Bangkok Accomodation - Advice

mitzi

Giggler, my bf booked thru an agency about 3 weeks ago. But we confirmed only recently. But Baiyoke Sky has many many levels, fully booked is like huh? Probably u can try book online mah.

Btw when is your flight? Mine's friday morning on Tigers
happy.gif

sweet_apple

1) Can anyone advise how much is the cab fare from BKK Airport to MBK?

2) Can I go to Grand Palace by taking Sky Train?

3) Where can I get a guide as to which tourist attractions can be accessed by Sky train?

cho

hi pp.. juz a note to drop here..

i juz came back from bkk trip n stayed @ bangkok city inn.. it's not pricey at all and location's not too bad..

alt it's not along the major roads and not exactly raffles class.. it's q comfortable and provides american buffet breakfast each morning.. and it abt 950B per nite? q a steal i find.. compared to hotels in HK.. *yucks*.. pp r friendlier in bkk too..

paopei

Anybody stay at Bangkok City Suite ? I saw from web, it's new hotel, nice and very cheap 700 baht for 1 N.
And how about Samran place, anybody stay at there before ?

disneybaby

hi.. may i noe wat is BTS, WTC , MBK.. Sorry I am doing some homework and planning to go Bangkok ard next yr Chinese New Year

Hope u all can gimme some free tution plEasE???

keke

janlee

Hi PrinCess

BTS is the Bangkok's version of our MRT, can't rem wat it stands for, prob Bangkok Train System.

WTC is World Trade Center but heard from my Thai colleague that it has been re-named.

MBK is Ma Boon Kong, a very huge and one of the main shopping centers...

Enjoy your trip!!!

erikbecker

Hi, i going bkk at end of the month. Is thinking of staying near the nite patpong market and wonder has anyone experienced hotels near the area. thks

happytea

Hi hi! i just back from BKK last night, had a great trip.

Want to introduce this interesting hotel in BKK, Its at this Ari BTS station, only 2 stops from Chatuchat Mkt.

http://www.reflections-thai.com/rooms.html

Hi erik, i think Narai Hotel is near patong, its a good one i find, stayed there 2 yrs ago.
happy.gif

Hi Princess, now there are BTS (above ground) and MRT (underground) in BKK, its operated by diff co. even if it is "interchanged" you got to walk along the path way to the other station and buy diff tickets. its not linked like ours in singapore lor. and WTC now renamed as Central Plaza if not wrong. Isetan is in there, but i preferred to shop at Central shopping centre, 7 storey mall at chitlom BTS.
happy.gif

dazednconfused

HI all... Try Centre Point near Pratunam. GREAT rooms (LARGE!!!) and only 5 mins walk to the Pratunam Wholesale Centre where the shopping is endless. We returned last nite from Bangkok after a wonderful stay in Centre Point along Petchburi Rd. The buffet breakfast is somewhat minimal, though. Nothing fancy. But the price is right (S$66/nite for a studio w/ small kitchenette), good, friendly service, lovely pool, clean, tastefully furnished and I can go on and on about the size of the room! We booked thru www.sawadee.com

It's a 15-20 min walk to the World Trade Centre and then if you walk another 15 mins, you're at Siam Sq and MBK!

ohstrawberry

Hi, L.S.

Thanks for your info, actually i also thinking of staying in Centre Point but not sure whether it's good so can't make decision. But now seeing your feedback, i felt more confident. So had decided to stay there for 2 nights during my trip in late october. Btw, any massage place near Centre Point to recommend? How the facilities in the hotel, is the swimming pool ok?

dazednconfused

Hi strawberry,

For massage, I'd recommend Healthland Spa. they have a website www.healthlandspa.com

Beautiful place! Comparable to Aspara here in Singapore! And the best part - their prices!!! Their charges are VERY reasonable. Like that of the usual massage palours that throng the streets of Bangkok. But at Healthland, you get better service and a fabulous environment. Truly a spa! We did go to the Number 1 salon right outside of Centre Point. It's a small establishment. And since we only wanted to have foot reflexology, we didn't mind. They charge 200Baht for an hour. What a bargain!

dazednconfused

strawberry,

I went to the Healthland outlet along North Sathorn Rd. Take note of the address and have the bell captain tell the taxi driver where exactly it is. Make sure you make an appointment before you go. They're very popular these days!

And, Centre Point's swimming is really nice! Jacuzzi too! Think the place's been renovated recently.

channice

Hi anyone who has stayed in Asia Hotel before,

Wonder if the hotel environment is ok? is it as creepy as it sounds? I have just booked a 4N stay in Asia Hotel, but then i suddenly hear of many negative remarks about the hotel like:
- dangerous to walk in the tunnel to mabookong
- very dark at night
- the place is very "dirty" & scary
- etc etc...

My mood of going there has been dampened by such remarks. I am still contemplating if i have to pay an admin fee just to change the hotel.

So need your advice if you have really stayed in there and offer your experiences & tips.

Thanks alot!

Celine
[email protected]

007bond

Hi Celine,

I have never stay in Asia before.. but did went to their lobby area... From the lobby area.. it is ok to me...

If you want to go MBK, you can take the BTS instead..it cost about 10-15 bahts.

moreover, the hotel has a direct connecting bridge to the station..

don't be bother by those remarks since you have made the booking...

just relax and enjoy your trip...

places to shop..
1.JatuChak (Weekend Bazaar)...
2.Pratunam mkt.
3. MBK

kejo

hi paopei,

i've came back from my BKK trip 2weeks ago.
My feedback on Samran Place hotel is ..emm.. the room has got the basic necessity..dun expect hotel-like classy look lor..
I wld use chalet room 'look' to descibe.
Svc ok lah for the rate we r paying.

Is advisable to ask for higher level as the room cld be more spacious.. The view is lousy for us as is facing their scrap yard. Anyway we draw up the curtain the whole day so doesnt matter.

Breakfast is set basis.. small portion though.. I notice their waitress treat ang mo very differently as compared to asian cust. They r more attentive to them. They wld refill coffee for them rather automatically..

however i gotta admit is a very centralise and convenient location.. As i cld walk (15mins) to pratunam mkt. And also just 5-8mins walk to the BTS station.

paopei

Hi Kejo, thanks for ur info ... Yeah, cannot expect much from the price we paid hehehhe As long the room is clean, I'm more than happy already. Can check someething with u? Any king size bed in the room? Or they just give u the queen size bed? Thanks, Kejo ...

kejo

hi paopei,

u're most welcome!
yes ours is a king size bed.. very big.. can sleep another 2 small size ladies.. heehee..

Oh yes, i bought lots of things.. shoes, bags, clothings esp. NOw still stacking up on my sofa.. not yet pack.. too many till i dunno where to start.. I bought a total 4pairs of shoes.. 2casual, 3working shoes..

If u dun mind the heatness.. go to their chatuchak mkt.. I assume u been there b4 huh? The things there r so much cheaper than town.
MBK also sells lots of bag.. cost abt S$8plus only.. can buy.. U going to pratunam mkt? there sells lots of jeans and working skirts..

imagine hubby and myself shop till nearly no $ for meals!.. serious leh.. All my S$ has utilised.. And i was so tempted to buy skirt..but worried if i buy may not b enuf for taxi to airport next day..who knows our taxi fare is cheaper than wat we expected and i'm left with somemore thai bahts..

One advise.. when u take taxi around.. ask driver to go by meter.. more worth it.. If by negotiating is usually higher..

paopei

Wah Kejo, u really shop a lot huh? Plan to go Chatucak but not sure can shop at there or not cause I bring my gal. Scare she can't stand the stuffines. How about Suan Lum? Did u go there? I plan to shop a lot too.Where did u buy ur shoes? How much? If I bargain 50% cheaper than their price should be ok, right? Scare later people scold me hehehhe

kejo

hi paopei,

no i didnt know of suan lum so i din go. I think since u r bringing yr gal is not advisable to go chatuchak mkt cos' it cld be really hot and stuffy esp when u walk inside the pavements(in betw those shops). But if u were to walk outside
u'll get dehydrated cos the heat is killing. Yr girl may not feel comfortable.. HOw old is yr girl by the way?

Food wise.. forget abt trying the tom yum there cos i find that sin one very nicer and spicier. If u happens to go MBK there is a OISHI Tappanyaki.. is very cheap and delicious.. Try it!

paopei

I will try the oishii tappanyaki
happy.gif
My gal is 4 years old, will bring small fan and umbrella for her hehehhe if she really cannot stand then no choice. Will try first ... Btw where did u buy ur shoes? MBK or chatucak?

kejo

i bought at MBK, their shoes are more trendy and more working shoes sold there..

At chatuchak many stalls sell casual sandals or sports shoes.

tupper_mum

Paopei,

You are the same Paopei I know ?? From the pregnant team??

Chatuchak is really HOT... and stuffy. So, I recommend you go there at 9am, and leave by 11am..

For kids, there are some really nice items like :

Wall decor (cheap and cute for $0.20 Sin per pc)
315927.jpg

And you can buy lots of hello kity accessories (storage box, baskets, giftset) at Chinatown :

Add : 856 Mungkorn Road, T.jakkawat (Sampeng) Sampantawong BKK 10100
Tel : 02-6224335
The boss is a Taiwanese chinese married to a Thai, she is super friendly, and the variety is a great! I am sure your darling would love their items!

Just tell taxi driver SAMPENG, and when you are there, ask around for the directions. Best to ask at the Lin ZHENG SIANG shops, they are real helpful!

paopei

Hi Tuppermum, no I'm not from pregnant team but from Samran Place.Remember? U advise me how to go Grand Palace
happy.gif
Dun know I can find the wall decoration like urs or not. Very nice ... got Winnie the Pooh or not? That day I saw Causewaypoint, so exp ler ... thanks so much for the info

paopei

Tuppermum, the shop u mention to me is it the same with the one that u told me last time at Samran Place thread?

paopei

Tuppermum, went to Chinatown twice to find the kitty shop. First time can't find, show people the address, nobody know it. The phone number is not valid. Then second time, I went there, managed to find but can't find the couples, only 2 ladies who aren't friendly at all. Fed up, dun bother to go in see and buy at other shop

worry

Hi Lemonade,

I heard Novotel is better because the room is nicer. I heard this from a friend.

So have you decided on which hotel already?

sailormoonwt

hi ladies...

Jus wanna ask some qns .. hope someone can advise me
happy.gif

are the hotel rates cheaper if we book with the hotel at BKK directly OR cheaper when we book thru asiarooms or sawadee? i tried asiarooms but most of the rooms r occupied during the period when i go BKK..jus wonder if the hotel only release certain no of rooms to these on-line hotel booking portal...

joyous097

Hi ALl

I am planning to bring my two kids to bkk in june. Can anyone advice me where to stay?I am thinking of pathuwan princess hotel. Hope to go for chao paya river cruise and some shopping...thanks

happytea

Been looking at boutique hotels of BKK since we wanted some place which is different from the normal hotels.

Just stayed over at The Key Hotel at Sukhumvit last wkend, its few mins walk to Asoke BTS station, next to The Westin Hotel, with Robinson dept store and Macdonald. Opp the main road is Time Square complex with a 24hr thai restuarant and COCA.

The entrance to the hotel is in a small but not quiet lane, opp a Korean restaurant and few massage shops.

It has a nice little pantry in the room with sink, microwave oven, refridgerator, crockery and cutleries. Free access to wireless internet.

The down side is the breakfast is limited with either porridge or bread & eggs & cereals, served in the bedroom with fruits and hot beverages. There is no hotel facilities like gym or pool.

But we simply loves this room cos its neat and modern and different.

We booked thru www.gothailand.com since its the cheapest when we compared the rates from some websites and hotel website.

Just want to intro this nice little hotel
happy.gif

http://www.thekeybangkok.com/

lovella42

I recommend Khao Sarn Road, especailly if you're travelling alone. Best place to meet knew folk.

Being on the skytrain route doesn't mean a big thing unless you are a shopping fad. Besides the Weekend Market, the skytrain doesn't go to any of the popular tourist attractions. Within walking distance or a short taxi ride of Khao Sarn Road is The Temple of Emerald Buddha, Grand Palace, National Museum, Wat Pho etc... etc... then, there is the Chao Phraya Express Boat and even the Klong Saen Saeb canal express boat.