Arrangement of threads/posts

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Obride,

Thanks for the feedback. However, I still don't understand the reasons cited for not having alphabetical order sorting. Why give up one when we can have both?

If a user would like to join discussions on "Hypothetical Bridal Boutique", it would be located in "Bridal Boutiques & Services" category, in "Hypothetical Bridal Boutique" topic. The user would be able to locate the thread because it is arranged in alphabetical order. If it is not arranged in alphabetical order, wouldn't it be more difficult to find the relevant topic?

We also noticed that forums having chronological sorting order tend to have several discussion threads on the same topic in various places of the relevant category. It is because of this, we've chosen to arrange the topics in alphabetical order. We don't think we've eliminated the problem but we've definitely reduced it.

Please don't get me wrong, we are always open to suggestions and feedback. However, we need to consider changes of this magnitude very carefully because it means affecting everyone who frequents and visits SingaporeBrides. There should be very compelling and logical advantage before such decisions are taken.

We would also be interested to understand your reasons for saying the last 12/24/72 hours link is not useful. I've always find them very useful till this date.
happy.gif

If you want to track a particular topic, you can always indicate in your profile that you would like to receive the new messages as e-mail. Thereby, you'll get to know when there are new messages in the topic even after a period of inactivity in the topic.

The "Marketplace & Exchange Corner: Bridal Packages" is actually using chronological order. With the topic having the newest message arranged on the topmost position. If you click on the link above, you'll see that the topics are arranged chronologically, with the newest to the oldest, in terms of activity.

We welcome more views and feedback from all on this discussion. Thank you.
happy.gif

Regards,
Chin Leng.

O

organizedforums

To further my point:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=75

As you can see, posts with pictures in them have a photo icon in the subject title, so that people with 56k modems can avoid, or, to get more people to click on the link because pictures talk more than words.

Threads are divided into pages in the title.
So that you need not go through all the pages.

Light bulbs on the left light up to show that you have read that link the last time you logged on, AND there is a new post in it.

Number of views for each thread recorded.

There is a small scroll box on bottom left
to search for posts 48 hrs, 7 days etc.
Just like SB's 12,24 hour search.

On the right, a scroll box for category jump.

All these and then some are essential tools for a successful forum, IMO
happy.gif

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Wan,

No need to ask for pardon, we are all here to discuss ways to improve the forum. It is common that there will be different views in the forum.
happy.gif

Anyway, regarding the tracking of the topic, the forum actually has a very good function where you can edit your profile whereby new messages in the topics which you've selected to be e-maild to you. This would work regardless how long you've been away from the forum, as long as your e-mail address remains valid.

The e-mail you received is the actual posting. Within the e-mail, it also has a link whereby you can jump immediately to the topic and post your reply. You don't even have to remember the exact title of your topic and gauge how long since you've last posted the message.

Would also like to hear feedback on why you find the search function not useful. As there are currently 758,312 messages in the forum. It is thus understandable that too many results will be returned if the search criteria is not restricted or too common.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

O

organizedforums

===========================================
Thanks for the feedback. However, I still don't understand the reasons cited for not having alphabetical order sorting. Why give up one when we can have both?

If a user would like to join discussions on "Hypothetical Bridal Boutique", it would be located in "Bridal Boutiques & Services" category, in "Hypothetical Bridal Boutique" topic. The user would be able to locate the thread because it is arranged in alphabetical order. If it is not arranged in alphabetical order, wouldn't it be more difficult to find the relevant topic?
===============================================

This is my reason why the alpha order is not effective:

But being alphabetically sorted by thread titles serves little purpose to solve that or ease of search. Because this all depends on how the user phrases his question in the thread title.

An example straight from the forum:
"Any recommendations to Phuket?" is the same
as "Recommendations to Phuket." as well as
"Bangkok, Phuket"

These three threads are talking about the same thing but they are ALL listed together on the same page. This makes the forum very cluttered
and difficult to read. The best forum is where the user can find their info quickly and easily.

----------------------------------------

It is true that there will be repeated posts
of the same topic, that's why moderators
encourage searches using keywords first before asking questions (which should be built up as a culture in the forums), and locking repeated posts with link to the stronger similar post.

Sorting the entire forum in alpha order upfront
makes it very difficult to find topics.
The search engine should do that job AFTER
the keyword is input. The original forum discussion display should be free and easy.

Once again, trying to help and IMO
happy.gif

O

organizedforums

An example straight from the forum:
"Any recommendations to Phuket?" is the same
as "Recommendations to Phuket." as well as
"Bangkok, Phuket"

These three threads are talking about the same thing but they are ALL listed together on the same page. "Any recommendations to Phuket" is on top because "Any" starts with "A" and "Recommendations to Phuket" is in the middle of the list because it starts with "R".

I think this is what everyone is trying to say.
Alpha order does not matter because the subject title is not the crux of sorting. It is too random.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

Anyone else has anything to add? Would definitely like to hear more views and opinions first. If a change is required, it would be done.
happy.gif

Regards,
Chin Leng.

O

organizedforums

Hi CL,

One more thing to point out, the reason why we
are not getting anyone to post in this thread
as much as we want is because this thread is not bumped up to the top of the main list to get the attention of users.

The user would know that this thread has be so active over the past hour with one glance.
He has to click on the 12/24 hour link to see
the activity and even then, has a chance of missing it too because he is scrolling down.

Every click on the internet is time and money.
A lost click is a lost opportunity.

I see that the Market sub is in chrono order,
it would be great if the rest are the same.

One more thing i saw is that there are a lot of
"Any (MONTH) 2004 brides" threads. And when i click on the thread, there is a slew of info in the thread. They prob talk about the same things in every thread regardless the month : honeymoon, gowns, hotels etc

I think the subcategories will do well to sort the info. If i want to find out about hotels, i click on "Community" > "Hotel"

Even the "Marketplace" can be sub into:
> Rings
> Gowns
> Hotel packages
> Miscellaneous

obride

hi Chin Leng, i'm talking of the order in the last 12/24/772 hours link. not one u referring to above. it's not in any order i recognise :)

also, to clarify, i'm not saying th last 12/24/72 hour link is not useful, just that the way the results are organised is not useful... or rather, not the way i like to use thr forum.

i think this issue has alot to do with how different users use the forum.

most of the time, I have a few favourite threads. when i click refresh, i like to see if there are new posts for these threads which may be in differnet category. so when i click last 12/24/72 hours link, i need to scroll down the page from line 1 to last line on the page to find my favourite thread and then scan to find the latest post in the thread. sometimes after scrolling up and down and finding my favourtite post, i find no new post.... with the chronological listing, i just go to the top of each category and the latest post is there, regardless of whether my favourite thread has any updates.

when my favourite thread has no activities, i still like to know what is the most recently talked about topic. and join in if applicable.

i suppose if possible it's best to provide 2 options, one click and we see latest listing in alpha order and another link for peopl who like to see listings in chrono order.

i don't really like the setting that sends me an email on new posts on my favourite threads.... i activated once and in the end, my mail box is full within a day cos the thread so active suddenly after a period of no activity

if need be, i's be most interested to join your team on volunteer/parttime basis to help with implementation of this :)

obride

organisedforums, it's not in chronological order what????
i cut and paste the first 2 thread from the following category:

Marketplace & Exchange Corner: Others
Andaman Langkawi
mint (mint) - 10/05, 9:52 am -
chuckybabe (chuckyba - 10/05, 11:09 am -
kata echo (kataecho) - 10/05, 9:49 am -
vone (vone) - 10/05, 11:08 am -

Accessories Sets For Sale
Dor (dor) - 10/05, 10:55 am -

u can see it's not in alpha order cos accessories comes b4 andaman in alpha order
its not in chrono order either cos last post of andaman thread is 9.52am while lasat post for accessories thread is 10.55am

J

justview

I thought the forum has improved a lot? Used to hang my PC at home cos I only had 52k modem dial up..but nowadays the loading has become so fast..such that I can access the forum even at home.
Thanks CL.

obride

actually, it has become slower for me.... cos i use volume based connection at home and everytime i refresh easily clock 1-2mb of traffic. i have been wanting to ask CL if he knows the reason, is there more attachments now or wat

PS: i agree CL is doing a good job so far... no issues with that. do not get me wrong... just that this listing issue has been in my head ever since i started using this forum in 02. this is just a feedback on user preferences....

O

organizedforums

OB Rider,

The email notification is a useful tool in many forums. It is more useful for people who post
classified ads. Conversational threads are less likely to gain the advantages of the tool.

Your explaination on thread org is basically the same as mine.
In summary: Latest post bumps thread on top.

In your example of Andaman and Accessories,
your explaination is incorrect.

The last post of each thread is at the bottom of the thread, and SHOULD be there.
Last post of Andaman is 11:08am by vone.
Last post of Accessories is 10:55am by Dor.
Thus, last post bumps the thread to the top,
in this case, is Andaman.

There is a difference in thread and post.
The latest post should be at the END of the thread. Reason for this is for easy reading and users can read from head to toe.

The latest thread should be at the top of the thread list. And be bumped up by the latest post.

Hope this is clear enough.
happy.gif

obride

oh yes u are right... now i see the market place in chrono order. and yes, that's the way i hope the rest of the categories can be listed when i click on last 12 hours link
thanks for helping me see the picture

G

groom2005

Hi Chin Leng,
I enjoy reading your forum. My FW really loves it.

Just a question, ever thought of changing your forum?
The reason I ask is that your discussware forum is very unstable and easily crushable.
No offence to you, I work as a system engineer, I know that this forum might not be able to substain its loading and it slows down the bandwidth. Even I have a hard time loading up the topics and searching.
happy.gif

You might want to ask your hosting company for advice.

I also notice that the other wedding forums are having better forum capabilties than yours.

You might want to consider switching?

Just a thought.
happy.gif

wenn

I just wanna say that I still prefer Singaporebrides forum. I have no problems loading the threads for reading. Femalebridesonline, on the other hand, is so heavily loaded that i can't even load any threads at times. I kept getting a timeout. It is definitely more graphics intensive as compared to Singaporebrides. Hence, the pages take much much longer to load.

Just my thots
happy.gif

maraquan_draik

I prefer Singaporebrides forum too. I got a big problem looking for a tropic in femalebrideonline that I give up before I got used to the forum.

I like the alphabetical order arrangement for the archive section. However I dun really like the search feature provided. It gaves me too many results. Instead I will hold "CTRL""F" and type "Phuket".

yamiyogurt

i also prefer SB forum n find it more user friendly. for thread like bridal studio n banquet venues, the alphabetical order is a must. Arranging these threads will not make a lot of sense becos pple want to find the BS/hotel they r interested in and not the most updated/recently posted topics.

but for threads like matters of the heart...maybe a chronological order will be more logical. :p

just my tots.

O

organizedforums

yami,

we all enjoy the forum, but a good forum is one
that is consistent throughout, be it the search
or the layout.

How would bridal studio and banquet venues need
the alpha order so badly?

I have said it many times:

"Who had their dinners at Amara Hotel?"
compared to "Amara hotel good for dinners?" are the same thing. BUT because one starts with "W" and the other starts with "A", they appear at TWO different parts of the same page.

Does that help your browsing when you want Amara hotel when you enter the thread title listing page? No! You have to use the Search engine with the keyword "Amara" (which is the correct thing to do!)

So, that leaves the reason that alpha ordering thread titles is not necessary.

Chrono ordering thread titles keep people coming back to read the latest new posts/threads.
If you want to get all info of "Amara" hotel, you do a quick search. Easy. But if you are not searching for anything specific, you just need a quick eye movement to see what posts are new everytime you get in SB.

* AND that's AFTER SB has more subcategories.
So if "Gowns" are my fav topic of discussion,
i would click straight from Main > Community > Gown. Then i browse latest topics and participate if i want to.

The subcategories scenario: (3 clicks)
click > Main
click > Community
click > Gowns
(then see what are the latest posts on top of list)

The 12/24 hour tool senario:
It returns EVERYTHING from all trees.
I have to:
click >
scroll> (strain eye to see my fav topic tree)
click >
scroll> (to find stuff because it's alpha order)
click again to read

I hope everyone reading this understand what
I am talking about
happy.gif

G

groom2005

Hi CL,
hopefully you are the not the admin.
I notice my message was edited.
My message was:

"I also notice that the other wedding forums are having better forum capabilties than yours.

You might want to consider switching? "

The admin (was it you?) edited my message

I don't see why the admin has to delete this part.
Or the admin have a hidden agenda against them?
*puzzled*

happy.gif

O

organizedforums

Hmm I just checked out femalebridesonline and ido.com. I didn't know they exist.
Well after browsing, I found out that the
forum platform they are using is the same
as what i have been talking about.

Femalebridesonline seems to have more activity,
since i saw it's started in 2000. Ido.com is
started in 2003?

The biggest advantage SB has over these two
forums is the user age group. SB has more matured users and are less likely to post
threads like how a sexually curious teenager would in most forums. That also means more accurate/real info and a better forum for research.

Well it's up to admin to upgrade at this point.

O

organizedforums

sure! that was my first few times posting here, i was not familiar with the public posting area where I don't have to register to post. Never came across that before.
happy.gif

I will stick to one handle and will register when i decide to participate actively in the forums.

jlee31

i like how u say 'sexually curious teenagers' so i made a check to the 2 forums..

i agree tht femalebridesonline is very messy... in fact abit head spinning to be there but i think IDO does have good info and research to offer.

and both are able to sort topics anyway the user likes. chronological, alphabetical, most posts, most replies etc etc.

SB also has good info but sometimes i feel tht too many ppl begin 'chatting' and going out of topic in almost every topic. so can also become quite messy loh.

just my 2 cents worth... i guess different forums have their strengths and depends on what each user wants. i personally prefer a more graphical one.
happy.gif
but hey. im still sticking arnd here once inawhile so i guess SB is fine too.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Groom2005 and Bonkers,

Please do not use different nicks if you are the same person.

We are aware that there have been users who misuses SingaporeBrides forum by postings messages, sending unsolicited e-mails and private messages (PM) to our users in an attempt to promote their site or services. We do not encourage such activities and thus would remove links when deemed necessary.

We appreciate your understanding in this matter. Thank you.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

jlee31

chin leng...
errr what makes u think we r the same ppl?
i dono who is groom2005, sorry.
and im not promoting anything.. im juz suggesting how u can improve ur forum

why not take advice n work on it instead of accusing ur readers?

also..juz my 2 cents worth..if u find ur forum superior from others then be upright about it mah .. don haf to go and edit ppl's postings. members need basis of comparison too.

hope u not offended.. im juz speaking my mind. i already said.. i do enjoy SB and hang arnd reading the forum too.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Obride,

You are clocking 1 - 2MB because there are more postings per day now as compared to year 2002 when you joined the forum. We really appreciate your long-time support here and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support.
happy.gif

When in 2002, as I recall, our daily number of postings was about 1000 a day. Now, we average about 2000 postings a day. This has doubled the search result page to about 400KB in file size.

SingaporeBrides forum uses minimum graphic images. We didn't turn on the avatar functions as we would like to keep the download time of the forum to the least. However, there may be more attachments and images within the threads you frequent as more users share images within the threads.

Since you are using volume base, we would thus suggest the following usage:

1. When you first come into the forum, click on last 12 or 24 hours for the one-time loading.

2. After you've clicked on the topic you like and finish reading the messages there, instead of using the last 12/24 hours link, use the back button of your browser instead. That way, you'll save on your bandwidth as your browser is using the cached page instead loading a new one into your browser.

However, in the long run, if you noticed that you've continuously reach your volume-based internet price plan cap or paying close to the unlimited price plans, it would be advisable to switch to unlimited plans instead.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

jlee31

just wana chk.. is there a way to make only last posts appear when i click 12/24/72 hrs.. instead of the entire thread?

now when i click 12 hrs.. the entire topic with the posts appear but only the last 1 or 2 are new ones.

thanks.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Bonkers,

I'm sorry that it was a misunderstanding. I was just checking and it was not meant as an accusation. I apologise for the misunderstanding.

Many changes and improvements have been made in SingaporeBrides, not just the forum. These changes came about after receiving feedbacks and comments from our users. We always take the views of our users into consideration when we make changes.

Please also do not misunderstand us. We do not find our forum more superior. We also have our limitations and areas for improvements. As such, we oftenly discuss our view points with users.

However, there were past incidences whereby some service providers had tried to use the forum to promote their site and services by providing the link in the forum. We are accutely aware of such attempts and strongly discourage these activities.

We are sorry but we are forced by circumstances to remove the links or messages when necessary. We hope you would understand our difficulties and thank you for your continued support.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Bonkers,

Pertianing to the question. The last 12/24/72 hours is actually the result page of postings made within the last 12/24/72 hours. We are sorry but currently we can't display only the new messages since the user has last clicked the last 12/24/72 hours link.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Organizedforum,

Apologies for taking so long to respond to your messages.

You've mentioned that there are a few threads on "Phuket" and you are right. However, if you notice, the thread "Phuket, Patong Beach" is the most active and has the most messages as compared to other "Phuket" threads. Similarly, there are currently 3 threads on "Amara" under "Wedding Banquets" category and the topic "Amara Hotel" has the most messages and it contains messages from 11 Aug 2000 to current date. I would tend to think that this is because users are able to locate this "Phuket" and "Amara Hotel" thread as the subject title was more aptly named and arranged in alphabetical order.

Even if the threads are arranged in chronological order, there will still be threads whose subject title is not properly named. In fact, I would think there will be more threads of similar topic created as there is no way new users can locate them.

You may like take a look at the active topics in "Bridal Boutiques & Services" and when I checked a while ago, there were 42 active topics within the last 24 hours. I would think that it would be difficult even for regulars to find their regular topics if they are arranged in chronological order. The active topics will keep changing its position. The position of the active topics will be too random to be located. However, since the topics are arranged in alphabetical order, the topics can be located with less difficulty.

Regarding the Previous/Next link, it would bring you to the previous/next thread if you click the Previous/Next link while you are in the page with the most recent postings.

We show up to the newest 120 messages in the forum. Any messages before that would be archived. If you click on the Previous/Next link when you are in the archived pages, the Previous/Next link would actually bring you to the previous/next archived pages.

For the "Brides of month/year" threads, I don't think it is necessary to further sub-categorise it. The threads are more like a gathering of wedding couples whose wedding date falls on the same month. Actually, come to think of it, "Brides of month/year" threads are the best example why the topics should be in alphabetical order.
happy.gif

However, I think it is a good suggestion to further categorise the "Honeymoon and Travel" by continents. We'll monitor the development and will categorise when required.

I don't think there is a perfect arrangement currently and I also don't think that we have the best solution. However, we do think that the current arrangement better meets our current requirements.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Yami,

Thank you for the feedback. We also think that threads on "Bridal Boutiques", "Photography/Videography" and "Banquet Venues" would be more suited to be arranged in alphabetical order.

We had considered arranging threads in "Matters of the heart" and "Anything Under The Sun" in chronological order. But we were concerened that if different category having different sorting order may confuse new user. That's why currently only topics in "Marketplace and Exchange Corner" are arranged in chronological order.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

O

organizedforum

First of all, I do not see the "Quote" button in the posting box so i have to cut and paste your postings to reply. I could be wrong since i am not registered, so there maybe hidden buttons?

You wrote:
---------------------------------------------
You've mentioned that there are a few threads on "Phuket" and you are right. However, if you notice, the thread "Phuket, Patong Beach" is the most active and has the most messages as compared to other "Phuket" threads. Similarly, there are currently 3 threads on "Amara" under "Wedding Banquets" category and the topic "Amara Hotel" has the most messages and it contains messages from 11 Aug 2000 to current date. I would tend to think that this is because users are able to locate this "Phuket" and "Amara Hotel" thread as the subject title was more aptly named and arranged in alphabetical order.
-----------------------------------------------

I don't see the point of keeping a thread alive
since year 2000!? Sure, the title could be Amara, but there are a million things to talk
about Amara. I see that there are many archive
threads of 60 posts each. The user will have to click on each of the link and find the needle in the straw. Why is there a need, for a new user,
or regular to even go through all that? (I know a search with more detail keywords will return the relevant threads, which further prove the point, why is there a need for alpha order?)

you wrote:
----------------------------------------------
Even if the threads are arranged in chronological order, there will still be threads whose subject title is not properly named. In fact, I would think there will be more threads of similar topic created as there is no way new users can locate them.
------------------------------------------------

Who is to say when a subject title is or is not properly named? Of course there will be more threads of similar topics created and new users will use the SEARCH engine to find their info
BEFORE posting. That's why i talked about building a FORUM CULTURE before. FORUM CULTURE of the day is "DO A SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST."
Before long, your regulars will act as moderators enforcing that culture if new users post the usual questions.

you wrote:
-----------------------------------------------
You may like take a look at the active topics in "Bridal Boutiques & Services" and when I checked a while ago, there were 42 active topics within the last 24 hours. I would think that it would be difficult even for regulars to find their regular topics if they are arranged in chronological order. The active topics will keep changing its position. The position of the active topics will be too random to be located. However, since the topics are arranged in alphabetical order, the topics can be located with less difficulty.

That is what the search engine is for right?
Here's a few ideas from another leading forum under - User Profile:

User Statistics
6727 posts (5.29 posts per day on average)
F1_Fan last posted at 12:13 PM 10-8-2004 to CAT 5 Cabling and Distance (in Computers)
F1_Fan has been a member for 1271 days.
Click <here> to search for topics created by F1_Fan.
Click <here> to view F1_Fan's watched topics.
<send>

I know about the Email notification function.
Most people do not use that for normal convo threads because it clogs up email accounts if the thread is active. That is why WATCHED TOPICS
keeps track of threads that user participated in the past (XX) weeks. This info is stored in the server, auto clearing every (xx) weeks.

Put the task of keeping track of topics participated WITHIN user profiles, not in the public. With a good search engine, a regular can easily find the topics he last posted.

He can also use the Search under his handle.
I do see that SB has that function.
Isn't that enough for a user to find the topics he is interested in?

Searching of info could be separated into "Search under Archive" and "Search under Recent" It is easier for the user to know if
info is recent.

you wrote:
-------------------------------------------------
For the "Brides of month/year" threads, I don't think it is necessary to further sub-categorise it. The threads are more like a gathering of wedding couples whose wedding date falls on the same month. Actually, come to think of it, "Brides of month/year" threads are the best example why the topics should be in alphabetical order.

??? Yes, a gathering, and talk about what???
Important information like hotels, gowns etc right? WHICH comes back to the same old thing,
that subcategories are needed to have people participate RELEVANT topics in the appropriate sub.

I simply and absolutely do not understand why
singapore forums have this link called "Anything under the sun" ???? Isn't that the mother of bandwith waste and the cancer of forums?
This is a wedding portal, if there is a need for
anything remotely close to "Anything under the sun" it should be "Couples Lounge" where users
talk about topics that are not classified in any of the other subcategories yet staying within the boundaries of marriage issues.

A good forum is like an encyclopedia. Search engine, and find good info. That's it.
It is supposed to be better than the internet, better than Google, because it is local, it is current and it is EASIER to search than Google.

I chose this forum to offer my views because i find that it has the most matured audience among all the sgp forums i have been. I have so many valuable suggestions than my little fingers can type. And... i have nothing better to do this week.

you wrote:
I don't think there is a perfect arrangement currently and I also don't think that we have the best solution. However, we do think that the current arrangement better meets our current requirements.

???
I am done, good luck!
i have been itching to start a forum for kicks
since 1996, maybe it's time
happy.gif

kevinng

I agree that the 1st sort key should be by date, and not by alphabetical order.

12,24,72 hrs is not that helpful because the whole listing would come out, and then you have to do a search.

Most forums, like delphi, ezboard, etc.. are sorted by time. It makes more sense since people don't want to read posts that were from last year.

Also, forums sorted in alphabetical order s prone to manipulation. If I want my post to be on top all the time, I just prefix it with a number, or 'A'... which is what some people are doing, even though their topics do not need these prefixes.

We think the forum is great... but we are just suggesting ways to improve it. Hope you will be open to the idea.

miracle14

I suggest the newest thread or post reply should appear on top and the oldest ones will keep going down.

As some threads appear on top may have been seen or left untouched are taking up the space for more newest ones.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Miracle14,

I've moved all the discussion about the arrangements of threads and posts here. You may like to refer to the earlier messages. Thanks.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

ahmei

hi, i find Singapore Brides very informative.

Just one suggestion, show up the latest messages. Sometimes some of the threads have been dormant for so long that i don't know if i should reply to them because not sure if anyone will reply back. haha...

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ahmei,

Thank you for your suggestion. The latest messages are shown by clicking on the last 12/24/72 hours link respectively available on top of the navigation bar.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

i_bless_u

Hi chin leng

I cant access the thread 'A meeting place for all brides'..all the months of 2005 thread did not show up? Is it under maintenance?

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi I Bless U,

Apologies for the problem. The file was corrupted and it has since been fixed. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Happy Lunar New Year!
happy.gif

Regards,
Chin Leng.

L

latest

Dear CL,
do u think can arrange e Topics on discussion forum by its latest date entry, coz sometimes quite tedious when doing my previous post checking. Den using e last 12,24,72hrs might not b able to hlp.

L

latest

CL,
or may can use diff colour to indicate latest date?possible??

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Latest,

Would appreciate if you can elaborate more on your request. As even if the topics are arranged by latest date entry and the forum being very active, it is likely that the thread will be pushed downwards quickly by other active topics.

Similarly, it is not likely possible to use colours to indicate latest date as there are many messages within an instance of time. The board may become too confusing as there are too many colours.

However, ff you would like to check if there are responses to your messages, you can do so by enabling the e-mail notification function in your profile.

Just "tick" the checkbox next to "Replies to my posts" option and an e-mail will be sent to you when there are new postings in the threads you participated.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

gin

Hi CL,
Now alot of ppl are making use of puntuation to make their thread first..its kinda irritating.. :S
Especially '$$$Epidural Topic'....Anyway if lets say I dun usually surf 'Motherhood and Pregnancy', anyway to 'close' the folder unless I wish to read it? Else need to scroll all the way down..very long...

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Gin,

We are aware of the situation and we apologise for the inconvenience caused. All the threads in "Motherhood, Pregnancies and Babies" section will be moved to a new and independent forum soon. In the new forum, we'll have more and better categorisation. Please bear with us for the time being while we are preparing for the migration and set-up.

We are terribly sorry about the long overdue migration and the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

priviledged

Chin Leng, speaking of the Motherhood, Pregnancies and Babies, the files are very frequently disappearing. Any idea who steals them? For eg, right now, there seem to be just a few threads left. The rest are blank or just plain missing.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Priviledged,

Don't worry, the files are not stolen. It is just that the data file is corrupted due to the high activity and posting rate. This is also part of the reason why we need to setup a new forum so that the "Motherhood, Pregnancies and Babies" category will have dedicate independent server resources. This should fix the constant file corruption problem.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

benji69

Hi Chin Leng,

I am a new user here, but I have used many, many forums, although more IT related.

This is the first forum that I know sorts the messages by alphabetical order. So, my post in Matters of the Heart becomes hidden somewhere immediately. Now I know why people put Advice needed: xxxxx or numbers so that their post get posted upfront!

Clicking on the last 12 hours link is no use at all, cause Matters of the Heart messages are still hidden way below.

If there is some technical reason, then it cannot be helped. Otherwise, I strongly, strongly recommend displaying posts by date/time, when you click on the "Matters of the Heart" category. It is the most logical and acceptable way. This is not a complaint but a suggestion to improve the site.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Benji,

Thank you for your suggestion. We've been deliberating on the arrangment of "Matters of the Heart". We'll be providing our thoughts on the matter next week.
happy.gif

Regards,
Chin Leng.

joyousonline

Hi Chin Leng,

Personally i feel that the latest thread with posting should b on the top...and not based on alphabetical order..it makes the forumer convenient to look at what is the most updated thread..otherwise will have to search from the top to the bottom..well, just a suggestion...

laoya

I agree with joyousonline.
Sorting by last posted date with descending or ascending option is good. It's lot more complicated right now when sorted alphabetically.