Bad Experience with my Videographer from The Montage Guy

zhihuahua

It was a bad experience to have engaged The Montage Guy, a freelance VG to be in charge of my AD videography.

First of all, my VG package includes 10hr full day videography, $80 for each additional hours, and $50 for early morning surcharge. On top of that, the contract stated that i will receive 2x DVDs for Morning Express Highlights + Solemnization, and 2x raw DVDs for full day recording (non-edited). I have paid for 14hrs of videography and $50 for morning surcharge. To my great disappointment, the full day recording i received, is just a 70min video, (edited) from what i see. I can't imagine why a 14hrs day of videography, ended up with just a 70min video???

On the following day right after we received our DVD by post, I feedback to the videographer, asking why we were given only 1 edited raw DVD, and i requested for the original copy to be returned. He kept telling me that he'll check it out and get back to me. But weeks after weeks, he didn't respond and finally after 3 weeks, i text him again, and his reply is he have given me all that he has recorded. Again, i can't imagine, 14hrs of recording = 70min raw DVD???

The most exciting part of the video should be the gatecrashing part, however, wasn't seen in the video. Most of the scenes we viewed were cut off here and there. He say that gatecrashing part was corrupted and he couldn't salvage it. For banquet part, what we see is just people walking here and there, and the 2 March-in from door to stage. I am so disappointed that Emcees speech wasn't taken down from the start of the dinner right to the end. Only people walking around.

Imagine, after our big day, we were so looking forward to watch the video, we were eager to know what was happening during the time when we weren't around at the scene, ended up we watched nothing. We've paid 14hrs VG, but exchanged with 70min raw recording. How can that be possible?

inspectorgadget

Hi Chi,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

However, I hope to make some fair statements.
14 hours of the videographer's time does not equate to 14 hours of video. While the full day's schedule of your wedding day is 14 hours, it does not mean the videographer is always recording. 14 hours will include the time for video editing, which is usually 6 hours.
That leaves 8 hours. Of that, there will be short breaks, gaps and traveling time in between amounting to about 2-3 hours. Leaving 5 hours.
Usually, they need to do retakes of certain footage. That might take up to 2 hours of footage. So you are down to about 3-4 hours of raw footage.

Next, we need to recognize that wedding videographers work in imperfect situations all the time. Especially in the aspect of sound - while we hear the voices and dialogues very clearly when we are at the venue, the electronic equipment may not receive as well. This is due to the environment noises that we may not notice. For example, videographers need to mute the TV set and turn off fans to reduce the noise in the background. Another common problem is sound coming from long distance. The human ear may hear it properly, but the equipment might not record it as clearly. Digital sound editing has its limits in salvaging the sound content. unfortunately, removing noise is still a very big challenge.

zhihuahua

Hi Inspector Gadget, thanks for your clarification.

However, although i mentioned about 14hrs of videography, I wasn't expecting a 14hrs full footage. Timing is not the main concern, but the contents of recording taken. We started the day from 4am to 12pm, and 5pm to 11pm. Don't tell me out of the 14hrs, there's only 70mins of scenes that can be recorded? Moreover, as stated in the contract, i should be taking raw footage, not edited footage. If like what you mentioned, i am down with 3-4hrs of raw footage, why am i getting only 70mins footage such a great difference? Again, timing is not the main concern, if i can see what is expected in the 70mins video, should be fine.

Most of the exciting part wasn't recorded. As what i mentioned earlier, the gatecrashing part disappeared, the dinner part was incomplete. From most videos i've seen, other than reception part, video recording should start right from the beginning from Emcees speech to guests' expressions, 1st/2nd March In, and whatever performance on stage etc..... right to the end. Well, we do not have any performance for our case, but at least we have 2 Emcees hosting the night for us. For my video, i don't see any of these scenes which i think is really ridiculous. Emcees are also important part of a wedding dinner. Where was the VG when Emcees were hosting? I was given the impression that the VG only start shooting when we were around, and laze around when we were not around, as most of the scene, we were in the picture.

I do recognize the hardwork behind video recording. However, as consumers, we are looking for end results, not into the technical aspects. We can jolly well ask a friend to do the recording using a normal vicam or even digital camera, but due to the challenge that you mentioned, we rather pay a professional to do the job as we want a quality work for our important day of our life. Since a VG can claim himself to be a professional to capture the precious moments of your life, he should have already overcome those challenges and not using these as excuses for not doing a good job.

As compared to the photographs taken by a PG from another studio, she really did a good job.

angjanice

hi brother chi, i jus saw ur case and i'm sorry to hear abt it. u mind including a link or something to see his work done for u?
happy.gif

missysee

"Inspector" Gadget,

I can't help but to poke my nose into your comments which I doubt it's any fair statements to Chi either. Let me say some words as an ex-bride who's been thru wedding preparations and in the shoe of the wedding couple.

As a professional VG, THE MONTAGE GUY should be able to work under "imperfect situations" and overcome them at the best he could. This is what they are paid for!!

Like Chi mentioned, she wasn't expecting 14hrs of videography. My VG returned me with raw (but edited footage) of whole day's event of 2 DVDs of 1.5-2hrs each. Focusing on the gatecrash, emcee speech, Groom's speech, both march-ins, not to forget the general flow of the actual day. Duration of what was return is not crucial, but the contents itself. If Chi's returned footage of 70min is well edited, highlighting the main focuses of the wedding, well, I guess he may be pardoned despite going against what was stated in the contract.

How irresponsible can the VG get to simply say he can't salvage the gatecrash??!! Ok.. In the worst case scenario that the gatecrashing part was really beyond salvage for whatever CRAP~ technical reason, shouldn't he highlight this to the couple earlier instead of keeping mum over it until being prompt on the missing part?? and what's wrong with the missing part for emcee speech etc? Was he busy taking a smoke outside??? We do not know... My VG was always ready on standby mode for the couple. Even way before we are ready for the speech, march-ins etc.

What do you mean by "sound coming from long distance"??? Can you give a scenario where a VG is 5m away from the couple and such that he can't record anything? We are not talking about shooting a movie here. Even if the sound effect was not ideal, he could simply replace it with some music. Apparently, he can't even be bothered to overcome his product defects.

If this VG wants a pie of the wedding VG market, he should have invested in a better and not spoilt videocam. To him, it may be just a job, but to the couple, it's a once a lifetime memory for their most important day in life!

I do not know who you are and who are you to speak up for THE MONTAGE GUY... but pls put yourself in the shoes of the couple before you comment. Not simply showing off your technical knowledge here...

raneejuanjuan

I cant help but to side missysee and chi as well.
whats the point of hiring and paid to do when you can might as well ask a friend to do it.
i cant imagine what you've commented "inspector gadget". for the irresponsible VG, this is your job and you do this for a living, not a poly days project test and error. we are talking about people's once a life shoot thingy here. Simply dust your butt and ignore the problem your client bring it up, for sure i know you will be boycott in your industry in no time. Biz comes by the word of mouth, and im sure you will not be shortlist in my industry as well if we need shoot or TVC.
As for inspector gadget, you know who you are.
Disgusted
sad.gif

inspectorgadget

I do apologize that my comments have come across like defending Montage Guy. I never meant for it to be that way. The technicalities were never intended to side Montage Guy. Chi rightly pointed out that I said he should return about 3-4 hrs of raw footage, but he only returned 70mins. And it is right that the service provider should rectify any technical challenges while he is working on the ground.

I do see both Chi and missysee's point of view. Loss of content is indeed a very tragic thing. I'm not saying that Chi should just accept Montage Guy's excuses.

I pointed out the technical aspects because we do not know the exact situation during Chi's wedding day.
Also to answer missysee, shooting from 5m away usually occurs when you need a wide angle shot or group shot. I am only saying sound recording will be a challenge, not the video footage. This is but a technical argument and you are right that the service provider should handle it to his best abilities.

Personally, I was in contact with Benjamin of Montage Guy before and I was not at ease at all with his overly smooth sales pitch and his equipment was not exactly professional.

mck

Learning lesson for all. There are a lot of photographers and videographers in the industry. Of all the videographers in the market, you chose a free-lancer to do the job.

Yes, his charges may be less compared to others. But I truly believe in "how much you pay is how much you get". I am not generalizing, saying that all the free-lancers are not good. But if you know the importance of the capturing of the moments of your wedding instead of having still pictures, I think you should consider a professional videography company or even a production company.

2 cents worth.

inspectorgadget

For the last time, and for goodness sake, I am NOT Benjamin from The Montage Guy.

For all I care, he left a bad impression when I was in contact with him.

I was just trying to make some fair statements, and most of them in this case was not even fulfilled by The Montage Guy. I hope everyone who has read this thread can come to that conclusion.

zhihuahua

There are a lot of PGs & VGs in the industry, and definitely not all consumers can afford to hire a professional from a VG company, not to mention a production company, at a much higher price. On the other hand, consumer with tight budget would still like to have someone to help out in capturing the moments, hence that's the reason why freelancers are hired.

For my case, I accepted the fact that The Montage Guy is not using a very professional equipment, and the fact that i will be given 2 DVDs of raw footage. Frankly speaking, picture quality still turns out to be good. However it's the contents that is disappointing. Why was he following us for the whole 14hrs, yet not focusing on recording? As agreed with contract, he promised me 2 DVD with full day recording, but it turns out to be a DVD with 70min recording. His explaination is: end up the whole recording can fit into one DVD.
I'm still puzzled, why would he want to waste 14hrs of time with us, but not taking anything valuable?

raneejuanjuan

What you pay is what you get. If you dun get what you should be getting, why should you pay for what you didn't get.
ASK for discount or something. Chi !

zhihuahua

Renee, he don't even reply or take my call now. It will be good if i can get compensation, but I rather he can return me the original ...

raneejuanjuan

ok ladies, something we ought to learn..alternative ways to locate the freelancer out there beside mobile. get the photocopy of the IC in future.

mck

Of course there is the S-11 sign to think about. If you search carefully, the price difference isn't that great and by paying a little more, you get assurance and better quality, why not?

raneejuanjuan

sometimes not about money, woman always go for the feelings..the feel is good to go ahead for the particular VG or PG. you wun get to know until you try it, but not all will be the unlucky one. But still no excuse for being professional, Work is work, we paid you, you produce what u should. we toking about biz and not Gan wing
sad.gif

Send chaser to his FB...

inspectorgadget

Benjamin (The Montage Guy) does wedding videography on a part time basis.

Freelance really means being your own boss working on project basis. So I would consider photography and videography businesses 'freelance' as they are only as secure as their last paid assignment.

wadsup07

I have some bad experiences with Benjamin as well. I have not get to watch the final product that he has produced. But his promises etc. for a pre video shoot was done but he is not able to produce in time for me. If so, in the first place he shouldn't have told me on the particular timeline. Anyway, if you are looking for a cheaper videographer, i believe he is ok, but looking for a prefect wedding or someone more professional, you got to look further.

blinky03

I always tell my friends to engage people they have tried and use. It's the safer (not safest) way to go when it comes to important events like a wedding.

chinzilla

Carol: I think I heard of ur case from ben himself. He mentioned he was doing pre we'd videos but he could not complete one video as it did not meet his standards. So he returned the pmt. Not sure if it's u but I do hope he at least refunded u. Hmm he has some nce video and v friendly in person, but this was th reason I didn't take him up.

As I believe the client is more concern abt getting the pdt as agreed than saving money.

So.. I think he may still be a value vg, but with some flaws for the price