Bangkok Accomodation - Advice

sal

Hi gals,
Wondering if you can help me out with recommendations for hotels in BKK.

I know the Asia hotel is a good bargain, but curious as to whether it is clean?

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

mexx

Hi, u might want to consider service apartments as some of those in bangkok are really nice. They provide full services like hotels but have bigger rooms and are generally cheaper if you stay for about a week or more.

Chateau de bangkok is a great place, run by the Sofitel hotel chain. if u book the one room apartment, there is even a jacuzzi in it ! location is good too and it's within walking distance to a skytrain station. That's a good thai restaurant next to the apartment too.

For good value hotels with good location, can check out the few near MBK and siam sq. I think one of them is Pathuman Princess(forgot exact name but is something close to this) which is supposed to be not bad.

B

bkk lover

I been to BKK many times & i strongly against Asia Hotel. It might b indeed gd bargain but it is not "clean" in terms of another meaning... i met wif a few incident in the hotel... dat's Y i ban dat place....moreover the rms hv no window at all... but they still put curtain to make it look as though there's window... when u pull the curtain all u c is WALL!!!!!

I would recommend Pathuwan Princess or Novotel if u wan near MBK... or Arnoma Swiss which is juz opposite Isetan....

kpo

yup..pathuwan princess is good! decent size rooms with view..clean..definitely 4-5*..good location too!

angelia

me juz back from BKK on 15 Feb.. stayed at Asia Hotel, din encounter anything *touch wood*.

we did get a room with windows, facing the BTS (railway) but they dun hv those heavy type of curtains, only those light/transparent curtains, so if we wanna shut the sunlight, we'll close the windows. they hv a layer of sliding windows (which they the glass portion with paper or such) on top of the Glass Panel, so juz close it to keep the sunlight out.

well, we were only back in hotel to sleep, so... anyway, it's clean as in clean terms
happy.gif

kpo

i've stayed once @ bangkok palace hotel (probably same range as asia or even worst)...well, the place is kinda dingy but still ok with our standards...but hor, i kept getting rashes on my body..suspected that the bedsheets weren't too clean!

C

ck

Hi

I think for convenience sake, its better to stay in either Novotel Siam Sq or Pathumwan Princess. When you shop, you can always walk back to the hotel to put your shopping away. And start again
proud.gif

Also, its easy to grab a cab from Siam Sq area...I was in BKK recently and I stayed at Baiyoke Sky and it was so "hard" to get a cab. Most of them wanted to charge us a fixed price coz they know we are not locals. And when we wanted to take a cab to Lang Suan for dinner, it took us at least half an hour to reach the place. I stayed in Novotel before and it only took us 10 mins to go to the same place...

Just some of my thoughts...
lame.gif

Sal, if you will be staying in BKK for a long period, you can try this service apt called Somerset Lakepoint. Its nice and clean, but must walk abit to the BTS station - Asok. I used to stay there when I was working in BKK.

sal

Hi Gals,
Thanks for the tips. Will only be staying there over the weekend, so service apts are out. I think Novotel Siam SQ or PP is good, but their prices are also quite high, about $120-140 for a night?

C

ck

Hi Sal

Will you be going on a F&E package? I stayed at Novotel Siam Sq last May, I think I paid $499 for airticket and 3D2N accomodation.

L

lc

sometimes i tink it worth to pay abit more for a more convenient & safer hotel....

linda

Asia Hotel is fine. And convenient. I mean safe also cos you can return home from late night shopping via train cos the hotel is linked with the train station. I find it okay lah.

BKK Palacce is great when I went there. Cheap and clean to me....breakfast nothing much lah and dun expect the comforts of a 5 star hotel....but it is walking distance to WTC, along with great street side shopping on the way there. Very convenient.

PP is ex but of course nice and clean and next to (also considered above) Maboonkong (MBK) the biggest shopping mall in BKK. So it is very easy to go buy last minute stuff. But then again, cos it is city central, everytime you wanna go out, it is JAM.

Another cheap and good place is where most travel agents bring you....Empress Hotel/ D'ma Hotel / Mercury (last known as Bangkok Palacce). You can walk (alongside hawker stalls and great food and a tailor I always got to) to major shopping area of town from there!!!!

I find BKK safe. Unless you walk in dimly lit streets and back alleys lah....but hor, walk on the roads and no one disturb you. I feel safer than in Malaysia....namely cos I feel that the people there understand the impt of tourism to them...so they also dun try to be funny with us....Me and my gf took cab to MBK at 7+ and shop by ourselves till it close, wander the streets for makan and wait for her hubby. Quite alright. Just practise cautious in terms of not wearing too revealing clothes and not wearing too much jewellery, do to ladies in pairs, slash your cash here and there dun put everything in one wallet..blah blah blah....

sakurasan

I like D'Ma Pavillion coz it is good and value-for-money altho' it's not centrally located. Easy to get cabs and quite new.

I also stayed at Novotel Siam Sq...good location but old. And it's full of Singaporeans...

J

jj

I vote D'Ma Pavillion too. Tho' not centrally located, it is very convenient to catch a cab to MBK/Siam Sq. There are a lot of food stalls along the road just outside the hotel so u don't have to worry about going hungry late at night.

linda

My fave tailor is there.
happy.gif
Come out from D'ma main entrance, turn right, walk straight about 5-10 mins on the right row of shops is JOY Collection. A tailor run by a Thai Chinese family. They are VERY nice people and friendly too. I recommended a LOT of frens to them and they are all satisfied.
happy.gif
try them!!! The auntie there speaks teochew quite well.

vin

Hi Sal,

Maybe you can try Siam Inter-continental... Nice Room (Garden Wing), breakfast also nice. I like the environment there. Very convenient as well as the skytrain is just outside of the hotel, siam square is there as well. And walking distance to WTC....
happy.gif

orchid

I stayed at D'Ma when i was there as well. it's GREAT!! really reasonable and lots of food stalls around although i didn't try any (weak tummy). but right outside there's a bak gua shop sells really good thai bak gua - whole slice and not minced. really yummy.
happy.gif

D'Ma is walkable to the sky train - abt 15min walk passing through a whole row of pasa malam. then we discovered how cheap the cab is and we just took cab from MBK.

The entrance to D'Ma was quite impressive for a 4 star and the rooms are big.

I recommend you to have a meal at Bangkok HardRock!! We went there after a day of sight seeing - went to Grand Palace, walk the shops... etc. Looking for a place to rest for dinner. The ice cold beer was really refreshing after roaming the hot & polluted streets. The steaks are yummy and cheap (exchange rate).

sharon

I just came back from a trip yesterday, stayed at Arnoma Hotel (just opp WTC). It is also near the 4-faced buddha. Try to look out for the SIA Ez-holiday, quite good price, $367.00 travelling by SQ and stay at Arnoma. The only disadvantage is the flight to BKK is SQ 974 (2030) and back from BKK, you can choose anytime you want.

If you want shopping, you must stay at PP, the breakfast is good and the rooms are "Clean".

bluebell

Hi Sakura San,

Arigatoo gozaimsu
happy.gif
I plan to claim my hubby's mileage and just book the hotel. Will check out the website.

sakurasan

Hi bluebell

You're welcome!
wink.gif

Enjoy urself in BKK...esp eating. I love Thai food and whenever I'm in BKK, I make it a point to eat the Thai fried rice, chix in basil leave and tomyum soup for EVERY meal!
crazy.gif
. Drives my husband nuts!

angeline

hi Linda,

Do u have the address of your fave tailor shop??
Normally what kind of clothes did u tailor made & how much does it cost? If we tailor made from them, how long does they need??
uhoh.gif

Sorry for asking so much questions, hope u dun mind. Thanks in advance
happy.gif

icecream

Hi!
Haven't been to bangkok since 5 years ago! when I was still a uni student travelling with my dad & brother.
Can I know what are the good buys there? Alot of friends say that things are cheap and good there? but eactly wat kind of 'things' are there to buy? and where are the good places to eat Thai food?
Hoping to go there in June/July... if budget permits! :p
Thanks for reading this looong request!
happy.gif

linda

Hi Angeline

So far me and my frens did several items there. Men's entire suits, working pants for ladies, Shirts (their shirt patterns quite old fashion so bring your own sample to show them), skirts, formal dresses ( my fren did her ROM tube two tone thai silk and I did a low back apple green thai silk short dress). So far very good comments abt service and quality.
happy.gif
But because Thailand is behind us in fashion, do bring your own sample of shirts/skirts/ pants for them to follow.
If not a lot of pieces, they normally take a day to complete and even sent to your hotel!!!! But I would suggest you go the first day you are there.
If you have an email, I rather email the namecard to you...clearer this way, can only see D'ma from the map....

makiyo

Hi Linda,

Can you email me too?

Thanks a lot!

[email protected]

Hi icecream,

For a really tight budget, maybe you can consider the $288 5D4N F&E package from Newly Tours.

Airline: FinnAir

4 Star Hotel: Narai (Silom) incl. daily buffet breakfast & transfers to/fro airport/hotel.

I'm not sure but think promotion ends 31 Mar 03.

bluebell

Hi Sakurasan,

Ya, I love Thai food too !

Hi Linda,

Could I have the namecard too.? My email is [email protected]. Could you also give me an estimate of the kind of prices we will have to pay?

Thanks!

icecream

Thanks Linda!
Hope I'll be able to go bkk this June/July!
All of you out there, can I know where r the good places to savour some authentic Thai Food like Pineapple Rice, Tom Yam Soup, Pad Thai & those Yummy Thai Desserts!
happy.gif

def

Hi Linda ,

Will you be able to give me the address of the tailor you mentioned above .

Do they do men's suit ?

def

O

oct happy

Hi Linda,
can you send me the namecard too? My husband is thinking of going there to make his wedding suit. Do we have to bring our own design?
Also, what's the price of suit there? heard from people can bargain but want to find out the market rate first.

thanks...

H

hi

hi

stayed @ asia hotel 2 yrs back. it's convenient coz is near the sky train.

but... a bit old liao.

if you the purpose of visit is shopping. Y not stay somewhere near city area??

E

eheh

HI Linda

I know a lot of people has been asking you to send the name card...can u also pls send it to me too? My email is [email protected]

Btw, how much are their charges for skirts, pants for ladies? And how much do they charge for men's suits? How about the charges for formal dresses? Pray tell if you dun mind!!
biggrin.gif

Thanks!!

boo

hi,
jus came back from bangkok.... stayed at this hotel called baiyoke sky hotel, the room is really comfy and big, and it is 83 storeys tall. for those planning to go there mayb u can try this hotel.

?

:

Hi Boo,

How much you paid for the baiyoke sky hotel ??? is it safe there ?
The hotel is near to the wholesale center right ?

Where can i find "dog shit" or other local products in BKK?