Bedsheet

M

mylyn

I see a lot of those nice and new design of bedsheet on magazine. Usually with button, stripes, or plain design. Who knows which brand carries more of those up and coming design? How much do I need to budget. Well, first time buy bedsheet lah, so I don't know. Any advice? Comforter better or quilt with cover?

joyce

i recommend Wamsutta for its comfort.. its heavenly!! they have both antique looking as well as modern, contemporary designs..

john little at jurong point has periodic discounts on that brand.

err.. sorry.. but what's the difference between comforter and quilt? i thought its the same thing? pai seh

kpo

my friend bought her bedrm set (2 pillow cases, queensize bedsheet, comforter) for $500+ (after 20% discount)...i bought mine for only $50 (ok..i'm a cheapo!
happy.gif
)...so, depending on how much you are willing to pay...the price range is from $50-$500+...i know i'm not being too much of a help
happy.gif

tina

I think for comforter, the fabric is non-removable. You'll have to dump the whole thing into the washer to clean it. Whereas for quilts, you'll normally buy a separate quilt cover (removable); so you only wash the quilt cover. Hope that makes sense
happy.gif

Anyway, bought a Wamsutta bedsheet set + quilt cover set for $59 at Robinsons sale. Quite a good buy for bedsheet with 280 threadcount.

tina

I think quilts cannot be washed cos they are stuffed with cotton/down/goose feathers. You'll only need to sun it. Just need to wash the quilt cover
happy.gif

joyce

i got the quilt then.
happy.gif
however mine was king sized and cost 500+ for the entire set including quilt cover + 2 extra pillows and 2 extra bolsters. 20% off .. so KPO..seems like i got a slightly better deal than your friend.

wow tina!!you got a very good deal!! is it the lacy kind of bedsheet?

M

mylyn

Would someone recommend a few brands? I only know Syntex, Friven & Sheraldon. Elle? Does IKEA has nice designs too?

M

monica eng

Hi,
I heard Ikea's bed sheets only fit Ikea's bed. It's not the same size as our normal Queen/King bed. Izzit true? A friend told me this. So I only bought quilt covers from them. Actually you can buy Friven plain coloured sheets and get a nice quilt cover & quilt from Ikea. They have quite a good selection. And I think the price also pretty good.

And ppl with sinus and allergy problems may want to reconsider goose feathers. I was allergic to mine and I only found out recently.

kpo

Hi Monica,

I'm not sure about ikea's bedsheets...but I think the pillow cases that Ikea is selling are of funny sizes. Must check properly when buying.

dolphin

Hi all, Ikea does carry normal size bed sheet and cover nowaday, their pillow size is still one of a kind though. One thing to note is that although Ikea's bedsheet and cover are cheaper, they are generally of lower tread count and from my experince, they tear easily especially after a few wash, Mine torn after 3 washes.
sad.gif
I think tread count is very important and the higher the more comfortable. Got a set recently from Friven for about $130 (king size) with fitted sheet and matching pillow cases, I thing the tread count are 280. They feel sooo good even my usually blur blur hubby notice the different.
happy.gif

Hi Tina, may I know if the set you get from Robinson is 100%? do u think it's still available? I think you've got a very good deal and I would like to check it out myself.

C

chin leng

Hi all,

The other brand that I like is Perry. I just like the plain colour selection that they have. But I didn't buy any Perry set yet, the price is a bit on the high side.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

tina

Hi Joyce & dolphin,

Mine is not the lacy type - it's a simple contemporary design made up of black & white squares. Not sure whether it's 100% cotton, juz noticed that it's 280 threadcount and feels really nice
happy.gif

I haven't been to Robinsons lately so not sure whether they are still available. Try searching under the 'Wamsutta quilt cover set' sign - it comes in a bag containing the bedsheet set & another quilt cover set of matching design. Hope this helps
happy.gif

M

monica eng

Sorry huh, abit swa ku.... but what is threadcount??
Izzit the more the better?

tina

Yup, the more the better. Saw one that is 330 threadcount - feels very silky and cooling. But also very expensive
lame.gif
I think the higher the threadcount the more durable. My friend bought one that is 180 threadcount, the threads were coming loose after 2 washes. Maybe also depends on whether you use washing machine or handwash.

dolphin

Hi Tina, Thks for the info, will check out Robinson tonite
happy.gif

You are right about tread comming loose after few wash for bedsheet with lower tread count, my Ikea one definitely is comming loose, after 3rd wash! Personally I do not know of anyone who will handwash their bedsheet and cover nowaday. Unless I have a maid if not I think I will just dump everything into the machine lor......So I guess investing in better quality set will pay off in long run, rite? (now I know what to tell my hubby latter)

M

monica eng

Thanks for the info. Wow didn't know must look into all this when buying bedsheet. i always see design and colour only.

hmmmm I got the Ikea's Quilt coverset. After many washes. Still ok leh. Still very new. Feels thick too. I machine wash. How do you know the thread count?? I never notice it anywhere

M

mylyn

Friven only has plain colours right? Will I feel bored seeing plain colours everyday? Now headache which design to take, just like buying clothes.

honey

All my fitted sheets r plain colors, who i find it looks better than printed ones cos its easier to match with quilt covers. U can get printed quilt covers if u find plain colors boring.

Friven also carries other nice designs. Another brand I like is Peri, but its very expensive, so have not invest in that yet. I also like some designs from Urban Nature (something like that).

joyce

mine is the 330 one.. its heavenly~!! I think well.. its worth investing in , can last many many washes.. the higher the threadcount the better. important to be 100% cotton too.. but 100% cotton wrinkles easily.. so your bed looks perpetually wrinkled.. no amount of ironing or dusting will help.. its a trade off i guess.. always thought those polyester cotton kind looks neater

M

monica eng

WAH you all iron bed sheets??? I figured if i rolled on it more often it'll straighten out eventually. : P

I agree with honey on the plain colours. I like plain colour base too and match them with a patterned quilt cover.

dolphin

ya ya, 100% cotton really wrikles...but if I make the bed b4 I went to work, it'll flatten by the time I got home, I think they flatten quite easily also. But of course all these making of bed is quite tedious especially when in a rush. But no choice lor, I just love the softness, it make me sleep better leh. May be they should make quilt cover set which is polyster on the outside and 100% cotton on the inside?? that way, we can enjoy the softness while maintain the neat look rite???

joyce

wah.. dolphin .. why don't you patent your idea??? its really good!! I'll surely invest if you set up a company.

Monica.. I really regret ironing my bedsheet!! I will never ever do it again.. Super waste of time~~ I can't believe my hubby and i actually did the ironing on chu xi nite.. we got so tired

fennie

hi all

dunno if anyone still visit this thread...but everybody's talking about the thread count...how about this factor of down and feathers percentage? I had a fren who told me not to buy those goose down /feathers pillow or quilt becos after a while, the bed smell like a barn....is dat true?

kit

Hi mylyn
Aussino has very nice bedsheet sets too.They hv embroideries and unique designs.
Helo Fennie
I hv used my down feather pillow for 2 years. No smell so far. But I wont choose down feather again coz the pillow is heavy and too stiff. i still prefer using contour pillows.

fennie

Thanks Kit...but how about ur quilt? Wat's the best percentage of down and feathers to buy for quilts? Seems dat the sales people keep on telling me the higher the percentage of down, the better, and of cos dat's why it's more expensive....but i dun wan something too warm...in fact i wan something cooler....so, anyone any advice?

M

mylyn

Robinsons has a sale going on. I was there yesterday to grab some bedding. Of course lah, no King size liao.

I am also unsure what kind of quilt to buy. What about those 100% cotton ones? They are fluffy enough. I also find that down or feathers are similar, how to choose?

Someone please advise what you are using, and in air-conditioned room. Which is better?

deb

Hi

I do agree and think that Aussino has pretty bedsheets. Maybe you want to go to Tangs to take a look. My wedding is next year but I have bought mine coz they are pretty, red color with yellow thread hearts(looks like the olden days traditional type but this looks modern)And they mention that stocks r running low. They also have other types.

viancis

hi mylyn,

quilt filled with down only will very soft and fluffy and it won't poke you. but it's very expensive.
feather will actually poke out from the fabrics. it will be painful and messy when the feather start to come out from the fabric.
so better to buy combination of down and feather but preferable more % in down but will be more expensive.

hi Deb,
seems like we are having the same quilt cover for our wedding. what bed sheet colour do you match with ? i bought a satin cotton bedsheet in creamy gold colour. the fabric very very soft.

viancis

i bought it at robinson centrepoint. it's @ discounted price. i think the bedsheet + bolster cases, costs me $60++. forgot the actual price.

evelyn

Hi Deb,
Can I check with you whether the bedsheet you bought is it a quilt cover set or bedsheet set?
Saw the quilt cover set by Aussino but can't find the bedsheet set. Where did you get Yours?

Thanks.

sunflower

Hi Viancis,

Does robisons sells the Aussino set mentioned by Deb? and is robinsons still having discount?

how much did u get for the Aussino set?

thanks

dolphin

Hi all,

aussino just had their warehouse sale at Trade Mart. If you are interested, you can sign up as member at Aussino.com and get their newsletter. They also give discount to member who buy on-line.

Cheers

dolphin

Hi sunflower,

The last sale has ended but I think they have it quite often. I have not rec'd any news on their next sale yet, will post here once I got the info. Alternatively you may want to check out their web site or sign up as member, they usually e-mail all their member when there's a promotion. Happy shopping!

viancis

hi..

not sure whether robinson still have the set or not, or even still having discount ?
but like someone mentioned above, u can sign up for the aussino website.

can try the new robinson at city hall.

monica

Hey
Do check if you have any allergy to down.
I bought the pillows and all then realise recently that I was allergic to down. So that explains those breathless nights : P

claris

Down and feather both comes from goose. The down is a softer kind of material, from the chest area of goose only, quantity lesser, thus more expensive. Feathers is from the rest of the parts. That is why feather pokes! Down, not so much and keeps you warmer.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Claris,

Guess what? We were both right!
happy.gif

I looked up the dictionary, the definition of down is actually "Fine, soft, fluffy feathers". Haha!

Then it is not surprising that you can find quilt with duck feathers and others with goose feathers. When you buy quilt, check with the sales assistant regarding the feathers that is used as the down. Like Claris said, goose feathers are more expensive.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

D

desperate_claris

Hi all!

I need something insignificant badly. Would someone kindly give me your pillow bag, ie, the transparent cover with a zip when your new pillow arrives?

I need it because I have thrown away my bag, and now I have brought back my old house pillow to use, so I have no good 'bag' to keep the new pillow. If someone here just opened your package of new pillow (especially Simmons), please..plleeeaasssee contact me. Thanks!

viancis

hi desperate claris,
happy.gif

mine also throw away a long time ago.
you can use those dry clean plastic cover, or get those vacuum bag.

claris

thank you for your attention. I have found my bag accidentally. Now I can keep it in good condition. thanks again.

rachel

hi ! i am looking for bedsheets with unique designs...i have seen some very nice ones featured in the show 'Open Seamse' eg : the design of polar bears hugging together....

pls tell where can i get such designs

B

beeque

Me also looking for any other brands that have the T-shirt material. The Aussino one that i have now has turned hairy!!

questy

Hi rachel,
I think I saw "Muji" carrying the T-shirt material bed sheets, but dun knw if will "qi mao" easily ornot.