Are City Gas Expensive

teddy_baby

Hi all,

Would like to check with those who are using city gas, what is the monthly average charges? Is it very expensive? What is your monthly usage and how much are you paying every month? I heard a few friends saying that is not really worth it as they are paying $12-14 monthly even thou they did not use much.

I was thinking if that the case i might as well get those cylinder gas more worth it, i can use it for 4-6 months base on my usage pattern.

Cheers
Keith

gin

Wah..your question really brings me back to reality...wah like tis I rather use cynlinder leh....I did activate the gas and do the piping already..guess I better consider that sia..

adelinekhoo

Well, cant comment at all the while i've been using the cylinder gas and somehow got brainwashed by my mum tt pipe gas is really more ex.

teddy_baby

Think is really quite X from my market survey...
Humm...think i will choose cylinder gas to cut cost...

Hope to hear more comments...

Cheers
Keith

katherine

i guess i m the only one here who is using city gas bah....we didn't want to get cylinder gas becos I am pretty paranoid about cylinder gas, hehe...and also i always feel tat cylinder gas can only goes with those whole cooker hob, those with oven underneath kind...

also, our water heater is using the city gas as well, so the heater is free...

prices wise i can't remember off hand, but tat day when we saw the bill, my husband was like, heng we got the gas heater cos electricity costs a lot...whereas gas is so much cheaper...

pinkdolphin

i'm using city gas too, as well as the gas heater provided by city gas.
hmm... personally feel that city gas is more convenient + safer compare to cylinder gas.
agreed with katherine, like she mentioned, for price wise at least the gas is cheaper than electricity as i'm using gas heater.

gin

Hi Pinkdolphin,
I am not using gas heater user, so juz the gas wise, is it cheap as compared to cynlinder?

teddy_baby

Humm... seem like question is not answer.
I'm not too sure how they compare as they are using city gas and gas heater to those using city gas and storage heater???

Kind of hard to tell who is right and wrong... Only for those using city gas to comment would be much more accurate..

Cheers
Keith

pinkdolphin

Hi gin,
if u r not using gas heater, then i think it shd be cheaper to get a cylinder gas...
as compare using city gas and cylinder gas just for cooking purpose, i would say that cylinder gas shd be more worth it.

as for my case, i chose city gas + gas heater rather than storage heater is bcos the cost of gas is much cheaper than electricity. therefore i find it is still quite worth it to use city gas.
as it is like spend a bit more $ on gas but save $ on electricity.

gin

Thanks pinkdolphin.
happy.gif

yloc

Hi All,

Was just asking my dad yesterday abt the gas pipe thing. My dad was encouraging me to use cylinder gas instead of city gas coz its really cheaper for those tat seldom cooks. I tink on the average, one will need to pay around $10-20 every mth(for those who seldom cooks, for example once a week).

Personally i tink its really cheaper to use cylinder gas but having to tink tat i need to find a suitable place to "house" it, its a headache n also eye-sore thing.

Beside tat a gas heater is using gas n storage heater is using electricity, wat r the other differences between a gas heater n a storage heater? I know tat for a storage heater, in order to have hot water for bathing, it got to b turn on at least 10 mins b4 the bath. How abt gas heater?

babystar

Hi,

i'm also using city gas coz it's more convenient coz u'll never run out of gas and save storage space BUT i think its more expensive.
happy.gif

juz wondering, probably can we install the city gas pipes but dun subscribe to the gas, is it possible?

vvbbb

hi,

baby star and all those who hv started using city gas, what's the normal charges?

is city gas the only provider of gas in SG? if not competitive, i guess the price is more ex.

if later in future, the price keep increasing, how easy will it be to switch to cyclinder gas?

cookies_gal

Hi,

As someone who cooks almost everyday, I don't pay more than $10 per month for city gas. In fact, my highest bill so far is $6.

Actually, my mum who's using cylinder gas strongly advised me to go for city gas. (She would love to use city gas, but alas, there's no city gas supply to my parents' house.) The price difference, if any, is insignificant. A cylinder costs easily over $20 (depends on your supplier) and I think they make you pay some deposit for the cylinder itself.

Some disadvantages of cylinder gas that you may wish to think about when deciding between cylinder and city gas:
- If you're staying in a flat, you'll have to give up precious storage space to house the cylinder gas. Usu it's placed directly under or in the next cabinet compartment to your stove so that the pipe does not have to run too long.
- The worst thing about cylinder gas is that you have to worry about it running out. My mum has a standby cylinder just in case the other runs out in the middle of cooking but she can afford to do that coz her kitchen is big. Also, note that the gas pressure supply is not constant for cylinder gas - it will get lower as the tank empties so you may find that your flame becoming weaker when the tank empties

Do note that cylinder gas prices also fluctuates according to the oil prices as it's manufactured from crude oil too. And it tends to behave like petrol pump prices - once they go up, they hardly come down.

gts

me oso using city gas. So far bill quite ok.
Me feel that if we dun cook often, it ok.Moreover, u save storage space.
Nowaday, floor area is very ex.

joyousonline

hi goh,
so roughly how much is your city gas bill monthly?? me also thinking between cylinder gas and city gas..personally i like city gas coz it is convenient...but MIL suggests getting cylinder type..huh..i dun like the idea of having extra space for the cylinder gas...hubby even says will change for me the cylinder..as he is worried about the cost.

hello88

Hi,

my friend had been using citygas for the past 5 years and recently converted to cylinder as her new resale flat doesnt have citygas. According to her (she's a stayhome mum who cooks every day)...it much cheaper than using citygas.

therat

so... does it mean if cook often (like daily cooking) , best to use cylinder type.

if seldom cook .. like cook only @ weekend. City gas is better.

Am I right.

I never use city gas. I don't know how it do the checking. Is it base on the whole flat usage then average out. Or there is a meter to record ur usage.

slowwalker

Hi Adeline,
there's a meter just outside the maindoor Or service yard. Charges is base on Individual household usage.

therat

oic.. thks slowwalker..
but why cylinder type is cheap than City gas type.

is it all new flat must city gas type?

hello88

Hi adeline,

it really depends on which u prefer. Another collegue also felt that City gas is more expensive as both he and his wife works and seldom cook but they like it because of its convennient. So its quite difficult for layman like us to compare. I'll put it as more for convenient sake.

bungy_jumper

Actually i dun find much price difference. My mum is using cylinder gas and a tank last about 2-3 months base on her usage. Quite a few times in the middle of cooking the tank empties. So my parents standby a potable steamboat stove.

In my house i am using citygas and i cook about 2 times a week. My most expensive gas bill to date is about $3

stevy

piping is free. but its copper pipes. I heard copper is not safe. Anyone has comments abt this?

ALso, city gas has all the ugly piping running to my kitchen... and the gas heater must be install in kitchen... very ugly...

I am trying to change the copper to steel... dun know if it will cost me additional or not...

blurbaby

Hi,

What is the different between City gas? How to apply for that? Other than City gas what other alternatives is there? i seldom cook or even don't cook at all!

How to check if City gas is available at my area? How bout the gas heater? can i still use storage type? as i quite like the storage type as compared to the water heater! Water heater do not really produce very hot waters.... cos if really need to wash off dirt from clothes/cloth will need them....

starmed

hi ahblur
u can apply for city gas when u go get your key to your new flat...
happy.gif
where's your area? If it's new, sure got city gas one..just that u'll need to apply for it n do the piping.

for storage heater..those big water heater..they use electricity... think what u meant is the instant water heater... btw..if u apply for city gas..u'll have a free gas water heater installed for ya...
happy.gif

I dun have a gas water heater..used the electric storage kind.. think it's 30L.. used citygas..cook often... bill wise..it's still ok... find city gas it's more convenient compared to cylinder ones.. dun have to worry cook half way gas run out..:p

blurbaby

starstar,
i thinking of having citygas.... but if they will be giving the free gas water heater? then i also not sure how i can use it? as i intend to get a storage tank!

Headache now! not sure if i don't want the heater can they refund some money or deduct some money? think they won't government normally don't do that!

starmed

ahblur
if not wrong, the gas heater works rather well.. heats up water as good as the electric ones.. the only 'problem' is that u'll need to turn on the gas eater like u on your stove... some people r not used to the idea..thus prefer to opt for electric storage ones... basically for the gas one..the water in the tank will just keep heated on until u switch off the gas..else the water will just keep boiling...

for electric ones, there's a themostat that regulates the temp of water in the tank.. thus the water dun go overheated... there's pros n cons having the gas type n electric type...depends on your preference n how comfy u are...

regards to your question on whether they will deduct $$ if u dun take the gas heater...I can't rem... sometime back liao.. if correct, they didn't deduct... I didn't take up the free gas heater offer. Using a storage electric kind...

blurbaby

starstar,
don't mind me asking lots questions? what brand did u used? Ariston?

Was it good? Able to produce really hot water? How long do u need to heat up before use?

Sorry for my long-winded questions!

starmed

ahblur
it's ok.. no worries..
happy.gif
used Perla..it's the same company as Ariston..basically the specs is the same as the ariston..used antoehr name to market that's all..it's slightly cheaper..
happy.gif
heating up of water depnds on the weather also..if it's rainy the whole day, tap water usu is colder,thus slightly longer time to heat up else usu it's abt 10mins.. think slightly less than that.. yup..it's able to produce hot water..
happy.gif

blurbaby

starstar,
sorry for so many questions as i am new in these areas! as i just got my lovenest!

prob after i start my reno then go round looking for storage heater!

Forum people recommend Asia Excel at IMM? Did u buy things from there before?

starmed

ahblur
it's ok..
happy.gif
so where u'll be staying?

nope never go there bef to buy...went to hoe kee n sim siang choon..
happy.gif

starmed

ahblur
haha..same!! Me also staying in JW!!
happy.gif
stayed here bef marriage n after..shifted to my own place for a year liao...:p which blk u staying?

venusian

hi ahblur,

my lovenest is in JW 654C and i bought from AsiaExcel before also.
happy.gif

Their range is not that many but i felt those they offered from the range are practical eg dish washing basin... I've been to other bigger stores but i find the stainless steel not that good even though other bigger ones offer many designs...

blurbaby

venusian,
are u saying that Asia Excel do have something which catch ur eyes? Ya... i also walk by those bigger store... nothing seems to catch my eyes too!

venusian

AhBlur,

I got the sink from this brand call "Franke". I find that it suits my needs. As for the taps and mirrors all those, I'm mot really into fancy designs so Asia Excel's range is good enough for me...

I've been to Hoe Kee and i find that their designs for taps are a lot! But my bathroom dun need such designer "style" yet...hehe maybe when i change house then change something nicer? Keke.

natasha15

Hi, I am planning to use city gas for my new home, but i am wary about using gas heater. My contractor was saying that gas heater has a tendency to overheat water unlike storage heater which regulates the temp of the water. Is this true ?

Anyone using free gas heater from City gas ? Any side effects or good pts to say abt it ?

I am also worried because the water is heated by gas, would it be dangerous ? especially when it's kept switched on unknowingly. Wat abt safety for kids ?

how long does it take to heat the water when u r using the gas heater and electric storage heater (not the instant one) ?

blurbaby

Venusian,
Hee... actually i quite like the sink toilet basin which asia excel offer... did not catch any of them at Ho Kee...

Most likely will be getting from them plus the guy at Asia Excel are willing to give discount even though it's a little bit!

VL,
u can read from the post earlier... It should be quite safe to use the gas heater... but for my own preference, i would like to get a storage heater! i thinking heating up would take about 5-10mins...