Anyone knows of Hainanese marriage tradition?

hapi_gal

hi ladies,

my FH is oso Hainanese. my MIL said hv to give me a chicken...alive one. Gosh! I said no nee coz i can't imagine the feathers flying aro the hse...heehee.

Very curious abt the golden ball, is it edible? How come my MIL never mention abt it? mayb i'm a cantonese, tat's y no ball for me
happy.gif

apostles

HI girl...

I see. Maybe i will check it out there as well to compare the price. Thanks ya.

Hi hapi gal, it is not edible. It is like the dimsum sesame ball but in a big version with no filling. Live chicken sounds interesting. Maybe that is how your grandma did it when she got married then?

pebsb

U mean the ball is not edible?
sad.gif
( I was so looking forward to eating it.

I called pine garden. They charge abt $10 per ball, and U usu buy 1 pair for GDL. It comes from Msia. Size abt palm size. Apparently can last for abt 1 wk (so still can see during the wedding day since GDL abt 1 wk b4 AD).

Last time I watched on tv, the purvis st uncle demo the making. he make v big one, like big beach ball size.

krazy

can!! the ball can eat one... the ball will stay inflated for about 2-3 days and then will lose the air.

jozy

hi everyone,

I saw on tvmobile on this show where the uncle made this very big ball, is that the golden ball? I forgot the chinese name of it already..

Where can we still purchase this other than Pine garden? Hubby tot of presenting to my parents...

pebsb

Ya i also want BIG BIG ball. Anyone checked out the girl's contact at laguna?

Ryes - the uncle is the purvis st uncle who has since retired
sad.gif

apostles

Hi Pebs, ya the balls very small from Pine Gardens. By the end of it, the texture of the balls would be so tough that you do not feel like eating it.

Hi ladies, my sis's had the big balls 3 yrs back by the old uncle from purvis st. So fortunate that she got it then.

I got no idea about eh laguna one. I am a west person not sure at all about the east side. Any east siders can advise better.

hapi_gal

Hi blursotong,

I'm so sotong, tot the ball can b eaten....hee.
I've don't hv d chance to ask my hainanese bf y is it necessary to hv the ball coz he's out of town. Can anybody tell me pls?
kao_clap.gif

apostles

Hi hapi gal,

It can be eaten (that is if you want to eat it after being on display for many days and the texture of the ball is going to be so tough). It depends if you mother-in-law would like you to put it in your wedding room as a blessing item for the wedding day. As for me, my mum did not insist it. Instead it is me. hehehe...

Ryes, call up Pine Garden, they do it as well.

hapi_gal

Hi Blursotong,

thks, i've got better knowledge of the ball now. i suppose it signifies "yuan yuan man man"?

pretty sure i'm not going to eat it after displaying for so many days.... my teeth is not that sharp
biggrin.gif

ariesta

Hi, i'm also a hainan nang. Haizzz... Can't really speak the dialect. Coz my family dun really converse in it. *My mom's hokkien* Hubby is pure hokkien. Everytime converse wif MIL in hokkien, she always laugh at me. Coz my hokkien is peppered wif Hainanese, and vice verse.

Btw, wat golden ball r u guys toking abt? Any other tings to take note?????

apostles

Hi ariesta. It is just a big fried dough ball that we are talking about it in Hainanese wedding.
I know we need roasted pig too but my mum is not going to request for it as we need a very blessed lady (i.e. with husband and children and grandchildren) to cut the pig into pieces. there is a method to cutting too. she finds it too troublesome so we are not having it.

apostles

Hi BenDi, my grandparents and father is from hai kou, 'shui hou' village. Which village are your grandparents from?

stupeed

wow you guys are so cool to find the prosperity ball (that's the real name)!!! My mum is lookin for it for my wedding. Im hokkien but my mom's side is hainanese and this tradition is so rare and interesting that we want to incorporate it for some festivities! So pine garden makes it?

alhana

Hi mushloom

I didn't even have the golden ball. Our was very simple..didn't even have the roast pig or anything. For GDL, only bargained abt the bride price (ang bao), si dian jin and cakes to give out to relatives.

bluebells

Mushloom,

GDL also needs a basin (supposedly for the DIL to serve water for washing face to the MIL, but I got one that's good enough to wash vegetables), and the teapot and cups (for tea ceremony), pillows / bolsters, a pair of bedside lights (tian ding), a pair of towels. All these need to be given by the bride's mum hor. As for the roast pig, if don't want, can use red packets to represent.

BTW, I am a hainanese bride that got married years back.

apostles

Hi alhana and mushloom, i also do not have roast pig. Going to be something simple too.

Hi bluebells, the woman side need to buy so many things one ah.. din't know that... did u get the balls.

apostles

Hi alhana and mushloom, i also do not have roast pig. Going to be something simple too.

Hi bluebells, the woman side need to buy so many things one ah.. din't know that... did u get the balls.

koxxic

hello gals, i'm also a hainanese though not pure.
father is hainanese and mum is hokkien. my FW is also half hainanese with a hainan father and a teochew mum.

really glad to find this thread. seems like there are quite a few traditional stuff required still for customary. Ball thingy? where to find?
as for live chicken, how to find with all the bird flu thingy now right? haha.

anyway, i can't speak the language also. really sad cos i grew up with my grandma(mum side), we speak hokkien all along and worst still, i dun even ustand hainanese.

huggiez

btw the gdl lady told me that the golden ball is meant for the AD and not GDL. she mentioned that the ball will follow us to the male side, after the tea ceremony then to our new place and place near the bed. suppose to let it deflate on its own.

so those who had the golden ball during ur wedding, can you tell me when is the golden ball supposed to be present, and wat to do with the ball?

tink in the one of the posting in this thread mentioned that pine garden do make these kind of balls.

koxxic

OK..after hearing so many traditional custom for hainanese, can we come up with a summary as to what is needed to be done on AD, what things are required, what are the steps to follow?

krazy

mushloom:
the golden ball is supposed to be placed at the altar one.

my mum also mentioned need fresh pin1 lang2.

pebsb

mushloom - i heard a different version of the golden ball. Golden ball is given in a pair by groom to bride family during GDL (3 days b4 AD). During AD, the golden balls are broken up and shared to be eaten by all.

So which version is correct?

Yes, pine garden sell those balls. Think its abt $12 each (1 small handful size).

huggiez

alamak then who is right? the boss told me tat the golden ball cannot be broken coz it symbolises yuan yuan man man leh. who got elders at home can double check? tink me will try to sound my father out on this

krazy

to my knowledge,
the golden balls are not to be broken.. must let it deflate itself. but you can eat it after it is deflated.

pebsb

i use wrong word, not 'broken' but deflate (as what kRazy said). Think after 3 days or 1 week (depend how far advance U GDL), the ball will deflat by itself. After that, can tear it and share among all to eat?

bluebells

Blur Sotong,

yes, I got the golden balls, and Mushloom was right. I had it on the AD, and it stay there until deflated. And also, my mum told me the bedside lamp was to stay alight for 3 whole days; so in the end I bought bedside lamps from Ikea, kept the box and just use the box to cover the lamps when I want to sleep loh. come to think about it, quite funny. But the lamp signifies tian(1) ding(1), so better listen loh.

One more important thing : if your younger brother / nephew who is going to open the door and let your hubby out of the car, please make sure that he is not born in the year of tiger. Was told that if the person opening the car door is born in the year of tiger, the bride will have a hard time conceiving in future, and may even remain childless. Not sure true or not, but ning(4) ke(3) xin(4) qi(2) you(1). Happened to one relative anyway, and in the end, the relative in question adopted a child.

huggiez

my side don have small kid leh. i am the youngest. then how? must be relative to open the door is it? can i get my hubby nephew to open the door for him instead?

i wanted to get the golden balls for my AD but my papa says no need to get. so i tink i will juz leave the golden ball issue aside.

apostles

HI bluebells good to have the golden balls. Very fun to have that.

THe balls are for the AD and not GDL. It has to be deflated and not broken.

And Mushloom like what Pebs said, Pine Gardens does the golden balls. I might get it from them and it lasts about one week. Do you have any guy cousins, they can also open the door for you?

buba

Hi ladies,
this thread is very interesting.
my papa is hainan and mama hokkein. my FH's papa is hainan and mama is canto. both of us cant speak a single word of hainan. but, we are very interested in carrying out a hainanese wedding. it seems so traditional, so fun.

buba

bluebells,
u mentioned that u bought lamps from ikea, can i assume that they run on electricity?
my ma bought batteries run ones for my sister but, they went flat! and her MIL says that cannot use eletrical ones. so confusing.

ribenaberry

I accompanied my frd to buy her tradition wedding stuff in a shop in Beauty World. The shop is managed by 2 uncles in their 50s or 60s. I understand that this shop has at least 30 - 40 years of history. The uncle will advise you on the items required according to your dialects. You can buy most of the items there, hence save you the headache.

If you are unsure of the traditions, maybe this shop can help you.

apostles

Hi *o*, last min i managed to find/get the uncle to do the ball for me. It is expensive and he did not do a very good job with it. Abit 'punch chek". it is $50 for a pair.

It is at the street parallel to seah street and is called Hainan Street Coffeeshop i think. it sells chicken rice. You go in and ask them for it.

The other place is pine gardens but they are smaller lor.

pebsb

blursotong -U very lucky! how did u convince uncle? Last time I asked them, they refuse to do leh.

Did the uncle teach U what to do with the ball? eg who gave the ball to who, do what with it? eat, or leave it alone etc?

lilo_stitch

blurstong, i heard there used to have one shop at seah street (around that area)doing golden ball but had closed. is he e same guy used to work at e shop?

pebs, u ask e same guy as blursotong?