Anyone knows of Hainanese marriage tradition?

huggiez

Wow so many hainanese here. Need to ask you girls stuff leh. GDL is it based on hubby dialect or based on mine? if its following mine, any idea what are some of the must-have GDL stuff for hainanese?

krazy76baby

my maternal side comes from wen chang too!! hehe
happy.gif

sorbet

It should be following the bride side right? Like the old days, where the groom buys gift for the bride's family to ask for her hand? I am just guessing....wanting to know this as well.
happy.gif

My sis's wedding, I saw some canned pig legs and alot of this hainanese white compacted powdery 'candy' wrapped in pink paper. I duno what it's call, but I know that is one of my sis's fav food.

joymmt

Hello to all the HAINAN MAI

New here, I am so surprised to see so many mai-kia here... I thought we are an extinct breed
happy.gif
I 100% pure bred so can speak passable Hainanese. Too cheem like the 95.8 news don't understand, I think because it is "Upper accent". I belong to "lower accent".

When I married, also got canned pig legs... I thought this is same for all dialects? Ya lah, we hainanese girls quite chin cai about wedding customs, so hubby got easy life.

Zoe, Twinklets and pomjitjit, agreed about the relatives in Hainanese. My father keep going back there to sponsor $$$ to build house, build road, build ancestoral temple... He only a mechanic here, and probably like the feeling of being a "cai shen ye". Keep telling him not to spend thousands of dollars but no use. He has never been to Great wall of china or any other part of China, just Hainan island. Period.

My Hainan relatives keep wanting me and my siblings to write to them or visit them. Dun want lah... not so stupid. After that, they will come to ask to ask for money... scared lor!

Greatest regret never eat the special big crispy round ball... Father said must go to Hainan island to eat. Anybody here knows the right place to go here in Singapore, please let me know. I will chiong there!

sorbet

Hi Joymmit,

You want to eat the big crispy round ball? There is a hainanese restaurant located in the basement of this 'ship' look alike building. I think it is call Union Building, not too sure. Building is along the Science Centre stretch but toward the AYE end.

We had our hainanese feast, with 4 generation clan 2 years back. Food is good. I have not seen other hainanese restaurants offering the crispy ball 'desert'.

Sorry, I am overseas, can't remember that road name or the restaurant name.

tiewster

hehehe...didnt know i got so many kampong hainam korS & maiS here.

Why canned PIG LEGS??? i just can understand why those??? why must be pig legs?? Me wife-to-be's parents oso want those from us....really buay liao kai.....

Anyone staying in Fernvale Lane area???

huggiez

tink heard from my mom that the pig leg is to prove that the girl is huang hua gui nu or something like tat. so other than pig leg and the ball thingy anything else? i heard from some fren they say we don have si dian jing but instead we have the dragon and phoenix bangles. is it true

zoeanne27

hi mushloom
so u are here too..Hee Hee..

I also dun know.. sad that the orange huge ball cannot find liao. That time i saw on TV still got ppl making.. but no more now..

joymmt

Hi Sorbet
Where are you based now? That Hainanese restaurant you mentioned was along Jurong Town Hall Road but closed down already. My father and all his Hainan "bare-lares" go there to eat once but all say food no good. So I never try although it's just 1 bus-stop away from my house.

I think the crispy thingy is call "jing-dui". Can someone confirm? Cannot eat never mind lah, at least must get the name correct, so not malu when people ask.

Hi mushloom, I don't have si dian jing or dragon/phoenix bangles when I married. Just buy some jewelleries and pack them in a nice box and go already. Aunts never comment anything... We all very chin chai one lah
happy.gif

sorbet

Hi Joymmit,

I am in Melbourne now. Ya the restaurant was along Jurong Town Hall road. There were not alot of Hainanese restaurants at that time, we thought the food was good. hee...hee...
happy.gif

huggiez

hi zoe ya lor now i confused leh coz both my parents and FMIL oso donno much abt wat to get. then hubby and i confused as to GDL is following which side coz i hainanese and he hokkien ma. but i tink i clear up liao la. his gift to my side will be based on hainanese whereas the returning of the favours will be based on hokkien

zoeanne27

Hi mushloom

I guess it is correct...GIfts to girls shd be our own dialect. Returning gifts to guys side shd be base on their dialect ( Hubby's dialect)

Yes. It is call " Jing Dui" something like this la..

sorbet

These are the few I have tried which I consider good because I have not tasted the really bad ones.
happy.gif
Hee...hee...

Not in particular order...
1) Yet Con
2) Shashilk (not exactly a hainanese restaurant :p)
3) The one in Laguna Park (don't know the name, start with Letter "M" I think)
4) The one along Jurong Town Hall Road (closed down :p)
5) One of the 2 new ones along Purvis Street, at the Beach Rd end.

I like to try some new ones....me interested to know where they are too.
happy.gif

twinklets

Hi gals,

I dunno much abt Hainanese restaurants 1. Only know Chicken rice, beef stew & western food, tat's all.
lame.gif

Hi Pomjitjit,
Your wife to be is which dialect? I do noe my mum ask more than 10 cans from my hubby lor.
The real meaning i also duno why leh.

Hi Mushroom,
I think the virgin 1 is for the Roasted Pig.
Think this applies for the cantonese too.
I also dun have those dragon & phoenix bangles.

alhana

Hi sorbet

Shashlik's food is good, but pretty expensive! Went there w hubby a couple of times, and our bill easily came up to ard $80..and we just had soup and main course..no dessert even :p The chicken and beef shashliks are really good though. tender and juicy..don't even need condiments for flavour.

I've also tried the place at Laguna..food's ok lah. Like home cooked food.

sorbet

Hi Alhana,

Ya, the food at shashilk is good but expensive. The deco is simple, looks like some russian barn right? hee...hee.... Amazingly the food is very delicious even though they look rather plain. Seems like the meat have been marinated for ages.
happy.gif

Me and my FH ordered quite a bit...:p could not resist, basically asked the Ah kong captain to serve out his recommendations. :p Greedy pigs we were....hee...hee...

Personally, I consider Hainanese food a traditional food, simple and home cooked style. Duno leh, after awhile all the hainanese restaurants food all taste the same.
happy.gif
hee...hee...

Do you remember all the hainanese food you have tried? ranging from kaya toast, chicken rice to the shashilk beef skewers. My late grandfather made very good toast, curry and pork chops. Some of our family favs are chicken rice (of course :p), herbal mutton soup and cuttlefish with chinese chives.

Anyone of your grandparents eat their breakfast toast with a generous layer of butter and sugar? When you eat kaya toast with semi-boiled egg, do you half soak your toast on both side in the bowl of semi boiled egg before indulging it? Are these the hainanese practices? anyone knows? I am just curious. :p

twinklets

Pomjitjit,
I tot the 'long feng' candles are quite a norm for all dialects? hehe my side here also have i think. I think just go to those shops tat sell wedding stuffs, they sure have 1. Red color 1, long long 1.

Sobert,
Hmm i dunno. I do noe the kopitiam thing originate from Hainanese.
If my bread is toasted, I'll soak the area which i want to eat first into the semi boiled egg.
If the bread is fresh 1, i'll tear them into small pieces & soak all inside the egg.

alhana

Hi sorbet

Yah..the decor is very simple. In fact, the place looks v dated, like it was stuck in the '70s or '80s :p Still have all the old hainanese waiters in their white coats. Yah! The food is very good altho it doesn't look that great when u see it. Just one chunk of meat. My hubby is a ketchup man..he loves his western food w ketchup..but at Shashlik, he can eat the beef on its own coz its already so tasty. In fact, condiments wld probably ruin the taste.

For the kaya toast..I wld dip it into the yolk..but I won't soak up the bread. Prefer to slurp the egg down instead :p

sorbet

Hi Twinklets,

Haa...haa.... you eat the toast the same way as I do! My FH find it weird that I eat my toast in this manner, and I still eat it this way till now.
happy.gif
I told him that's my culture and I enjoyed eating that way.
happy.gif

Hi Alhana,

Ya deco definitely passed its used by date! I read from an article that that deco is still the original since it first open, and the captain and a handful of waiters and chefs are as original as the restaurants.
happy.gif

Huh....my FH is a ketchup man too. I think Shashilk changed his impression of steak now....good steak/meat should be tasty on it's own, definitely not with condiment. Know of any good hainanese restaurants that serve good stuffs as shashilk?

Anyone remember the famous hainanese dry beef noodle..... fat think rice noodle with thick sauce on beef ball and raw beef slice, not forgetting the pink shrimp sauce, peanut and salted veg garnish? This dish is almost extinct now. yummy.......I have not had that for ages....... I remember there is an old hainanese couple making this very good beef noodle at the hawker centre along high street, opp funan centre. We used to order in hainanese and got alot of extra ingredients....hee...hee... not bad yah?
happy.gif
The hawker centre is long gone now........the old hainanese couple would be retired by now.

epb2be

Hi! I'm new here... and I'm pure Hainanese too...
sad.gif
Sad thing is my mom not so chin chye about the wedding preps leh... So hafta find exactly what the traditions are... *argh*

tanel

me me me! I thought this thread was dead
happy.gif

Me also pure hainanese! Girl, lets keep this thread going lei!
happy.gif

lilo_stitch

hi el,
me not hainanese
lame.gif
, is my FH is hainanese. so wan to join more abt it. me can understand a bit but speak not good. i'm sure u can speak well as u are pure. i got friend dunno tot they are so sad ....

tanel

well then welcome to the hainanese clan! While i am a pure 100% hainanese, i cant speak well and my granny always make fun of the way i speak. Me marrying a non-hainanese...teochew...

wah not bad hor u, not hainanese also can understand ah??? ur hubby must haf trained u well :p

hilsywong

Hi gals! I'm so excited I come across this thread! I'm also pure hainanese and proud to be one too! I dont really know anyone else who's hainanese except for my relatives, so i'm really surprise to 'meet' u guys here. I can speak a basic hainanese cos my grandma lives with us, so have been conversing with her in hainanese from young.
It's so nice to read thru the postings... cos i can relate to so many things mentioned here....
happy.gif

pebsb

Hi! May I join?
I'm hainanese (50%) and marrying 100% hainanese - Both our parents happy we marrying within the 'clan' hah.
We also at loss on custom, but seems like dont have any leh. So also good for us, less hassle hah

lilo_stitch

hi EL,
listen them talk slow will understand wat they are lor .. me speak not that perfect la ..... but believe keep try on day will speak as well as him hee..e.. sometime we oso try to speak w each other. as i find a know another lanagues not harm.

i heard that hainanese need roast pig n e big golden ball for wedding

as u 100% hainanese any sercet recipes to cook hainanese chicken rice :p

hilsywong

Wow girl,
Bet your in-laws love you to bits for making the effort to learn the dialect. My husband is hokkien and even though I can understand it, I find speaking it very difficult. Maybe you will inherit all your MIL's secret recipes :p.. I've noticed from a couple of your postings in the other threads that you're overseas ah? Me too leh. Planning my wedding from UK. My FH in US. Hehehe... we're in the same boat.

Hi Pebs,
Wah u marrying within the clan
happy.gif
Not common nowadays liao.... I'm first in my family to marry out of the clan..hehehe. I'm also complete lost re traditional customs, but my wedding is still ages away, so i presumed my gran will basically tell me what to do nearer to the date.

EL... u an I 'tong xiang' leh... hehehe. I thought species like me extinct liao until I come across this thread
happy.gif

lilo_stitch

hi misty,
My MIL hardly cook so no secret recipes. cool ... which part of uk are you? me is staying in manchester. do u have any msn or yahoo maybe we can chat more as we are e same boat
biggrin.gif
. when is ur AD?

apostles

Hi ladies, I am also a pure hainanese. It is very interesting to see hainanese pple comglomerate together in here. I stayed with my grandparents since young and my entire family converse in Hainanese when we gather. At times my parents speak to me in Hainanese too. I am so glad that I do speak the dialect.

pebsb

girl - i think ur right leh. i heard my auntie said Hainanese girl needs roast pig n e big golden ball for wedding so troublesome, i tot can forget abt all these stuff. i think the golden ball is impossible to find in spore liao?

Do we need things like cakes, orange squuash? anything else ah? eg leave by what time *headache*

Misty - i didnt expect to marry within, but i guess such is fate. if u hear any tradn from yr granny, share with us ok? my grandparents no longer around, and parents (both side) quite lost when it comes to custom/tradition hah

apostles

Hi Pebs, I am trying to get the ball but not sure if i can still find it.

My mum refuses to have the roast pig from the guy side too. says it is too much trouble and must have someone who is very fortunate (meaning have grandchildre, filial children and have their partners still alive) to cut the pig into pieces in a manner.

Mum says need cakes for guo da li. and refreshments in the morning too. Sweet things (tian tian mi mi) before leave the house. Other than that nothing much for that day thou.

lilo_stitch

hi pebs,
hee..ehee... me not hainanese, kapo kapo here nia as my hubby is then hainanese ... those tradtion stuff is i heard from my mum
biggrin.gif
when do u need those stuff, i have my friend to noe where to get e golden ball, only can tell u when i return back to s'pore during end jun as i dun have their contact w me, is it too late? when urs AD?

tanel

hello hainam nangs (must let go a few hainanese in the hainanese thread ma hehhee).
I 'lost' this thread; i forgot where this thread was!!!! That's why i MIA for awhile.

I was just discussing with my FH and mummy abt the golden ball. I tot the golden ball is such a rare and interesting tradition so much so that i insist on getting one for my wedding! But i read thru the thread; i tot i read somewhere that no shops in spore sell this anymore.

Girl- i also want the contact!!
happy.gif
me also not too late; my wedding next yr too hehehe

krazy

we went looking for the old man who made these balls when we were preparing for our wedding. apparently, he is retired. we spoke to him and he said he does not have a place to make the balls... need a large wok and area...

hi girl, when you come back, can u also give me the contact so that i can pass it to my sis who is planning to get married.
happy.gif

thanks!

apostles

HI krazy, yep i heard that the old man has retired. Hmm.. wonder if he can do it at our house and we provide the necessary equipment. heehhhe...:)

lilo_stitch

hi gals,
no good news so far abt e making of golden ball as my friend told me e one they noe had closed down. hope can give u gals good news soon as my in law is askin around for me
wink.gif

lilo_stitch

hi gals, manage to get who make golden ball but dun have full address. for those who stay east maybe know whereabout. e shop name call 'Kim Moh' located either at laguna park or laguna view (near marine parade). it a 2-3 storey unit shop.
hope as above infor help u gals.

apostles

Hi girl...

thank you... Do you have the exact address pls?

I have also sourced another shop that does the balls. It is called the Pine Gardens at Ang Mo Kio. They got the balls from another person. It is around $18/ball i think.

lilo_stitch

hi blursotong,
i dun have e actually add, do u noe marine parade area? laguna park or laguna view is quite near each other. will try to ask for more detail

lilo_stitch

hi blursotong, there's one some where around purivs street near bras basah but this one dunno e name. which make hanainese pastry