Bangkok-Shoping for wedding/home decor stuff

caicai

Hi folks ,
can i just check what are the key markets that have alot of wedding stuffs such as
1) wedding favours
2) wedding cards
3) Home essentials etc

Thanks for the infor.

khoosm

hey, i'm also planning to go there for buying home deco stuffs too! however like u, dun really have any idea how to go about it overthere. But i heard from my friend saying that there is a weekend market (big one) by the name of chachoochup (not sure of the spelling, but similar sound to this). when do u plan to go?

khoosm

hi, just found out. its patpong nite mkt, chaktuchak and pratunam mkt. heard that these places u have to try your best to slash prices. U can have a look at this forum under 'bangkok bangkok'. thats where i get the info. ^^ happy hunting at bangkok!

qhl

Chatuchak....can take their MRT there. Pratunam is for clothes (but note no trying). As for Patpong, it's more kitchsy stuff like t shirts, fake watches.

I like to go Siam Discovery Centre & Siam Centre cos that's where Propaganda and Loft is located. They have very interesting (but relatively pricey) adornments. It's like Alessi stuff, only cheaper. I just went and got me a sandstone planter in shape of a man - very cute....

mint

Hi,
Skip patpong if you can cos it's a rip off. The stuff are way much expensive than shopping malls.

caicai

by the way , there is another mkt - SUAN LOM ?
dunno if i got the spelling correct ....
heard that they hv stuff that Chatchuchak dun hv .
the food there is nice too.
the minus point wld be - NO access to BTS , so hv to take cab .
sad.gif

yamiyogurt

hihi caicai

the place u talking abt should be suan lum.
there are trendy home decor staff there (e..g futuristic clocks etc...) do go there to take a look. worth the cab ride :p

khoosm

Hi all, Is it possible to find stuffs that are of resort style? I mean since i intend to have my house renovate like a resort, thinking of buying things which are carved out of stone to decorate the walls. any idea which place is better to get these stuffs?

yamiyogurt

they have a lot of mango wood stuff in BKK...not sure whether it fits ur resort theme :p
As for stoe carvings...dun remember coming across

starfruit

i abolutely love the stuff they sell at Loft.

But if u girls want to buy cheap chopsticks/napkin etc as wedding favor, Chatuchap market is the plave to go. But do beware of pickpockets as the place can get really crowded and hot.

Just get out of the train station and follow the crowd to the market. Its quite easy to find.

chestnut

Hi Cai,

Im afraid u cant bargain at the LOFT cos its like a departmental store. They do hv sales sometimes. I would agree that the things there hv very nice and stylish. Depending on what you buy, the pricing are quite okay considering the fact that its air-conditioned and and that the decoration stuff all located there so you wont need to search in heat at the market.
happy.gif

Hi bert,
If u wan resort style stuff, I came across quite a lot in the weekend market, dunno how to describe 2u where but if u chance by the area, it will be the whole are selling similar stuff. All the woody woody stuff but stone ones like cant remember seeing...

caicai

hi folks , i just returned fm BKK
share with you what i hv seen

SUAN LOM- alot of nice , unique ceramics . Of coz pricier than Chatchuchak , but the handicraft is better , more exquisite .

Chatchuchak - alot of woody stuff , carvings . I came across water features too. <stoney>
seen alot of buddha statues there too <wood>
Houseware like your crockery , pots n pans ....
ceramics too.
Nice , ambience lightings , table side lamps in thai silk , rattan , paper etc .

norish

Wow!
Me going to BKK next weekend AND getting house keys end of this month with plans to go woody in terms of the decor. So can't wait to buy the stuffs you gals have described!

yuuri

Hi Norish,
Share your findings ok? I'm going end of the month and would like to pick up some stuff as well
happy.gif

missy_me

hi ppl, can i check, if u want to buy big items, can we arrange for courier services??
how does it works?? by shipment or by plane?? is it very expensive??

bugs

hi missy me,
u means the wedding favours?
the shop provide the courier service cos they dun have the stock.
can only sent to u 1 month later. as for those nite market u got cash n carry.

bugs

sorry as for the cost depents on the weight and how big the item. 1st 10kg is $27 if i'm not wrong.

ochgal

Hi, I heard from my friends, if you buy stuff at Chatuchak, they actually have a counter within the market. So you can make the arrangements there.. but as for the other shops, think got to cash and carry. Me also keen to find out how to arrange for courier services. I am thinking of buying lights, cushion covers, wedding favors and dining set from Bangkok...

keiki

hi, they've got many courier services there. if you are buying quite a lot of stuff, try TNT, i checked out quite a few and they have the best rates, i couriered my stuff last yr. i tink it's $150 for 50kg of stuff. it's sent to your door step. and they do bubble wrapping for you to protect the items. i couriered my crockery from there etc

keiki

hi anna, sorry for the late reply, i rarely come into this thread. tnt is located within chatuchak market itself. u can just bring ur stuff to them and leave it there while u go shopping, and juz keep going back to deposit ur goods until u're done at the end of the day. u can prob check which section when u're there. i can't really remember, may be section 2 or 6. but ask the ppl there, they shld know...

yuuri

KEIKI!!!

Noo....I am not stalking you LOL....I posted up there somewhere before :p

Anna, to add on to what Keiki said...there are quite a few courier services within the market and lots of boards advertising the various locations...

dawn45

Hi ohstrawberry

Thanks for the info. Wonder if Pratunam is worth going . Also, me looking for modern contemporary stuff for home decor. Any idea where can i find such stuff in bkk?

ohstrawberry

I heard from the other forum users, saying Pratunam not bad lor, got sell alot of things. I haven't been there the last time when i was there, but definately will go there this coming March.
For home stuff, i also not very sure. Can look ard at MBK or Chatuchak market.
U can refer to this web for more info, but mostly in Chinese.
http://www.thailandfans.com/second.html

mehmeh_lim

Hi all

I've just returned fr my trip.. Chatuchak is really worth the trip &amp; all the walking. I managed to find paper flowers and ribbons, for church deco, at very cheap prices.

On my 2nd day at Chatuchak, I even found furniture and lots of home deco stuff, as well as crockery. I am so tempted to make another trip in June to place order for my furniture &amp; courier back. The bed I was looking at wld cost ard S$350, and if courier charges are gd (like what Keiki mentioned) then I wld save a huge amt for the same thing in S'pore.

Ooh, i am still having Chatuchak hang-overs...

Pratunam is one of the largest whole-sale market in Asia for clothes. All sorts of clothes, young, old, trendy, auntie. even maternity! Just a tip if u intend to buy clothes fr Pratunam, unlike Chatuchak, u aren't allowed to try. In addition the trendier clothes for ladies seem mainly to be XS-sized. I personally feel tt the range at Chatuchak is great if not better than Pratunam's. But if you are looking for more office-wear then I think Pratunam or MBK wld be a better option.

dawn45

hi mehmeh

seems u enjoyed yr shopping spree. so how much was yr courier charges when u sent yr crockery and stuff back? which feight co? U found the bed in chatuchak too?? Ya paper flowers and ribbon- hmm how cheap are they?? When is yr wedding btw?

So how many days u went there and u covered which places? Not sure how much sgd i must change to get so much stuff there.

mehmeh_lim

Hi Dawn

Yeah u're right I really enjoyed the shopping spree. Unfortunately I only changed S$500 for this trip, so I didn't manage to buy my furniture, home decor and crockery as yet. But my FH and myself are almost 90% sure of going back there to get tt bed, if not sthg similar.

My wedding's coming Sept.. My mum was quite excited to see the flowers and ribbons tt we are more or less done with the deco (Pix 1, below). Each rose was 6baht, i bought 120 of them so they charged me 4baht each. That works out to be abt $0.17 each. Each roll of ribbon cost me 40baht and tt works out to be $1.70.

I also got my materials for wrist corsages (Pix 2, below). 1 packet of probably 100 small paper roses for 80baht. Now I got to think creatively what can I do with the remainder..

I was there for 4days fr Fri - Mon.. I went to MBK, Chatuchak, Pratunam. Didn't manage to go Suan Lum, becoz I was pretty pleased with my purchases at those places.

232339.jpg

Pew Deco

232340.jpg

Wrist Corsage

yuuri

mehmeh,
Can share what soi/section is the furniture shop that you found? I always can't seem to find the furniture shops in the market!!!
Also, if you courier the furniture back, do we have to pay any import tax? Also, u not scared the bed come back scratched or broken leg ah?

mehmeh_lim

Hi Yuuri

If i do not remember wrongly the furniture shop I found was very near the pet/animal section. I didn't pay attention which Soi exactly it was in.

Definitely there are some concerns abt what to do if there are damages when the furniture arrives. Tt's where my 10% of uncertainty lies... Gee, i didn't know abt import tax.. Hmm, looks like I gotta work my maths again

yuuri

Mehmeh,
U never take their namecard? Later can't find it back...
I go there quite often but always can't find furniture shop!!! We were also thinking of importing back furniture but were afraid of the taxes and damages....:p

mehmeh_lim

Hi Yuuri

Abit hard to take the name card lah, they seem to have great difficulty in communicating. Cross my fingers &amp; toes tt I can find tt shop again and when I shd import the furniture.

My colleague mentioned he had made his dining table and chairs in M'sia and then transported to S'pore. Maybe I check with him on taxes etc? But you gotta be patient, coz we're on sch hols

peiyi

Hi Mehmeh,

Somethings ask u,

How to go Pratunam from Arnoma hotel?? By walk or by taxi? Suan Luam far from Arnoma hotel?? How much the taxi charge?

Can give more about BKK shopping tips? My house very done yet, so i dun think wan go thare buy for house stuff and wedding things. Others that things, any tips can advice for me ??

mehmeh_lim

Hi Peggy

Pratunam is near Arnoma.. Definitely within walking distance. Think a couple of the other girls have gave u some tips on tt in the 'Bangkok thread'. Quite straight fwd
happy.gif

I did Nail Art at MBK area, quite cheap. About 100 - 300b for all ten nails, dependant on design. But no cuticle trimming and shaping. If u need/ want, have to pay abit more. But shdn't be too ex.

Things at MBK gotta pay more than Chatuchak. So I didn't really enjoy tt. Cannot go MBK too late, they start closing shop ard 8.30pm. You can get pretty nice shoes at 199b, though I didn't get them.

As for Suam Lum, I didn't go leh.. Coz I read fr someone's posting like more ex lah. I spent 2 whole days at Chatuchak and evenings at MBK. I don't see very well in the dark, so shopping malls are better for me in the night. But I think take cab better. Seems Suam Lum more organise than Chatuchak, tt's a plus point for SL.

Hi qiqi

Thanks for the compliment!
kiss.gif
I made the corsages myself. The flowers &amp; ribbon are fr Chatuchak. There aren't many shops selling paper flowers, I think less than 5? And they aren't next to each other, but more or less in Section 8. There's a huge variety of colours. Just make sure u get the paper flowers, not those ornamental plastic ones, the latter are for vases.

dawn45

hi mehmeh

wow the corsages look great...mind sharing how u made it?( i am quite bad in arts n craft). so the flower in pic 1 is meant for ....??
Ya i also want to know more abt taxes if we courier items back. How do they charge? So worried if we buy crockery back, they will charge us a bomb.

mehmeh_lim

Hi Dawn

The rose-ball in Pix 1 is meant for the church pews. Will be hanging it along the pews. Not quite finished as they are somewhat plain and not volumnous enough. Heehee
wink.gif

As for the corsages.. At the bottom of each paper rose, there is a wire. Holding the roses in place, i twisted the wires together. Then i tied the ribbon thru it.
Hahah, I don't know if u know what I am tokking abt here. When u have the actual materials with u, the processes in making the finished product will somehow fall in place.
happy.gif

I still am clueless abt the taxes issue... I don't suppose right? Not tt many items to be classified as commercial purposes. However the value of the couriered items may decide whether taxes are to be imposed? I am really not sure..

dawn45

Hi Mehmeh

Thanks for yr info...thats indeed valuable to me. So u intend togive yr corsages to yr guests at church wedding or dinner? Which hotel have u booked for ur dinner?

mehmeh_lim

Hi Dawn

My corsages will only be for the jie meis... Unless I want to give to my female cousins, which I have many! That will definitely take a long long time to do them.
My hotel is Orchard hotel, not Orchard Parade

Cheers

dawn45

hi mehmeh

congrats. u must be very excited now. How abt yr BS? which one have u chosen? Me deliberating btw getting rom package or bs package...Any advice?

mehmeh_lim

Hi Dawn

Yupz I've gotten my BS oredi. Signed up with Yvonne Creative. As I'm having a church wedding, I do not require any ROM services. Most BSs wld offer ROM package with the BS packages. If some do not, do negotiate for them... Saves u the effort of finding a make-up-artiste &amp; ROM gown/dress.

Some BSs i think tt i wld highly recommend include: The wedding present; Yvonne Creative; Ritz Couture; Julia Wedding News; Silhouette

dawn45

Hi Mehmeh

I will also be having my church wedding n customary next year, but rom going to be this year. So now quite headache. Have u heard of sattine and allure charix? ANy comments on this?

mehmeh_lim

Hi Dawn

Yupz, heard of both Sattine &amp; Allure Charix.. Sattine looks pretty glamourous to me. Not too sure if they are expensive. But I have read some feedback in their thread under "Bridal boutiques &amp; services", mainly positive ones.

Allure Charix sells gowns (WG, EG &amp; tea dresses). There's no full one-stop package at AC. So if you intend to purchase gowns, I gotta admit its value for money. Afterwhich you can either DIY ur whole wedding or offset when u sign up with a BS.

Which month's ur ROM &amp; AD?