Bangkok palace, d'ma pavilion or eastin - which hotel is better?

sunjade

Thinking of making a trip up to bangkok to take advantage of the SQ promotion. Can anyone advise me on which of these three hotels (bangkok palace, d'ma pavilion or eastin) is better? In terms of location, hotel room amenitied & safety, and price? thanks!

snowy_stars

so far i hve not stayed in the hotels u mentioned above ... but i usually stayed in Asia Hotel which is just besides the BTS (bangkok version of MRT) and the location is central ... major shopping malls like Mah Boon Krong, World Trade Center, Siam Square are all nearby. The hotel is a 3.5 star i think ... not fancy type one ... room is ok ... clean ... services are ok as well if u are not those fussy type. Only bad things i heard so far is that there are ghosts in the hotel ... i hve stayed there for 3 times and did not encountered any "unusal" things ...
happy.gif

okeanosmao

i've stayed in d'ma b4. so far not bad..like everything..their service oso quite gd..the eastin hotel which is besides d'ma, oso not bad..seems like eastin n d'ma the same standard.

snowy,
i've heard only guys who stayed in asia hotel saw female ghosts..heard many guys said, but duno hw true is this.

andreal

hey sunjade,
i've stayed at D'MA hotel..came bk fr BKK trip ard a mth. Overall we r satisfied wif the hotel's amenities, bkfast wise consider nt bad..hmm quite safe. During our trip, we r told to put a deposit when check-in, their restaurant under reno..so we had bkfast at a big function rm.
Hv not stay @Eastin and Bangkok Palace b4, but i do find Eastin's lobby much nicer cos of the lighting and deco hehe. BTW fr wat i observed, it seem that Eastin and D'MA are more favourable among the 3.

hi snowy & okeanosmao,
abt Asia Hotel.. my fren's fren (a guy) encountered 'that' during his trip just wks b4 ours. So no matter hw, i will nvr nvr stay at Asia.

wenn

I find D'ma is nice but too far from the BTS. Most of the time, we would be staying at Asia Hotel. So far, din experience those things lah...

happy.gif

okeanosmao

andreal, wenn,

mayb only guys encounter tat..cos been hearing all these frm guys n none frm gal frens.

yes, d'ma is nice but far frm MBK areas..its near pratunam mkt n baiyoke sky hotel. walking distance ard 15-20mins.

cosmicstar

Dun stay at Dma Hotel, although its beside Bangkok Palace, not many taxi drivers know where it is. Last time I always have to tell them "makasan road" then they will understand. And yes, Dma is far from the popular shopping areas like World Trade Centre, MBK. Actually CityInn Hotel is not bad, price about the same as Dma, but the location is just opp WTC.

snowy_stars

hmmm ... my latest trip to BKK was in march 2004 with a group of friends ... 4 gals 2 guys ... but our guys friends never say anything abt the "thing" ... maybe we stayed in adjacent rooms so the power of 4 gals outcast the "thing" ... hahahaha ...

okeanosmao

hi java,

i think so, d'ma not many taxi drivers knw..but luckt those i encounter ones they knew where.

snowy,

yah, mayb u went in a group. if nt, those things will come n look for guys...hee...

andreal

hi ladies
happy.gif
wat okeanosmo said kinda true lor, cos tos dat i heard met the 'thing' are guys, some of em went there alone on biz trip. But of cos not every1 will encounter this kinda thing..still it make mi scared lor :p 1st day of my trip we always make an effort to go Erawan Shrine pray pray so dat everything goes smoothly during trip.

wenn,
for us, cos we more focused ard pratunam and the types of facilities ard the hotel which we can roam ard get supper/massage after we bk fr shopping so prefer the hotels ard there, then just walk bk hotel sleep kkeke. Guess it really depend on individuals..hey btw can ask u is the bts crowded? esp. evening time? so paisay till nw i haben try taking it hehe..cos i scare wif all the big bags small bags cld it be hard to squeeze in?

hi java,
hehe nxt time mayb u wana use name card method cos it always work, save time explaining, cabbies can't kay siao say dun know which hotel u tokig abt. Yup D'MA is away fr MBK etc, its nearer to Pratunam instead. BTW there's a big pharmacy ard Siam Sq called 'Boots', its worth getting spa products ley.

Oh can tell mi more abt City Inn? thks
happy.gif

Anyone here got any info on Eastin/indra Regent/Baiyoke Suite?

teebs

City Inn is a avery old and run down hotel. The last time I went to BKK, I met two Australian tourists who complained that they were bitten by bed bugs when staying in the hotel.

DMA, Eastin and Bangkok Palace all all next to one another. They're not that far from WTC, about 10 mins walk if you know the way.

cosmicstar

hi Peter,
DMA is NOT near WTC. I wouldn't advise walking there. Bangkok is not like S'pore. If you were to walk to WTC, your face will end up very sooty with dirt from the vehicles.

Yes. City Inn is not as near as DMA, but I didn't have the problem of bed bugs. In terms of price and location, its just next door of WTC and is very popular among Singaporeans. Of course their American Breakfast Buffet is not fantastic either. Most of the time we won't be in the hotel, but shopping till we drop in Bangkok.

Hi Andreal,
We did use the name card method. But the taxi drivers in Bangkok are not as educated as those in S'pore. They can't even read the map!

One word of advice, when you come out of your hotel, be careful of those "taxi drivers" who ask you where you want to go, then they tell you they will bring you to visit diamond factory, food factory for free, after that they will bring you to your destination free of charge. Last time I stupid stupid follow them, after I came out of the diamond factory, the "taxi driver" is gone!

teebs

Hi Java,

I always stay at Bangkok Palace whenever I go to BKK. Trust me, if you know how to walk the shortcut to WTC, it is only about 10 mins walk and you won't walk until your face is all sooty.

If you want to stay at a hotel that is cheap and convenient, then I would recommend Asia Hotel. It is next to the BTS station and you can take the BTS to most of the shopping areas in BKK, including Chatuchak weekend market.

lionaxue

I just came back fm BBK. Staying at BBk palace. overall the htl not worth staying. Out of the way. room old and suck. breakfast worst. One thing, the lobby staff (not reception) very friendly.

genesisgalaxy

In bangkok, what do u expect? Pls remember that bangkok is not singapore. Do not expect first class service if you're paying for a 3* hotel. Even then, the standards between singapore and bangkok hotels will differ due to different cultures. I find it extremely disturbing that Singaporeans often bring demanding expectations overseas, forgetting that not every country is run as efficiently as singapore.

No doubt that bangkok is old, and some of the staff do not know how to speak english or have no idea what you are saying, pls remember that unlike singapore, not all thais are highly educated and thus the criteria for employment may not be as stringent as that in singapore.

Rooms are old, breakfast suck....sometimes I think that we shld be thankful that we are financially stable and able to travel and enjoy life while millions out there live in poverty. Sometimes, it's not a matter of one being the paymaster, the one who pays for service and expects a certain level of dominance. We are all humans, it's natural to err. Be contented with what you have, that's my personal mantra.

bigshow78

i just come back from BBk,5D/4N stay in Baiyoke suite by swiss air only cost me $322 included everything expect bkk airport tax.overall hotel service not bad.room and breakfast also nice.

trazz

hi kenny.. hows Baiyoke suite?
i am going BKK xmas. actually wanna stay at asia but fully book, the agency changed us to baiyoke suite but after some reading in the forum, i upgraded to baiyoke sky

bigshow78

hi trazz,

actually Baiyoke suite not bad if u r not really need a high class hotel.it come with a living hall first before enter to bedroom.consider a 3 star hotel.as for Baiyoke sky sure good lol,cos is a new hotel and expensive too.both hotel is near to Pratunam market.

bigshow78

hi minty,
i think they open till ard 10pm.cos i ever stay at estin hotel (jz behind d'ma) when on the way back to hotel at night saw them start packing up ard that time.but i dont dare to eat lol cos look not hygen ,better dont try it.

momopo

i've heard that a lot of taxi drivers may not know where d'ma hotel is, do what other landmarks can we point out to guide them?

jerinehsu

hi just asking.. sorry if i am repeating.. is the location of the Baiyoke sky good? pls advice.. first time going.. so am thinkin of the hotel.. but too sure.. so need ya kinda advice. Also, comparatively to other hotels, is this hotel considered on the pricey side?thnks!

momopo

for baiyoke sky, i heard from my friend that u'll have to take cab everywhere so it may not be a good location.

i'll recommend arnomo, very good location, better than pathuwan princess to me.

professor

hi minty and jerine hsu...

Baiyoke sky is a good hotel and tallest hotel is bangkok...actually is jz 5 minute walk from Pratunam market and 20 minute walk from world trade center and MBK .In bangkok taking cab is very cheap and comfortable,all the cab is very nice.

geramine

hihi... goin to BBK in sept.. juz doin some readin on the hotels n shopping ctrs.. Asia hotel reali got 'unusual' things? tght of stayin there coz its quite cheap.. got ani other hotels to recommend tat its cheap n at gd shopping location? wat shopping ctrs do u all recommend other den MBK?

rhino

Hi gals
Just to share, bak fr BKK last week. Stay at Eastin for 3 nites.. pretty satisfied with rooms + services.

Was transferred to Bangkok Palace on 1st nite due to full house at Eastin. Though upgrade to deluxe room.. the room size is smaller & overall very old facilites.. dare not use the bath-tub **... Will nv ever want to stay there!

However, many taxi drivers not sure of Eastin location, so we carry the hotel namecard with location map.

diijai

Sawatdii Khun Geramine,

Do consider Novotel Siam Square. Pay a bit more, but it is right smack in the middle of Siam Square and next to MBK, so excellent shopping locale.

For shopping ctrs, you may wish to consider Siam Square, Emporium(which can be reached by BTS), and to really be mixing it with the locals, you might want to consider Central Lat Phrao.

While shopping is shiok, don't forget to pamper your feet with a foot massage.

Chok dii na...

alhana

Hi Geramine

Wrote to you in the other BKK thread. Nah, Asia doesn't have 'unusual' things..at least we didnt' encounter anything unpleasant during our stay..save for an uncomfortable bed :p The room is kinda old tho..and bathroom lighting is so dim. I like my bathrooms brightly lit! Less gloomy.

professor

hi,

is true lol some cab driver not know where is eastin,but u jz need to tell them Bangkok palace and when reach u jz walk a bit to eastin hotel lol jz beside only mah.i stay there twice,overall not bad.

peiyi

hi,

Can help me? D'm paviliao breakfast is american breakfast or buffet breakfast??

How about Baiyoke sky buffet?

I haven deciede choose which hotel? B'cos of the price. Anyone stayed at D'ma pavilion b4, can tell me how izzit of the bedroom, breakfast, service?

Thank you.

snowysoul

My experience from bangkok palace is the worst.If u want hell services..you canfind there.Baiyoke sky buffet very gd.

jozy

Hi Peggy,

I stayed at Dma last time when I was at BKK. their bf is buffet style...yummy. service very good.

bedroom is great, cosy, nice.

peiyi

hi,Ryes

Thank you so much ur information.
Very helpful for me and i feel confidence wif D'ma pavilon.

therat

haha... snowysoul.. u also had this feeling arrr...
That time, I stay in their hotel. They give me a rm w/o any window. I thought I kenna jail.
happy.gif

I never try D'pavilion.

So far only stay @ Eastin and Asia Hotel.

I prefer Eastin as they had more choice of bf. Asia limited. Eat 2 days alraedy sian.

But take note for Eastin, some of the taxi driver does not know where is this hotel. I kenna once, shown them the hotel name card, they also can sent me to other hotel.

If the taxi driver don't know where is Eastin. U told him Bangkok Palace. Then when nearby, told him to turn to Eastin. As they are quite nearby.

Or you can use the Eastin old name.. I think is princess.. double check with the counter.

richie888

consider centrepoint pechburi 15 along pratunum rd. it's an apartment. something different from normal hotels. i've stayed there for 4 nites just last week. cost around 1600bht a nite with b/fast. let me noe if u want more info. i even take some pics of room there.

richie888

hi there peggy n ohstrawberry

maybe u can send me a mail at [email protected]
so i can forward to u the pics i've taken or tell u more about it...

i would suggest the mode of transport to be taxi since it cost less than 100bht even to weekend mkt. the closest bts station is at least a good 15mins walk. Anyway the security is very friendly, they will even call the cab in for u without tips or u can get one easily on the main road.

Peggy...
B/fast wise..... normal buffet style. coffee is freshly brew kind right from coffee machine (diy, just press button).

strawberry......
i can give u the address in thai if u keen on it. It's just opposite pratip centre (only IT centre in BKK) most of the taxi will know where is it....

Anyway...here's the web add to the place.

http://www.centrepoint.com/Locations/Petchburi_a.aspx

contact me on the above email add if u want to know more as i might not come in here daily. A word of advice, u can get cheaper rates than wat is publish on their website.

Thanks n cheers

twish

I stayed at d'ma in 2000, a few days after a sporean was discovered in a bathtub.. murdered. We had rooms below that floor and over the next 4 days, all kinds of creepy things took place. Just the thought of it now still brings on the goosebumps!

Asia Hotel is old and bathrooms are a little dark.. otherwise, nothing scary at all.

terilyn

Hi all,

I already settled on the dates to BBK n airfare, but still not decide which Hotel.

Heard that Eastin is Value for $$$, but not near MBK,Siam area, is near the Pratunam Market n not near any Skytrain stn.

My worry is mode of transport. May I know for 4 adults, is taking Taxi cheaper or taking skytrain ?

Also consider Samran Place, which is near BTS but is a small hotel with 24rooms, some commends that some nights, the rooms just black-out.

Of cos' prefer Eastin but just worry about transport.

Can anyone advise ?

Thanks.

icebaby0

There is no problem in transport at Eastin (via cab). There is always cab waiting around.

But like I mention, it's a bit of a walk (at least 10 -20 mins...depends how fast u walk) to the BTS. BTS pricing is based on how many stops u go to.

Anyway, taking the taxi/cab starts from 35 baht. 1 stop is around 10 baht, 1 stops 15 baht, (for BTS) somewhere around that price. I can only remember that taking a cab from MBK to Chinatown (including some jam) cost us about 70 baht. From CCK to Eastin (including jam) cost us abt 90 baht. So actually if you got 4 person..taking cab is cheaper.
happy.gif

sea_snail

HI, i did post this in another thread. I am not sure if you all following the hotels arranged by travel agents, but i found the The Twin Towers hotel is great and very affordable, within walking distance ( 10 minutes walk) to MBK, and 5 minutes walk to Tesco. The hotel rooms are spacious and clean, and they have cable TV as well. The lobby is clean and staffs are friendly. It's only SGD50-58 per nite(inc tax), buffet b'fast not bad.I was with my Australians and Taiwanese friends there last year, good comments from them.
you all might want to try this hotel , can book online thru www.precisionreservations.com

jasangcy

HI All I am choosing between D'ma and Baiyoke Sky which one will you all choose?

I saw some review Baiyoke sky got centipedes in room... OMG

Its true??//

fretzie

I had stayed three nights in Eastin. The time I arrived was almost 3pm afternoon, the receptionist is well-prepared to serve me and my family.This was impressed me of this service, as seems like the Hotel has do their pre-work very well before the guest come. Room make up was good and done without disturbing us, ie they waited until after we were out.I like the security system, especially the lift and the main door of the room. The hotel is clean and the room is also very clean. few restaurants inside the hotel, so foods is not a problem. However, there is no shopping center or convenience shop surrouding the hotel, i can only see all the office block, so, i think it is not suitable for family trip but it is good for business traveller. I sure if I come to Subang next time, Eastin will be my one of my choice of hotel to stay.