Anyone having the Tea Ceremony at banquet venue?

shootingstarz

Hi to all brides,

My hubby & I (already ROM)are thinking of having the tea ceremony at the banquet venue on the actual wedding day instead of having it early in the morning. We feel that instead of making everyone busy & tired, might as well have it before the wedding dinner starts. Therefore, not having the gate crashing etc.. just simple tea ceremony. But how to seperte both sides parents? or are there other factors that i should look into? Wander any brides did that or intend to do that? Please share experinces.
Thanx!!

ebell

Hi,
I has 2 wedding banquets. My 2nd one was on a wkday for relatives. We did our tea ceremony during cocktail. We started with parents then the guys side followed by girl's. Do ask ur parents to inform the relatives involved cos we had some relatives that didnt want the tea ceremony. Those who were late, which was only 2 couples for us, we continued during the foto-taking session. U nid to inform ur banquet manager to make the necessary arrangement. Oso set the time, we had ours about 730. Then the ceremony ended, I went to change to my gown ( u may wear the same), and had my marcg in at 8pm sharp.

shootingstarz

Hi ebell,

thx for the info, in this case, it is okay to have both parents' presence at the same time & same place while having tea ceremony? As in when we offer tea to groom's parents, bride's parent can stay there & watch? Having it before the dinner starts sounds good,so convenient.. but am just wandering the groom & family menbers hv to be around during that time as guests will be coming in & they need to welcome them? Thanx!!
happy.gif

techgal

Hi Shootingstarz,

Care to share when is yr AD?

Actually I like-minded with u too..Thinking of tea cermony on AD banquet..Mine is next year..still got time to think n re-think abt it..

shootingstarz

Hi JY,

mine also next yr.. therefore still deciding about it..Very much hope to have it at the banquet, cutting all the hassles & giving family more time to prepare & rest. your parents & groom's side parents ok with it too?? It they are fine, thats great.

techgal

I will also like to cut the hassle but on the other hand i felt that w/o the gate crashing..it seem lesser fun..

shootingstarz

Hi..

for me to go without the fun is okay lah.. but i guess it realy depends on the individual. Infact I feel that it is equally memorable for me to have or not to have.. hee, the banquet is already a 'huge party' with so many friends & relatives to celebrate together. Just hoping to cut down the hassles for them, especially for my parents & close relativies & friends..

blueflower

am planning to do that for my customary. have all the relatives gathered at the hotel. as they have given me a lounge area afterwhich, will have the wedding lunch (sit down). think its safer, at least no one will be late for my banquet lunch

shootingstarz

Hi blueflower,

thats true.. relatives will be punctual for tea ceremony. So you will not be having the gate crashing too? The hotel is nice to give you a lounge area. btw.. is it fine to have both sides parents around while we serve tea to either side? since we are having the tea ceremony at the hotel venue.. can you pls share what are the things that we have to bring along tothe hotel?

hazuki

i having gate crashing but tea ceremony is 1hr b4 dinner... hotel will provide everything, tea cup/tea pot/longan drink etc..

shootingstarz

Hi petrina,

you will be having your tea cermony at the hotel too? will you be serving tea to many relatives? I am thinking whether to ask the relatives to come earlier or serve them the tea during the banquet..

lyn6305

Hi, i guess only need to serve tea to relatives if they could not turn up for the tea ceremony in the morning.
happy.gif

Hey, anyone knows if we hv the tea ceremony after the groom fetch the bride at the bride's parent home then go to groom's side for tea ceremony and then go to montrimony home and lastly go back to bride's parent's home. This is told by my mother and aunties.

Is this the correct sequence? Cos usually i saw serving tea ceremony at the bride's parent home at the last. So i am not sure which shd be the correct sequence.

blueflower

shootingstarz,
i am planning to get the lounge area is rather big. its next to the ballroom as i have taken up the M Hotel package for the grand ballroom. not too sure about the sensitivity of the parents being present when serving tea to other side of the relatives. is there a taboo to that?

i will be having gate crashing in the morning. most likely my FH will pick me up from my house and then go back to his house and straight to the hotel. not going back to my house again.

finni

Hi all ,

Those who try having the Tea Ceremony at banquet venue....
Does it look beri messy....
coz i also wan it this way
but i really got too many relatives

heat

Hey there.. Is there any difference in tea ceremony between parents of different religion? My parents are taoist and my future PIL are christians... will there be any implication in i merge them together?

cactus_79

hi armando,

tea ceremony is not a religious thing. it's a cultural/chinese thing. As long as you both only offer tea to the living, and don't offer tea to the decesased, or participate in ancesteral worship, it's okay. there's no need to merge anything. It's just kneeing, and giving tea right? Unless you are saying the morning ceremony which includes joss stick holding and burning, and kowtowing of the heads.. then there is a prob.

pinkcupcake

Hi ladies, I will also be having my tea ceremony at my banquet venue, then solemnisation, then the dinner. Save the hassle. Besides, i foresee i probably cannot sleep on eve of wedding, so can wake up late if tea ceremony is in the afternoon. ha ha!

Don't know what time tea ceremony should start though. how long does it usually take? half an hour? if like that, then i will have it at 5pm or 4.30pm.

Hi armando, like what cactus said, tea-ceremony isn't religious. It's more of a custom and respect thing. My fiance and i are christians but i think it's important to do this, to show that we respect and acknowledge all they have done for us.
happy.gif
I don't think your parents-in-law will mind.

kinzeng

Hi,

I'm also having my tea ceremony together with my wedding lunch. The headach is wherethe to having before or after the lunch. My main concern is that when the tea ceremony is before lunch the elders hav to come as early as 11am and the lunch will only start at 1pm. I'm afraid of making them wait too long. Can give any comments??

rosewhite

Hi Ic..

I think if for wedding lunch, maybe you can have your tea ceremony after that. Time is still early even after the lunch & everyone needed to be involved will be around. Is convenient to have tea ceremony where the lunch or dinner to be held at.
happy.gif

listan

Hiya,

We had everything in one go. We had tea ceremony for my husband's relatives at his place, then we went to the venue, and there, we had another round of tea ceremony for my relatives.

Partly because my husband's relatives came from abroad, and put up at his home, so it's easier to have the ceremony there.

Then since we had lunch reception, it's easier for my relatives to just arrive there instead to having to come to my place, then leave for venue. We had it there the first thing we reached there.

Then we had the solemnisation at the venue too. Then, it's food time. Right after the lunch reception, we went off to the airport, snap up some pics, then I got changed in casual clothes (while he wore his suit... arrrggg, that made me look like his maid following around the master), and we took off for honeymoon.

It's a little wacky, no rush, but heaps of fun.

jadelyra

i am also thinking of having my tea ceremony after my lunch. was drafting my schedule and realise that there is not much time in the morning..

chewo

i planned to do my solemnisation in the hotel before the dinner. but if i want to include my tea ceremoney, when should it be?
before the solemnisation? or after? help!!!!

pinkpony

Hihi! I intend to have all three (vows, lunch/dinner and tea ceremony) all at the same venue and time too
happy.gif

Chewogum, not sure if this make sense, but maybe tea ceremony should comes after solemnisation - as that's after you and your HTB announced as man and wife - so, when you do the tea ceremony, you can address and call your husband's family as your own.

Hi girls, can anyone share with me how the itinery on the AD will work with the tea ceremony at the banquet venue. I intend to do the tea ceremony before dinner but I have no solemnisation and was wondering how it will work. Shall I just meet all my relatives at the venue and when everyone arrives then start? Sounds strange that there's noting to "kickstart" the tea ceremony. Anyone had their AD already can share their experience please?

danger82

Hi,

Can I check if my itinerary is ok? In the morning, groom fetch bride then go to groom's hse to serve tea to his parents only, then back to bride's hse to serve tea to all bride's relatives then to hotel where we will serve tea to groom's relatives just before our solemnisation & dinner.

tay_weiwei

i am also worried about the tight timming as mine is lunch. If we want to have tea ceremony before the lunch, so you know if we need to rent an extra room?

kitty_princess

i will be having lunch banquet too, on 20 Sep 2009.. solemnisation, tea ceremony then followed by lunch.. i think timing shouldn't be a problem if plan well..

i'm not going to have gate crashing, so straight away after my HTB fetches me, we will proceed to the hotel to check in and reheresal.. we will be having our solemnisation and tea ceremony at the same spot as our banquet.. cos for our banquet, it's in a private suite in the hotel.. so outside the banquet room, there's a foyer for us to have our solemnisation and tea ceremony.. everything at the same place..
happy.gif

monkie

oh meow,
you schedule same as mine.
dun worry, can be done. my HB fetch me at 7am and i am ready with make up at 7am too.. just in time.

tay_weiwei

I am having buffet at poolside at own condo.... My rom is already over. Do you think we should have tea-ceremony before start of buffet or after?

Weiwei, I think if u have tea ceremony after the buffet, it could be messy as you have to gather everyone together and also, some people might want to leave early? Start would be better I think.

because

i'm intending to have my tea ceremony before my dinner at the bridal suite... not sure if its too cramp though... it will be a simple affair, i suppose.

anyone who has done this before? care to share?

envymoi

Hi Charmaine.
I'm thinking of the same thing as u too.
For me, the tea ceremony will be held before the dinner. Solemnization will be held in at the dinner as well. We have booked a function room with the hotel for tea ceremony before the cocktail starts. We really want to save the hassle cos I see no point in making ourselves really tired out by following all the procedures on our big day. It's a day where we wanna enjoy and celebrate our marriage.

My question to others:
Is it ok if I wear the actual WG during tea ceremony for my side & my fiance's side?
Do I need to change into 'kua' when it comes to relatives on my side?

because

Hey Tan!

That's cool!

We have already gone through ROM in April - and I think instead of the bridal suite, we will have the tea ceremony in the function room too! Yah, I fully agree that no point in making ourselves very tired on the big day.

I'm not sure if I'll be wearing the wedding gown for the tea ceremony or whether its a tea dress, but for the tea ceremony, I'm only wearing one outfit...

because

I am also wondering - since we are having the tea ceremony at the venue - what should the order be? The brides family and relatives first, followed by the groom's family and rellies?

because

Hi,

Just wanted to check with those who have done tea ceremony at banquet venue - how do you manage the logistics (e.g. washing teh cups before each tea session?)

heat

Hi Charmaine,

you can arrange for one of your sisters to have a nice red pail/ bowl to wash up the cups and another pour for u to standby for e tea session for another old folks..

Hi Charmaine, I had my wedding at Four Seasons and the hotel arranged for one of their staff to wash the cups, pour the tea etc. The only thing we had to do was for our tea lady to take the tea from the hotel staff. It was very convenient, we didn't have to prepare anything, even the tea was provided. Only thing we brought was the tea set. Hope this helps you.

monkie

during the tea ceremony, there is no need to wash the cups cos no time. maybe you need to get a staff to wipe away those obvious lipsticl stains.

frankly speaking, even there is lip stick stain, most ppl just close one eye.

candycandy001

I have not done my tea ceremony but hotel said will arrange a function room (beside the banquet venue) for me, including tea etc. Just for free... My SIL did it last yr in hotel too, everything is well-managed, all handled by hotel staff.

stas

hey everyone.. i'm having a headache plannin the logistics now. i'm doin a wedding dinner next jan. will be doing rom at the hotel in the late evening. hotel has mentioned that it can cater to the rom for free.

i'm planning to do tea ceremony for my relatives at the hotel too. But i cant figure out the exact schedule as my mum insist on serving food during the ceremony. so i have to cater lunch or tea break during the tea ceremony. the hotel food is way too expensive. lunch is $75++!

Any of u ladies has a schedule similar to mine? if yes, pls advise!! thanks much!! :D

alvin_lee

Try not to have tea ceremony at the hotel in the late morning or early afternoon. If you do, then your relatives will have to go to the hotel twice (a 2nd time for the dinner in the evening). No one enjoys such hassle.

If you really want to have the tea ceremony at the hotel, do it after your evening ROM. Plan your ROM at 6pm, tea ceremony at 630pm, cocktail reception at 7pm. Should you miss out any relatives for the tea ceremony at 630pm, serve them tea when you mingle with your guests during the dinner.