Bangkok Accomodation - Advice

sue

Hi :
I came back fm BK yesterday. U can get 'dog shit' frm Chinatown (Yaowarat). The shop is Lin Zhen Xiang. I've been to BK several times and always patronise this shop for local products. They have one type of pdt which is the love letter with pork floss. It is really nice. I stayed at Grand Diamonds, it's a service apt. I booked thru a friend. Another friend stayed at Baiyoke Sky becos it came with her F&E package. The room is really big & clean.

P

pal

Hi sue
can share which shopping ctrs over there is worth going
and how about the suan lam mkt did you pay a visit?
thxs

?

:

Hi Sue,

How much did you paid for your bkk package ??
Is chinatown very far from the central bkk (mbk area)? Any recommendations places to visit ?? Did you went to the patpong area ?? heard is quite unsafe there cos it is their night entertainment belt.

Regards,

chip

Went to PAtpong with my GF the prev time we're in Bangkok. Its safe as long as you keep to the stalls in the middle and not deviate to the sides where all the bars are. Its basically a huge pasar malam with lots of tourists. Very crowded and bright.

The sellers there are kinda 'fierce'. Very aggressive, but don't worry, they won't do anything. Its a famous tourist attraction, so they don't dare to 'play play'
happy.gif

Chinatown is famous for its pork floss and bird's nest. You should try it. Other than that, nothing much there. Weekend markets like chatuchak and pratunam are must go. Those markets closes in the evening. So better make sure you go there early (the reason why i get sooo little sleep in BKK
sad.gif
)

Personally, I find the weekend markets more interesting than their shopping districts
happy.gif

If you ladies are up to it, you can get your tour guide to arrange for 'Thai girl show'
wink.gif
We went with some other members of our group (F&E package comes with 1/2 day city tour, so we travel together with afew others during the tour). Really an Eye-Opener! You'll be amazed by the things they do! Don't try to go to the bars for the show yourselves. Not safe.

chemson

Not to mention the traffic is really bad.. can jam up to 1 hr... :p But the taxi fares there are darn cheap...
happy.gif
Chinatown is not close to MBK Centre.. it is around 20 mins drive if the traffic is good that day. Yup... go for the pork floss there.. they are simply yummy.. and cheaper if bought there..
happy.gif
Chatuchak market is a must to visit if u are in Bgkok but it is only open on weekends.. so if u are going to Bgkok... gotta go during a weekend..
happy.gif
And the seafood is cheap in Bgkok... yummy !! Dun forget to visit the seafood market... u get to pick the seafood and get them to cook for you on the spot..
happy.gif

boo

hi :,
my package is actually abt 370 per pax, went there for 5 days. the room is really spacious n clean. n the hotel is jus above pratunum, a wholesale market. n it's abt 10 mins walk to world trade area. but if u dun want to walk, can also take a cab, cheap cheap...
as for the pork floss n other food, i usually buy them at MBK cos i dun really eat them so dunno where is good. but chinatown is a good place to eat cos the bird nest really yummy.. other than that, chinatown got nothing to do liao.
u going there? i've been there a few times n i'm still not bored of bangkok cos it's really a shoping heaven for us, everthing's cheap n nice haha..... i bought a skirt there for abt S$10, n i saw one in town tat day selling for abt S$30, triple the price. really regret not buying a few more sigh. enjoy urself....

P

pal

Hi all
I am going soon to BKK
where is Pratunam mkt? is it rolls of streets?
how do i get there?

other than the places mentioned above, any shopping malls which is worth going?

any idea how to plan the itnerary

I am going on 4 days 3 nights tour with a half day city tour too
i staying at Novotel

sally

Hi boo,
i stayed at AMARI Watergate very near your hotel. I guess your skirt must be from Chatuchak market huh? I also love the shopping at Bangkok.. so many nice and cheap stuffs.. in fact i just came back yesterday.. Feel so tired.. Never expected that we've walk till leg cramp.. That chatuchak market is too big to cover all. Do you like patpong?.. we kenna "ke-tok" man..same model of shoe can be found half price cheaper at chatuchak mkt.. As for Pratunam market is more dirty and the people there dun really understand english as much as sellers at chatuchak.. some even have attitude problem when they couldn't understand us.. And those food sellers like to push their carts in betw lanes.. it makes it so difficult to walk in the partunam market..

As for MBK shopping centre..things there are more EX and branded.. Not much difference as singapore shopping centre.

Hi pal,
Novetel is nearer to siam centre but further from Pratunam market. It takes about 15mins to walk.
how much did you pay for your package?

?

:

Hi Pal,

How much did you pay for your package ?

Just wana check... may i know the norm discount for bargaining at the weekend market ?? will they reduce for us if they know we are not locals ??

Has anyone here stayed in Asia Hotel No view room (Rooms with no windows) cheaper version of the normal room.

I

icecola

I went to BKK last year and stayed 5 nights at Asia hotel. My room is quite reasonable and has sliding window and day curtain. I find it very convenient to travel around as it's so near to BTS. You can buy the 3 day BTS unlimited ride card from the hotel at a discount too. I paid $50 per night only.

Wonder what is the price for a no-window room?

P

pal

Hi all
My pkg is $308 4D3N Novotel Hotel & by Thai airways w foc half day city tour

I have been to BKK before but i not sure where Pratunam mkt is....cos i walked to that area before but don't know which mkt it is
that time my colleague bought one big pk of children's clips v cheap & she told me at one of the streets but she nt sure where
sad.gif

so hope you all can give me some tips on travelling in BKK so that I won't miss out the good shopping areas worth going

mango

hi pal
i just came back from Bkk, stayed at Novotel too. but my package is $338

Pratunam is a market right inside those shop houses street. in those small lanes just few lanes away from that hotel. Just like wat sally mentioned, u can find the street where the street hawkers park their carts to sell those roadside food there.

There is a huge nite bazaar called Suan Lum nite bazaar. its really not worth going. things are more expensive and u cannot really bargain. chatuchak is a better place to go.

Hmm.. WTC has a dept called ZEN which has discount for tourist. Get the Wacoal lingerie there as it is quite cheap. There is a BIG C shopping complex opp WTC. Big C is a hyper market like Giant and pretty cheap stuffs too.

U cannot miss Chatuchak Market. For Immitation, u may want to go Pat Pong as MBK has not much of it. Prepared to slash the price by half. They would be willing to do so - not the stalls. but in the shop.

They wont reduce as much as they do for Thai locals. Of cos if u get more pieces they will be glad to give u a better discount.

?

:

Hi Pal,

The $308 is it inclusive of airport tax??

Heard from my friends that pratunam market is wholesale.. so long as you buy six pieces and above is consider wholesale and you can get some discount. You can try to go Baiyoke Sky hotel area, the basement of the hotels have some whole sale shop where you can buy lots of t shirts.

P

pal

Hi Mango
Is novotel convenient, i know near hardrock
easy to get cabs or nt?
room wise is it good
thks for yr info will pay the above places u mention to get good buys

Hi :

excludes airport tax n the tax at Bkk side
aiyoh shld have stayed Baiyoke Sky hor
seems so many good shops there
the t shirts quality is good or nt
will it strink after washing
thanks

mango

hi pal, the place is conveient and it is within walking distance to many shopping belts. room wise is ok. abt 4 star.

P

pal

Hi Mango
Thks
as we have nt much time in BKK so have to make full use of our 4D over there to shop at places worth going
happy.gif

?

:

Hi Pal,

Wow then you paid $308 for Novotel is cheap...
I paid $248 plus another $39 for airport tax sin side. staying at a three star hotel. so your $308 is inclusive of airport tax at singapore airport? which agency did you went to ?

The t shirts quality is not that good from wat i heard from my colleague. quite hard. They come in S, M, L and XL. It is 100% cotton and will shrink after wearing. I was recommended to go to a corner shop at Baiyoke Sky Tower.. Basement of Baiyoke sky hotel. Some t shirts and ladies tops are free size..

P

pal

Hi :
mine almost same price as yrs
if i stay at Asia I only need to pay $238
excludes all taxes etc
but we choose Novotel as I heard my colleague
said the breakfast there is good
so we are paying 308 excluding tax at bkk and S'pore tax.

so is it not advisable to go those shops at Baiyoke as the Tees will shrink after washing?

Hi Mango
Do you have any guide to help me to plan my trip
if you No have is ok

?

:

Hi pal,

I mean you can go to buy la. any tshirts will shrink after washing right ? go there to get your tshirts it is cheap. you can plan it on the same day as you go to the pratunam wholesale area. Baiyoke sky hotel is near the wholesale area.

Regarding the map.. you can pick them up at the arrival hall upon reaching bkk.

Regards,

P

pal

Hi :
okie
how abt the Emporium is it worth to pay a visit
i remember that time tv show one shopping at BKK
there's a shop selling decor stuff designed by BKK designers quite interesting too

B

bossanova

Hi all,

I have this feeling everyone jus go BBK to eat and shop til drop kind issit? How abt nice places to visit? Is there any?? I also want to spa there... any recommendations for below $100? Otherwise, any good massage place? hee... am going BBK next month, pls feedback fast. Thank Q!!

mango

Hi Bossanova, u can try spa at MARBLE House near Novotel. It is less than SGD100.

Hi Pal, Give u an idea .
Day 1 : went MBK and SIAM till nite
Day 2 : Morning sight see. Noon at WTC and Pratunam, Nite at Night Bazaar Suan Lum
DAy 3 : Morning Chatuchat, Noon at WTC, Evening Pat Phong, Night at chinatown
Day 4 : Home Sweet Home

?

:

Hi Pal,

Wat emporium are you refering to ?? you mean departmental stalls ?? I think they have isetan at world trade centre and Tokyu departmental stall at Maboonkong. check out http://www.mbk-centre.com
I think the shoes and bags are worth buying cos my colleagues bought lots back. think it costs ard 199baht which is ard 8 in singapore dollars.

Hi Mango,

May i know how much you spend on transport in BKK??

P

pal

Hi Mango
wow near Novotel that's v convenient for me
but is there a spa treatment for couple
??

and thanks for giving me the idea hmmm I have a better idea where to start shopping....
i am taking morning flight there and taking evening flight back so I have more shopping time

Hi :
last time i saw city beat they introduce one shop there at Emporium
its a building call Emporium
the website you give cannot link??
Yup i saw my gf with a pair of sandals with shiny beads infront and cost $5 sing $

chemson

Hi,

If I am not wrong, Emporium is an entire shopping complex devoted to branded names only. It is located just beside the BTS station Phrom Phong.

Hope this helps.

Is there a website for Marble House??? I wanna find out..
happy.gif
The spa I went to was a little ex.. but still cheaper than Singapore's..
happy.gif
Thanks in advance..
happy.gif

chemson

Hi,

If I am not wrong, Emporium is an entire shopping complex devoted to branded names only. It is located just beside the BTS station Phrom Phong.

Hope this helps.

Is there a website for Marble House??? I wanna find out..
happy.gif
The spa I went to was a little ex.. but still cheaper than Singapore's..
happy.gif
Thanks in advance..
happy.gif

mango

Does Emporium has Prada, Gucci, Louis Vuitoon, etc? i saw one shopping complex near SOGO.
Hi, i do not have the website for marble house

alhana

Hi Mango,

I believe Emporium has Prada, Gucci, LV n other famous fashion brand names. It also has Kinokuniya, Tower Records, and a huge dept store called Emporium. I went to the dept store to get my wacoal lingerie and baby stuff for my colleagues. The px of the dept store's goods are more or less similar to that of other dept stores, but its less crowded as its a more up market shopping centre. When I was there, they also had some sale..ended up my wacoal bras were 10% cheaper compared to buying them from Central, Sogo etc. But if u want cheap stuff, then Emporium won't appeal to you. Its something like our Paragon in SG.

B

bossanova

Hi Mango,

Thanks for suggestion! Will check that out...

I will be near MBK, is that near Novotel or rather Marble House?

Btw, I jus tried Amara Aspara last weekend, nice decor, service not bad, but think they very stingy with the aromatherapy oil, too faint, cannot really smell it. And they quite cheapo, all use fake flower deco. I tried Banyan tree before, all real flowers, makes the place classier.

doreamon

Hi pal,

I got a guide book on BK, U want it? Inside, we mark down places where it is good. I went there twice for 6 days on both trips and shop till i end up with 6 luggages home. :p

P

pal

Hi doreamon

Thanks for your offer
I came back from my trip
happy.gif

I had a wonderful time there hoping to go again next year do share with me what are the places worth to shop and eat :p

I went to Marble to have Thai massage
cheap & relaxing

I find I have no time to complete my shopping
sad.gif

mango

hi pal

i went to marble for the massage too.
they have a new branch which offers spa treatments
happy.gif

white_wine

hi, anyone knows if it is a good time to go Bangkok now? What's the temperature like?

By the way, anyone has any good lobang to get reasonable pkg to Bangkok? Thanks in advance!

deviant

anytime is a GOOD time to go bangkok!
mainly cos of the shopping and food!
hee hee...
happy.gif

U can check out pricline.com.sg
Apparently, they have a promotion to Bangkok F&E for S$ 193, with flight and 3 nights accom included. The only drawback is that you have to go and return on certain dates, that's why it's so cheap!

serene2001

hi deviant,

do u know where i can see details of the priceline BKK F&E package? just went to the site but cld not see it. thx.

esp

Hi Seraphim,

Where did you go for shopping N food in BKK ? Any recommendations for nice places to go ? i am planning to go year end.

leslie

Hi postpet2

marble house is just beside Novotel Siam Sq Hotel. Just exit the side entrance of Novotel and you will see Marble House

elmo_78

Hi mspiggy,

I went to Bangkok in Nov 03 and stay there. Nice hotel with spectacular view...ask for high floor when u r there. Don't miss the Buffet Night too....

However, going to MBK & weekend market is a bit troublesome...hard to get taxi sometimes.

blunt

Hi mspiggy,

maybe u would want to consider Asia Hotel? Although there's no spectacular view coz it's surrounded by buildings but it's quite a convenient location.

The bangkok skytrain[equivalent to sg MRT] is juz a road acrossed the hotel. In fact, there's a bridge link fm the hotel to the train station.
Anyway, it's bery easy to understand their train system map. It's fully aircon & clean.
happy.gif

Supposingly if u're adventurous enuff, MBK is also possible within walking distance.

My travelling in bangkok r all via trains.
Coz i've heard of those taxi/tuktuk(?) drivers driving tourists to jewellery shops etc b4 they drove them to their destination.

erowen

anyone stayed at Novotel Siam Sq before?
Is the location convenient? sorry har, i dun know where is it.

what abt the hotel, is it any good?
I am looking for hotels within walking distance from MBK or World Trade Centre.
Thanks

postpet2

Hi erowen,

I've stayed at novotel a couple of times when i go for my pilgrimage trip to Bangkok..

Its a clean biz hotel fested with many singaporeans.
breakfast is definitely good. better than some other hotels.
location is convenient too. within walking distance to MBK. must walk a little lah..

alternatively, Pathuwan princess is definitely the nearest for MBK. just backdoor only.

I know asia hotel is also super convenient for train.

chrysanne12

Hi erowen,

I stayed in Pathuwan, nice hotel but the buffet breakfast was not nice loh, as they didn't serve anything that is made of chicken, they instead subsititued with duck..so there was duck scramble egg, french toast made of duck egg...not tasting loh
Yeah, it is only a backdoor to MBK, big shopping centre, most of the t-shirts, nightgowns are 199 baht...fast foods outlets and TOPONE are there also

As for walking to the World Trade Centre, it is abt 20 - 25 mins

Bangkok is nice place, my husband and I are planning to go there again

erowen

Hi postpet2
thanks for the info! =)

dun mind me ask you some more questions. is it near any train stations? the hotel got any swimming pools or sauna?

I went to bangkok twice, used to stay at Hotel Intercon, where it was opposed one train station, it was so convenient! it's just betw MBK and world trade center, abt 5 mins walk each. But i heard it has relocated to world trade center there and took over the le-meridien hotel space. Wah! the rates has shot up so much. Too X for me.

but i dun rem seeing novotel hotel near MBK.