Anyone sprain their back before??

ninku10

Milo, you should choose 2-3 of the exercises you mentioned. You can choose a compound exercise like shoulder or arnold press and then finish with lateral raise.The compound exercise will target all 3 head of your shoulder more or less and then isolate the weak area with lateral raise with DB or cables. My workout nowsaday only last 30mins with the HIT programe i adopt. I feel more energised than before. Give it a try. Remember, with HIT, You go heavy for the few sets for each muscle and give it all you got (with correct form and poundage) and then go home and rest 4-7 days before the next workout.

Hi Blur, your husband sounds like he had injured the muscle around the shoulder joint or the nerve could be trap.
I will give you some link whcih is of great help for shoulder rehab.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/shoulder_savers_part_i

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/shoulder_the_load

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/cracking_the_rotator_cuff_conundrum

These articles really go in depth on the rotator cuff and ways to stay injury free. I would advise your husband to stay off with overhead presses from now since the laod on the joint is quite substantial.

I am by no means a fitness guru. Just giving my 2 cents worth and i like to see people excerising correctly.

bobby
thanks for the links that i can surf.. however he had been advised by his doctor to stay off the exercises including the chin up or push ups or whatever since his shoulder injuries was diagnosed to be very serious. More than 8 years already and he seldom exercises except swim to improve his fitness level.

andee

hi sorry to ride on this thread!!
speaking of backpain, i've been having this lower back (around the waist there) pain for like 3 months or so...

i thought i sprained it while moving house 3 months ago and went for a massage to relief it but right up till now, i cannot bend my head downwards without feeling a very sharp tight pain shooting right from the lower back. When i am running or cross training, it hurts like hell sometimes.

Even after sitting for long or sleeping and getting up, i have to bend slightly forward cos it hurts. I haven't seen a doctor on this because ive been traveling alot and am planning to see one next week. Is normal GP ok?

I wonder if this is normal? could it just be a sprain that hasn't recovered?

red_garnet

i think you should go to a doctor for a check. your symptoms sound like what my bf has and he has a slipped disc. all the shooting pain (down the leg and stuff) and the pain not going away after 3 mths.

i suppose you can go to a GP. he/she might refer you to the orthopedics dept in a hospital after listening to what you say. do ask for an MRI scan too. it shows a lot more about the spine than an X-ray can and it can tell you lots of stuff about your condition.

don't try anything funny with the back, esp with shooting pain.

miloice

Might not be a slip disc if it is no pain down to the legs. Andee's injury sounds similar to mine. 3 months! That's a long time to wait.

Better see a GP.

christie79

milo,

not to scare you but i had a lower backache for almost a year! Since 2007 june to be precise, as i was moving things (big boxes round the hse). I did suddenly sneezed when i was pushing the heavy boxes..it started from there..it was a bad sprain.

Thereafter it hurts like hell constantly, esp whenever i got off from bed in the mornings.

Went to doc and with therapy and stretching exercises, it only went away last year
happy.gif
I had to make it a point to sit up straight on chairs and also do the back strengthening exercises the therapist taught.

Doc also told that there might be underlaying reasons of pain too..like kidney stones or slip disc..so better go consult a doc ..

andee

besides the usual GPs, anyone tried chiropractic? i heard there's one at novena /united square and my bf suggests i try the chiropractic instead of the normal gp first.

ninku10

I tried Chiropractic before. No good for me.Only acute relief. I had a slipped disc problem. With slipped disk, i feel it is better to strenghten one's core muscle and do some stretching. I also bought an inversion table to 'deload' my spine.

skylar

Milo,

I would suggest Chiropractical sessions. That really helps for my back when I too had damn sharp pains..

Bobby,

For Chiropractic, I think it would be good if you actually go and follow it thru, if you only go for a couple of sessions that it will only relief ur pain for a while.. might not be good.

alcifertoh

That time we had experience with Chriopractor at some spa before. His charges for initial appointment is about $200 which includes the x-ray. Subsequent visits cost about $80 per session lasting about an hour.

You would have to go through a course about 2 sessions a week over the duration of roughly 3 to 4 months.

skylar

Doll,

The one I went to is Chiropractic First, by far, I would say they are quite the best. I've used Dr Bryan & Dr Anthony, both at the Forum branch, would prefer Bryan personally but I tink he relocate to Bt Timah. Dr Luke McCabe from IP is also good.

Bascially before they start off anything with u.. they will hv to do a full scan xtray for you, that cost about $300-$400 then they will brief you on where ur problems lies and what remedies will aids it.

Initial appt is about $200-$300 then subsequent visits are about $80-$100 but for mine, it will usually last for half an hour, they will do wonders to adjusting your bones so that ur nerves will not be hurt.

Like what HBH said, they will decide how many courses u need and then they will decide accordingly. For most pple, they will stop chiro as it is quite expensive but in the long run, it really helps. They will also even out your weight equally on both feet. (it is only thru them that I found out that everyone weighs differently on both feets)

sgbabydoll

Thanks, Skylar and HBH.

Are you still continuing with chiropractic care or already stopped after 3-4 months of treatment?

alcifertoh

No prob. You might want to visit a chiropractor first. Initial assessments generally are free. Some cards and spas always have such promo.

skylar

HBH!! Mine not free wor!! kns!! maybe coz mine not spa ba...

Doll,
still continuing but not so regularly. Now it's more when I need a quick bone adjustment then I go ..

miloice

wah.... not cheap.
I will wait for another few weeks and see. $200 per session, can provide me with some months of protein supplements already.

alcifertoh

Skylar's toes need adjustment... too much licking.

Yeah milo, it's quite a considerable amount. Meantime most of the Chirapractors are foreigners... As far as I seen.

wjchiang

Tamara Wong (Tamara chiropractic) at orchard 67351618

i can't remember the name of the building, it's the one with california fitness, on the side facing orchard cineleisure. Not that ex, think it's $100 for first consultation and $80/session thereafter

Emiliachan

hi guys, nothing really related to the heart.

I had flu 3 weeks back. And since then, had a bad back, energy level was so low that I couldn't get thr 1/2 a normal workout. Even my normal swimming was so tiring. Then, I went bowling 2 weeks back during the weekend thinking I had rested enough. Just 3 games, (my usual night is at least 6 games). By the time, I was going home, my back started to hurt sharply.

Till now, I can only swim and walk on the threadmill. Doc said 2 weeks back that it should be okie in a couple of days. But its still pain everytime I sit or get up. Bending my neck downwards in a seated position stretches my back and trig the sharp pain consistently. Seeing the doc only seem to be asking me to take more medication and painkillers only.

I'm getting very restless. I can feel my energy level increasing back to normal finally but the back is still hurting. Anyone with similar injuries? How long did it take to recover? I have gotten a belt to support the back. When can I finally get well enough to start bodybuilding again?

\
Maybe its time to see new doctor, try my doctor
A/Prof *************** at Gleneagles Medical Centre