Anyone knows of Hainanese marriage tradition?

blueberry

Soupie,

Not bad that you still know the name, "yi bua". We sometimes forgot and call it "hai nan kuah". I think only hainaness know and love to eat. Some cake shop still sell.
Dun know if you all watch the channel 8 's Sun TV programme two weeks ago. got a programme around noon showing dialet groups' practice. The programme two weeks ago is on hainaness. Me miss the programme.

joy_apr

hi gals,

I am a hainanese too.
happy.gif
Mum's a Cantonese.. Nice to have this thread around.

Ralphine, I agreed with you that Hainanese men are handsome..cos' my dad & bro are handsome
happy.gif
happy.gif

blueberry

joy_apr,

Hainanese guys are definitely handsome and tall.
All my cousins are. But girls tend to talk loud. Me also. dun know why. Maybe that's why girls tend to be fierce. :p

blim

oh ya.. kkwai i know that TV prog.
haiz... also miss a huge chunk of it.
Don't suppose there'll be any re-run huh?

I'm actually surprised to know there's quite a few 100% hainanese in this forum. Cos I hardly know anyone who is 100%...

joy_apr

kkwai,

not all hainanese girls are fierce or talk loud... I think maybe the older generations are fiercer and talk louder..like my grandma's generation.. :p

blueberry

Hi Blim,

Dun think there will be a re-run. The programme itself seems like a re-run from some season back.
Glad to know there are a number of pure ones. Seems like hard to find.
My hubby is 50% hokkien and 50% hainanese.
So must to try to influence him to become 25% hokkien and 75% hainanese. Heehee

Hi Joy,

I guess my aunties and mum pass the genes to us.
We speak loud. Heehee...

soupie

kkwai, hehehe cos my mum's hainanese frens still give to us during their grandchildren's 1st mth or birthday.... those specially made can be quite big.. bigger than those sold outside
happy.gif

blueberry

Soupie,
They must have made themselves.
Our family dun know how to make. Always buy at the cake shop.
Always can finish the whole pack the day I bought. Granny, Mum and me finished all. :p

poohpooh24

hihi , i new there.. but i am facing a problem.. i am now in the mid of losing weight .. but my wedding is on 10/10/2004 but for mi my waist i am still triming it now is 34 but still tring to trim to at least 31 u think it can be done.. now eveydae i go to the gym u think it helps or do u guys think i go go marie france .. cos i have program there too ... my phototaking is on 1st july so wat u guys think.. hope to hear from u guys too ......

twinklets

hi everyone!!

Wow so happy to find this page, but hor, the last posting was way bk in March. Anw hackcare if I'm the last 1 posting here!!!
your_image.gif

I'm a pure Hainanese too, & proud to be 1 !
happy.gif

But like 1 of the gals mentioned that some dialects like look down on us.
My MIL is a pure Teochew, & I feel tat most Teochews like kinda haolian 1. Sometimes I can feel from her voice her dialect group is 'higher-class' than mine like tat. Sometimes really buitan leh.
your_image.gif
My hubby is half hainanese & half Teochew. But sad is he dunno any hainese but speak fluently in Teochew!!!
My father was very happy when I got myself a Hainese bf tat time. But when he learnt tat he cant speak or hear any hainanese, he sian jia buah liao.
your_image.gif

I think alot of hainanese men (think more like up to our fathers' generations)are very good cooks. Especially in making stews & western food. Dun u think so??
As for the good looking part, it is true that during the olden days, the hainanese boys are much more good looking. You can 'survey' those old ah peks bosses in those old kopitiams, whom are hainanese. They shd look good looking when they were young men last time.
your_image.gif

Think when reach my father's generation, stll not bad too.
But hor, reach till our generation, all look so so liao.
your_image.gif

I also notice, alot of our grandfathers work for the army. Why hah?? Really very curious to know more abt this hainanese history in those early days leh.
I think tat explains why Hainanese are so good in making beef stews & western food. *Yummy!!!*

Hee, really hope can see more hainanese gals coming in!!

twink|ets ~

alhana

Hi twinklets

Nice to see another Hainanese gal join the thread
happy.gif
Yeah, its been dead for quite awhile.

Yes, I agree abt the hainanese men being good cooks. My dad can cook really well. In fact, he spends more time in the kitchen than my mom :p But my mom is a good cook too lah. My dad is more adventurous in the kitchen..he will always think of new dishes to try out and use us as his guinea pigs :p

Hehe..my MIL is teochew too, like yours. when hubby and I were dating, he told me his mom told him us hainanese gals are very fierce! Not sure if she intended to warn him or what :p My hubby is cantonese-teochew mix..but he spks teochew only (like ure hubby!)..pity coz I prefer the sound of cantonese to teochew.

novgal

hi twinklets and alhana,
another hainanese girl joining the thread
biggrin.gif

but i'm a 50% "breed", mixed with hokkien.. hee
my HB hokkien-teochew mix.

so will u be accustomising to any hainanese tradition??

zoeanne27

H girls

I am also a hainanese girl joining the thread. Hee Hee.

But also half breed., mixed with Hakka..
My Hubby is Hokkien- Xin1 Hua4 mix.

By the way, what is hainanese custom??
Anyone heard of " KIM TIO" in hainan language?
The orange round big ball...2 of them

twinklets

So pai say
lame.gif
, my emoicons so messy!! Was halfway trying to dl my emoicons, but realize all are gone liao. So hackcare dl anw! heeee :p

Hi Alhana,
Yes yes, seem like this place has been very quiet since March!! I was wondering where are all the hainanese gals when the last posting turned out to trimming. hehehee...
Hahaha .. my father is a also a good cook too. Cook better than my mum. He also likes to make us the guinea pigs. & when we say his cooking is real good, he very happy 1. Same as ur father, more adventurous haha.
biggrin.gif

So is ur MIL abit haolian abt her dialect?
My MIL always say this this who is Teochew lar, tat tat is Teochew lar. Geesshh.. *roll eyes*
Even my hubby agreed she's haolian!!
crazy.gif

Eh btw I dun mean all Teochews are haolian lar.
Just happen my MIL family side abit wat wat lor ...
lame.gif

Hi Novgal,
hehe thanks thanks. Hope will have more joining in lor...

Hainanese tradition? Hmm not much leh. U mean wedding wise? Quite chin chai hehee.
My mum asked for roasted pig, 3 layer pork, oranges, orange juice, 2 cakes i think. Tat's abt all. And she asked for 52 boxes of cakes for relatives.
Are u marrying soon?

Hi Zoeanne,
Welcome to this thread too. hehehehe
I heard of this big round ball. My mum bought for my 2 eldest sisters in their wedding day.
Nowadays I think very few shops got sell.
U getting them for ur wedding??
U can refer to my above reply to Novgal on my wedding customs.
happy.gif

krazy76baby

hihi,
me also 100%!!
happy.gif

my granddad used to work as a chef in raffles hotel when he was younger and in china, he used to work as a chef on trains... all my uncles, aunts are excellent cooks!!! so we are really lucky.
but the younger generations (me included) are not cuz we are a little too pampered i guess. hehe
but will learn some so that alls not lost on us.

zoeanne27

Hi Twinkle

Sorry. I gone thru all but i dun see the wedding cutom. Sorry. Do you mind advise and guide me again.. Please?

Thanks..

alhana

Hi twinklets

Hmmm..I think she's more niao than haolian :p She's very stingy lah..everyone in the family knows it. And she always thinks she's right. She did say our children must learn Teochew. I just rolled my eyes. I'm thinking if we have kids, I'd rather my kid take my FIL's dialect (cantonese) than hers :p But if they learn hainanese..even better! Heheh. Anyway, hubby and I live with my folks now..so chances of the kid learning hainanese is good. Probably will be better than me coz i SUCK at it. I can understand, but I fumble when I speak.

Krazbi

My paternal granddaddy used to work in Raffles Hotel too! But he later went to M'sia to buy his own rubber plantation. My maternal granddad was a cook for a Brit family. Heh..maybe our grandparents know each other..after all, the Hainanese community isn't very big compared to the other dialect groups.

Regarding wedding customs, I dun think my family (incl extended family) remembers much abt the Hainanese traditions. When I got married, my parents very chin chye..asked for just a few tables (and by few, its like only 2 tables), bride price, cakes for relatives..err..think that's it. My MIL did give si dian jin, altho I think that's more of a teochew custom..and on the day they gave the cakes, they also gave some bottles of liquor. My cousins, who got married much earlier than me, also didn't really follow any hainanese traditions. Then again, one got married to an American, one to a Eurasian, and one to a Catholic Indonesian chinese..so their ceremonies were all v westernized. Heh..our family gatherings look like a United Nations conference.

tiewster

fwaaaaaaaah!! didnt know here got HAINANESS CLAN oso!! KA KEE LANG!! wwahahahahahahaha...me 100% pure HAINANESE too!!...too bad my zaborlang dunno hainanese.

Toking abt cooks....quite true...my dad was a cook during his sailing times. He had taught me his skills in making chicken rice & western food.. eheheheheh...

transparent

Wah, this thread is alive again!

Zoeanne,

Re wedding customs, my mom told me we Hainanese are quite chin chye. Altho e big rice ball is supp to be a must, my mom did away wz it cos she say it is so difficult to find it now & dun wana make thgs diff for my hb.

krazy76baby

morning ladies
happy.gif

yeah... the big ball thingy is virtually impossible to find now. we went to seah street when we were preparing for our wedding and the spoke to the guy who made these balls. apparently, he is no longer making them.
this was a huge let down cuz its not often that we have the big balls... not even during the new year.
alhana,
yeah... maybe lei... hehe its nice to find people here who are like "family"
happy.gif

twinklets

Hi gals!!!

Good to see it is alive!!!!!!!
bounce.gif

My Paternal Grandpa was army chef for the brits last time. Hee I believe afew of our grandpas from there too!!

Btw, I only can speak alittle bit,listenwise so so only. How abt u gals??
I feel kinda regretted that I cant master my own dialect. Till now, I dun speak other dialects, cos I myself cant even speak my own dialect, why shd i go & learn other pple dialects. hehehe
crazy.gif

Btw, Hainan clan is very small. So maybe afew of us fathers may noe one another!!! Especially if from the same Kampong. Mine is from Change Village NO. 11. All hainanese or most hainaese village. Hehehe anyone from there?
Feel so 'cosy' to noe so many hainanese gals here.
biggrin.gif

Hi Zoeanne,
My mum asked for roasted pig, 3 layer pork, oranges, orange juice, 2 cakes i think. Tat's abt all. & she's very particular abt the cakes for our relatives.
Your mum is hakka? Your dad is Hainanes? You shd be following the hainanese customs , right?
Dun worry so much, cos the hainanese are quite chin chye in terms of the wedding customs. So lucky us
happy.gif

Even the timing no need to be early 1.

Hi Alhana,
Wow so cool to stay with ur folks after marriage! Yup, u must tell ur mum to teach ur kids hainanese next time. hehe tat's what my mum is doing rite now to my niece. (she's babysiting her) Although my lil' niece is a hokkien.
She can now say the features of our face in hainanese. BETTER THAN ME!!!!
lol.gif

twinklets

wow Pomjitjit,
you noe how to cook chicken rice & western food ahh!!?! So cool! I only just learn cooking since I got married last year.
lame.gif

I always luv to eat the chicken rice, & my mum home made chilli sauce.
1 thing for sure is most hainanese mothers noe how to make these both!
happy.gif

*Yummy*
proud.gif

Hi Krabi,
Ya lor, this ball so difficult to get. I also dunno how it looks like. My mum want to buy for me 1, but the shop closed down liao.
Think this ball is the only 'special' thing in hainanese wedding customs.
biggrin.gif

twinklets

hey alhana,
I agreed with the part of ur mil always think she's right part.
My mil also same same. Every words she said, she'll think she's rite lor. Even sometimes wrong, I also sian to correct her, cos no point.
If i happen to correct her, her face will show liao, so better diam diam best .. hehehe

zoeanne27

Hi twinkle & girls

Thanks for the guidance. I can see the things we hainanese ask for are so simple compared to others. My mum is Hakka.. Dad is hainanese therefor I shd follow my dad hainanese custom lor..

I think my mum quite particular about the cakes giving relatives. So i shd be giving her. Actually, both hubby and I share cost for all these custom things.. My MIL not forking out any $$.. All under us.. Haiz..My MIL.. dun say liao la.. All she said also seem right and everyone wrong neh.......

I still remember how the ball look like cos it is so special. When i m young, i can still clearly remember it very huge.. N manage to eat a small piece after my aunt wedding..If i hope can get for my wedding, cos something so unique now..

I can speak alittle of Hainanese language and a little of Hakka.. Ha Ha... If my grandpa spoke too CHIM hainanese lang, i blur like sotong. Afterall she did not brought me up.. its my mum's side, so i know hakka lang too.. But nowadays, my hainan grandma stayed opposite me and often come over my house, we can start a conversation quite well liao.. My poor hubby..dun even understand and spoke hokkien to her..He only know how to say " BO TAI" to her.. Fainted la... Ha Ha...

sorbet

Hi Ladies,

I am a 100% pure hainanese too. I am so glad this thread is alive again
happy.gif

My maternal grandparents are hainanese and my paternal grandparents were hainanese too. I can still speak but garang gabo sometime. hee...hee...

If anyone is still looking for the rice ball, you may like to try this coffeeshop in Toa Payoh Lorong 1. That uncle servse his hainanese chicken with rice balls. I know where it is, but can't remember the Blk no though. If you are interested, I can direct you to that coffeeshop or I will try to get the address for you.

Have you ladies ever listened to the hainanese news broadcast from FM95.8? I can't understand a single thing the news caster said, can only recognised a few vocabs. :p That's how good my hainanese is.
happy.gif

novgal

hi twinklets,
my AD will be in Jun05. guess my parents will not know much about Hainanese traditions.. or maybe will adopt Hokkien style since my mum is a Hokkien. heard about the rice balls from my parents but nvr got to see it.

hi zoeanne,
at least u still know how to speak a little. i can only understand a few hainanese terms, not to mention speaking the dialect!.. my dad nvr teach us the dialect.. that's why

not forgetting the rest of the hainanese members,
wow! seems that quite a few of ur grandfathers were cooks! .. my dad cooks well too.. but he tends to cook the same dish over and over again (in a few consecutive days!) if we compliment his cooking.. hee.. so sometimes cannot tell him the food is yummy..hee hee

alhana

Twinklets,

Yah, I also diam diam when my MIL talks. She gets defensive if we correct her. I just roll my eyes lah. Hehehe.

My dad grew up in Middle Road area...also alot of Hainanese there...the Seah street area etc. He attended SJI, which was nearby too. Think my mom grew up in a farm in Bt timah.

twinklets

afternoon gals!

It is wednesday, midweek liao. So happy!!!
lame.gif

Hi Zoeanne,

I forget 1 thing also, got this Pig trotters can. (hmm not really sure is trotters or not lar, those small round can, with yellow labels 1, very cheap ones sell in NTUC). I think my mum asked for quite alot of cans. Maybe more than 10. So heavy when my hubby went NTUC to buy. *lol*

Actually hor, I also dunno why pple say our hainanese wedding custom is more hassle free. The other dialects really so much things to do mah??
uhoh.gif

Yup yup, the ball is very unique. It'll be really special if u manage to get 1.
happy.gif

I speak hainanese even more 'tekong'. bit by bit. Cannot say in full statement 1. The best word I say is "jia bui" , "bong Kamg" hehehehe
biggrin.gif

Hey at least ur hubby noe how to say "bo tai". My hubby makes no effort to learn leh.

hi Sorbet,
Nope, i never noe there's hainanese news in 95.8.
talker.gif
For sure I wont understand 1. Mine is really cannot make it 1.

My mum noes how to make the rice balls. Very nice. But i think quite tedious to roll them into balls. It has been a long time since she made them. I think I'll pyscho her to make for me since I'm pregnant now, more privileged mah.
lol.gif

Hi Novgal,
Hee still a long way from ur wedding.
wink.gif

The Rice Balls are good. Good to eat with the fingers
happy.gif

Hi Alhana,
haha think we better dun offend the Queeny MILs. hehehe.

Yah I think i noe where. 1 of my aunty kopitiam was there last time. But now demolised to become those small cafes.

alhana

Twinklets,

I just cannot say 'jia bui' properly..my 'bui' always comes out funny and my folks will laugh at me :p same when I try to say 'deng' (light).

I've eaten the hainanese chicken rice ball before..think we bought from this stall (located in a shop house) some where in jalan besar. But now, I dun eat it anymore..too much carbo leh. Its quite scary coz when its in ball shape, u can eat so much and u dun feel full :p But actually, its ALOT of rice. But yes, 'jian o jia!'

zoeanne27

hi

The rice ball? My grandma and mum know how to make. But hor , seem tedious. I saw how they use hot rice, then with water.. press into rice ball.. But hor, i often break them up when i put on my plate.. Ha Ha.

I heard FM95.8 got hainan news but simply dun understand..

Ha Ha.. Twinkle, i can understand the " Bomg Kang" and " Jia Bui" ...Everytime my grandpa about to fishes die, I sure make fun and said " Lu Gai Hu Di Liao Bor" Ha ..He sure said i spoke in broken hainan lang... I dun care la.. As long as they understand lor..Hee Hee

My hubby ah.. " Bo Tai" is the 1st word he learnt cos meaning " dun know" .. so that everytimes, ppl talk to him, he sure said " Bor Tai la " ...But he said in hokkien, meaning " No Tiles for mahjong" that why he remember la.. Fainted.. I also taught him some Hakka Lang, the even more funnier he sound.. Ha Ha..

Truthfully, other customer GDL things are more complicated

krazy76baby

yeah, the rice balls are actually very difficult to make. especially when the rice is chicken rice; oily and they will only stick when made hot so hands are usually scalded. usually 2 bowls of rice is needed to make a decent rice ball... so if you eat more than 1 ball, hahah
happy.gif
but its true, when i eat rice ball, i can eat many many. hehehe.
plain rice also can.. but use salt water to rinse hands so that rice wont stick to hands and after that, the balls will have the salty taste... rather tasty.
all this talk is making me hungry for rice ball.... been ages since i eat them.
in the past when i was younger, during qing ming, my relatives will make rice balls and bring them to the cemetry together with the food. and after prayers and all, we will have a little pinic there. .. very convenient!

sorbet

My mom made the rice balls pretty often just so to get my nephews to eat their carbo....gimmick!

When we were young, me and my brother used to stuff some chicken meat into our rice balls and eat them with our oily hands. Those were the days...

tiewster

Guess many of those old hainanese ppl wld be staying in Hainan St(Current Parco Bugis)???? My grandma stayed there too....loved to visit them when i was young. So much life in the alleys. hehehe... Last time various dialects clan seem to be rather close....but ever since the development of Spore, majority of those ppl had lost contacts with their fella "kampongs".

Twinklets
u know ur Hainan Island address??? whahahaahaha... not bad mah...i only know my kampong is "BOON SIO"...the rest dunno lia.. heehehe

Anyone visited Hainan Island b4??? Share the news here ley!!!..... my parents went back there abt 2yrs back...cannot adapt to the lifestyle there.....those kampong ppl....eat & spit those bones out onto the floor they were staying.. Oh my god...if they ever come to my place & do it...i sure HAMMER them jialat jialat one.. ahahahahahaha.... Somemore my mom say...their toilet is facing the paddy field one....so if wanna shower or do business....gotta walk out a plank to the public toilet....funny thing is... THE TOILET GOT NO DOORS ONE!! whahahahaaha... My mum got scared & ask my dad take umbellra & stand guard outside the toilet while she showering.

But then again hor, there are oso some nice sceneries in Hainan Island oso lah...my mum claim that Haikou looks similar like Shenton Way. Unbelievable....

twinklets

hulo gals,

really bui tahan, wanna fall asleep liao.
sad.gif

I do noe 1 statement, let u gals GUESS OK??????

"Nong sua do wu mo yi." GUESS !!!!!!

heheheheheehhee
biggrin.gif

Yup the rice ball very high carbo, but it is simple irresistable!!!!!!!! I can finish up a number of balls at 1 go, with my oily fingers. Just by thinking it , really make my stomach growling now!!

Sorbet,
So envy u! The last time I ate was either during Primary sch or early secondary sch
sad.gif

Pomjitjit,
I noe my grandfather they all from "Wuchang" or something. hehehe exact address i dunno. I never been there, but my father will also go back & visit our relatives there every yr. He luvs that place i guess, though he's not born there.
I think our parents go there for holiday can lor, but stay there for good ...... hmm .. difficult leh ..
He got ask us to go bk & see, but we all show not much interest ..
uhoh.gif

twinklets

pomjitjit,
The Changi Village No.11 is located in Singapore 1, not in Hainan island .. err u tot i noe my hainan island address ??
crazy.gif
uhoh.gif
hehe

alhana

twinklets

I guess! It's 'I take you to watch movie!' Got prize for guessing correctly or not :p

Huh! 1 rice ball=2 bowls of rice!! Gosh! I'm glad I dun eat them anymore :p I can easily eat 3 or 4 :p It just doesn't seem like alot when in ball form..funny hor.

Pomjitjit,

My family still has a house on Hainan Island. Dad still goes there for prayers occasionally. Said I shld go one day. He also said the hainanese chicken rice there is terrible! The chicken's damn tough. And at nites, its very dark, and the toilet is not located w/in the house..must go out to do ure business..so scary :p I have phobia of public toilets..bad enough in SG..can't imagine China's! Well, I've been to Beijing before and was already appalled by toilets there :p Cannot imagine the countryside!

alhana

twinklets

I guess! It's 'I take you to watch movie!' Got prize for guessing correctly or not :p

Huh! 1 rice ball=2 bowls of rice!! Gosh! I'm glad I dun eat them anymore :p I can easily eat 3 or 4 :p It just doesn't seem like alot when in ball form..funny hor.

Pomjitjit,

My family still has a house on Hainan Island. Dad still goes there for prayers occasionally. Said I shld go one day. He also said the hainanese chicken rice there is terrible! The chicken's damn tough. And at nites, its very dark, and the toilet is not located w/in the house..must go out to do ure business..so scary :p I have phobia of public toilets..bad enough in SG..can't imagine China's! Well, I've been to Beijing before and was already appalled by toilets there :p Cannot imagine the countryside!

tiewster

HELLOOOOOOOOO EVERYONE!!! LU LANG JIA BAK WU BO?? ehehehe...

twinklets

i do agree with alhana...it shld be " I bring u go see movie" kekekeke..... yeah lor...i tot u were trying to tell us the address in Hainan Island. hahahahahaahah. Yeah...my parents that time oso wanted me & my bro to go along with them. But hor...i cant imagine myself doing business or showering w/o the door. wahahahahahaha...

Ever wonder why hainanese likes to eat rice ball with OLD CHICKEN??? The meat is tough & rubbery!! i do enjoy eating the rice but not those kinda chicken!! ahahah....My mum can cook chicken rice very well...i like the chilli...WAH SHIOKS!!! the talk of it....salivates meeeee!! heheheehhe...

alhana...

got a house there?? good maaaaaaah.....next time run away from SG, can go there "BI BI FENG TOU" ahahahahah.....

sorbet

My grandparents stayed in Tiong Bahru hill last time. There used to be a village of some kind, quite a handful of hainanese families living there before.

My parents been to Hainan island, they are planning to go again in aug-sept 2006. I am eager to join them for this trip.

Alhana, you are good! I only managed with "me" and "movie", was struggling with the 3 in the middle. :p

Do you ladies remember any unique hainanese culture?

alhana

Harlo fellow Hai Nam Nang
happy.gif

Pomjitjit

Yah..we have a house there. My aunt, who lives in Hong Kong, will go over to Hainan Island to stay once in awhile. But she gets bored after too long coz its too quiet compared to Hong Kong :p Actually I read that they plan to develop Hainan into a resort destination..already have big name hotels there like Sheraton in Hai Kou. If it becomes more developed (ie got nice proper toilets :p), I will consider going. I hear them spk abt our house toilet..scared man. My mom made my dad accompany her to the toilet in the middle of the nite :p

Sorbet,

My parents are actually going to Hainan again next mth.

Yeah..I can understand Hainanese pretty ok..of coz, some stuff still too deep for me to follow. But I'm hopeless at speaking the dialect. Oh well, better than everything 'Bo tai' :p

twinklets

Hulo gals!
happy.gif

So glad that today is finally FRIDAY!!!!
bounce.gif

hehe u gals not bad! Guess coRRECTLY!!!!
but no prize leh
biggrin.gif

haha.. u noe.. i heard from somewhere that Hainan island is something like the China's Hawaii leh
lol.gif
lol.gif

Actually hor I do like to eat the "Lao Mu Ji". My mum will cook whenever my father wants to eat. Tough meat but good training for my teeth!!!!
proud.gif

My father also got built house there. Infact my father bought so many things for them. Got bike, fridge, TV etc. Sometimes we are kinda mad at my hainan relatives, 'cos always macham like we print $$ like tat.
sad.gif

tiewster

twinklets

true....the last time i had a relative from hainan island...the greatest joke was....he told my uncle :"you sporean very rich.....no money..just need to walk to the wall & press press....got money come out liao!!" whahahahahahaahaha.... actually i do find those hainan ppl think we all in sg are sooooooooooo well to do....often propose to build houses there for the ancestor... always asking for several thousands. U give once....THAT IT....they will hog u like CAI SHEN YE....somemore my grandma went back so many times...the land is always bare....after collecting abt few tens of thousands....they uilt one small hut.... cannot tahan them sial...

Then...they will always write letter to us...asking us to sponsor some of them fella to come here visit.....WAH KAO....think we really print $$$ one meeeeeeeeeh?

Come liao....wanna stay Ritz Carlton...cos they heard in china that this hotel is 6* hotel... wah piang....i myself oso no stay there b4.... they really know how to enjoy sial!.... then when they at to go back....pester my grandma to buy gold for them to bring back....ptuiZ....

twinklets

Pomjitjit,

wow piang, really very terok leh! they stay in Ritz Carton?? So in the end, they got stay or not!!!???!!

Ya lor,precisely .. seem like all of them think we singaporeans are so well off. Come on leh, we here only stay in HDB flat leh.

Worst still was last time when i was in primary sch, afew of the relatives came over to stay at our hse.
Really cannot tahan lor. Their way of living is really too different from us.
The last time was an uncle. Luckily he was different from them. Very nice guy, always help us repair the pipes & sinks! At least he dun ask my father for money like siao.
At least make me change my perception of my hainanese relatives, ie not all of them are so money faced.

Ok, tomorrow is wkend liao. Gals, happy wkend!!!!
happy.gif

zoeanne27

Hi

ya lor. They really think we singaporeans are very well off. My dad and grandpa always send $ back. Got a piece of small land there, spend over thousand of $$ liao.. keep wanting $$ to build our house.. My dad and grandpa went over there and realise only 4 piece of wall to make a hut and a roof, inside only 1 table and 4 chairs..
My grandpa in the 1st place still said we can stay in his house in hainan island... Ha Ha..

My parents went back b4, I did not..I think their hometown is xiong Hai for grandma and Wen Chang for grandpa...cannot remember
but been to a few places in china already.. find their toilet ok only..hahaha

I miss the rice ball also.. my grandma so long no make liao.. Miss them..