Bangkok Accomodation - Advice

crankset

Just a couple of random thoughts,

Novotel Siam Square rocks, no doubt about it, the proximity to Siam Central BTS makes ita a winner.

Tourists can purchase a 4D3N ticket for unlimited travel on the BTS at any BTS station for a miserly 280BHT. Considering that you can take the BTS to Chautuchak (Mo Chit), Patpong (Sala Daeng), Central Shopping Centres, there are a few at several stations along the lines, one of which is at Chitlom, Robinsons at Saphan Thaksin and the proximity to MBK as well as the many shops located in Siam Square itself and you got yourself a winner. Sure, you have to pay a bit more but I reckon it's worth it.

While you're there you might also want to try the river taxi that plys up and down the Chao Phraya, fares are ridicuously cheap, ranging from 5 to 30BHT, an experience much more authentic than any tourist boat could give you. Just take the BTS to Saphan Thaksin and walk a bit to the river taxi platform, ask for directions if you're not too sure, there's a tourist info centre located in the station itself. If memory serves, one of the stations the river taxi stops at is the City Mortuary, there you can find an FOC exhibition of real life corpses on display, some of them hardened criminials that met the law the hard way.

Patpong is too touristy to even consider buying from the roadside stalls, so avoid buying anything from there, trust me when I say that anything you find there can be found somewhere else in BKK and at a much more decent price. I personally like Chautuchak because of the edginess of the place and because the locals swarm it, Suan Lum is a little too touristy for my liking.

So much to say about BKK, so little time, dang, I want to go up again...

crankset

Hi postpet,

Yep, just go straight out to the road after you leave the arrival hall, you should see a booth with a row of cabs just outside. Perhaps the following link might help you more.

http://www.bangkok-bkk.com/transportation.html

I stay at the Novotel Siam Square when me and the mrs. go up, we usually pay slightly under 300BHT for the trip into town so you can use that as a guide to how much you need to fork out.

erowen

hi drive train
thanks. ya, gotto be careful at bangkok.i really wish no one will fall into the gem scam.

me stayed at novotel and yup, it's very convenient. within walking distance to world trade and MBK and siam BTS is right in front and hard rock is right behind. what more can ask for?

and i forgot who mention abt the breakfast there was good? Yes! it was good. but just that the Q was long, so we took our breakfast at abt 8 plus or 9pm, once you come later than 9pm, there would be like 10 to 15 ppl in the q waiting to go in.

postpet2

thank drivetrain,

yup agree that novotel's location is fantastic...stayed there a couple of times in the past...but its more costly than asia hotel which i've not tried before...
since not staying in hotel most of hte time, was thinking of trying out asia hotel the next time i go.

have not gone to suan lum yet. love chatuchat absolutely...but i heard the prices has gone up and not much bargaining.

heard that BKK can get quite a lot of stuff for wedding...like favours and printing of invites...so may go take a look. of cos, to eat and shop....

crankset

erowen,

haha, i bet you won't say that about the breakfast after you gone up another 3 or 4 more times, eat until scared already. Always the same everytime we go up...

erowen

hi drivetrain
ya, kekeke, but still i have eaten worse. =)
so it's ok to me though i find it too crowded.

it seems with the current airfares fight, more and more singaporeans will be going to bangkok in may and june!
I bumped into a lot of singaporeans over the labour day weekend. can't imagine may and june.

el2004

hi, for those of u who have stayed at novotel siam, can advise whether their twin room can fit 4 people?or is it the standard hotel room? Trying to save $$ by squeezing into 1 room! :p Just FYI -the Holiday Inn(Crowne Plaza) hotel in BKK can take 4, as they have 2 super single beds in each room.but not as convenient for shopping as it is located in Silom

erowen

hi el2004
er i think if you pple are not very big size i think can sq lor. cos the twin bed are super single bed size too.
but if you are thinking of having 2 extra beds, i think cannot fit in. it's a normal hotel room size. i'm talking abt standard room, which i stayed.
but i think still depends on whether the hotel is ok with 4 pax. check with them or your agency

nivedita

if u buy tics and accomodation separately, then book jade pavillion on the net.
i stayed there b4
its overall gd and cheap
only 40++ sgd
value for money!
anyway u juz need to sleep and the accomodation is like 3 to 4 ***** hotel liao

cookies

hi,i've booked a 4D3N F&E to bangkok. can some1 advise e possible itnerary, focus on shopping and some interesting sightseeing, thanks.

88max

Hi Fiona ,

You can try Novotel Siam Square located at this Siam center.The tailor shop is on your left hand side near a small book stall inside the hotel.

crankset

Hey cookies,

First and foremost, get your hands on the map of BKK found at the airport arrival lounge, very useful, other maps worth collecting are the BTS map and the river map that can be got from the tourist info burean at Saphan Taksin BTS station.

The following locations are within easy walking distance of the BTS trains, the best mode of transport in BKK in terms of comfort and time taken. If you guys are staying in a hotel within easy reach of a BTS station, I'd strongly encourage the purchase of the 3 day pass at 280BHT, unlimited travel on BTS for the time period. We usually stay for 4D3N when we go up and travel almost exclusively on BTS.

However, a trip to BKK is not complete without a ride on a tuk tuk so try it if you're up for it! Do take note of erowen's experience though, best is if you flag a tuk tuk down on the roads, don't take those that offer their servies to you, even if the price is too good to be true, cos that what it usually is. Taxis are usually metered and start at 37BHT but check before you get in anyways.

Shopping (Nearest BTS in brackets)
Mah Boon Krong (National Stadium) - the granddaddy of them all, uber sized shopping mall, a lot of small cubicle shops with some eclectic stuff for sale, heeren and far east plaza basement are wannabes compared to this one.

Central Dept Store (Chit Lom), Robinson's Silom (Sala Daeng), Robinson's Bangrak (Saphan Taksin) - your usual shopping centres, not much different from what you find back home but worth a visit if you've haven't.

Siam Discovery/Siam Center/Siam Square (Siam Central) - a cluster of shopping malls that's worth a visit, do take the time to explore the place.

WTC (Siam Central or Chit Lom) - lots of shops to choose from, check out the sports shops, I usually load up on Adiddas stuff when i'm there, definitely cheaper than what you can get here. There's an Isetan and a Zen deparmental store that's worth a visit. Zen has this tourist discount card you can ask for that will give you 5% off, they issue it at one of the entrances to the store.

Pratunam area market - this market is slightly past WTC, lots of knockoffs of branded cloethes to buy.

Patpong (Sala Daeng) - only comes alive after 10pm, very touristy area, try not buy anything from the stalls here unless you're very sure you can't get it anywhere else. Plenty of pubs and bars around, tiger shows, strip clubs galore, a definite must see if you haven't seen this side of Thailand before, 2 sports shops near the BTS station itself, fairly large and wide array of items.

Chautuchak market (Mo Chit) - try to reserve a whole day for this if you can, the place only really comes alive on weekends so this would be the place to burn your Saturday or Sunday, it's huge and stuffy but totally worthwhile if you're into trinkets, home deco accessories, potted plants, furniture, second hand clothes (I got a few cycling jerseys on the cheap there), bags of all kinds. One of the defining images of BKK.

Prantip Plaza (Rachathewi) - Sim Lim Square of BKK, enuf said.

Suam Lum Night Market - this place only really accessible by taxi or tuk tuk, nearest BTS station a bit too far. It was newly built when we first discovered it so it was fairly empty of tenants, things should have changed by now judging from the feedback in this thread. While it's well built and relatively cleaner than most night markets, I personally feel it somehow lacks the charm of the other night markets in BKK precisely because it is too antiseptic by loca standards,

Things to do
Black Canyon Coffee - Try the iced tea and signature black canyon coffee, the food's fairly good too, prices are reasonable to the point of cheap, branches all over the city, WTC branch has a good window view. The local branch here in Serene Centre does a severe injustice to the brand name. If you've tried the makan here, try it in BKK and you'll know what I mean.

River taxi ride (Saphan Taksin) - Take the river taxi ride on the Chao Praya river from Central (Sathorn) pier, for a miserable 6-10BHT each you can take it upriver to places like Wat Arun, Wat Prakheow and Wat Po, be wary of the 'English language teachers' who approach you if you're in the vicinity of Wat Pra Kheow, they first chat you up and then want you to follow them or something, just smile a lot and pretend you're Jap or something. I never really found out what they wanted cos I usually say hi followed by a firm thanks, but no thanks. Banglumpoo pier is the place to stop if you want to visit the Kao San area via river taxi.

Not much places of interest I can recommend to visit cos we go up to BKK for the food and shopping! Have a good trip to Krung Thep, try to pick up and use a few common phrases of Thai, remember to shop till you drop, take a 5 min break and then shop till you drop again!

exbride

Thanks Drivetrain ... tat's a very detailed info you have provided. It definitely help me a lot.

Btw, I just wonder have you been to the Chinatown? How can i get there and what is the best time to go?

I'll be keaving for BKK this Friday !!! Getting so excited about teh whole trip.

crankset

Hey CT,

No worries, glad to share, BKK rocks!
happy.gif

Chinatown accessible via either taxi or tuk tuk, just tell the taxi drivers Chinatown if you're hailing from the roadside, alternatively you can get your hotel doorman to hail a cab for you and get the doorman to tell the taxi driver, either way's fine.

Only dropped by Chinatown on two separate occasions, both times didn't really seem very alive, maybe it was cos we didn't manage to find the more lively portion of the place or it was the wrong timing, I think the best time to go should be on a weekend. Sorry can't help much here. Have a good trip!

leafy

Hi CT,
I'll be at BKK this weekend too!! :)
Leaving tmr.

For chinatown, taxi preferred (rather than tuk tuk) because it is not very near from "central" area where most singaporean's choiced hotel are located. TukTuk is good for shorter distance ride, in my opinion.

princessjen

hi,

i hv got a spreadsheet done up for my fren when she goes there on a first trip to bkk last yr..
i can fwd to u all if u wan..

not beri updated..cos nvr been there for a yr liao..pardon me for any info not updated..

sherine

Hi CT & Leafy,

I'll be in BKK too this weekend...leaving on fri and returning on sun night...i'll be staying at novotel siam sq...anyone staying there???

girlfriend

hi gals/guys

Hw much did you pay for your trip?

We booked a BKK trip too in June. We are paying $329 for 4D3N with FOC day tour. Flying with Thai Airways & staying @ Asia hotel.

My friend who stayed at Asia Hotel during her last trip commented that it wasnt that bad except the hotel room doesnt have windows. Overall, she still enjoyed her stay. Since we are flying on Sunday aft, we planned the following:

Sunday- Chachutachak market
Monday- Half day city tour + MBK
Tuesday- WTC
Wednesday- Last minute shopping @ MBK & home sweet home!!!

cookies

hi drivetrain

thanks so much, its really very helpful, you r very detailed. will print it out n bring w me 2 bkk.

cookies

leafy

Hi princessjen,
would appreciate a copy too!
please send to [email protected]
thanks!!

hi grilfriend,...
my package price is for a thai new budget airline. $250+ , thur PM thru monday evening. (4D5N?) Asia hotel.

exbride

Hi Princessjen

Thank you very much for your email ... it's very detailed. Will definitely print it out and bring along with me tomorrow to BKK.

Thanks a lot!

princessjen

Hi CT,

U are welcome..have fun...update us if there is anything new...hmm envy envy
bounce.gif
..gota save $$ so going to genting instead of bkk for short trip..

Hi postpet2,

hv send u the attachment.

meijia

Hi PrincessJen,

Can send me a copy to my email??

[email protected]

My colleague is going to BK next week and she is hoping to discover some new places to go. Thanks.

Hi Sherine,

Novotel Siam Sq is good. I enjoyed the stay 2 yrs ago I visit BK. It is very near to their mrt and near to MBK and siam sq.

crankset

Hey ladies,

Yeah, like PrincessJen said, CT and cookies come back and share experiences there can liao, since most of us can't go you 2 will just have to make us drool haha. Safe journey and good trip!

Btw, PrincessJen, can copy and paste your list here since so many ppl asking for it? I'd like to compare notes if you don't mind?

princessjen

dear all,

hmmp just nw office server down only after i finish typing everything..sighzzz.
angry.gif

i took drivetrain suggestion attach the spreadsheet here...
lol.gif

hopefully the price war continues then i can try to go later part of the year..hehe..

<center><table border=1><tr><td>
attachment_icon.gif
Bangkok
Bangkok.xls (42.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>

princessjen

Hi forgetmenot,

I did send u the attachment liao..

Drivetrain,

Yr notes is definitely more comprehensive than me
lol.gif

Hmm u tried the black canyon coffee oso..beri nice hor..wow simply love their coffee..was soooo happy to c their outlet in hatyai when i was there last yr..really miss the shopping in BKK..
rofl.gif

Hey u know there is a black canyon in sg?one n only store at SERENE CENTER near adam rd.

cookies

hi, any1 try any spa or massage services there? where is more recommended n price is reasonable? i'll be staying in asia hotel.
thanks.

postpet2

hi princessjen,

thanks for the compliation...very nicely done up huh..with all your cute remarks on getting more bra...

yup, me like black canyon too...much cheaper than sin isn't it...i dun think the serene centre one is anywhere near it...

seems like air asia tix to BKK is rather hard to get in the june hols...second the wish that the price war continues till year end...hehehe

crankset

hey princessjen and postpet2,

The local BC was good when it first started but i'm terribly annoyed at the inconsistent quality of the food and drinks, rather abstain here so I'll look forward to visiting a BKK BC all the more. :p

princess_lee

Been to Bangkok twice. Both very short trip just 1-2 nites stay cos business trip. Tried Pathumwan Princess &amp; novotel @ siam sq. Would recommand latter lor cos their breakfast location is better than PP, so is their pool..haha..I'm a bit particular about this :p service wise both hotels about the same, plus pt. for PP is that the hotel itself is in MBK, so very convienent, esp if you're buying bras, you get 10% discount if you're PP hotel's guest. =)

kidz

karen &amp; cookies,

the massage at Marble House (just behind Novetel Siam) is good , and cost onli 400 baht for 2 hours... plus u can request to be side by side with ur fren (place is separated by curtains).
no hankie pankie ...
happy.gif
oh yah, i saw from another travel website that says it's common to give 100 baht as tips for the massage. So total onli abt sing 20 bucks...for 2 hours of sheer bliss....

a guy fren had a unplesant experience of visiting a 'dirty' massage palour and that young gal kept trying to 'seduce' him...kept askin whether he wants special services...keke... so dun anyhow happy happy walk into massage palour...even if it seems ok from the outside. the one my fren mentioned was in MBK. (tat's y he tot shld be those clean kind...)

cookies

hi kidz,
thanks 4 e info. i suppose e service at marble hs is both both gender rite?? isit whole body massage?? how bout spa, any ideas??

kidz

service for marble house is for both gender - i had my massage side by side with my bf .
happy.gif

it's whole body thai traditional body massage.

spa i recomend this place 'the king &amp; I", address i cant remember got to find...will post it here if i can find it

kidz

found it.... i posted in anoither tread b4:

"The King &amp; I' -- Located near this theme restaurant "Cabbage &amp; Condoms" (which is also recommended) 10 Sukhumvit Soi 12 Bangkok.

I tried traditional thai msaage there too but they oso offer spa. not sure how much already but cheaper compared to spore and that place is quite classy... a bit of jap style..

leafy

Hi All,

Just to share a reminder here...

Before your trip to Chatuchak, try to visit Krung Thong Plaza &amp; City Plaza on ur first day (these 2 air-con shopping centers r just next to Amari Water Gate hotel. Things are much cheaper there!) Save you the time and effort to bargain. However, some shops might require you to buy min 3pcs (used to be 6pcs) to enjoy the cheaper price.

Generally, tops / mini tees @ 50B-100B (min 3pcs)... (please note tt mini tees are really small in size &amp; the materials does not stretch much, so dun buy too many at one go)

Some shops do not allow fitting, but u may try it at public toilet b4 buying more. (there's a fitting room @ toilets in Krung Thong Plaza, not sure abt city plaza thou)

As for ordinary jeans, can get @199B-299B. As most of the cuttings are rather small, try to buy 1 or 2 size bigger. (All the jeans are low waist, hence the size may not be the size u normally buy in sg)

Most shops allows exchange for sizes, colors &amp; even designs. :) So, dun feel shy to politely request for exchange if necessary.

leafy

...con't

Zen gives 5% discount for tourist. As there wasn't much lingerie sales during my stay there, we got ours from Zen. Plus the 7% VAT rebate, it's as good as ~12% discount.
A wacoal shop at City Plaza also allows VAT refund.

Note:
In case some of u need to know...

To qualify for VAT rebate,
1) Need to spend min 2000B per dept store per day.
2) Bring the receipts to their VAT refund counter to fill up your particulars n get a printed form.
3) Before check in @ airport, go to the VAT refund inspection office to get the form endorsed.
4) You can then claim the VAT refund from a counter after check in.
5) I think a combined amt of 5000B is required is required for this claim. (but need not be spent at same store, same day)

5000B is ard SGD217.00

sugarbabe

hi all,

juz to compare, is Baiyoke Sky hotel more convenient for a first-timer in Bangkok or Novotel Hotel? Or r they juz next to each other?? =)