Anyone travelled alone?

jazzchoco

Hi,has anyone here travelled alone b4 or even now?How do u all go about doing it?i.e. sources of research,preparation?Or any idea how to find travel kakis/roommates?

Hi,

I'm also thinking of travelling, alone coz it's so diff to find travel kakis. Anyone can share how is it like to travel alone, esp ladies?

m_and_n

I have travelled alone before but for ladies i think it's not as advisable.

It really depends on the timing, if its not so crowded travelling period, then i even go to the country first and book hotel when i walk in. lol.. but mostly i'll send email first to make enquiries..

its easier to book a F&E package with a travel agency so you at least got the accomodation part settled.

if you wanna travel alone then don't find strangers to be roommates. its really to risky.

jazzchoco

Hi,

Yeah..It's so difficult to find kakis for travel n no other half to go with.i only been to short overseas treks where the group will pair me up with another roommate of the same gender but for tour wise,i nvr done it by myself,though i feel like i really want to cos as of yet,i couldn't find anyone who has similar travel destinations.

But even if u book the f&e package,still gotta pay extra supplement charge for single person,right?Thinking of joining trafalgar or contiki tours but there's the risk of sharing rooms with strangers of cos...

dream links n michael,ever joined these tours b4?

Anyway,anyone who plans to travel n is in need of kakis can contact me.hee...

m_and_n

jazzchoco, i've never joined such tours before because i prefer to travel f&e.. walk around the place, get a good feel of the local flair.. lol..

especially now that i'm married. if travel alone, wife will kill me. ha ha ha... but i enjoy travelling alone, talking to strangers.. ha ha.. no one to disturb me abt going here or there.. or time constraints.. but if you can find 1 good fren to go.. that will be great..

jazzchoco

That's the problem.My 1 gd fren doesn't like to travel f&e,unless with her partner.N there's a number of outdoor activities that she'll decline to join.

I guess I'm not ready to go f&e cos i dun hv much travelling experience n not sure where to start with.Okie,bit scared lah
kao_biggrin.gif
But eventually,i need to start somewhere.Else i'll be too old for certain adventures.hee...

belle98

I traveled on my own to Hokkaido this summer and it was really fun. Didnt feel that "lonely" and it was very safe. So long as u find those cities that are safe to travel for gals.

jazzchoco

hi belle,

hmm...hokkaido.great for seafood.hee..so how u went about planning ur trip n bookings?did u get the recommendations frm internet?

belle98

Hi Jazzchoco, I visited many travel forum and also other's travel blog. From there, I chose what I like and then made the booking online. it is quite easy and fun.

sweeet

i've travelled alone before, took my longest ever flight (13hrs) and went around in amsterdam for 3 days before heading over to paris to meet my friend who flew in from istanbul.

most important is to settle ur accomodation first so that you have a place to stay when you touch down, make a note of all the places u wanna head to and just basically start visiting those lor. I stayed in a B&B and my hostess was very warm and friendly to me, as were the rest of the pple i met in amsterdam. very helpful as one tends to get lost in a new environment. get one of those all round travel passes so that u can hop from train to tram to bus, greater flexibility in allowing you to visit more places that are not listed on ur itienary, plus its not too expensive.

You will probably keep walking and touring around so dont forget to eat when you need to and pls pls, bring at least 2 good pairs of shoes. i spoilt my 1st pair on my 1st day there, the 2nd pair on my 2nd day and had to scotchtape my shoes to its sole for the rest of the journey.

for those married female, is it safer to travel alone to penang. i am a bit curious and also want my me alone time and need a break away from home and kid.

ninz

some countries are very safe for travel and even women can travel alone.
and some like in Africa you can say about the issues like that. but traveling with groups usually mcuh entertaining than traveling alone.

rosemarie

I haven't but it sounds fun and adventurous, wouldn't mind trying someday.
I have so many places in my mind that I would like to visit.
Anyway, good luck with your trip and stay safe.

ferrarijohn123

I don't like to travel alone because i think there are no enjoyment if no one with you. When every i was on trip, my family with me specially my wife and we spend a lot of time with each others.
Traveling is the best way to get relief from routine activities.

dreylan

Thread still alive?
I have been to seoul, beijing n hongkong along. Was a wonderful experience. The sense of independence and freedom in knowing you can be alone is awesome. Not at all lonely. I chose mostly Asian country as its safer for me.

Nope...but was and always has been interested in going to Japan and Taiwan. But now due to busy job the chances of traveling is almost zero? plus have to convince my husband not to tag along first.

dreylan

Haha. Japan heard got radiation. Not safe to go ESP if want to have kids. Heard some horror stories. But dunno if its true.
Taiwan I heard is nice. But it's a place I wanna go too. :)
But traveling alone is only possible when free n easy. Haha. Attached is quite hard ah. When I started dating my htb, I went Korea & Beijing alone. Was terrible being apart Esp in our early days of courtship. But I book ticket Liao. Don't wanna waste my money!

Erm is it really that bad? I totally dunno about the extent of the radiation but is it ok if i go to places far away from fukushima...or wherever that leak is??? So did your husband request to tag along at that time?? :)

dreylan

Eh.. I heard its best to stay away. Cos my friend's Japanese friend advise him not to go. So... I guess, it's really bad?
Haha. My hubby is a teacher n I went in jan. so he can't take leave. So he didn't ask to tag along. But he did hint to me and ask me if I wanna skip the trip. But being the frugal me. I decided not to waste the money ah. N went ahead. But it's really a very fruitful experience. Knowing you can survive alone make u a better and more independent person.

dreylan

Hmm, seoul is really nice to travel ard in. Shopping is awesome cos of all the cheap cosmetics but I went in winter, thus clothing is not an option to buy!
Sights is really nice too. I basically travel on my own, exploring the main sights like seoul tower, palaces, tomb stones. I didn't travel out of Seoul though cos I didn't get data plan out of Seoul. transportation is quite easy too! I shop at night and did sight seeing during the day.
I enjoyed it so much, I persuaded the bf to go again in dec. haha. Thus heading to Seoul in dec again.

lemonzil

is langugage barrier an issue?

dreylan

Hmm. With the older generation yes. With the younger one. Maybe. What I did was, to get the place I want to go in in picture form or Korean words and tried my luck with younger looking pple. The subway essentially were in English. No problem getting off at the stop u want. At myeongdong where all the shopping is, the sales person mostly speaks mandarin. So no problem there too. The only issue was the freebies given to me were all in Korean. And I dunno what is what. Haha.

lemonzil

Oh.. haha ic.. thanks for the useful tips!

I was toying with the idea of a F&E trip to Korea.. but my hubby will depend on me to do up the whole itinerary. the last time i went was 15 yrs ago with tour... so getting lost in korea doesn't really sound very fun.. :D

dreylan

Haha. I don't think it's that difficult to travel in Korea nowadays due to technology. Apply our transport style to Korea. Haha. Just add in at least 5more lines.haha. If u interested, I can send u my itinerary. :) a simple one though. But has some main sights.

Korilakkuma

I try once to travel alone and it's not fun at all. I sit at cafe for almost whole day as nothing to do... It's hard to find travel kakis coz stranger...

lemonzil

Haha. I don't think it's that difficult to travel in Korea nowadays due to technology. Apply our transport style to Korea. Haha. Just add in at least 5more lines.haha. If u interested, I can send u my itinerary. :) a simple one though. But has some main sights.

thanks for sharing! hmm, have not discussed with my hubby. he's still more keen to travel to Taiwan next year since we missed it this year...