Bangkok Accomodation - Advice

erowen

harlow chrysanne12
thanks for your info also. just saw yr posting. hmmm, i passed by pratunam princess hotel before, it really looked grand but i quite concern with location. ahhaha, me ya very fussy one. but pratunam is a 5 star hotel i think.

yes, totally agree with you that bangkok is a nice place. I am hoping to re-visit the place with my hubby too. He has yet to visit bangkok. But i am trying to avoid the Songkran Festival. so most probably will be going in end april.

chrysanne12

Hi erowen,

u welcome, yes it is a 5 star hotel.
well, while i was walking I came across a hotel called Arnoma (not sure of the spelling, it is a 4 star hotel), this hotel is near WTC and Isetan. U can check it out, i heard it is good from my friends

lkf

erowen

novotel siam sq is very convenient and the Siam (Central) BTS station is juz round its corner. It's within walking distance to MBK (abt 10 mins) and WTC (slightly further, not too sure abt the distance as i took a train to WTC area on my BTS daypass which allows me unlimited rides on the BTS).

It has a swimming pool n some other facilities on its 4th flr, but not too sure if there is sauna. It's a nice n clean 4-star hotel basically. if i'm not wrong, it belongs to the Accor Hotels Chain. agrees with postpet tat it's breakfast is sumptuous n nice
happy.gif

erowen

Ikf
thanks for the details.
happy.gif

hmm, sounds like Novotel Siam Sq is a good choice. And it's not very X.think i will most probably look for a free & easy package with this hotel then.

lkf

erowen

u r welcome. was there in early Feb this yr...
forgot to mention that novotel is in between MBK (National Stadium BTS) n WTC (Chitlom BTS), it's nearer to MBK and others like HRC, Siam centre n siam discovery centre are also within walking distance.

was actually thinking of staying in pathuwan princess too but in the end we chose novotel becos dun hv to change train if we travel to Chatuchak mkt.

if u really want to be near WTC, then u can consider chrysanne12's suggestion. can't comment on the hotel cos' I've nvr stay there before :p it's very centrally located, opp WTC n besides Gaysorn Plaza. Emporium n Central Dept Store is also nearby. Wat i like is tat the big c supermart is juz a stone throw away.

ordos

novetel siam eq is really convenient
the train station that stop in front of the hotel is the interchange.
hard rock cafe is within walking distance
got coca restaurant outside

i have previously booked the hotel via http://www.planetholiday.com/aboutus_main.asp
after converting to SGD, it was the cheapest rate that i can find after researching the various internet website.
maybe useful if u are planning free and easy yrself
nowadays air tickets also getting cheaper..
no longer need to go to tour agency

sakurasan

Hi gals

I stayed at novotel siam sq the last time i was in BKK...very convenient! Oni problem with our stay was the no. of singaporeans we met! The minute we entered the cafe for brekkie, you hear and see tonnes of singaporeans
sad.gif

Otherwise, very central and easy to walk to MBK, Siam Centre, World Trade and Hard Rock. Taking cab to Chatuchak wasn't terribly expensive either. Oh yes, there's a tailor in the hotel - my husband made his wedding suit there for less than $300. Good and cheap.
happy.gif

erowen

hi Ikf, ordos & sakurasan

thanks for all the info. very useful indeed!
I think more or less, my mind will be settled on Novotel then, it suits my budget and all. Although i would really wish to stay at InterContinental, it's way too much for me.

lotsa singaporeans huh, sigh, guess no choice lor. what to do.

hey i haven't been to bangkok HRC before, will definitely drop by to take a look.
happy.gif

now the rates for april are not out yet. will be keeping my fingers crossed and hope either SQ or Thai Airways will have good promos!

maya

Hey, me planning to go bangkok in end Apr too! will be my 1st time. Mission - SHOPPING! So Novotel is good, reasonable and most impt, near the main shppg hubs? Can I ask if you gals got your tix thru agencies, net, valueair etc? What's the most economical mtd to book plane and hotels?

chris~m

hi maya
happy.gif

normally the most economical method is to book from agencies, better, coz u dun need to pay hotel taxs n services charge etc. if u book online, these will include in ur bill upon check out. n normally online booking doesn't come with airport-hotel-airport transfer.

hotels in BKK r actually quite cheap thru agencies, the only thing diff is airlines. cheapest air tickets to bangkok shd b Finair but the flight schdule not gd, late depart from Sin n return early from BKK... so it will dpends on whether u want to get a gd flight schdule (early dpart from SIN n late return from BKK - can hv more time in BKK)

SQ n TG hv the best schdule, CX depart afternoon come bk also afternoon, while Finair depart late evening n return early morning
happy.gif

erowen

hi maya
me also planning to go end april.my 3rd trip.

so far ppl here has given me good feedback abt Novotel Siam Sq.I am almost 80% on for this hotel liao. But of course if my Ah Lao budget okie, we will opt for Intercontinental again. I stayed there during my first and second trip, before it moved to replace Meridien.

But my friends were telling me, "ai ya why dun u put the extra $$ into shopping!" so me tossing and turning now abt accomodation. anyway, called up a few agencies, some said april rates not out yet. so still got time to decide.

hi chris, agree with u on the schedules.

pooh~

Hi,

anyone have comments on Asia Hotel?

So far the cheapest i can find for 4days 3 nite stay with Asia Hotel and fly with Thai Airways cost me $318 after tax is $357. IS that ex?

Novotel with cost me $100 more for each pax.

chris~m

<font color="0000ff">hi erowen</font>

ya.. coz if u reach there late then cost u 1nite hotel rate n nothing much to do at night other than patpong mket... then morning wakeup after breakfast hv to go airport liao... waste...

<font color="0000ff">maya &amp; erowen</font>
hey i found this for u, u can check the prices here as a guidline,

Apr pricelist from SA - http://www.satours.com/
click "free&amp;easy" then select the destination n click on "Thailand Getaways". under "3 Days Bangkok Explorer", click "Full package" there's a list of hotels rate. <font color="ff0000">Note: travel by Finnair, departing schdule is 2150 depart from SIN</font>

here's another 1 from Sunny Holidays Apr Pricelist - http://www.sunnyholidays.com.sg/berlingo_tour.acv?dir=1&amp;cp=Free+and+Easy&amp;trk=Rohx1_A
<font color="ff0000">Note: travel by Thai Airways, earliest flight is 0750 or 0805 depart from SIN, dpends on airlines</font>

chris~m

hi pooh

Asia hotel quite old already leh, it's sort of budget hotel, if u're not very particular then shd b ok
happy.gif

$318 for TG consider cheap
happy.gif

pooh~

Hi Chris,

thanks for ur reply.I think i mostly settle with Asia Hotel cos dun wan to spend too much in hotel rather spend it on shopping.

May i know how long is the flight? If coming back at 6pm wat is the time will reach spore? Still havent decide on the 3+pm flight or 6pm cos next day working.

Thanks for ur info.
happy.gif

alhana

Hi pooh,

A flight to BKK is usually ard 2.5 hrs. Remember that BKK is one hr behind Singapore. So u'll save an hr going there, and u'll lose an hr coming back. So if u leave at 6pm bkk time, u'll probably reach singapore ard 9+pm local time.

Actually, I wldn't say booking thru agencies will be the cheapest. U can find great bargains on websites at times..and if airlines offer promo tix, u can actually save more than if you buy a package from the tour agencies. I usually do a comparison and sometimes, I find that booking air tix n accomodation myself gives me a better deal. Plus, hotel reservation websites usually offer up more options than agencies do, n these can suit those of all budgets. Of coz, its easier to get an agency to do everything for you. Last time I went to bkk w my family, we took advantage of SQ's 4 to go promo price and book accomodation at President Hotel on the web (hotel now closed for reno). It cost us at least $50 less per person when compared to a similar package (ie same hotel n airline) offered by most agencies.

mandysst

i think i am the cheapo freak here. i normally stay at one of the hotel in chinatown area since taxi to everywhere is so cheap. the hotels in chinatown area range from $30 sin per nite per room to $65 sin. since i stay out most of the time, i dun see the need to stay in such good hotels lah. plus, opp the hotel is a whole sale market and u can buy lots of stuff there, much cheaper than MBK.
happy.gif

pooh~

Hi alhana,
thanks for the info. I have check on the website liao. This agency give me the best package till now. It better then those i bk air tix and accom separately.

So i think i will just stick to this package.
Just wondering will Nasta Fair be cheaper?
Any idea?

Actually most places offer a better deal if u travel before Apr.

esp

Hi,

Has anyone been to stay at Narai or Twin Towers hotel at BKK? Maybe you guys can check our newly tours, they are currently having in house promotion. $299 for BKK 5D4N free and easy.
Tel: 65364711

icecherry

Hi Pooh, i stayed at Asia hotel when i went to BKK last year. I find it very cosy, cos a lot of pple in the lobby. The hotel is not very new but the standard quite ok. moreover, it is linked to the train station so its very convenient. there are also a lot of restaurants in the hotel and also theatre staging "a gua" shows. its one of the famous in BKK, attracts a lot of tourists... if i go to BKK again, i would choose to stay in Asia again...

hi all,
i stayed at Amari Watergate the last time. near to the 4 faced buddha. this time i will be staying at a newly open hotel. meritus state tower

westin

Can anyone pls advice which hotel is better Bangkok Palace or Baiyoke Suite? I am confuse to choose between this two hotels as bangkok palace have just renovated and Baiyoke suite although old but it has one bedroom and a living room and is near to pratunum. Both rates are the same.

Which hotel is nearer to BTS? How far is the walk?

Does anybody know how much it cost to take a taxis from airport to siam square?

makiyo

Hi dolpin,

I second your recommendation...price of Newly Tours is really reasonable...

Hi smuffy,

You've to make a choice here...my hubby stayed at Twin Tower &amp; Narai b4...he says Twin Tower is newer as compared to Narai...but location wise, Narai is just few minutes walk to Patpong nite market &amp; BTS Sky Train...

passby

Hi Makiyo

I really agree what you have written here.Newly Tours is really reasonable and the tour guide over Bangkok is very helpful.

I did stay @ Twin Tower during holiday at Bangkok on 2002.It's fun and cheap over there.My tour guide name is kitty from Bangkok Newly Tours.
What about your tour guide name?

Patpong maket is like gangster place.If you want to purchase the things you want, you must talk over the price before you touch the things.If happened you touch the things, you put in back without buying it they will give you a BLACK face or scolding.This happened with one of my friend.

esp

Hi joseph,

Think for tour guide wise it really depends on your luck. You are lucky to have a helpful guide. I hope to stay at Narai cos of the convenient location to patpong night market. Twin towers is new and seems rather comfy on the website.
Have anyone been to Suam Lam night bazaar ? Anyone went to chinatown at night ? Cos i am on a guided tour and have not much time for shopping. And only one free day and soo many places to shop. And not forgetting the thai massage and spa session, manicure session etc.. Guess worse come to worse skip the one of the guided tour day. :p

obride

hi, any idea if the convention centers in bangkok are located near to each other? there is a BITEC and a QSNCC.... we trying to find a hotel near the convention centers.... anyone can help pls?

andreal

Hi gerls,
i went to BKK last dec with hubby by Cathay airline, stayed at Twin Towers for 4D3N, the hotel is nice tho not glam..room is more spacious than some other hotels, svc is good. Breakfast is so-so but who cares coz considering the difficulties finding loo outside..ops!:p Oh yeah must tell u tis, Twin Tower is not near tos bazaar/shopping places compare to Narai hotel, Asia hotel, baiyoke, Novotel, Arnoma etc. Beta get a hotel near these area, otherwise its terrible gettin stuck in jam (1hr+?).

Haha agreed wif Joseph on Patpong, heard its a gangster territory, hard to bargain...must be careful..u got this feeling like ppl are watching u. There got pubs, pole dancing, 'shows' lar..abit rowdy.

here its goes:
Day1 (even)- Pratunam night bazaar, bought mostly kid's clothing, accesories. Then head to Patpong, bery ex!so only bought some souvenirs and tibits.

Day2 - half day tour, then proceed to WTC (not much to see), nxt go to Erawan Shrine nearby (must go! heard many ppl's wishes come true, many famous celebrities go there pray)...then we walked all the way to MBK (shd hv taken cab) Lotsa cheap shoes, accesories, handphone thingy, clothing..and yesh EVENING GOWNS!!! Esp. Wacoal lingeries at one of the Dept Store..bery cheap.

Day3 - Went to Chatuchak early in the morn at 8am! stalls start to open already. Wah this is the place i got 80% of my things. u can find clothings, cockery, furnitures, souvenirs, books, pets like dogs/fishes etc, lingeries...so many but prepare to squeeze the crowd fr aftn onwards.
Abt evening, we head to Chinatown (Yaowarat) to hv our dinner, many orient food stalls/restaurants to choose fr. Shops selling dry foods, medication, tibits(eg.kao sai-bak kwa sticks), fruits etc no much perhaps it was quite late when we reached there.

I plannin to go BKK again ard July, so might consider Baiyoke Sky or Narai hotel..if not might get bk Twin Towers again hehe. A fren who stayed at Asia Hotel said its not bad too, near bazaar area &amp; delicious breakfast.

Anyone here who are arranging the accomdation on ur own can recom. website that offer cheap rate? Anyone intend to take AirAsia?

okie hope all who plan to go BKK will hv a enjoyable and fruitful one *winkz*

postpet2

Hi andreal,

thanks for your detailed description of your trip...

me thinking of going BKK this year too, maybe in aug or so...so that i can get some stuff for my new place...was thinking of taking air asia too. but i think got to catch their promo it seems.
cos the $24 per trip price is not a permanent price leh...sometimes it can be quite ex leh...so dunno how to catch their promo yet.

did you see much shops selling wedding stuff ah? cos me thinking of going there to get my favours and print my invites...so wanna hear from girls that has done before liao...

i think so far, the cheapest branded lingeries are found in Emporium shopping centre cos there is additional 5% discount for tourists.

smurffy

Hi gals,

I just came back from Bangkok. Stayed @ Twin Tower. Not too bad. It is indeed very spacious. The breakfast is not too bad but served the same everyday. It is pretty near to Siam Sq. Only cost 60 baht by taxi. Tuk tuk will charge 100 baht. Yes, the jam is terrible.

I dun like Patunum market cos it is mainly for locals. Patpong is gd but I dun buy their t-shirts. Buy 1 size bigger if u r interested cos it will shrink. N those t-shirts with pictures like elephant, e.g...1 elephant will die after a few wash.
lol.gif

Another night market is Sukhumvit. A long night market.

Erm, Suam Lum is good! It is a new night bazaar. Things there are slightly ex but u can bargain. A lot of open air pubs which u can take a rest after shopping for supper or drinks. There are some performance too ie, singing. It closed at 11pm. Therefore, u can go there before patpong cos it is very near and patpong closed much much later. It is a good place to shop.

No
nono.gif
for Asia Hotel. It is situated in small lanes and so old. I stayed there in 02...no gd.

Well, Baiyoke is not too bad. But u must stayed on high floor...

chestnut

I might try Air Aisa but correct me if I am wrong, they hv a limit of 15kg per pax. That'll be a problem if anyone's doing some major shopping or getting wedding favors back.

I did a rough calcultion and by taking air asia and based on a 3 nights accomodation in either Eastin, BKK Palace or Regency Park (roughly S$43 for 2 pax per night) will be abt S$215 in total per person(tax included).

http://www.airasia.com

Air Asia have different prices on different timings. The one I might get is a very late dept, it set me back abt S$145, 2 ways.

Hope the info helps....
wink.gif

andreal

Hey postpet2,
oh definitely can get ur favors there, lots to choose..like tos bazaars esp. Chatuchak sure hv...but dun go Patpong ah heheh.As for invites, ops..not too sure.

yup ure rite, aiya dun know when the AirAsia promo, if not price not very cheap oso...plus minus sumtime can get a beta flight. My hubby said wana try taking one way AirAsia then come bk by Thai Airway :p

okok like dat i sure hafta go Emporium the nxt trip! btw ur customary tis yr issit? *kpo*

andreal

smuffy,
haha abt their bkfast, exactly wat i felt too.
Did u try the tuk tuk?? i haben. We got tried the hotel foot massage, shiok but ah at certain pt i wana scream ley...so pain!:X
Eh i din know the t-shirts at Patpong shrink!! aiyo :p, but i realised the t-shirt there mostly come in S/L/XL no M size.

hehe u know wat, act. some of the thai sellers are teow chew so if u know hw to speak ah, the seller will cut down the price much lower for ya *winkz*

BTW i missed Suam Lam in prev. trip, heard fr fren like wat u mentioned got live music entertainment huh..a rather nice place to relac for drink, just dat things there are slightly higher but worth going hee.

Hmm ok Asia Hotel wil b off my list, thks for telling us!

andreal

khaler,
issit true abt the baggage limit? yeah tos who wana do massive shopping sure a prob, unless u take only their one-way flight, come bk by another flight airway? wat do u tink huh...

when do u intend to go BKK?

alhana

Andreal,

Yes, the baggage limit is true. Remembered reading abt the pros and cons of taking budget airlines in the Straits Times earlier this yr. They say tt if ure planning on chking in excess baggage, it can be quite costly if ure taking budget airlines, depending on how much excess ure looking at. As for taking diff flights each way, think its gonna cost more than buying a return tix. Also budget airlines are usually less flexible than normal carriers..so read the fine print before deciding which choice is best for you. If ure okay w their terms and conditions, then budget will probably be the better choice.

chestnut

andreal,

taking 1-way flt might be a bit of a hassle in terms of booking, more work to be done and like alhana said, prob will cost more.
I might go end april, still deciding on budget or thai airways. Budget air will save me abt a hundred plus minus.
happy.gif

smurffy

Hi Andreal,
Yes, I tried the Tuk Tuk but I have to say that the drivers r more reckless now compared to 2 years ago. Probably it is too competitive. Those younger ones are more reckless. Sometimes, taking a taxi is safer n cheaper.

Aiyo, u shld try the foot maggage at Siam Sq. 250 baht for 1 hour. The one at Sukhumvit is not too bad. But make sure that they hv the cert. No gtd that u can walk the next day if u happened to walk into one with no cert. Also, never buy the make-up prdts there cos your hubby may not recognise u the next day. The best place for massage is at Pleonchit. Hotels usually charge double.

Yup, most pple in Chinatown speaks Teocheow. The seafood there is really nice. Be careful if u r taking bird nest. If it is 200 baht below, get it from 7-11. The boss will tell u "good, veli godd" but it is just like jelly.

I liked Suan Lum. More spacious, definitely very diff from Patpong. If u r lookg for sth unusual for a gift or some deco for your new hse, u may find some there, esp cravings. Modern n less claustrophobic than most mkts. Also, a few nice places to eat n drink n watch d live entertainment.

Hey, I have tailored some suits, skirt n shirts there. It is pretty reasonable n u can't get such price in Singapore. Even if u can, u may not get such quality. The fabric is from london. My london make many shirts there. It is called narry.com if interested and is located at Sukhumvit 11/1...

okeanosmao

agree suan lom is better than patpong..actually patpong nothing much to c lor..
suan lom has alot of handicrafts..some are very nice..worth buying. clothing wise not much variety. suan lom is divided into A,B,C,D,E (think ard E). its big, can walk till u r tired..but i think hv to go early cos i went there ard 8 n most shops are closed. entertainment wise, they hv 2 live singing..its like competition..not bad..can enjoy open air n singing.
went baiyoke sky for drink at the top. they hv nice ice coffee n ice tea. v different frm here. worth trying. their cakes are nice too!

esp

Okeanosanmao / smuffy,
What time does suan lam opens ? and what is the exact location ? near to which area?? Patpong or Pratunam ? Please kindly advise. thanks

Asia hotels is good only in terms of location. Heard Novotel is good, also known as a sinaporean hotel in BKK. hahah Will get to bum into friends there. Baiyoke sky is definitely worth staying i suppose cos they are he tallest hotel in BKK. BTW, are you guys aware of no view rooms in asia hotel ?

andreal

Morn gerls! *smile*
Alhana,
ok if dats the case, i will tell hubby..cos dun wana spend more time etc on 2 diff flight but end up paying w/ not much diff.

Khaler,
hey my hubby's fren oso going ned of Apr. Incase u decided to take budget airway let mi know hw is it can hee.

andreal

hey smuffy,
haha yeah can see the tuk tuk driver drive recklessly, like dat yang zhi yi and james bond Advertisment..just kidding.

So the massage cert is shown infront of the shop hor, ure rite, scarely instead of relaxing urself for the nxt shopping spree, end up resting in hotel room lol. Will take note of the places u recom.
happy.gif

Abt the bird nests, i oso heard fr my sis some are act. jelly dats why so cheap, i saw at chinatown but din buy.
Hey!! u tailored suit and skirt there? Wah can tell mi where u did dat...cos heard its cheaper to tailor suit in BKK, tot of getting one for my hubby. Meantime i'll check out its website
happy.gif

When we book the package dat time, hubby's fren told us to book Baiyoke Sky, but my hubby tot its Twin Towers. Adoi...

andreal

okeanosmao,
gee...Suam Lam so big! i still checking out hws Chatuchak rows are arranged, then wun get lost or walk the same row again and again *headache*

dophin,
wana tell us wat is no view room in Asia Hotel?
my sis stayed at Novotel, commented that its bery gd *S* yup its a s'porean hotel!! a cab driver told us..haha same goes to pathumwan princess.

postpet2

hi andreal, from what i understand, there are some rooms(on the lower level) that has no windows in the room. therefore no view lor..
i think it kinda felt like the way cruises charge for rooms. some no windows too.
I've not stayed at asia hotel so far, my parents did. so had gone to their website to see see when they went.
I've been staying at novotel in the past and yeah lor, breakfast is good and its definitely a singaporean hotel. can hear singaporean accent everywhere when eating breakfast....hehehe like back at home...

i'm quite facinated by you girls description for Suan lam market. have not gone there yet.
how to get there? got train?

love chatuchak. but a fren who got back recently says that there is not much bargain leh(different from my experience)...suam lam can bargain?

erowen

hi okeanosmao,
can you enlighten me where is Suan Lam?
any train stops there? or have to take taxi one?

postpet, last time when u stayed novotel, how much did you pay for air fare and accomodation?

Thanks

smurffy

Hi Dolphin,
Suan Lum opens at 6pm. U can bargain, definitely, just like patpong and its near to Patpong too. So, u hv to plan d trip properly, there, u will not lose time ma...can shop till u drop. Suan Lum closed at 11pm, so can proceed to Patpong from there. About 50 baht by taxi n of cos provided there is no jam.

Sukhumvit is another night bazaar. I prefer there then patpong. It is a very long stretch nite mkt. I went there on the 1st nite.

Yes, Novotel n Pathumwan princess r d best but too ex. I paid $448 for 4 days 3 nites for TG n Twin Towers. Novotel n Pathumwan will cost me abt $650+++. Anyhow, we will only be back to htl at nite, so, save the $200 for more shopping la. My fren went in Jan. He recommended DMA htl, very clean.

Hi Andreal,
Yes, I paid 5,900 baht (S$258) for a pant suit and 1 skirt on the 1st day. Like it after the fitting and decided to tailor another 3 skirts and 3 shirts for 5,500 baht (S$241). U have to bargain. My hubby did it for me...
wink.gif

In Singapore, I paid $69 for tailored shirts and $99 for tailored skirts and the fabric is not that fantastic. Give it a try. If u r taking TG flight, they advertised in the magazine.

Check it out http://www.narry.com/ (155/22 Sukhumvit Road, Soi-11/1). Take a taxi cos it is a bit far from Twin Tower or Siam Sq area. It costs less than 100 baht.

Try MBK at level 6 or the smaller shops. U can bargain and T-shirts quality there r better.

smurffy

Andreal,
If u r interested to check out narry, do it on the 1st nite. After they do your measurement, u will be able to do the fitting on the next day and completed on the 3rd day. Very quick turnover...

smurffy

Hi gals,
If any of your huuby is interested in Computer hardware n software, u can go to pantip plaza, kind of near to Siam Square. Cab fare is abt 70 baht. 1 CD (software) only cost 150 baht and they have a lot of new software which cannot find in Sim Lim Sq