Anyone traveled to Korea with Wingo or SA Tours ?

sweetwendy

Hi anna,

I havent done my winter shopping... arhhhhh
hmm havent, maybe when we collect our ticket, we can change there... right Janis?

lsling

sweetwendy,

what are the stuffs u still lack?
perhaps i can help by zooming to the place u can get? since i already bought all the required stuffs 2weeks ago...

sweetwendy

aaa not sure too... im going to my friend hse this sunday to check what she have, can borrow from her..

are you going with us the same date?

janisuhoshi

hey wendy, hmm think we change at shenton way, thought there is a place that offer good deal, if not we change at korea airport as Carebear has recommended.

Annabella, fyi, Wingo just informed us that us can go down to pay the balance and collect flight booking info.

annabella

Hi Janis,
Thank you. I went on sat (automatically), I tot I was late to make payment, hee.

Hi ladies,
I should be changing my WON $$$ at Korea Airport.
My colleague (returned on 10 dec) have some unsatisfactory feedback abt the meals and the first 4 nights 'resort' stay. I wouldn't want to comment much over here because I think it's individual expectation.

jerlynn

Hi, I would like to find out when was ur trip confirm? 2 weeeks prior to departure or earlier? I made a booking with Wingo travel on 1st Nov & til now no news from them at all.. I understand that once hit 10pax quota we were be told e trip is confirm but if couldn't hit, any idea when will they inform us? so that I can at least make some alternative arrangement for travel.. thanks

annabella

Hi Jerlynn,
I suggest you called up and confirm yr current tour size, it could have slip off their mind due to the peak season.

Yup, I was told they will confirm the tour once it reach min. 10 person.

jerlynn

annabella,
thanks for ur reply.. each time I called up I was being told differ answer.. if I called up & enquire as a new customer a lady told me so far only 2pax booked.. when I called up twice as myself enquiring on my booking, 1st time it was 6pax.. most recently it was 4pax. There is not constant answer so I am not sure which is true. My thinking is they haven reach 10pax quota yet but my concern is if they were to tel me 1-2 weeks prior b4 departure that trip cancel is there enuf time for me to make alternative arrangement? as this is the 1st time I am going thru a tour package, hope someone can assist me.. thanks

jerlynn

btw my departure date was close to CNY period.. maybe its still early to confirm??? I wonder how this thing works...

lsling

Jerlynn,
I would suggest U send them an email with your enquiry on the confirm departure.
That's what I did with my coming ASA tour.
Its also a way to back yourself (black & white)

It works to lessen discrepency.

annabella

Hi Jerlynn,

Going to Korea?

It looks like they do not have enough booking of 10 persons to confirm the tour and you'll need to wait for another 2-3 weeks for confirmation. If agency do not have a confirm tour on your booking date, probably they would suggest you to change to a confirm tour at a nearer date.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you study the itinerary and check out the departure dates from other agencies, if Wingo do not have enough bookings towards the date, you can promptly book from another agency then. I have not much experience booking from tour agencies, but I suppose that’s the best you can do now. There’s always a risk to take, being the first few to book an unconfirmed tour.

There’s a month to CNY, hopefully more bookings will come in over the weekend. Cheers.

jerlynn

Lynn & Annabella,

Thanks for ur replies.. yup I am going to korea. I think I will just wait awhile more.. By beginning of Jan I should able to demand an answer from them right?? Kinda stress out over this confirm not confirm thing.. guess I am not suitable for tour package type..

You guys have a enjoyable trip ya.. hope to read some +ve feedbacks on korea when you back.
happy.gif

lsling

Jerlynn,
What U should do is send the staff who attended to U an email.
Enquire about the status of your tour date. Becos its an email enquiry, they would not give U an "anyhow" answer.
That's what I did with mine.

Annabella, i hope your colleague can provide feedback about the tour personally. She travelled with Wingo?
Maybe we should feedback to the Korean Tourism Board. I would like to travel to Korea free and easy the next time to experience authentic korean food and culture.

Hi jerlynn, i had the similar experience with Wingo. They said tour was confirmed, ie will go but they did not give us the final confirmation till about 10 days before the travel date. They said they were trying to negotiate with the airline to let us travel on that actual date that we booked. Fortunately, we were able to travel on the same date that we booked.

annabella

Hi Carebear,
I have feedback to Wingo when I made my final payment last saturday. Her tour guide was alright. Personally I'm alright with some of the feedbacks that she make, as for how bad/good things can be, I can only comment after my trip.

I think it's always good to do some read up abt the culture of the country you are visiting.

jerlynn

Lynn, Carebear

Thanks for your replies, actually I was able to do that BUT this morning saw newspaper advertisement.. 23rd Jan under confirm departure liao! They din even bother to call & inform me
sad.gif

jerlynn

Carebear,

You mean they confirm departure liao still will change? I really have no faith to start shopping for my winter wear lor. Cos 23rd Jan is the ONLY date I am going to go & if last min they told me otherwise I am struck! I won't change e date, would ask for refund back bah. I feel they are not very sincere, confirm departure liao shld at least call up & inform. I have to monitor the advertisement daily for updates
sad.gif

janisuhoshi

If we don't travel with high expectations, then I think should be fine. The time when I travel with Namho to Japan, the food wasn't that fantastic too. And especially it will be holiday season, restaurants would be packed and would be quite hard to make reservation at those better ones.

I already half guess that accomodation at some places will be quite bad, as it is for most package tour. At least we can still count on the last 2 days at Seoul 6 star hotel.

As long as the tour guide is reasonable, we should be quite fine I suppose ;)

Hi jerlynn, in my case with Wingo for the Korea trip, the date was a confirmed date when we booked the package. It was even stated in the newspaper that's why we booked it. Later we were told that the travel date may be 1 day earlier, but they would negotiate with the airline for the actual travel date, and that was why the delay in calling us.

Last year when i travelled to Japan with dynasty, we booked the trip with SIA. Later they say the SIA group not enough to go so we had to join the JAL group which had an extra day. They asked us to pay for the additional day at the hotel! I told them it was not right, so they waived the extra day charges. However I had to pay extra, as apparently the tax for JAL was higher than SIA!

However, overall i enjoyed the tour to Japan with Dynasty travel as their tour guide was very good and the tour leader from Singapore was also helpful and approachable.

The point is that if you travel with a tour group, it may be subjected to changes beyond your control.

sweetwendy

Janis.. so where we going to change the money?

Anyway everyone sure have different experience even in the same travel agency, good or bad depend on ourselves... when we signed for wingo, seriously I never heard wingo before so my expectation for them quite okok, dont dare to aim high and the price is reasonable... so just earn experience, at least i have been to Korea hehe..

annabella

Hi Wendy & Janis,
I'm going to change my WON $ at Korea airport. Will just bring enough US$ to korea for the tipping.

My colleague was telling me that her tour guide chose restaurant that's not so crowded for them throughout the tour. She overheard the tour guide saying something like "this restuarant not so crowded so we eat here". So she said probably the guide has a list of restaurant for them to do the arrangment. Generally korean food are not as sumptuous as what we expect.

Count down to X'mas , then to our snowy trip...
happy.gif

annabella

Hi Janice & Wendy,
My colleague advice me to get the souvenirs gifts from the Kimchi School rather than from Jeju. It's cheaper by almost 40%. Helping out my colleagues to get more from Korea. Hopefully it won’t overload my luggage :p

annabella

Hi gals,
Count down 3 days to our trip... Heavy snow in Korea, it's going to be very cold.
happy.gif

Just brought my travel insurance. Remember to get yrs too...

See you....

janisuhoshi

Hi gers,

We (Sweetwendy, annabella and I) had just returned from Korea. Actually I find it rather enjoyable...not that bad. The weather is freaking cold (minus 5 - minus 17 degree celcius). To our disappointment, it only snow one day and it's a very light snow. T

We have a very good tour guide. She is Ms Kim or Xiao Yu from Golden Dragon Travel. She took good care of us and gave us alot of tips. As for the itinerary, she brought us to all the places as promised. We only have complaints about the time given for shopping.. certainly TOO short. Just about 2 hrs, and there were plenty of shopping opportunity!

No issues with the hotel/resort stay, although we had to sleep on those traditional korean-style sleeping mat during the first 3 days at the resorts. It was good experience, especially when the floor has heating function. Perhaps people who are expecting 5-star hotel standard would not like it. The resort room is quite similar to a typical Korean home (that's slightly bigger than a standard hotel room), you get to have a kitchen with stove and cooking/eating utensils. There will be no problem cooking your own meal, you can also do some quick grocery shopping at the minimart located in the resort.

We absolutely love the food, though it was steamboat almost every meal - the soup was really good and the serving was quite huge.. they allow you to top up food. Feel damn shiok eating steamboat in such cold weather. I also like the various side dishes like seaweed, beansprout, fish, egg, KIMCHI! etc. Somehow, the ginseng chicken soup was not as fantastic as we had expected it to be. Bibimbap is good. Seafood is rather normal, I rather have seafood in Japan.

The scenery at Jeju and Nami Island is awesome. Jeju has good rocky landscapes..Nami Island is very romantic, no wonder they filmed Winter Sonata at that place.

Seoul has really good street snack, I miss the french fries hotdog!!

Theme parks in Korea are definitely incomparable to Disney and Universal Studio. Everland is the biggest theme park in Korea, it has the feeling of Tokyo Disneyland. Due to time contraints, we only managed to take two rides. Lotte world is so much smaller, but it has really frigthening rides like the bungee ride and free fall ride.

Overall, I am pretty satisfied. They have a part-timer assisting the tour guide. The assistant was very nice and helpful, although we had some trouble communicating with her. I like the coach driver. He is really funny and stylish, always sporting a tie and a pair of cool shades!

sweetwendy

hehe agree agree... i regretted for not changing enough $$$ to spend there.. really miss the french fries hotdog hehe..

tour guide, the part-time assistant and the driver is really very friendly and funny... Overall is good, except for the weather too cold (im afraid of cold) and the time for shopping and theme park is too short, guess this happen when going with tour...

we had a great fun, great experience and knowing their culture, really miss Korea

annabella

Hi ladies,
Me too… I had a great time there too even though I fall sick... thanks to Janice and Anthony for the medicine.

Our tour guide is Ms Kim Cheng Yu. I think we were lucky to have met her, Laura and the funky bus-driver.

Yup, the day when we went to Mt Sorak, -18 deg and windy, I was freezing cold, the experience was shiok and unbearable.... Yup, I didn't had enough shopping too, there wasn't sufficient gifts for my friends and colleagues too… sigh…

How many photos you gers have brought? We brought 10pcs….

jerlynn

Hi,
Glad to see you guys enjoyed your trip. Your agency is Wingo oso right?? How many pax is your group? Hows the ski ing part? You had the whole day to ski? What time you reach korea airport & how long did they give you to change b4 departing to jeju? Was jeju fun? the hotel you stayed in jeju is it near to e Emart? Sorry hor ask so many qs hahah cos I am leaving for korea in 2 weeks time.. with wingo.. wanna get as much info as possible.. thanks in advance

annabella

Hi Jerlynn,
Yup, we are from Wingo too. Our group size is 20. No, we went for ski after dinner, think we started at 8pm. Yr tour guide will bring you to collect your gears, then she'll teach you the basic steps to ski and she'll leave u there. We were told to stop after 10, but there are still people ski ing after midnight. Most of us did not stay long, because it was too cold and personally I didn't enjoy alot. It took ~10sec to reach the ground, but you need 1-2 min to bring yr gears up the slope, so I stop after a few rounds. If you know rollerblading, you'll get hold of the skiing steps fast. All of us manage to get a room facing the ski ground, so it's also nice to watch people ski from yr room.

I can't rem wat time we reach the airport, but there's definitely sufficient time for you to wash up and get change. We stay in a resort (at jeju), there was a mini-mart in the resort.

We stay 2 nights in Jeju Hanwha resort, 1 night stay in Sorak Hanwha resort, 1 night stay in Phoenix Resort, 1 night at Renaissance seoul hotel and last night at Sheraton walker hill hotel. We slept in tatami bed for the first 4 nights, because the rooms with bed are taken up. However it's a good experience for us.

This is unlike some tour, where they stay in 4* hotels throughout.

jerlynn

annabella,

Oh you reach the ski resort only at night ah? But itinerary stated 1 full day of ski ing woh.. sigh 1st time going ski mah so tot if can have a full day to enjoy will be great
sad.gif

Hows e hotspring experience? was it fun? So you all only had 2hrs to shop at Dongdaemun, Myeondong, Sinchon Fashion Street? Is there anything to buy?

Did ur tour guide show any angry face or make upset remarks if nobody brought any from Ginseng Showroom & Amethyst Factory?

So the jeju resort mini mart oso same as e Emart? cheap? you all got buy their seaweeds?

Are the hotels we going rundown? I am not expecting 4-5 stars standard but just curious to know.

Thanks for replying me

Hey, glad to hear that you guys enjoyed your trip! It really depends on the local tour agency at the other end! Luckily you did not get the hard sell type of tour guide and insistent photographer! For me, I am done with travelling with tour group. I will travel free n easy in future even if there is a communication barrier.

annabella

Hi Jerllyn,

No. we reach there at 4plus (if I remember correctly), but the ski ground was closed for maintenance, so we took an hour rest, before we proceed for dinner.

Because I was sick on that day, so I didn't go for hotspring
sad.gif
, but the rest of the tour members enjoyed it alot.

Yup, shopping time is ~2hrs, everywhere I go, I brought something. The only shopping trip I had missed is Sinchon Fashion street, because I was very sick on that day that I rested at a nearby coffeehouse.

I didn't notice how my tour guide reacted, I was busy getting the Ginseng and Crystal for my family.

I'm not sure abt the pricing at Emart, we brought tidbits only. I didn't buy seaweed.

Definitely not, the hotels (last 2 nights) are rated 5*, 4-5* by Singapore standard. The resort stay is like our chalet, but it's a good experience to sleep on the hard ground.

annabella

Hi Carebear,
It seems like you have a very bad experience at Korea. Actually I had one bad experience at Thailand too. But I think I will still travel with tour to country with communication barrier, it's so helpless when people do not understand what you say and your hand gesture.

jerlynn

Yo! I am back from my korea trip last night (with wingo) so thought of coming in & share my experience too.

We don't have a local guide travelling with us, group size 20pax. Reached seoul on 24th Jan, spent some time searching for their local guide-Alex. Instead of going Jeju on the same day (as stated in our itinerary) we went on Day 5 & 6 (find this arrangement better)

Weather was extremely cold, snowing 1st 3 days during our stay. Traffic was bad maybe becos CNY?? Going from 1 place to another can easily took few hrs. 1st night we checked in hotel 1am+!!! Accommodation wise ok lah, still within my expectation. 4N (2N in Jeju) was spent in resort style, something like an apt with 2 bedrooms (can choose either sleep on the floor or the bed) with a living room area, cooking area & a toilet. Another 2N was spent in Walkerhill hotel (VERY NICE!!)

Foodwise so so, we had steamboat almost everyday, though its differ kind of steamboat lah. Anyway we did managed to tried all the food stated in e itinerary.

Our shopping was towards the end of the trip. Day 7 & 8 maybe becos CNY period so many shops closed bah. Was given 3 hrs at Dongaemun & 1.5hrs at Myeongdong. I think my whole group nobody purchased anything from Ginseng showroom & Amethyst factory but tour guide ok leh, no ugly remarks nor angry face.

There was a lady photographer who followed us the 1st 5days. She was very helpful, a very nice lady lor. Brought a few photos from her, each 5000won. She not pushy must die die buy all the photo de.

Overall had a nice experience in Korea, nothing to complain lor, maybe only e foodwise can be better, tats all. We did covered all the places stated in our itinerary
happy.gif
Hope others travelling with Wingo will have an unforgetable trip too...

ps: Xchange rate in Korea airport pretty much the same as SG. Slight differ only. when we depart SG rate was 875. In korea airport its 888

janisuhoshi

Hey annabelle, we bought 5 pix if I remember correctly..

Yes! It's sure a fun trip, though there's some down.. like falling sick, cold weather, short shopping time...etc...

Hey Jerlyn,

WOW you guys got to have 3hrs at Dongdaemun, we only get 1.5hrs i think... shopping like mad rush...

janisuhoshi

Hi Jerlyn,

I guess its quite impossible to ski the whole day... sure exhausted... @_@ I only managed to ski like 2-3hrs and I cannot take it liao...the equipment is heavy...

sylvia00

Hi i m just back 22APR from Korea. I booked mine from Genting Holiday? Manage to see some cherry blossom. so happy..... Price that i booked is so cheap.... and include me with day pass at Everland and all hotels 5 - 6 stars. Loved the services given by the tour guide..... And so much shopping to do there..... Kekeke.....

travelcraze

Hi Sylvia00, I've booked a trip to Korea from Genting Holiday, departing on 14 Nov. Can you tell me abt their quality of accomodation/food? This is 1st time I booked thru them, so a bit anxious... Who's your tour guide then? Anyone can share experience with Genting Hol with me? Thanks a lot!!

shimaro

Wingo Travel - Korea 21 Jul $748 + $265 Taxes = $1013 only per pax..come and join....

cos need another 5 pax to be a confirm tour

ybur

As i go with tour group, not much time for shopping...and clothing are expensive, i personally feel buy in spore better...now is selling winter wear which is not suitable for spore climate....jeju is a nice place with beautiful scenary....no shopping....i like the food there, there is fish, chicken steamboat, ginseng chicken and most meals are bbq pork....we also have sashimi feast near east sea which cost ard SGD$55 per pax recommended by tour guide....good for those who like to raw salmon, fish....very fresh....this is additional we need to pay our own as it is not included in tour package.....