Anyone Migrating to Australia?

emerjo

Okie...checked with my agent liow. The Internal Check is usually conducted for applicants in India, China, Indonesia, etc. where they have previous experiences of some forge cases. However, as AU immigration is getting stricter, they may check on Singaporean as well... we never know. Looks like got to pre-amp my boss who has signed the reference letter for me. I white-lied that I'm applying for a Master degree. hehe. How?...should I informed her 1st?

Viv, u sounded like a cinderella. So poor thing. **hugz hugz pat pat**. Why are these ppl so fierce? Becoz they r racist? I heard there r more of such cases in Sydney than other parts
of AU. So far my trips to Melbourne, Brisbane & Perth are OK.

Blue, sorry I forget to CONGRATULATE you of your forecoming wedding. Life must have been full of excitments since last Dec yeah? And you are right. The AU needs proofs to confirm our current employment and that's why they wanna see the tax docs. They asked we give lor.

syl123

Hi Foggy & Blue,

So, do you think that to be on the safe side, I should provide the most current payslip, as well as CPF Statement??? For payslips, just need to provide for current job(2.5 years) or also last job (5 years)?

For the tax docs, do you provide the Notice of Assessment from IRAS for the last year of assessment? Maybe I should include it as well since both of you were asked...high chance that they will ask for it!

barbapapa

hi Sylvia,

I think your latest payslip, the pay slip from ur previous job and CPF statement is good enough. but if u kiasu.....just give it to them. then you have to pay more to certify the documents....

syl123

Hi Foggy & Blue,

When you refer to tax statements, do you mean the notice of assessment from IRAS or do you mean the IR8A?

barbapapa

HI Sylvia,

Either one will do. The main idea is to show proof that you are earning and paying taxes while working for the particular company.

vvbbb

Hi guys,

What's this thing with IRAS and payslip? Is it something that we have to furnish with the appilcation? Or wait for them to ask for it?

Blue,
Well, one day in office I was running a query from the bank's in-house system and I forgot to specify certain field so the whole (crappy)system hang. The system administrator found out about it, came to my area and shouted so loud to the whole dept... so rude... I have never encountered such treatment when I was in SG (see, i keep comparing it to SG!).
But so funny, there's another colleague who shouted "I HATE THIS BANK!" 2-3 times a day hahaha... you'll never heear that kinda thing here too!! :p
I guess, they don't really care abt what you think and oz pp generally accepts everybody with their own quirkiness. While in SG, if you dress funny, whole office will prob gossip abt you. Trust me, my ex-boss in SG will gossip abt my colleague's dressing when my colleague went to pantry.

Got shouted in the bus for trying to squeeze my way to the exit door too. The stupid thing was, I was too shocked that i got scolded, that i just kept quiet. Maybe i shd've said smthg.. but sometimes just felt lazy to pick a fight.. Asian culture lah, avoid unnecessary conflict... esp with unreasonable pp.

Also met a young gal in a bus, she went around drawing on pp's face (with a marker) and guess who she targeted? Asian gals! Lucky she got thrown off by the bus driver, otherwise i'll kick her ass!

Seriously, if i think abt all these things, my gut just shrank.. maybe a coward at heart hehehe.. But I'm sure after living for a while there, we'll get used to this kinda thing. Just focus on the objective why we made the decision to go there in the 1st place.

vvbbb

mngo,
I don't think i'll get RVV cos don't intend to go OZ, even after my visa expired next year. And i wont' be qualified to extent my visa coz need to stay in OZ 2 out of 5 yrs.

So, my hubby will apply on his own, and in the application he'll just mention that i'm holiding the visa. Hopefully, i'll get an extension also.
That's what an officer in OZ consulate here advised me to do.

A little confused abt this, whether my hubby and I should apply now at the same time... but i'm still a PR, so it's funny if i were to apply for it when it hasn't expired

Or maybe wait until my visa expired and re-apply together. But that will mean i need to do all over again (qualification assessment, EILTS, etc)

What do you guys think i shd do...?

I did put a query to DIMA to ask abt it again.

barbapapa

hi Viv,

That is some experience you got there!

Yeah probably we have to toughen up a little when we are there. Even my mum's friend told me that you have to argue back in certain occasions just to show that asians cannot be bullied.

mngo

Viv
wow wow.... really in dilemma. mmmm i am not sure if after we "cancel" our PR, are we allowed to re apply again?

syl123

Hi viv,

I think that there are ways for you to get extension. I have heard of someone who has been PR for about 10 years,but have not fulfilled the 2 years thinggy......you can try to speak with a migration agent about it? Can PM me and I can give you the contact.....

vvbbb

Thanks Sylvia,

I did ask the Singapore Oz consulate and put a query to oz immigration.

I think, worst case, if my hubby got the PR and mine can't be extended, I just apply for spouse visa using my husband PR. I think it can be done. Just like if i'm pregnant and have a child next year, we'll just write to extend the PR to the child (and in my case, spouse).

Btw, how much time need to prepare for EILTS? My hubby thinking of doing it end of Nov, shd be enough time to prepare?

I'm doing his application coz i like to fill up form hehehee...

barbapapa

Hi Viv,

Better apply asap or when the slot is available. bcos the test is quite popular. You dun need to use a lot of time to prepare the test. I believe the test is really a piece of cake for singaporeans.

by end nov is a reasonable time to accomplish it.

syl123

Hi viv,

From what I know about applying visa for child:
Scenario 1: if baby is born while application still in process, can write in with baby BC to include baby
Scenario 2: If baby born after visa granted, ...need to go thru the whole application process for baby (and pay the full application fee) OR the other option is to deliver baby in Aus!

Was checking it out cos wondering whether to have no.2 first before submitting application....
but thot better not wait already cos worried that the rules change and my occupation later kena removed from MODL.

For IELTS: I registered 2 weeks ago for Nov 4...for end nov, I think better register soon : )

mngo

hi viv
sylvia is right. i was in scenario1.

By the way, how come my fren can get a 10year Visa and i only get 5 year ah?

syl123

Hi Gals....how's everyone? Thread's been quiet lately.

Need advice....do you think it is possible to do the medical checkup ahead? ie. before we are being asked to do it? Are the tests to be done standard? When you go to doctors do you just tell them that you want to do the medical checkup for migration purpose or you have to tell them the specific tests you want to do? Are the test results sent directly by doctor to the CO or can we send it ourselves?

you see.....I've got health screening budget at work that I have to utilise by year-end. So, thought can make use of it to "kill 2 birds with one stone"

Thanks!!!

barbapapa

hi Slyvia,

there are a panel of doctors which the DIMA approves. so you need to look through the list. so far SATA(Jurong east) and (ChaiChee) are in the list.

The whole body check up costs $130 with courier charge at $20. There will be a HIV testing costs at $9 plus (That means they will be drawing blood from you. Gasp!)....actually not painful lar.....

vvbbb

hi sylvia,

If i'm not wrong, DIMA will send you a letter asking you to do the check up. At SATA (i think Sata is cheapest from the list), the doctor will ask for the letter before they let you do the check-up.

The doctor will send the results to DIMA, I suspect they'll attached the letter when they send the results so DIMA will know the reference number.

So if you do the test now, the doctor has no reference letter to send to. And DIMA will prob be confused as to what stage you are and where to file the check-up results with.

But, you may want to check with SATA if it is possible. It could save you some money
happy.gif

syl123

Thanks Blue and Viv....looks like better to wait until being asked for...otherwise may have to go through it twice (ouch!!!) So, since the results are sent directly to DIMA, would we have a copy of the test results also?

To : Eileen and Foggy's hubby:
All the best for your IELTS tomorrow! Hope to hear from you all the experience!

Have a good weekend everyone!!!

merci

sylvia, tks for yr well wishings...
i am getting a little nervous... didnt reali did much preparation....

7ll

we had mail out all our 2nd batch of documents(S'pore police clearence report, IELTS result & etc) on 25-Oct, but only received my hub Aust police clearence report yesterday, so today email to the case official & see how...keep my fingers & toes close, hope everything fine & good luck to all of you too

vvbbb

Hi guys,

We went down British Council to register for IELTS and we got slot for 28Nov. Anybody going for 28Nov? All the best to you all taking the exams.

merci

sylvia
i feel that i didnt do well in the listening and reading components
sad.gif
in fact i missed out 1 section on the listening test as i was distracted by a question i missed out earlier... so my advice is to keep going even if u missed out a question... dont panic.... sigh... if i didnt get band 5 or 6 for all components i might need to resit...

emerjo

So great that this forum is active again! There aren't many dedicated sites whereby Singaporeans can 'talk' about migration, esp. the BIG MOVE to Australia. Any one knows of any others?

Hi Sylvia,
I'll suggest that you wait for DIMA to request for it. I understand that you do not need to wait for the medical result. The clinic will send it on your behalf with your reference number. Just keep the receipt of the medical checkup & send it along with the other needed documents. Well, unless the medical checkup *touch wood* didn't go as it should be. The doctor will invite you in for 'coffee'.

In fact, CNCC & IELTS are more critical as compared to the medical checkup. DIMA needs the oiginal; you have to wait 2 wks to collect the CNCC result and expect alot more time for IELTS (subjective to next available exam date & then result collection 2 weeks after). So better to clear the IELTS first, even before you are requested for one. Good luck for your exam this Sat.

Sata is not that cheap nowsaday. I got a package deal with Orchard Medical Centre at only $340nett for 2 adults, and 2 children. The package includes whole body checkup for 4 of us, 2 HIV blood test, 2 x-ray, and the courier service. The price breakdown as follows:
adult($105x2) + child($35x2) + courier$60.

Eileen, what application are you referring to? There are various stages. You only need the IELTS result at the very last phrase of the migration applictaion.

merci

foggy
tks for yr reply. u mentioned that u only requires IELTS results at the very last phrase? But when u 1st submit your application, u'll need to state how many pts u are claiming for english language right? if we dont hv IELTS results, how can we knw how many points to claim?

barbapapa

Hi Everybody,

Back from my wedding! i just renewed my passport so i need to inform the immigration on the change in circumstances. now me slowly looking for a job.

eileen, if you are claiming for english language, take your 'o' level as it is administered by Cambridge. However there are cases where the applicant has already taken IELTs as they took it before they went to uni. i got indonesian friends who already took IELTS bcos they are required in order to get into the univerisity. so when they applied for PR, they don;t have to retake and they use it as a basis to gain points.

emerjo

Eileen,
Blue is right about the IELTS. As for my case, I only submitted it recently.

Blue,
Welcome back, and how's the wedding?
You are now looking for a job in Australia while you are in Singapore?

vvbbb

Blue,
Congrats on your wedding
happy.gif

Hope you get a job soon (Oz or SG)

Sylvia,
you're going to see my hubby in the test. Is yours also Bukit Merah one?

Eileen,
Don't worry abt it, i'm sure it will turn out alright
happy.gif

Sylvia, Eileen, are you in the stage of preparing docs to be sent over?

Foggy,
Let us know if there are other forum on SG-OZ migration ya
happy.gif

barbapapa

hi Foggy

Thanks!

Me already have a job in singapore. but i am still looking for an opportunity in australia . i got a friend who got a job while still in his native country before moving over to Australia. They conducted interview over the phone b4 he moved there. so i am hoping that would be the case.

syl123

Foggy,
Thanks for the advice. I guess I will wait until they request for it. Thanks for the contact for orchard medical center. I would have assumed that SATA is the cheapest, but in this competitive world, it is not always true yah!!!

Eileen,
Yah...dun worry, it will be ok!!! How about the Oral, did it go ok? Since you are ready with your submission, why dun u submit it first and submit the IELTS results later? It will save some time. For me, I am still waiting for my skills assessment which I think will come about the same time as my IELTS results.

Viv,
Yah, going to the Bukit Merah one. Taking the test with my hubby too!!! Send my best wishes to your hubby! My son so cute....he says " mommy you are adult and working already, why must still go for test???" He doesn't want us to go for the test cos we have to leave him with his grandma on a sat! : (

Yup! I am only in preparation stage...waiting for Skills assessment and IELTS...hope to be able to submit the application by end of the year. Read on the other forums (british one) that it now takes about 9 weeks to get an acknowledgement!

Blue,
All the best in your job search....(you probably have mentioned this before) which line are u in? and where in Aus are u intending to go to?
I hope to get a job in Aus before moving over too cos with a little one...will be tougher and more stressful if we dun have an income when we are over there. I guess it also easier to make decisions like where to live, which school to send him to etc.

Everyone,
Some times we have second thoughts about the move. To leave everything here and start afresh is really scary. We are worried about how our son is going to adapt to the new environment where he is a minority and maybe will get bullied in school???

Anyway, we are taking it one step at a time and get our visa first.

Can you guys share your thoughts about what makes you want to leave what you have here and move over there? If not comfortable leaving your personal thoughts on the forum, can send me email at [email protected].

Have a good day everyone!

barbapapa

slyvia,

having second thought about the move is natural for you especially since you have a child with you. but don't worry, i have know of others who have settled happily over there and i feel that we have no problems in assimiliating into their society. Just leave the singaporean traits behind man!

my job invovles a lot of numbers and financial modelling. Me going to find difficulty in looking for job there man. i have already posted my resume online with a job database.

i'm moving to good old boring perth!
ha ha

vvbbb

Blue,
wow you're into financial modelling, sounds interesting. I'm in banking- product control, encountered some of the financial model before. Complicated, man.

All the best with the job search, Blue. Which do you use? Seek.com?

Syl,
It's good to keep a list why you want to move, so when you're in doubt then you can refer to the list.

Don't worry abt your kid, he'd prob adjust easier than the parents hehehe...

Btw, assuming you're a chinese, how would you try to teach your kid to speak Chinese? Will you speak Mandarin at home? Will they forget how to speak their mother tongue?

As for me, I'm happy and comfortable in SG but i'm doing this for my (future) children and their future. I want them to have a different upbringing than what me n hubby had. I hope they would learn to be creative, outspoken and confident. Those are the characters that I admire from western education system.

As for my hubby, he likes the laidback lifestyle there when he studied there for 2 yrs before. Also, he could get to buy a car there haha! (I banned him from buying one in SG)

Also, OZ has good weather
-jogging there is much better (I did City2Surf run-16km jogging, very nice)
-BBQ: can do bbq during daytime coz weather is cool.
And there is the beach and the sea, though the sun is worse down there. Half an hour of hanging my clothes in the backyard, i could feel the stinging feeling on my back/nape.

For a family, there are so many outdoor things you could bring your children too: picnic, zoo, go to mountain, ski, swim in beach, have brunch by the beach.

I think Arts is more flourishing there too, so if my children grew up to do artistic job, i think they'd develop more there.

Well, all these are just reasons that I keep telling myself whenever I have doubts and fear abt ME getting bullied there.
But since I have so many friends (all married and have kids there now), i hope it'll be better this time.

merci

sylvia
my oral went pretty well... and i think i did ok for my writing... just that my listening i got distracted and hence missed out one section... and i feel that the reading is pretty tough too
sad.gif
i just hope that i get a band 6 for all components in order to claim for 20 points... if not then i hv to do some investments (bonus points) in order to reach 120 points.

merci

viv, yes i am in the very initial stage of application... i hv got both my hubby and my skills assessed... now all my docs certified... now just waiting for my IELTS results and my hubby military discharge cert... as he hv misplaced his...

syl123

Hi All,

How is everyone? I just did my IELTS last weekend and the speaking test this morning. Not really sure how I did.....thot some of the questions in the reading and listening part quite tricky!!! Hope can get the vocational rating!!!

Just to check: We just need a 2 year validity for our passports right? Mine expires in Jul 2009. Do you think it is ok or I should go and get it renewed now to avoid any complications later?

vvbbb

Sylvia,
I'm sure you'll do well for your EILTS, my husband said it was ok though need to concentrate on the listening part.
When will the results be out?

Tomorrow i'll be making certified true copies of the docs required. I called Comm Of Oath near my office to ask for the price. It's $5/ per signature. Is it expensive? Not sure if it is supposed to be $5/documents hehehe...

I changed my passport when after I got the visa pasted on it. So what I was advised to do was:
1. Make certified copy of your old passport (esp on the visa page)
2. Bring your new passport and the certified copy of your passport to the HighCom.
They'll reprint the visa and paste it on the new passport.

Not too sure if the procedures changed now though. You may want to check with High Com here.

barbapapa

hi vvv,

i just got my passport changed to the new one and i have not got the visa on the passport yet. we are filling in a form called ," change in circumstances" to notify the immigration on our new passport number. i wonder if we have to make certified copies of the old passports?

emerjo

I'm sure those who are migrating have good reasons to back the important move; especially those with good jobs, more so for those with children, and those with close-knitted relatives & friends here.

Like many others, we wanted such move for the sake of the children. Life is tough for people my age (30+) from middle-income family. We got the most taxes with that much of income which is not high enough to save alot, yet not low enough to get subsidies.

With the direction SG is driving, I'm worried about the future for my kiddos. Therefore, while we can, we want the opportunity to have 'a way out' to cushion the 'rat race' here. And who knows we might be 'trampled' with the 'growing population' on this tiny island.

Whatever reasons each of us have here, the pull factors of Australia's charm are enough to make that decision. Well let's hope that it's not a 'grass pasture is always greener on the other side' thought.

emerjo

Eileen,

They just increased 5 points from 115 to 120 early 2004.

And seems like regulations & requirements change every twice a year (min). So really dunno when is the next change again.

The morale of the story - if anyone wants to apply, just DO IT. Don't wait. Migration to AU is getting tougher.

By the way, why are you asking huh?