Anyone using Substance Interior Design

equation

Oops

Thanks for Vingirl posting. At least, people like me who is sitting on the fence can safely crossed out Substance. In fact, when my husband met Calvin in the shop. He look sincere we almost wanted to sign up. Luckily my sweet hubby hold back, after reading the forum I think I will leave him out. BETTER NOT TRIED THEN SORRY. Especially when cannot afford any delay due to our ROM. To all those who has tried Substance, my heart goes out to you. O not sure if this link helped...http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/sct/page.aspx?pageid=4515 as a female companion of us who managed to get compensation from unethical company through this channel. It was in the newspaper a few month ago.

pinky_girl

I've engaged substance as my ID. Some how do agreed that they are quite slow in certain process, i always though that mine is special case due to certain issues. But seem like that is their working attitude. In any case, my reno is not in process and i'm now keeping my fingers cross that everything will be done nicely.

valen79

Hi Easterngirl: Thank you so much for the link. I might need it. You are very lucky indeed, you did not sign up with them, save you all the trouble.

We've given them a lot of chances and seems like they've taken us for granted.

Substance way of work, professionalism & expertism has given me uncountless problem, stress & sleepless night!!! Hope to end this nightmare soon...

equation

O hi sister

During my weekend ID hunt, heard from other ID firm, "SUBSTANCE IS HAVING CASHFLOW PROBLEM. THT Y THE SUBCONTRACTOR ALWAYS DELAY THEIR RENOVATION WORK." Not sure if it is true?

vingirl

You are welcum eastergirl. We are all sharing. Just dun want any more ppl to kanna cheated by their so-called sincere faces...

I think whether or not they are having cash flow prob, it is best to to engage their services.

equation

Hi Henn

Btw hve u completed your flat? Do u think u can open the house for viewing? As it seem like actual proof will be better than thousand word. Please PM me......

valen79

Hi easterngirl: Yup my house finally completed. I've pm u my address, feel free to comment.

Hi Vingirl: How is ur house now? hv substance finally rectified ur problem?

Btw is it a common practise for contractor not to clean the house once they are done with renovating the house? They just left all the things in the middle of the house?

vingirl

Thks Henn for yr concern. My house all done though workmanship not too gd. They agreed to redo my platform bed only after I said I'm going to report to CASE & also the last payment not yet pay.

pinky_girl

Hi Vingirl

Do you have any pix to share your house reno? I'm now also having some problem with me. I'll find their design suck.

equation

Hi Ms Blur

.....sigh... seem like u r very blur huh. after all these complaint. u still sign up with them. didn't they draw up a proposal prior to carrying the job. very interesting leh....Only uneducated contractor do verbal design plan. Perhaps SUBSTANCE engage uncle to work for them.

o I finally PM-valen 79, I visited her place urghhhh poor workmanship & messy. TO THOSE WHO HAVE READ THIS FORUM, BETTER THINK TWICE BEFORE SIGNING UP WITH THEM. YOU MIGHT LIVE TO REGRET... LIKE THE REST.

vingirl

Hi ms_blur, pls leave down yr email address. I will try to take photos when I got time. Busy these few days with kids down with fever.

valen79

Hi Vingirl, Well at least they've settle ur problem. mine still got a lot of problem they have yet to settle. imagine i've been living in the house for 2 weeks in common room, becoz of the problem they created, i can't even turn on the air con in mbr.

Other big problem is the kitchen flooring, for some reason the water can't flow to the hole. oo not to forget the painter who supposed to do touch up, didn't even turn up as promised on sunday. and they did not even bothered to inform us.

Thanks god i've not paid them in full, if not i think, they will just ignore all my complaint. If by this week they still haven't settle my problem, i think i've to go to case to report them liao. my patient has reached the limit.

May I take a look at ur house as well? my email is at [email protected]. Thanks

valen79

Hi Eastern girl, thank u for dropping us to our place on Saturday despite the messiness in my house. Appreciate ur honest comment. So now u know u r very lucky u didnt sign up wif them
happy.gif

valen79

Hi Ms Blur, you better make sure that you do a close monitoring on your house. Based on my experience, even we monitored very closely (my hubby will checked on the house once in every 3 days), you will find a lot of unpleasant surprises.

gosh...how come substance become like tat??
it used to be quite ok ah...
didnt have much prob w my ID though
his name is not mentioned here at all...
but seriously speaking i do find some of
their contractors timing quite bad.
think is b cos some of their works are sub out
then they unable to control the sub-con.
wat to do...lucky for me...so far still ok..
no big problems at all...my ID manage to h/0
hse in time for my ROM....

gosh...how come substance become like tat??
it used to be quite ok ah...
didnt have much prob w my ID though
his name is not mentioned here at all...
but seriously speaking i do find some of
their contractors timing quite bad.
think is b cos some of their works are sub out
then they unable to control the sub-con.
wat to do...lucky for me...so far still ok..
no big problems at all...my ID manage to h/0
hse in time for my ROM....

pinky_girl

Hi All

Thanks for your advise. Anyway for my case, we managed to sort out with the boss. And do agreed that, they sub out all the stuffs, therefore they can't really control the contractors. My big headache now is my kitchen cabinets as the contractor just simply don't take instructions and hv to keep removing the bottom kitchen cabinet to rectify the prob. Sianz..

Vingirl, can email me the pix of your house? I've pm you my email add. Thanks.

vingirl

Hi All,

Have been receiving a lots of mails requesting to see the defects. I also blur already, not sure who already replied & who haven't. So, rather than sending 1 by 1. Here's the defects.

735034.jpg
That pc of flat black laminate on the floor is to cover up the cracks on the tiles

735035.jpg
The laminate is not long enuff to cover up the whole feature so they use black silicon to cover which is why it is slanting.

735036.jpg
This pic not so clear. Actually wanted to show they did not touch up nicely the switch area using white silicon. Claim that it is the best they can do.

735037.jpg
The only thing without problem - TV console

735038.jpg
Sorry, my girls are sleeping so only managed to take a side view. Note that this platform was done 2 times. I ask them to redo cos the 1st time is with lots of chip-off on the floor laminate. The 2nd time round, I check the laminate pc by pc before they can use. After they have finished, I checked the platform pc by pc too. FYI, they are willing to do bcos I threaten to go to CASE & also I have not made the full payment.

So, think twice if you want to engage their services.

aliali

Hi, we are planning to engage substance for our house too...now after reading this thread i also dont know still want them anot. Coz we have been looking for a few and its quite tiring to discuss again n again what we want with different ID. My hubby said he is conformtable with the ID J*son coz as we discussed we came up with lots of good idea. Any comments from u guys?

valen79

Hi Alicia,

It's better for you guys to be careful. Firstly when we are in the middle of discussion n signing of the contract, everything also smooth. But once the reno started, problems occured one after another.

I almost have no place to stay because of the delay in handing over my house. Then, there is a hiccups here and there...I really regretted signing up wif them.

aliali

Hi Henn and Vingirl thanks for the advise. We are not gonna sign with him. Wasted our 4 hrs effort to discuss with him, he said will give us back quotation next week but no news from him ever since. We were really interested to sign coz he sounded very sincere during our discussions.

happi_bride

aiyoo.... i was their customer last year, and my reno took 7 mths to complete (initially ID says 2 mths)! delays here n there, and too many complaints until i dunno where to start. all cant make it- from the ID, the plumber, the electrician, etc all cannot make it!

Except the carpentor was good cos i knew him before and specailly requested for him.

Some of these problems cant be rectified at all! like eg. doing my switch just above the stove! how can the switch be just above the stove when u got to do frying/cooking. all these things are oversight ~ which an ID should know, not till for me to discover (of coz by the time i discover was too late, cos cupboard was already mounted).

When aircon guy comes for installation, and my ID promised to come, he did not and was late for 4 hrs, from the agreed time at 9am to 1pm then come, and ended up my aircon trunking was not the right way, the ID just said not his issue.

Anyway, its all endless troubles and nightmares with this company. Some small errors can still disguise, cos its small and unseen, but this aircon thing is a big REGRET and as a result of their unprofressionalism and untrustworthiness (said can attend but did not come and did not answer/return my phone calls at all!!!!!)

I lost confidence with them and I had to over see everything, i got to be there to tell and teach the electrican where i want my switches, plumber where i want my basins cos they get mixed instructions (the plumber said he had instructions about underlay my basin, but i said i wanted overlay to my ID!!!!)

Just one word to describe them - TOR HUEY! Vomit blood! If you still have a choice, please find someone else!

But the carpenter I had was veri good. i heard that the carpenter stopped working with them, cos of many problems too! if anyone want recomm for carpenter, i can provide. but do note he is a carpentor not an ID lor (u need to know what you want for carpentry).

there used to be an old thread for this ID, but got deleted already....*maybe got something to hide*

PS: heard that one ID name starts with E, maybe was Eason Lim or duno what.. I think was one of the worst, one forummer in JW showed me her house and she had lotsssssz problems.. (I see if i can find her website).

pinky_girl

Hihi

Me too was their customer. As like what fanny_jo mentioned, they really took ages to finish the reno. Mine was a premium flat with only minor reno and they also took like 6 mths to get it done. Anyway i moved in with the condition that minor touch up still need to be done.

Cos i really can't wait for them to finish up liao and i also find their IDs there not professional at all. Always make excuses and often end up as we owner got to monitor and over see everything.

The carpenter that they got for me was also suck, very rough workmanship. Can you imagine my kitchen cabinet was removed 3 times cos the ID just simply did not communicate with the carpenter. Nothing was good about them. Design wise also not up to standard.

Find them really not professional. I told my ID i need to move in by this date but he like simply ignore what i say and also didn't bother to call and inform me if things cannot be done on time. Really super regret getting them for my reno.

Think only lucky think was that my hb was there to oversee the whole aircon installation, if not i really cannot imagine..

fallingflakes

Substance... i have nothing good to say about this company. It is more like a contractor who call themselves an ID firm. My hb and I had a really blood puking experience with them when we did our reno in 2007. Before we sign the person (e*sy) say until so good this and that, say what they are responsible blah bah blah, my foot! I ended up having to do HIS JOB. I ended up taking urgent leave many times just to go on site to liaise with the tiler, carpenter, laminate flooring contractor, plumber...etc, why? cos everytime call him oso never pick up, always procastinate, always say will reply but never reply. say will help us arrange this arrange that end up also never! So freaking piss with them!

then lagi best, last week our feature wall made of tiles CRACK at the sides!!!!! why? cos the tiler and gang used too much cement , the whole thing too thick, became heavy and over time crack!!! Contacted the e*sy but the only thing he did was to arrange for the tiler to come down. After that he MIA liao. hb had to arrange with the tiler n all. call him several times a day also no pick up. we used another number to call, he will pick up or reply the sms, then say will check n revert end up also dun have. then we found problem with our laminate skirting after we removed the feature wall. luckily we still had the hp of the laminate flooring guy, so we can contact him directly instead of having t go through that e*sy! cos, we have been trying to get hold of him, even calling substance itself looking for the boss, but same thing, never pick up calls n never return calls (they are in carhoots). Until now, i am still waiting for him to get back to me cos he said he will arrange for the wallpaper guy to come meet up with us. still no news from him but we already anticipated that. the day he said he will arrange for us, that very day we already signed with another wallpaper company to install for us. No point to wait for him cos he will NEVER call back, and we have no desire to leave our house in a mess just by sitting ard like idiots waiting for him to arrange.

j3nson

Has anyone had any experience with their ID Sxxah Lee or proj manager Exxie Lee?

We're considering a few IDs but after reading everyone's past experience, a little skeptical..

yuene

Jenson, all I can say is, engage at your own risk. One of these days I'll post up my bathroom pics to show you what happened.

pinky_girl

Hi Jenson,

I won't recommend them even though my house reno is done by them. Me super regret and really womit blood when dealing with them. Me fully agreed to what fallingflakes say that they are more like contractor rather than ID.

I really got a very unpleasant expereience dealing with them.

heartz01

they are operating under Substanze Interior Concept now...almost signed up with them..thank god i came across this thread..thank u guys for feedbacks!

heart08

Hello,

Anyone here using or used Substance Interior Design Jason?? Any comments?
My husband and i are considering him for our house renovation. Thank You