Anyone Migrating to Australia?

apple1304

hi gals,

thanks for the advice. really helps
happy.gif

sunnygal/mspiggy> me will apply for CPA (from ICPAS) once i reach my 3 yrs target next May. I know CPA australia recognised ICPAS. So i will just hang on till then.... *cross fingers*

bikki> i love Perth!!! I have been there in May for just a short trip and I totally fell in love with that place and that's why decide to go apply for PR.
happy.gif

bikki

hi mspiggy
What line are you and your husband in? My advise is to come first and then look for a job, because the employers are more willing to employ or interview you this way.

The good thing about staying in Perth is that it's so near to S'pore. Also, you can get S'pore-type groceries here easily.

Should you need to know more, feel free to ask. I am more than happy to be of help.

bikki

hi mspiggy
Sorry...replying you again. Just read your earlier post, and found out that you are in the accounting line.

You should be able to get a job here, but may have to start from a "humble beginning" again. As mentioned, it's easier to come first and then apply for a job.

bikki

hi Apple Lee
Perth is a nice place. The weather is not as cold as that of Melbourne and Sydney. Flying back to S'pore is only a short distance away, about 4 over hours. That's why my wife has gone back twice since she came here last year, and is going back again in October! As it's so near, it's so easy for family and friends to visit us and vice versa.

Life here is simple. You will like it if you enjoy doing things like going to the beach, having a bbq at home or in the park. The people here are also very friendly.

mspiggy

Hey Freesia,
I'll be going on 4 Nov and staying for 2 weeks.

Hi Apple,
Good luck for your application. Should not be a problem with your CPA title then
happy.gif

Hello bikki,
My hubby and I used to study in Curtin, fall in love with Perth since then. When we came back, we decided to need to get a PR.
Yes, I do understand that it's easier if I moved over first then start looking for jobs.... but there's risks involved. What if both of us can't find any jobs? What's our biggest worry.... but I guess if by Yr 2006 I still find job, I will have to take the risk.

bikki

hi mspiggy
I am also from Curtin.
Why don't one of you come first and try get a job, and subsequently settle down? When my family migrated then, my mum and us(my brother and I) came first, while my dad worked in S'pore. Once you come here, you should be able to find a job as long as you are not fussy and be patient.
I, myself for instance went over to Malaysia after working here for 9 years, and decided to come again. I got a job within a couple of months. Of course, i could not be choosy. However, i am doing well in my career now.
Networking is also important here. Once you know people, jobs will be recommended and word will be put out.

apple1304

bikki> ya i totally fallen in place with Perth during my short stay there. I intend to go back again in Jan next yr (since air fare is expected to drop further
happy.gif
So how long have u been in Perth? Did u also go over to Perth first before finding a job? How's the people there? (I understand we touch racism issue before but I am still worried. My friend's house got broken into thrice so far and one of my friend got robbed by a robber with an AXE (yes an AXE) in melbourne )

Mspiggy> ya i am really trying to pray hard and look forward to May (to start the application hehe) cos I really cannot stand my current job. *really crossing my fingers and toes hard*

hey hopefully we all get meet up in AU one day
happy.gif

mspiggy

Hey bikki,
Thanks for all the advice!
I'm in Curtin from '98 to end of '99. What abt you?

Hope we can meet up someday when I go back... I was in Perth last Sept, hopefully to go again soon
happy.gif

bikki

hi Apple Lee
House break-in: Depends on what area you are staying and on your luck.
Racisim: Not really much. My wife who graduated in Brisbane thinks it is more prevalent there. So far, personally i don't really encounter any racism problems in my 28 years here.
Hope this information gives you some peace of mind.

hi mspiggy
i graduated in 96. Yup, we can meet up one day when you come back.
Just to let you know that once you crossed the expiry date for your PR, you could be blacklisted for future application.

mspiggy

Hi bikki,
yap....understand that hence we really have to make the decision soon. just applied a few jobs thru the Hays and Michael Page website. Let's see how it goes
happy.gif

apple1304

bikki> thanks.. actually i heard a lot of versions.. some even said perth has the worst racism.. anyway as what some pple say, love the place not the people
happy.gif

mspiggy> really really hope you get a job soon!!! at least gives me some hope that moving to AU and working in AU is not a far-fetched dream
happy.gif

cadburina

actually perth has worst cases of racism compared with the other states. perhaps its bec the other cities are more used to other races. being so cosmopolitan as they are. more chinese students studying in Mel and Syd anyways

mspiggy

Hello Apple,
I hope so too
happy.gif

Hi Cadaryne,
I've stayed in Perth for 2 years... so far none of such cases happened to me. there's actually quite a big Chinese community in Perth too. I think Bikki will know more than me since he there for soooo many years now
happy.gif

bikki

Hi
I supppose in every country there will be some forms of racism. So far being here, i am not affected by racism. In fact the Singaporean and Malaysian community is quite large here, and widespread. In Curtin uni itself, there are already so many S'porean students!
happy.gif

jessica

Hi mspiggy,

Which part of Aust are u migrating to?

Did u got your PR while doing your studies there?

I hope to migrate in 2 years time
216451.gif

tulipblue

hi all..

me and FH are also planning to emigrate to Australia too..just done our medical checkup so hopefully can get our PR within end of this year or early next year! *fingers cross*

probably will go after our customary is done end of next year...we plan to go back to Melbourne coz we so love the place and thats where we studied too..anyone here plan to go to Melbourne?
216554.gif

tulipblue

hi Fuji Apple,

it will be best if we can find jobs there..yeah i know its not easy to get jobs in Melbourne but i still keep in contact with some of the people back in the university (i was doing my internship there at that time) so i will ask around...we are planning to go over in March for a short holiday and also to check out the situation there as well...just pray and hope then
216650.gif

how about u? u are already there or planning to go there?

fuji_apple

Hi Tulipblue,

I would really love to go but everything is still in its planning stage.

For us,it's a very big step to take.

Wishing u all the best in Mel
happy.gif

bikki

Hi Ms Piggy
It's been awhile since i logged on. So any news about your job finding?
All the best to you!

cake

Hi Tulipblue,

i plan to go Melbourne too...just recieved positive skills assessment, so now waiting to get married so that we can send in our main application.

If all goes well, will go mel about same timing as you ...been checking the job market, lots of jobs advertised, but i think it will be challanging to get a job without Australian experience...

freesia

Hi Tulipblue

May I know when you start to apply for PR application? I 've applied but yet to receive any notification for the medical checkup....

septembre

Hihi bikki

Can I join in the conversation? I graduated from Curtin too. My hubby from UWA. And we are moving to perth end of next year. I've been so looking forward to going back to life in Perth. But as the day comes nearer, abit afraid dunno what can we do there. What were you doing when you first started?

septembre

Hihi bikki

Can I join in the conversation? I graduated from Curtin too. My hubby from UWA. And we are moving to perth end of next year. I've been so looking forward to going back to life in Perth. But as the day comes nearer, abit afraid dunno what can we do there. What were you doing when you first started?

bikki

Hi gingerale
I migrated very young as a kid. Then i was in primary school. My first job was at the Perth Mint.
Don't worry. As time goes, your network will widen. See, you have already made friends from this forum! Hope to see you and your hubby here next year.

septembre

Oh ok. Most of my friends are still in Perth too actually. They grew up there like you. I heard so many stories of them not being able to get a job when they graduate etc. It's funny they wanna come to Singapore and I wanna go there. ;D

nnchander

HiHI,
Haven't visited this thread in awhile... and am pleasantly surprised to see that there are so many who are keen to migrate to Australia.

Both hubby and I also intend to move over by end of next year... with baby in tow now. Otherwise, we won't be able to clock our two years too.

Our worry now is about finding a job too. Looking at online jobs ... at the same time, we also know that it might be better to go over and apply -- since employers will want to meet and interview prospective employees... so, in a dilemma now.

Giving up everything here for something so unsure is such a gamble... *sigh* Can anyone please advise on how soon one is able to find a job and settle down when over in aus?

Thanx! Any advice is appreciated!

Cheers,
@ndrea

bikki

Hi Andrea
Telling you about the timeframe in getting a job is difficult. However if you are not choosy and is willing to start all over again, not bothering about the initial status and salary, you will have less problem getting a job. Also, in this way you will have less stress. Wishing you and your family all the best in your coming over. Feel free to come here to share your concern so we can give you some support.

gingerale, i think the grass is always greener on the other side, and that is why your friends want to go to S'pore!!
happy.gif

gracious

Hi,
anyone knows of the education system in Melbourne? My sister n family is in the process of getting her PR and is planning to send her children to melbourne in Year 2006. One in Sec 1 and the other in Pr.4. Can anyone recommend some good private and public schools in victoria?

jessica

Hi Bikki,

Thanks for the info.

Hope to meet up with u and share your experience one of these days if i happen to be going Perth for holiday.

septembre

Hey Valueair is offering $315 to Perth. Actually planning a trip to downunder end of tis yr or early nxt yr. So tempting to grab this offer. But I think the Tiger airways was saying they offering Perth flight as well huh though I don't see anything yet. Think they will fight back with a lower cost? Hopefully!

septembre

Andrea, which part of Oz are you migrating to? WOw you are going over with your baby in tow? I wanna try for a baby so much but have to put on hold cos my our migrating plan. My hubby was saying it is better to settle there first. If not if we eat grass, our child poor thing will eat grass with us. Sometimes I wish i can just drop everything here now and move...now.

melbz

Hey Gracious,

The more prominent private schools in Victoria are Wesley College, Caulfield Grammer, Scotch College, Presbyterian Ladies College, Methodist Ladies College. I know the 1st 3 colleges have more than 1 campus. Geelong Grammer is really famous... Prince Charles studied there.

As for public schools, you need to live in that area in other to go to that college. There are heaps... but the better ones are Melbourne High, Glen Waverley Secondary College. Not sure which area your sis intends to move to...

Private schools charge about the same as what an overseas student would pay to go to uni here. Very expensive. Not sure how much public costs tho.

Jessica,
I think the highest marginal personal income tax rate is about 47.5%? But the total effective rate would work out to be about 30+% for MOST people. Of course really depends on how much your earn.

nnchander

HI Bikki and Gingerale,
Thanx for your replies. Hubby and I keep psyching ourselves not to be choosy and accept whatever comes our way. However, the point of concern is that we have bb with us... so whatever it is, we still have to find something that earns enough to at least support our basic needs.

We've also now put plans for a second baby on hold coz we plan to move next year. Hopefully we'll find something in Perth and settle there. We were there for about 5 years and love the place. Still have lots of friends there... hopefully my sister will move over to from Sydney...

Thanx again for the support... really need advice now...

Cheers,
@ndrea

septembre

Oh Andrea you moving to Perth too. We'll have more friends. Yar I still have friends over there too. I'm the only one that came back actually. And I was there for about 5 years too .When I came back I felt I have culture shock. As in everything need to queue and human jam everywhere. I still don't like it. Which industry are you guys from?

fern

Hi gals,
I have been in Brisbane for 2 months and am still looking for a job. There seems to be a lot of jobs going around, but I don't know if there are also a lot of applicants vying for the same job. I think it also depends on the industry u are in. My hubby is in the medical industry, and got a job pretty fast when he got back.

My advice to those who wish to come is to come here and then look for jobs, since you will most likely need to go for interviews. There may also require something called the Tax File Number which u need to get when u get here for employment purposes. Banking details also are needed. That's my experience anyway, and I hope it helps.

Sometimes I feel quite lonely cos i haven't got many friends here, and only have hubby's family. Not working also makes me bored at home.

The pace here is really slow for working people though, and there are many places to go for weekend trips or holidays.

But generally, I find that the things here like basic neccesities are more expensive- food, toilet paper, toothpaste...blah blah blah...

so if you are coming, do bring lots of those w you.

Cars remain cheap, but fuel costs are rising, average is about AUD$1.00/litre.

Property prices have also risen in the last 2years, although they have sort of stabilised now.

Will write more when I can think of some.
Meanwhile, if anyone is coming my way (Brisbane), pls feel free to drop me a mail.

nnchander

HI Gingerale,
Yeah... we are planning to move to Perth. Love the place!! But practically speaking, we'll move to wherever there's a job for us... still we are banking on Perth
happy.gif

When did you come back to Singapore? Like you, when we returned in 2000, we were miserable... it was a culture shock! Don't like the crowds and the culture here anymore...

I'm in the education field, and my husband is marketing and management trained, but currently works as an administrator for the medical sector. We hope to stay in a similar field when we are there. Actually, the plan is for him to find a full-time job (of course) and I hope to work part-time, because of Junior. Hopefully that can sustain us... *sigh*

When were you in Curtin? And your hubby? Both my hubby and I were from UWA too! Mebbe we know your hubby?? We are also planning to move by end of next year... perhaps we can look out for each other
happy.gif

Well, hope to share more notes with you!!

cheers,
@ndrea

bellagio

hello ladies

I am also thinking of the possiblity of migrating to Australia in a couple of years...my hb is from kitchen background...I heard that some years back, the demand for chefs there is rather high...wonder if its the same for now?

We have not started applying for anything yet as we are thinking whether would it be easier to find a job over there first or like fern, stay there and at the same time look for job?

Any advise pls?
happy.gif

mspiggy

hello bikki,
sorry for such late reply.... so far no news yet
sad.gif

i'll be going to melb for hol this week... very excited. another good news! Valuair started flying to Perth already.... tickets are very reasonable. For those in Perth... u can come visit more often
happy.gif

fern

Hi Bellagio,
I mentioned coming over to stay first then apply for jobs, but I forgot to add that I got my visa since my hubby is Australian, and he acts as my sponsor. I'm sorry if my information was misleading.

Really dun know about demands for chefs though, but I do see advertisements in the papers for Food&Beverage jobs.

As for yourself, which industry or jobs are you looking for? What visa category do you and hubby plan to apply under?

I agree that the working pace here is more relaxed, but I also feel that the place is dead after 7pm? I don't really get to go shopping or for makan sessions at night like many Singaporeans do.
Basically after 7pm is wasting in front of the computer or television.

What i don't really miss is the human queues and jams everywhere in Singapore.

I do miss the convenience of public transport in Singapore, though not squeezing with hundred of other people on the buses and trains.

Hmm, i guess you win some and you lose some...

bellagio

Hi fern,

Thanks for the information..

Me and hubby have been trying to look for jobs online via internet...even thou we do get some response, but its tough for them to promise us of anything as we are still here...

I am in the hospitality industry but in the adminstrative dept..I guess for us, we will try to apply under the skilled migration scheme..from wat I read on their booklets, it seems that my hb's profession is for skilled workers...

Looks like most of us are looking forward to a slower working pace..
happy.gif
Guess we are tired of the hectic life in Singapore..hehe...I think I can live a life of sitting in front of a TV after work as I love rotting on the sofa and channel surfing! :p