Bangkok - Mani / Pedi

cottoncandy

Hi Clare

do update me on Novotel Siam Square after you come back from your trip! as i m staying there also for my Mar trip there
happy.gif

hi Zenn

my package works out to be about $294/pax for 4D 3N..flying by tiger airways and staying at Novotel Siam Square...

jojok

Hi Sweet,

Novotel Siam Square is a very nice & clean hotel. Stayed there last year when i went over. This Mar, will try out Baiyoke Sky which my friend just came back & say its also good, much bigger, spacious & better views though location is not as convenient as Novotel Siam Square.

chamonique

Does anyone know what time does Pratunam Market open? The last time when I was there, most of the shops were closed and I cant find any trendy clothing shops that people has been talking about. Wonder if I had gone to the right place....is it opposite Pratunam Plaza?

zenn

Hi Serene & Sweet,
Looks like you two got v gd deal!

Hi chamonique,
What time you were there. Pratunam opens from morning till evening oni.

sereneli

Hi Sweet, you got a very good deal cos Novotel Siam Square is one of the better hotels in Bangkok. May I know where you book the rooms from?

Jojok,
There's 2 Baiyoke there right? I heard good reviews about one of them too but I can't remember which one.

Chamonique,
Pratunam open from 7/8am to 5/6pm, quite near to Pratunam Complex.

Hi Zenn,
Yeap yeap
happy.gif

cottoncandy

hi jojok

but i understand that Novotel is undergoing reno now, dunno whether will be affected by the noises anot.. but anyhow, we have got the honeymoon bonus, so hopefully they will give us the newly renovated rooms
happy.gif
.. intially wanted baiyoke sky, but my thai fren advised me against it, so end up, we took Novotel loh.. but baiyoke sky sure is cheap, even offers 4th nite free if u stay 3 nites..

hi serene

we booked via jetabout
happy.gif
.. wat date u going and for how many days?

clayre

Hi Sweet,
Wow your package is great! I'm paying about $370/pax flying Cathy Pacific. = ( Is Novotel having reno??? This is my first time in BKK & staying in Novotel too. Will definitely update u when i'm back. = )

Can anyone advise me:
1) Heard there's a Pratunam Night Mkt. What time does it close? Is this the same as Pratunam Wholesale (clothes) mkt??

2) I read someone's itenary includes taking the boat along Chao Phraya River to the Grand Palace. Anyone done that?? I'm thinking of taking the boat up the river to the Grand Palace stop & then take cab to Chinatown. Basically just to experience the boat ride but is there anything to see along the river??

I'm all excited to leave on Fri! = )

chamonique

Hi Zenn,

I went there around 10+ in the morning leh but most of the shops were closed and I could only find a few shops selling T-shirts. According to some people who have been there b4, they said there are a lot of trendy clothing shops which are cheaper than Chatuchuk but you have to buy in bulks.

Hi Clare,
Not sure whether it is safe at night but I had a bad encounter with a Blue/red cab. 2 of my gfs and I hailed a cab to Chatuchuk and before we boarded the cab, we asked the driver to charge by meter and he agreed. Halfway during the journey, he suddenly complained that he won't be able to get any passenger from Chatuchuk and would have to drive an empty cab back to the city. He demanded that we paid him extra 300 baht. We pretended that we didnt understand as we did not want to argue with him incase he sent us to God knows where place. When we arrived at Chatuchuk, one of my friends immediately paid the exact amount based on the meter fare and the three of us hurried out of the cab. Now I know I can go to Chatuchuk by train and alight at Mo Chit Station, I won't take cab there again. Anyway most of the shopping areas in BKK are accessible by train except for Chinatown. Personally I think it is safer to take train if your travel companions are all ladies.

zenn

Hihi...

I ve nv come across Pratunam Night Mkt leh. The 2 popular night bazzar is Patong n Suan Lum. Yes Pratunam is wholesale n mainly clothings.

I took a boat ride in BKK b4 but not sure issit the same. Actually nothing much to see. Will advise you to do so if you ve extra timing.

You are going wif your hubby rite? If so not tat bad. During my last trip, the taxi driver suddenly 'beat' my male col who was sitting at the front seat. We all got a shocked! Oh, its best you bring along the namecard of the hotel you are staying when you are out of the hotel.

sereneli

<font color="0000ff">Hi Sweet,</font>
Is Jetabout a travel agency? I am leaving on the 18th March, be there for 4D3N.
happy.gif

<font color="aa00aa">Hi Clare,</font>
Have not heard of the night market in Pratunam. Only know of Patpong and Suan Lom for the night market. For the river trip, it's usually just to see the temples along the trip, if you are interested, you may want to go, but it will be a waste of time if your intention is just shopping ;)

<font color="ff0000">Gals</font>
I think this taxi thing is really "heng, sway". During my Jan 2005 trip, I was there in a group of 4 gals. Basically, we just took cab everywhere we go. But of course, we made sure it goes by metre. I think the local government has imposed a fine on those cabbies who do not switch on their metre, when the customers complained. So far, all the cabbies I met were quite friendly and nothing much to worry. But do bear in mind, try to round up the fair, for example, 55 baht, you may want to give 60 baht etc.....I mean it doesn't really means much to us (about SGD 0.20) but they will be very happy if you do so.

clayre

Oh so there's no Pratunam Night mkt oh?? Thank goodness i checked with all of u... coz i planned to go Pratunam only on Sunday evening and I would have missed the mkt as I'm flying back the next day!! Now i'll re-plan my itenary. Maybe forgo the Boat Trip. = ?

Actually Hubby wants to do SOME sight seeing, think he meant the Floating Mkt. But i read from the website have to take coach cos it's quite far away from BKK and I dun wan to waste too much time travelling to &amp; fro... anyone has any good SIGHT SEE places that is not too far from city so i wun have to compromise my shopping?? Hee Hee... =P

Hi Chamonique, that's very clever of you girls not to argue with the Taxi Driver. Will definitely keep this mind... = )

Hi Zenn, u mean the TAXI driver suddenly beat up your friend?? Did u guys do /say something or TAXI driver koo koo ?? So scary oh...

cottoncandy

hi clare

yup, Novotel now under reno, onli finishing in Jul this yr.. but some of the rooms are already renovated.. so if "heng heng" will be able to get those newly furnished rooms
happy.gif
ur package more ex coz u r flying by cathay..mine is budget airline.. hehehe .. me also so excited for u! must remember to share share your experience with us when u r back
happy.gif
.. as for cab, i heard that it is better that u let the guys enter the cab first.. and that yellow/green taxi offered better services...

hi serene

think should be bah..not too sure as it was hubby who booked the hotel room
happy.gif

clayre

Hi Hi!! Sawadee Kaa!
Me will be leaving for Changi Airport in less than 2 hours so excited oh!! Thank you all for the valuable feedbacks &amp; advices which i have all neatly compiled into my "First Time BK Survival Guide". Hahaha.... Will be my turn to share when i'm back on Mon. See Ya!!! + )

clayre

THANKS all!
Me at Changi Terminal 1... Cathy flight delayed for about 40mins.. = ( And they are now annoucing immediate boarding for Tiger Airways to BKK... Was just telling hubby that I felt as if we were in Amazing Race they would have almost 2 hrs lead time ahead of us... hahaha....
Ok... nothing gonna stop me from having a great trip... See Ya all!! = )

jojok

Hi Serene,
Baiyoke Sky is the good one. Dun try Baiyoke Suite, can't make it &amp; very old as i understand fm my friends.

My parents &amp; friends recently came back staying at Baiyoke Sky, good review except same breakfast (though good) thru'out if u stay for several days.

sakurasan

Hi ladies

Eeks!! I didn't know Novotel is undergoing renovations. I'm gng to BKK this Friday. *sigh* I hope it's not gng to be noisy or dusty...what bad timing.

skywolf

Hi ladies,

I'm intending to head to BKK's chatuchak mkt... but as this is the 1st time i'm gg into thailand, i need advice on where to stay and how to navigate ard... help! Are there any decent hotels ard the chatuchak mkt? What are their operating hrs also?

Thanks...
happy.gif

cottoncandy

hi sakurasan

u mean the agency that u booked with didnt inform you about the renos? but some online websites already posted the notice up, probably u miss it bah
happy.gif
hopefully it wouldnt turn out too bad! do update us after your BKK trip.. hehe

Hi skywolf

dun think there are any nice hotels near chatuchak market.. probably u would like to stay in the downtown area and take the BTS to the mkt? it is very accessible via the BTS train service
happy.gif

they start from 8am.. think end by 6pm bah.. not too sure about the closing time, as i planned to leave the market by 12 noon before it gets too hot!

sakurasan

Hi Sweet

Nope, this agency is not good lah. Went to collect my tickets today and casually mentioned that Novotel is under renovations. The woman looked at me in surprise and said she didn't know abt it. Big mistake. I shld hv just booked everything myself instead of going thru agents. Originally I wanted Pathumwan. They told me fully booked but when I went to the search engines like www.asiarooms.com, rooms were still available at PP. But by then they tell me they've booked my second choice which is Novotel and cannot change.
sad.gif

cottoncandy

hi sakurasan

icic.. i also just receive my hotel's vouchers today, but it is by mail.. coz we no time to go down to collect...

yup, Pathumwan Princess is a nicer hotel, but no choice for me coz the main aim of this trip is to make suit for hubby for AD.. and the tailor we planning to go is just next to Novotel.. so probably will try PP the next time
happy.gif

clayre

Hi ALL, I"M BACK!!! Can't wait to share with all of u but cannot seem to access the website past 2 days??? Anyway it was my first time in Bangkok &amp; must say we had a really good trip despite my flight delay for more than an hour on Fri!! Was telling Hubby we should make this an annual trip (or even semi-annual!). + )

Hi Sakurasan, i stayed at NOVOTEL too. Dun worry about the reno coz u won't even realise there's reno going as there's absolutely no signs of it throughout my stay last Fri till Mon! Maybe its all neatly done on certain floors only but u certainly won't feel/hear anything at all.

I'm glad i stayed at Novotel coz its really so accessible to the BTS &amp; SIAM area. Oh by the way, MBK is only 1 straight road down from Novotel, VERY NEAR but it'll take more than half an hour or longer to get there coz along the way you'll pass lots of smaller shopping lanes which will distract u &amp; take up alot of your shopping time too hee hee.... = P

Shops in general close pretty early around 9pm except for the night mkts which close around 12pm. Just to take note, I think money changers in the shopping centers close even earlier around 7pm so u might want to ensure sufficient currency. Luckily we brought our ATM cards n was able to withdraw money at the ATM which accept CIRRUS.

Chatuchak was not as hot as i imagined to be but i do suggest wearing exercise/sweat absorbent top with shorts/light bermudas. For those going over the weekend, I would recommend going to Chatuchak first thing on Sat morning before you do your main shopping elsewhere coz from my experience, some of same clothes which i bought from Chatuchak are selling at higher mark up at most other places eg Suan Lom mkt / MBK / etc.

Pratunam wholesale clothes mkt was not as interesting as i thought it would be as the clothes are not really very nice in the first place. We only spent around 1 hr there and left for Chinatown instead. Ah... Chinatown is definitely worth going as there are lots of wholesale shops there selling hair accessories, cartoon/disney staff at really cheap prices.

Hmm... did i leave out anything??

cottoncandy

Hi Clare

glad that u had so much fun in BKK! u make me even more excited to go next week! hehe..
happy.gif
did u stay in the newly renovated room in Novotel?

and is siam centre/siam discovery centre and siam square good for shopping? coz wondering if i have ample time to comb all the shopping centres ard that area anot.. hahaha

can share share how much u spent there on shopping and eating? coz still unsure how much $$ to change... hehehe

sakurasan

Clare Great! Good to know that Novotel's renovation is not obvious and we won't be disturbed during our stay there. How to get to the BTS from Novotel? The last time that I stayed at Novotel, we took cab everywhere...so this time really want to try the BTS (save money also lah!!)

carrie There is a tailor in Novotel - hubby made his wedding suit and a couple of pants there during our last visit (that was in Dec 2001 - a really loooong time ago). Hope that the tailor is still around during our stay this time...can tailor more clothes!
happy.gif

Sweet Hey, can you tell me where this tailor of yours is - you mentioned that it's next to Novotel.
happy.gif
I wish I could stay in Pathumwan Princess this time..must try different hotel during each vist...*sigh*

clayre

Hi Obaesom, no we didn't try the disco there. We spent most of our nights after shopping going for foot massage instead as they close pretty late around 12 - 2am. = P

Oh talk about massage, we tried 3; 2 next to Novotel - MARBLE HOUSE &amp; CHANG FOOT MASSSAGE, &amp; KING &amp; I @ at Sukumvit (ASOK BTS station). KING &amp; I is definitly worth going!! Had FOOT MSG at Marble House on 1st night &amp; at KING &amp; I 2nd night n both hubby &amp; i feel KING &amp; I is much better. Cost of both Foot msgs is the same @ Bht$300/hr. On the last night we wanted to pamper ourselves more so had Aroma Therapy full body msg. Wanted to go back KING &amp; I but we were too lazy to travel all the way &amp; did it at CHANG FOOT MASSAGE instead. The ambience looks slightly better than Marble House and i dun know about their Foot Msg but NEVER NEVER TRY their Aroma Therapy. It cost Bht700 each for an hr but if u had tried Balinese Aroma msg elsewhere in Bintan/S'pore before you will DEFINITELY find CHANG's Aroma Theraphy VERY LOUSY. All they do is keep rubbing aroma oil onto your back in cirular movement, which i feel i also can do. KING &amp; I may cost more at Bht1,100 each for Aroma Theraphy but somehow i feel they would have done a better job even though we have not tried.

meijia

Hi Clare,

I will be going to Bangkok on April 14. This will be our anniversary trip.

We are going 5D4N travel by tigerair and stay at Asia.

This is the 3rd time i will be going and hubby first time.

So we plan to go sightseeing and shopping and massage for this time round.

May I know how to get to King &amp; I spa. Is it within walking distance from the BTS station?? If I show the taxi driver the address, will he know how to go??

Sorry for so many question.

Hi sakurasan,

Thanks for the information

May I know roughly how much you paid for the suit. I am intending to tailor shirt for hubby cos my cousin told me tailoring in BKK is very cheap. So can tailor more for hubby everyday office wear. I was thinking if there were any shop rather than hotel that will be cheaper.

Btw the to get to the BTS from novotel. You need to turn left from the lobby main entrance and walk straight. You will see something like a overhead bridge and a station. That is the SIAM station.

racherlle

hi carrie!!

i've juz booked my airtix from jetstarasia!!
happy.gif

i will b going in May... for 5D4N..
have not booked my hotel yet.. plannin to stay in Baiyoke Sky.. hehe..

hi clare!
glad that u enjoyed urself a lot there!
as this is also my first trip there.. i'm planning to go there and get my household stuff..
any place to recommend????

meijia

Hi racherlle,

Is the fare cheap??? I think Baiyoke sky should be not bad from the above review.

I have only stayed at Novotel and Asia before. Both I like also. But personally will prefer Novotel because of its location.

You can get household stuffy from ChatukChat, their weekend market. There is a household section.

Hope you enjoy urself!!!

clayre

Hi Sakurasan, yes I remember seeing a tailor at the hotel lobby. I believe Carrie is refering to Novotel's SIDE entrance (left of hotel lifts) instead of Main. Turn LEFT walk straight to main road &amp; LEFT again. Won't missed it dun worry. To get to MBK turn RIGHT from hotel MAIN entrance &amp; walk straight. = )

We were stuck in the Taxi for more than an hr on our way to the Hotel. In the end the Taxi driver suggest that we alight &amp; walk to the nearby NANA BTS train station &amp; take down to SIAM BTS station instead. True enough very much faster &amp; not difficult to find our way.

Hi Carrie,
KING &amp; I SPA (Asok E4)
Sukhumvit Plaza, 212/8 Soi 12 Sukhumvit Road Tel : 662-2525248
--> Get out from Times Square exit, continue walking till see an overhead bridge, u will see a big sign that says MASSAGE &amp; SPA, turn left at the next small lane) http://www.thailandfans.com/relax20030609.html§

Hi Racherlle, yeah if your house concept is something balinese/ resort style, u can probably find lots of things at Chatuchak. VERY accessible by BTS so dun really need to take Taxi.

We tried to go everywhere by BTS instead of Taxi if possible coz I feel its faster &amp; no possibility of getting stuck in a traffic jam.

clayre

Carrie, CONGRATS! I suppose its your wedding anniversary? =) Our trip was meant to celebrate my Birthday cum 1st yr Wedding Anniversary too on 26th Feb. Was pleasantly surprised to find a birthday cake in our room when we went back late at night from Novotel. That really made our day! =)

meijia

Hi Clare,

Thanks. It is also our first yr anniversary although a few days earlier.

Oh, the hotel service is really good!!! And you must be very happy.

Thanks for helping to clarify the BTS direction. Cause it was 2001 that I stay there and I can't remember very clearly.

racherlle

hi clare!

yup i managed to get the cheap airfare from jetstarasia today1!
happy.gif
so happy!

i paid SGD154 for 2 return airtix to BKK.. (including taxes)
hehehe..

nw plannign to book my hotel...

yup my house is gonna b resort style kind..
so will b getting quite a lot of tings from there :p

meijia

Hi racherlle,

The airfare is indeed cheap. My tigerair fare cost $250 for 2 return.

So I went to Jet star asia to check also. The rate will be $210 for my dates. so never mind, $40 difference but still a bit heart pain.

racherlle

hi carrie!

jetstarasia is having a promo.. so they are giving away 1000 tix at $0.. but u have to pay for the taxes though.. i managed to get the return tix at $0.. but for the SIN-BKK, i paid the $28 bucks for the tix.. tat explains the low cost hehe
happy.gif

celtricia

Hey carrie!

Baiyoke sky is extremely gd as i've stayed there in jan tis yr.. svc gd, view also gd.. heh.. best if u could get the skyview one.. heh..

cottoncandy

hi sakarusan

the tailor i m planning to go is Macways, think at Soi 5.. have read about some good reviews about them from this forum
happy.gif

u gals know if we need to book prior appts for the massages or can just walk in?

sakurasan

carrie, I can't remember exactly how much husband paid for his suit (as it was quite a long time ago)..but I think it's around $200++ for a jacket and 2 pants. His is more pricey becoz he chose a more expensive material. I intend to go to BKK this time to also tailor working shirts and suits for myself
happy.gif

racherlle, carrie, I heard that SQ is also having a promotion now...something like $128 per pax (excluding taxes) for return *sulks* I really missed all these promotions..booked too early and paid a bomb for Thai Airways. Darn.
sad.gif

sweet, Thanks. I'll check out this shop if possible.

clayre

Hi Sweet, If you intend to only have a foot massage prior booking is not required at most places. However i was told from KING &amp; I coz they only 2 Couple Room for all other massages (eg. aroma, oil, msgs), prior booking is preferred.

Sigh... all your cheap tickets are making me drool &amp; itch to go back again... though i've just came back on Mon... = P

Oh... If any of u intend to go to Cabbages &amp; Condoms, its really near KING &amp; I so u can go after your massage. However, both hubby &amp; i personally feel there's nothing fantastic about the place. Yes the ambience is pretty good but the food is the same as what u can find in Singaproe's Thai's restaurants. We find it rather expensive also with each dish avg MIN about Bht $7+. And after the meal u get 3 DUREX condoms, nothing special. So in my opinion, u can probably spent the money on better tasting &amp; much cheaper Thai food elsewhere.