Bangkok - Samran Place Hotel, Good ???

paopei

Horray ... I managed to book Airasia $9.99/way for Oct 2005. Will go for 6D/5N and plan to stay at Samran Place. Anybody stay at there before ? Please kindly advise ... help !!!

ohstrawberry

Hi, paopei

I never stay in Samran Place before but heard both good and bad comments about this hotel.
It's a new hotel in Siam area, behind Asia Hotel, location wise is quite convenient.
Read travellers reviews here: http://www.asiarooms.com/reviews/thailand/bangkok/samran_place-hotel-reviews/21896.html

Samran place website : http://www.samran.com/sitemap.asp

Do share with us when you are back. Anyway i'm going to BKK in october too, still deciding on my hotel stay. I'm going from 28 Oct to 2 Nov, when yours?

paopei

Hi Ohstawberry, actually I have read the reviews from the asiarooms (thanks, anyway) but I read some pro and contra. Thought wanna find second opinion from the forum here. But looks like nobody stay at there before. I'll go in Oct too 6 Oct - 11 Oct (5D 4N). Plan to stay at Samran for 3N and White ORchird hotel 1 N.
Can I ask u something ? How to go to the Grand Palace cause I dun plan to book by agent. Is it very troublesome if we go by ourselves ? Thanks

ohstrawberry

Hi, paopei

Depending on how u wanna go to Grand Palace. there are 2 ways - from Chao Phraya river or mainly by cab.
The last time i went by the river route, get to enjoy the river scenery. Take BTS to Saphan Taksin S6 station, take exit 2 and go to Chao Phraya River Express Boat Pier.
I had taken the Tourist Boat (operation hrs : 9.30am to 3pm, boat departs every 30min), 75B per pax, free 1 bottle of mineral water and 1 Chao Phraya Travel Guidebook, it's an unlimited river pass for 1 day.
For Grand Palace, alight at Tha Chang (Pier N9) also named Maharaj Pier and just follow the sign to Grand Palace. Entrance fee is 200Bahts
Then from there to Wat Pho, need to walk about 5min, there's sign showing the way, if not u can ask other tourists for the way. Entrance fee is 20Baht.
It's indeed a unforgettable experience for me, i enjoy the boat ride though it's abit bumpy.

Another easier way is by cab, just tell cab driver to Wat Pho, Grand Palace or Wat Phra Kaeo.

For the photos i took on last trip in March 05, pls click: http://sg.pg.photos.yahoo.com/jennyoh23

paopei

Hi Ohstrawberry, thanks so much for the information. Will update u later about the Samran Place. Actually I found 1 new hotel Bangkok City Suite, cheap about 700 baht for double room, looks quite nice but a bit far compare than Samran Place.

ohstrawberry

Hi, paopei

Ok. Do keep me inform of your stay at Samran Place.
I still thinking of stay at Bangkok city Inn again as it's very near to all major shopping area like Pratunam market, WTC and Chitlom Central. Anyway i will look around then decide. Thanks for your info.

kejo

hi paopei,

may i know how much u pay for staying at SAMRAN per nite?

I'm considering going in Sept.

shin_yan

Hi all,

Just happened to chance into this thread.
I had stayed in Samran Place during my trip to Bangkok in May this year. I found the hotel through asiarooms and booked from there.Price is about 33SGD for a double room. It is a new hotel which had just started operations last year.

Generally, the room is clean. Air con working well...breakfast is good (not buffet but choose from a variety of set meal) They have a bathtub and shampoo, towel, etc all provided. Most importantly, the location is convenient! Just a 5 mins walk from the BTS, behind Asia Hotel and price a lot cheaper than Asia.

The cons...only encounter once. In the middle of one night, was woken up by the noise made by some people who are drunk at the corridor and can clearly hear what they are saying!

paopei

Hi Shin Yan, thanks for ur feedback. Hm ... I think I will just stay at Samran Place. Very convenient and cheap ...

ahjo77

Hi Paopei

I am jsut back from BKK and stayed at Samran place for 3 n n overall the room is clean and cold but dun expect faciful deco as it a small n cosy room/hotel.

Ya ,Shin yan is rite ,bfast comes in a set...

another hotel u may consider is Fisrst which i stayed in my last trip in march

paopei

AhJo, thanks for ur info. First Hotel, is it? I think I still prefer Samran ... it's new and convenient and clean. That's important cause I bring my 4 years old gal

ahjo77

Hi Pao Pei

My hubby colleague also bring along their 4 year old daughter and she is ok with the place , however they took the delux room which is bigger n have a bath tub whereas my standard one only come with a shower stand...

First Hotel is nearer to Pratunam while Samran is near to rachatewi Bts and dun ahve to cross any main road to reach the BTS station.

paopei

Hi SHin Yan, really huh? Standard room got bathtub? Hm ... nvr mind, I will ask my Thai collg to call them and ask hehehehe thanks anyway ... cannot wait already ... hehehhe

kejo

hi shinya/ah jo77,

Thanks for the feedback!

Guess i wld choose this hotel after hearing your comments..
happy.gif

ohstrawberry

Hi, paopei

You know what, I had decided to stay at Samran Place after seeing all the positive feedbacks here and already placed my reservations. Thanks for your assistance.
happy.gif

ahjo77

HI Erik

There is 2 massage shop near to the way towards the BTS ,however i din try them as i had my message done at chang and another near to pratunam..
as for hawker food there is qute a few stalls there ...while walking back from MBK u will pass by a stall selling pad thai n oyster n one ewanton mee stall n they are not abd and cheap..its jsut outside 7 eleven

erikbecker

Hi AhJo
thks for your feedback. i think samran place location is very good despite its cheap charges. think will be another popular lodging for singaporean. When i come back from my bkk trip will come back here and feedback here..cheers

paopei

HI Ohstrawberry, u'r wlcome
happy.gif
I think I will stay at there too ... will update u later
Hi Erik, When is ur trip to Bangkok?
Hi SHin Yan, wanna check with u something ... about the bed, is it queen or King size ? Thanks ...

icebaby0

paopei,

I heard quite a few comments seems that Bangkok City Suite seems okay.

Aiyah, wasted...if not I will stay at samran place...nevermind, next time go...stay there.

Anyone going bangkok in Aug anot?

icebaby0

paopei,

I can't remember. I went thru alot of forums to look for eastin hotel the last time. So for an actual website, I am sorry i don't have lor.

erik...wah...same time as me. I will be going bangkok and pattaya on the 24th - 29th Aug too!

icebaby0

erik,

Mine is a package tour for bangkok and pattaya (includes F&E for Bangkok). So we took Eastin instead of Asia Hotel because was told that Eastin was more clean and comfortable. (My relatives just took this package in June)

Day 1 - arrive bangkok late morning. Will check-in then go to MBK. At night, Chinatown
Day 2 - Set off to Pattaya tour, stay Pattaya for the nite
Day 3 - Will be in Pattaya, going to Coral Island, stay Pattaya for the nite
Day 4 - Will leave Pattaya, dreamworld, etc, stay in Bangkok. (At night go Suan Lam/around WTC)
Day 5 - F&E Bangkok --> Morning and afternoon CCK market. Evening --> At night go Suan Lam/around WTC shopping/Pathuwana (can't spell)
Day 6 - MBK, Pathuwana around the area (walking distance). Check out at 5pm to airport. Back Singapore

Something like that. I wrote it down liao but I forgot. Haha.

How abt urself?

mandysst

understand that there is a place which sell japanese food buffet. think it is in a hotel or a resturant. anyone been there and know where it is?

ohstrawberry

Hi, mandy seet

You can try Oishi Grand buffet japanese restaurant in Siam Discovery. Another japanese food restaurant but not buffet style is Fuji Japanese Restaurant at Siam Center, MBK or Emporium, i had tried this restaurant at Emporium, the food is good and price is not expensive.

erikbecker

Hi Icebaby,

think i will cover
Sightseeing - dreamworld,pattaya
Shopping - Pratunam Mkt,WTC,MBK,Chatuchak,Suan Lum & Patpong.

But all diy lar, will go and book from the agency over there. But heard pattaya only available on tue, thur and sat..must check it out

erikbecker

Hi Icebaby,

think i will cover
Sightseeing - dreamworld,pattaya
Shopping - Pratunam Mkt,WTC,MBK,Chatuchak,Suan Lum & Patpong.

But all diy lar, will go and book from the agency over there. But heard pattaya only available on tue, thur and sat..must check it out

mandysst

hi ohstrawberry,

thanks for the info. do you know the buffet is for lunch or dinner only or lunch and dinner all have? thanks

icebaby0

erik,

I hope u have a wonderful time. Mi hope to go down to chinatown to have a look cos never been there. Alot of exercise and walking!! Heehee

ohstrawberry

Hi, mandy seet and paopei

The buffet is for both lunch and dinner but the price is different.
If i can still remember, the lunch(11am-3pm) is 650B per pax and dinner(5pm-10pm) is at 850B per pax,prices are before tax. It's slightly higher priced than the other restaurants as it's more like a 5-star restaurant. Good food and service.
Last time used to be 500B per pax but the price had increased.

Hi, icebaby

If you have time to spare, u should go Chinatown in the day time, sampeng lane is so crowded and lots of things to see and buy. Last time i went, i saw alot of shops selling hair accesories (in bulk), bags wholesale, silver accesories, alot more.... so exciting and everything is so cheap.
Dun buy things at patpong, it's rather expensive compared to other prices, looking around will do.

kejo

hi

Does anyone knows why is there a prices diff in tax for TG and SQ?
I've booked TG flight to BKK and surprise to see the tax amount cost $105!.. SQ chrg only $79.
Anyone knows wat does the $105 comprises of?

Too long never travel.. didnt realise tat the tax has gone up so much..

rocher_ho

Hi all,
after readin the post here, i've also booked my bkk tickets from Tigerairways and will be going in oct. Last trip to BKK was abit 6 or 7 ys ago. So excited and cant wait to go there and do all the shoppin and eating..
happy.gif

Btw, dun know which hotel to stay too, either samran place or bangkok city inn. Any advise? Cos not sure which one is better in terms of convenience.

Hi Kejo,
is TG tigerairways? I've booked them too. And my tax is $75 per pax for return flight.

ohstrawberry

Hi, Rocher

I had stayed at Bangkok City Inn last trip. I would admit that it's very convenience for shopping cause near to Pratunam market, WTC, Central Chitlom, Erawan Shrine, etc... However i find their service still need to be improve, first day i reach, they attend to their locals first even we came first. Then we had to wait for ard 1hr before we can checked in. Then their breakfast we dun get to have it at all, cause we so fed up of waiting and everyday u had to go the counter to take the breakfast coupon, so troublesome...
And worst is the day of check out, they wanna charges us the money for a can of beer, my husband and I so puzzled, we didn't even take anything from their fridge. Then i had to argue with them to get my money back. Overall feel of the hotel, convenient but service sucks, only their bellboys looks friendier in the whole hotel.
I'm trying out Samran Place for next trip, hopefully turns out to be better, anyway it's a new hotel, worth trying. It's also convenient cause near to BTS station and near Siam shopping area.

When you going on OCT?

rocher_ho

Hi ohstrawberry,
thanks so much for ur info. Seems like the only advantage that Bangkok City Inn has is only the location. Seems quite bad on their service. Btw,
came across this web for BKK hotel accomodation. Price seems cheaper. Do check it out: http://www.precisionreservations.com/ph-aspx-city_id.9395-db-hoteldatabase/PHCOther.htm. The price here for Bangkok City Inn is at $27 but not sure if it includes taxes or not.
Think Samran place not bad cos there are alot of compliments on their set breakfast..
happy.gif
My trip will be from 20th - 25th Oct. How abt you?

ahjo77

The bfast at Samran place is not unlimited , you get to choose one set out of the choices, onli th coffee n tea is refillable.

Cheers