Bangkok Accomodation - Advice

esp

Hi Smuffy,

Thanks for sharing.. BTW, $448 is pretty x actually. Which agent did you went to ??
I had enquired packages from newly tours and they have 5D4N for $299 F & E. Staying at narai or Twin towers but travelling by finnair, night flight. D'ma is new, but the location is quite out of the way.

Andreal,

No view room is room w/o windows. Heard quite ulu also. Heehehe. and it sounds to me quite uneasy.

Anyone heard of healthland spa? between S4 and S5 station ? my friend recommend that place. BTW, has anyone of you got the massages from the hotel itself ? how was it ? Did anyone also ask the massue to massage you at your own hotel room ? any comments ?

postpet2

hi erowen,

i last went to BKK 2 years ago. so can't remember exactly the price.
But seems to have paid about $100 for novotel if i'm not wrong. totally cannot remember for the tix.

erowen

hi postpet2
thanks!

ppl do u think that $450, including taxes is expensive for 4D3N at novotel siam sq, i am taking garuda

postpet2

you girls are getting me excited abt BKK now...

esp smuffy's recommendation to tailor skirts and shirts....

i din know abt the luggage restriction for air asia leh...lucky you gals say it...
aiyah, then no cheap tix there liao leh...

smurffy

Hi Dolphin,
Misa travel. I used to book all my tours thru SA (UIC). They r gd. 1st time using MISA, not recommended. Their tour in Bangkok is also lousy. Yup, safetravel gave me a gd package but fly by Finnair which is very restricted esp my hubby is there for a biz trip...

$299 is really cheap. But I found out...when I went to Bangkok last yr, I book thru SA (UIC) which costs me $538 for 4 days 3 nites. But standard is gd. Not only is the half day tour, Novotal is also gd. Within walking distance to a lot of places. Like my hubby said, well, now u paid lesser, so, end up disaster lor...
sad.gif

The agent was late on our 1st day, so, didn't manage to pick us. We have to pay our own cab fare. And on the day we are leaving for Bangkok airport, the driver was late and we ended in the last few back rows of the plane...No good!
nono.gif

The only consolidation was, I tailored made those suits/skirts/shirts...end least cheer me up a bit...

meow19

If you search the internet, you can get Pathumwan Princess at about S$120 per room a night. And if you manage to get a cheap ticket, about S$190 that would work out to about S$440 a person for 4 nights in Bangkok.

yapbp

I bought TG tickets during the promotion which ends on 31 April at $225 + $39 tax = $264. Not decided on the hotel.
I do know the prices for 3 nites accomodation :
1. Asia Hotel : $100 per person
2. Novotel Siam Square : $176 per person
3. Patumwan Princess : $200 per person

okeanosmao

andreal/ erowen,

smuffy is rite. suan lom is near to patpong. i oso went straight to patpong from there.dun tink there's any train stations.
i stayed in D'MA n i agreed, this hotel is nice n clean. its jus beside another hotel. forgot wat is the name liao.
D'MA is in pratunam or shld i say near to pratunam? hee, sorry not sure so. but i walked to pratunam market, its v near. ard 15mins walk.

any of u gals take different colours cabs? i realised blue/red cab drivers dun like to charge as per meter. n they are v rude n fierce. green/yellow cab drivers not so rude n they always agreed to charge by meter.
once i took a blue/red cab, the driver agreed to charge by meter but the driver purposely bring us 1 big round then to a small dark lane (its a dead end somemore) n stopped there. pretending to look at the hotel card which we passed to him. he kept looking at the card for 5 mins. my hb got fed up, n told him repeatly its D'MA hotel..showed him the map then slowly he reversed his car n went back the same route again back to the hotel.
he purposely wans to earn more $$.

if u gals gonna take taxis there, better be xtra careful. i oso heard of women tourists being killed by taxi drivers.

erowen

okeanosmao,

thanks for the info abt suan lom

yr taxi story brought back memories!

I was in a cab (but couldn't rem which colour) and the taxi driver insisted on running meter, we were at the grand palace and wanna go back siam sq.

in the end the fare was so X, he went round and round! When we took cab from siam sq to grand palace, it was very resonable, no meter, just a lump sum. in the end, the meter fare back was like triple time the original amt!!!

i was so piss! and to think we were so polite to this taxi driver. so in the end i forced him to drive back to our hotel (the old hotel intercon) and me and galfren chop chop get down without paying him first!!!

i immediately told the porter and security at the taxi lobby abt what happened and luckily ah, the porter was very angry and scolded the driver in thai, i dun understand, so in the end, we only pay half the amt.

anyway as a token of thanks, i tip the porter and the guard. think overall i still paid a lot!

but sometimes it's not abt the $$, but just dun understand why they have rip us or cheat us. the feeling of being cheated is not gd!

i think it's always better to ask the hotel staff roughly how much it cost from one place to another.

ms_vain

Hi all,

I just came back from Bangkok last week. Must say it is a shopping paradise for ladies. But if u r big sized like me, then u wont be able to buy clothings there coz the sizes there r very small as majority of the pple there are slim n petite.

talking abt taxi, i would advise to take the skytrain if possible becoz: (1) most of the time being caught in traffic jam, waste time n money (2) unless u know how to communicate n know the place, else u will definitely be 'conned' when they brought u go merry-go-round.

esp

Hi Erowen,

Yes. Sometimes i would rather pay a little more in shops than to pay less and feel so cheated in a bazaar. I hate this feeling. Yes. the taxi drivers will bring you go merry around esp if he had quoted a price which you did not accept and ask to run the meter. the Hotel staff is nice. May i know which hotel is that ?

erowen

hi dolphin
the hotel has been relocated. It's intercontinental.it used to be opposite the skytrain station.

anyway, just hope we will be careful there when dealing with thai taxi drivers.

smurffy

Hi all,

Only flag those taxi when u see "meter taxi" on top. Once hop in, tell them to go by meter. Most of them are fine. At the hotel, asked the reception to write u the name of hotel in thai. Once u realised that they are tuoring u guys around, tell them the name of the htl again. There, the driver may realised that u knw that he is playing tricks...

tomatoes

Hi All

I heard from my travel agent that Novotel Siam Sq is have renovation throughout this year, phase by phase.

But if you do not mind that, then you might want to know that I came across a package that is travel by Air Andaman, and 3 nites accom with 1 buffet dinner included--- all at $299!

princessjen

Hi pospet2/erowen,

so hv u confirm yr dept date to BKK?
me going there next mth,worried only 1 thing which is the weather gonna be beri hot..

me have not book any package,just wondering if any1 has cheap package to recommend..wana save cost to buy more things back.

erowen

hi princessjen
i am departing around early may.
ya, think will be super hot!

hi tomatoe, came across that advertisement in the paper,s but i find the timing is not very good. andaman only has one flight daily, and by the time i reach bangkok, one day has almost gone.

exbride

Hi princessjen

i book from Wingo travel for 4D3N by SQ, Asia Hotel for $318 (exclude $39 tax). Think it's a pretty good deal as I got a morning flight to bkk and evening flight back to Sin. TG is also having a promotion and price is the same as SQ.

The package come with 1/2 day city tour and a one way transfer to chatcuchak market and Suan Lum Night Market.

postpet2

Hi princessjen,

i wun be going bankok so fast. most likely in aug/sept.

princessjen/erowen: do keep me updated after your trip ok?

You girls going to tailor anything there?
i heard its quite worth it.

erowen

hi postpet

sure, will update you after my early may trip
i am not sure abt tailoring leh
you got any tailors around novotel siam sq to recommend?
usually do we need to put any deposit or pay in full first?

Thanks

princessjen

Hi postpet2,

hmm me not really interested in tailor made bt can get my bf to do it..cos he has difficulties getting pants cos his waist is too small..hiazzz sadness..

i wil sure update u on the trip.basically i wana go 4 shopping to c if i hv missed out anything for the past 1yr.

hi erowen,

u are rite..andaman flt time is 2040 n agency cant chk the availability for u until the airline goes back to them..marfan..n not cheap..
so u leaving on 1st may isit?me oso thinkg tat period nw since me n bf dun hv to work.save the annual leave by 1/2 day.keke ..wat package hv u got for yrself?

Hi CT,

yr package is for 4 pax travelling rite?me tempted to take the sq promo oso since bf say his buddy n gf wana join us..me chk slightly cheaper than yrs 349 aft tax stayg at asia hotel..

sancai_shi

Anybody tried own booking of htl & airfare?
How do you arrange the airport-hotel transfer?
If taking cab fr airport to htl(asia) how much will it costs? any other transportation other than cab?

qhl

I booked my tickets for coming National Day under Asia Air offer. Tickets + taxes come up to only S$80.

As for hotel, I stayed at First House. It's a pretty rundown hotel, but decent. Hotel is right next to Pratunam market. Near Prantip Plaza (ie where you get the dvds :D ). You can just search the web to find good rates.

www.asiatravel.com is a pretty good place to start.

As for trpt from airport, I ever tried to take the public train. Station is across the road from the airport. Train is rickety, but it costs only about 100Baht. Journey is about an hour, but train timing is not certain (I waited 1+ hours that time). If you got time to burn, that's cheap.

But then, if you have 4 pp, better to take cab - I think it costs about 500Baht.

sancai_shi

Hi QHL,

Actually I called up AsiaTravel ... they do provide trsf 600B for 2 ppl ... you juz need to put it under special request when doing online reservation but find it quite ex.

How long it takes from Airport to Htl by cab? 45 mins?? I afraid cab driver go by long way then ended up in long journey & ex amt!!!!

Anybody else got experience to share wiz me on own airport-hotel trsf??

skylar

hi Sancai,

Well, which hotel are u in? usually there will be trfs from htl one leh, & for the taxi stuff, dun hope on those that "ask for biz" outside airport one lor, go further down the road & see, & again, depends on wat time ur touch down TH lor, ur gg to Bangkok or where?

all their cabs got meter one, ask them to on it, dun bargain the price, no point risking

chris~m

hi skylar

even they hv meter, but they can still go into the small roads which u really duno izit the shortest way to ur destination or not, then u still pay more than wat it is, coz too many small "lanes" liao, n they all look like normal roads. unless u know the way there.... it will b better if ur package do include the <font color="ff0000">airport-htl-airport transfer</font>
happy.gif

sugarbabe

hi gals,

wanna go to bangkok this yr end, first-timer.. wow can c that bangkok is really a shopping paradise.. but really blurred by wat i see, erm like chatuchak, is it a pasar malam?? heehee... n which travel agency has got the best deal n where can i get more info. on bangkok?? me maybe going in October.. cheers

skylar

Well,
hhmmm like wat Chris said lor, but so far when i go over to BKK, no probs so far, but of coz it would be better if its in the daylight rather than nightime lor...

but Chris, there isn't many small lanes in BKK lah, i mean if ur hotel is not that super budget kind lor.... no point asking for htl trfs if its ex wat, waste money.

i have been there many times, ok lah, not to worry lor...

Hi sugarbabe, chatuchak is a weekend mkt thingy, like pasar malam lor, they sell almost the same thing lah, dirt cheap! but if ur looking for those aircon kinda shopping centre, then go to the chitlom or the silom area where the Mabonkong shopping centre is lor! MBK shopping centre is super big &amp; very cheap also!!!

chris~m

hi skylar

hee... not budget hotel and not really small lanes la.. it's something like "Soi xxx" or "Soi 1/2/3" etc... it can b even some others main roads...

i worked there once, staying at Ekamai, so when i take cab to airport, the driver tell me they take other route to "prevent" jam, but when i go bk again n my ex-collgs tell me "canot b" coz that is a way to run the meter only....
happy.gif

so ladies, if it is not too long distance, walk there better than taking a cab. coz if there's jam, it kills manz! their jam is ter-ri-gi-ble!

btw, i agree wif u dat MBK is better, chatuchak is nomore dat interesting liao.... i can only get a pair of sport shoes, the rest r not up to standard...

chris~m

hi sugarbabe

sunny holiday travel is more on thai side, mayb u can visit their website for more details
happy.gif

there's 1 thing u need to take note hor, dat is the flight schdule, some give u cheap package but give u late flight to BKK and then early flight bk to SIN, this type package quite lugi

ps: must check with the agent whether is there any airlines or hotel surchage if u depart during peak season. (not really SIN side, sometimes is Thai side peak
happy.gif
)

skylar

Well,
Chatuchak is still alrite lah, not as bad as wat u deem lor, perhaps ur expectations are higher so u cannot get more stuff but then again when u r at such places, cannot expect much though, but there are more up coming like chatuchak so gals u all can go there have a look.

so far there isn't any thai peak season charge lah, its just the taxes, thats about it but its only about 500 baht , have been fixed like dat for some time liao....

infact i just came back couple of weeks ago, gals, just relax &amp; enjoy ur trip there!

smurffy

Hi all,
Can check SA(UIC). Their offer is not bad too. I went in March.
(1) Taxi fm airport to Siam Sq - 30 min - go by meter, abt 250baht. Driver will tell u 300baht but just insist going by meter.
(2) Erm, asia hotel, not advisable. I happened to be there for lunch. Exterior, no gd. Met up a fren last week. He also stayed there in Jan. Travel agent told him that the htl has no view. Then he thot, ok lor, the most r all bldgs surrounded him...BUT, no view means NO WINDOW. He &amp; wife can't tell if it is day or nite...like a prison. So, check properly!

Honestly, went to Bangkok may times, Novetel &amp; pratuwan princess htl r d BEST!!!

Hope it helps a little...enjoy your trip!

chris~m

hi sugarbabe

yes yes, coz at least they r offering Thai Air, timing much much better as u can go there early n come bk late mah... which mean u can hv more time at BKK
happy.gif
if u compare with other agent TG flight, this shd b the best offer liao
happy.gif

hi smuffy
althght SA is cheap but they r offering Fin Air which depart very late at night from Sin - Bkk and then early come bk from BKK - Sin... then by the time u reach there, it's late ard 11+pm which u can do anything liao... juz sleep only, then on the day u come bk, u need to depart early to the airport, which mean after u wake up n hv ur breakfast, u need to go... very bor hua lor...

but i do agree with u dat Asia htl no dat gd... very old liao also
happy.gif

exbride

Huh??? Asia hotel no good ah??? Oh no I'm going there in 2 weeks time.

My travel agent said our room gaurantee got window .. he claim that some agent charge cheaper becos the room got no window (cabin room).

Other than no view ... is the hotel really very bad. But I heard it's very convenient as it's link to the MRT.

Anyone being there recently? Any feedback?

sancai_shi

Thanks for your advice.
Guess is really better to make arrangement on airport-hotel trsf rather than taking cab.

Thru agency of coz they do provide but if diy will arrange when booking htl online lor ...

btw, I'm staying in Asia ... noe is old but budget price mah however agency told me they are full liao on my dates so change to a NEW hotel call Pratunum??(something like that), price same as Asia and near to MTR just one stop away from Asia MTR station. So decide to give it a try.
Let you know how's the hotel when I'm back. ;)

icecherry

Hi CT,
i stayed at Asia when i went to bangkok last year. i find the hotel ok leh, very cosy and always very crowded. considered old but its not as bad as u think, still a standard hotel. its very convenient, linked to MRT and a lot of restaurants in the hotel. even the famous ah gua show is located there. i would still choose to stay there if i go the next time.

erowen

harlow ppl
back from bangkok.
phew, it was hot there!

anyway, just to share 2 experiences. hope ppl here will be more aware and be careful

yup, u guessed it. It's the stoopid jewellery scam thing. It was really an eye opener for my husband, this is his very first visit to bangkok and we ran into 2 jerks on our first day of arrival!!!

after i checked into hotel with my other half, i wanted to show him the temple that was opposite out hote. This is like my 4th trip to bangkok and i have visited that temple before. so just as we stepped in, this uncle approached us and spoke in thai, i ignored and dragged my hubby in. So he started to speak english and i knew he was going to tell me abt the lucky buddha thing, that this temple is closed, blah blah blah, it's buddha day and everyone is rushing to see the lucky buddha. My husband who has never been in bangkok before was kinda surprised and quite keen to go. so i just told him that this is a jewellery scam. Whoa, that uncle was pretty shocked to see me talk like this, so he walked away quickly. this is case one at around 2plus noon.

case two at abt 5pm plus. on the very same day. we were walking along world trade center and wanna go baiyoke sky hotel. we were rather tired then but it's not a very far walk, abt 15 mins. so we decided to take a cab. We have settled the fare at 50 baht, however after the cab took off, this driver, very young chap who speak not bad english said he has some gas voucher and he can only redeem at this time. Shit, i immediately know he's gonna drive us to somewhere that sells jewellery, i couldn't believe my 'luck'!!! bad luck. twice in a row. on the same day!

so i said no very firmly and insisted that he drive me to my destination. sigh...but my husband , being the kind soul, said i shouldn't be so horrible. I was like, ???????

okie, so i kept quiet and kept my eyes on the road closely. I realised he has passed baiyoke sky hotel and i asked him where is his gas station. Then he took a turn and stopped the car. Someone opened the door and we stepped out and for my husband's curiosity sake, we went into this jewllery building, anyway, it was like less than 10 seconds that he decided to walk out. the taxi driver has just parked his car and was very unhappy to see us out so fast! we got back into his cab and this jerk drove like less than 30 steps away from the jewellery building and said baiyoek sky is in front. bull shit! so i couldn't contain my temper anymore and scolded him! He refused to drive me to baiyoke sky and insisted that i pay him now and get off his cab. He wait long long ah! I refused to pay him and threaten to call 1155. At the same time, i quickly opened the taxi door and we kinda like scrambled out in case he drove off fast with us in his cab!

okie, these are my 2 experiences that i wanna share with pple here. Pls be careful and be fierce and forceful in stating your stand! I dun mind paying more as a tourist, but i do not like the idea of being cheated greatly and taking me to some unknown places. Can u imagine if it was my very first trip and i couldn't recognise the roads? And i thanked buddha that it was not late at night, i could have gotten lost myself too.

so we walked back on foot and abt 10 mins later, we reached baiyoke sky. what a first day for my husband! luckily the buffet spread was great!

mao

Have tried once, about 500 baht. Think can nego. Should be safer then taxi.

Pathumwan princess is another good hotel. Very convenient, can do last min shopping on last day. :>
An those who stay at Novotel Siam Sq, there's a steamboat rest. opp called Canton. Must try ok. Cheap and nice, personally I think it's better then Cocoa. (There are doing reno. now, but don't turn back coz ther are still open for biz)
Happy Shopping &amp; eating.

crankset

Sawadee krub cookies, Karen Lam

You might want to try the taxi service booth at just outside the arrival lounge, you tell the ppl in the booth where you want to go and they'll assign a cab to you.

I wouldn't advise taking the limo service, it's relatively expensive and not worth the extra premium, save the extra for the shopping.

Just remember to take the cabs that are waiting in line, dun take the offers of ppl who approach you and you'll be fine. BKK is a relatively safe city as long as you play it smart and listen to your instincts.

Erowen,

Am sorry to hear that you had to go through that crap, I guess it being your hubby's first time and his amiable nature you had to kena sooner or later. I'm sure it won't happen again the 2nd time round yah?
happy.gif

Anyways, me and the mrs. tried this the last time we went up, you might want to give it a go. We were walking past the shrine in front of the WTC walking in the direction of pratunam when the usual "I'm a teacher of English in a college and I want to practice my English" scammer comes up to us. We just smiled a lot and pretended we were Japanese and couldn't understand a word he said. haha, just thinking about it brings a stupid smile to my face when as I type this.

postpet2

Hi drivetrain,

i din know that there is such a service at the airport. so i presume that its much safer to take the cab from that booth?

BTW, i've got the same qn as Karen Lam, has anyone tried taking cab in BKK's airport past midnight?