Anyone had Homogeneous tiles for Living Room?

dixie

Hi genehan,
I read ur comment over the singapore brides.com. I wonder where to view/buy those new china tiles that u mention-- the edge is almost 90 deg.
Also, wonder if the QC of tiles is poorer for china make.

Hi celwong,
Any idea where u get the tiles from(which shop)? Also, how is the grinding of edge that u mention? does it work-- i mean the irregular height.

Hi kk,
Wonder would there be uneveness in the floor-- esp at the edge? How bad is it?

Thanks everyone!
Thanks
Dixie

G

genehan

hi dixie,

u can get/view the tiles at Jip Heng at defu lane.
personally do not think the tiles from china is of poorer quality or QC bad becos u/stand from the tiles shop the maker has brand new production line with improve machinery (better than italians original machine). if u wish to view email me.

rgds

celwong

Hi dixie, i get my tiles from a shop in defu lane under the camel shop. Think is defu lane 12 or sometimes, chk for you okie. The grinding mark my hubby chk already,say side good but in the centre like got a bit of contour lines. think e contractor only grid the edges but not the whole piece,
sad.gif
should have just gotten other types of tiling not so troublesome.

however
lol.gif
, when i compared these types of tiles to those ceramic ones, this definetly beat hands down in the finishing.

tell you more wen i c the tiles today
happy.gif

chiart

Hi all,
Just read all the discussion.
Me also having headache with the flooring tiles...dun know whether to choose homogenous tiles, ceramic or marble...very undecided.
I dun like ceramic cos of the gaps in between...but homogenous tiles i heard they will curve and not too good.....but marble too expensive..any advice?\

jocelyn

Hi chiart,

me too had this problem when I did my reno 3 yrs ago, end up i still took the polished homogenous tiles. I've been staying for 3 yrs liao... and i hvn't got much problem with it and i didn't really need any special maintainance.

i hv some pix, drop me a mail if u want to see.
happy.gif

blossom

hi chiart,
i also chose polished homogeneous tiles for my living room. very nice, a lot of visitors mistook it for marble. i like homogeneous tiles becos it is much easier to maintain than marble. but i think ceramic is still the most durable. it really depends on what u like.
10576.gif

P

pal

Hi Blossom

me 2 having marble like homo tiles
nt sure if its the same
the delivery workers who send stuff to my hse
will take extra care cos they thot is marble
happy.gif

jocelyn

Hi gals,

hv already dropped you all a mail.
happy.gif

Let me know if you all are not able to see the floor properly then i'll try and take again for u all.
happy.gif

celwong

Hi all, I would really advise against all that want to do china homo tiles for their home (the big types).

My scenario: after doing the highly recommended tiles that even promise to be similiar to marble polishing. The tiles from china std suddenly dropped to very low. My contractor even mentioned that now they wouldn't even recommend the tiles and the singapore supplier also wouldn't bring in the tiles from china due to many homes has got problems now.

After my sides of the homo tiles has warped causing a significant up down, i request the contractor to grind the sides. But the results, alas the sides that were grinded no doubt all the tiles are flat liao, but there is a colour contrast quite obvious.

therefore, strongly requested for the singapore supplier and the china supplier to come down to my place and requested for a compenstation either in money reduction or changing all the tiles to ceramic (Italian Homo tiles are too ex) to save all the troubles.

So if those who had done the tiles earlier when the standard is still good really lucky but the tiles now are really terrible.

However, the tiles would really look beautiful if the edges wouldn't warped, With almost mirror finishing.

jocelyn

Hi all,

I'm not using the homo tiles from china, it's from italy , so it is slightly more ex, in fact almost reaching marble price, but i have no regrets cos it was nice and and easy to maintain.
happy.gif

Q

qq

Hi Blueball
$5.50 psf??? Does that include workmanship aka the cost of laying???

Q

qq

hi...
Wat I mean is... Does the $5.5psf include the cost of laying of tiles? Or is it only the price of tiles only?

bluebell

That is the price of the tiles, I think. Anyway, contractor told us we can select tiles up to this price range.

manz

prices of tiles is more or less the same... its how much they charge u for workmanship that make the difference.... =o)

dixie

Hi Bluebell,
Me think ur china tiles at 5.50 is too ex!!
I have selected homogenous tiles finally and is currently being layed. I have been to about 5 to 6 tiles shop to look at homogenous tiles.. most china tiles costs from 3.50 to 4.50.. I say one India tile.. abt 4.50 (but thin) Finally chose Italy tiles as it look abit thicker and my contractor say the tiles are of better quality (better QC).
Would let ur know when it is done!!

P

pal

Hi ladies
i had homo tiles in my living hall too
$7per pc so far so good fm Nam Huat
glossy & marble look too
happy.gif

hazel_t

looking at all the comments abt China homogenous tiles. i'm really afraid of facing the same problem.

Right now i ve decided on the china 60x60 tile--abt $3.80 each. I'm doing for the whole house except kitchen and household shelter. Total cost is $5800. Is it reasonable?

K

kk

Hi Hazel_t,

I used Italy Homo Tiles. Can't remember how much per tile but it is around $4 plus. I did for whole house, including kitchen, shelter and toilets. My ID quoted me (for living room + 3 bedrooms) around $5200.

I got another quote that time that wanted $7000++, also italy tiles. So there is really a great difference in how IDs quote.

hazel_t

wah, then i might as well get Italy ones, where did u get the tiles from? Have u stayed in the house already? Any problems like warping?

How big is ur tiles?

K

kk

Hi Hazel,

What's warping?

My reno finished last aug and we do stay there often over weekends and holidays.

But one point no good about homo tiles is they trap dirt. So if dusty, u can feel it immediately. And mine are not glossy type. Was encouraged not to take glossy type which would lose their shine after years.

I can't remember where i get the tiles from. My ID brought us there and the shop is at Eunos. It is a very popular shop. Definitely not NH Ceramics.

My tiles, if i did not remember wrongly, are already the biggest size for living room and bedrooms. I guess 12" by 12"?

hazel_t

i also dunno what's warping, think it's the uneven surface.

quote from celwong: "After my sides of the homo tiles has warped causing a significant up down, i request the contractor to grind the sides."

has the lines between the tiles become slightly grey now, after using for half a yr ?

does it "cut" ur leg when u walk on the floor?

K

kk

Hazel,

If it refers to uneven surface, no leh, i dun think i have such problem
happy.gif

Grey? I dun think so lor, i will check it out again. But my homo tiles for toilet has uneven patches of black and white. Maybe due to a certain area being exposed to water from shower and the portion not affected. But those tiles are not italian ones, think it is indonesia. Probably italian ones really better? kekee...

Definitely won't cut! I dun know whether that will happen for glossy type, my non-glossy type won't.

hayashi

Hi gals,my homo tiles is from china too.I was quoted $3200 including laying it.60cm by 60cm for living room.My tiles also have this uneven surface.My contractor says he will rectify the problem.Juz want to check wif u ppl is it becos the worker is unskillful in laying the tiles reculting in the uneveness?Or is it becos of the quality of the tiles itself.

bluebell

Hi Gals,

I have homogenous tiles too and mine costs $5.50 per tile (if I remember correctly). I love my tiles but the problem is they absorb water so everytime after I mop the floor I have to quickly dry it or my wet feet marks will stain the floor. Now my floor always look very dirty because of the water stains. Any of you have this problem?

Hi Hayashi,

I think both the tiles and workmanship plays a part. Some of my tiles were uneven and we pointed out to the contractor who changed them. This is due to workmanship but I have heard of some tiles which warped too.

K

kk

Hi Bluebell,

Water stains are what i found on my toilet tiles. Those are homo tiles too. Maybe because after we bath, we leave a pool of water there, so make a distinction between the bathing area and non bathing area. But for living room etc, dun really have such problems. I suspect this has something to do with the texture of tiles as well. For my toilet tiles, the tiles are especially rough for non-slippery effect.

Hi Hayashi,

Yah, i agree with bluebell. Worksmanship does play a part. If u discover anything unsatisfactory, can ask the contractor to relay the tiles. I was told to get a good person under the contractor to lay my tiles.

hazel_t

hi bluebell,

u use homogenous tiles for bedrooms and living room? Italy or China,how much issit? how big an area?

Is ur tiles glossy or matt surface? I think homogenous glossy surface wun have this problem.

blossom

bluebell,
i know what you mean but the water marks. what i did is to use those magic mop instead of the normal mop. less water will stay on the tiles after mopping and it will dry faster before it leaves a mark.

M

monash-girl

Hi there. I am new to this forum. Going to get my resale flat in May and thinking of having homogeneous tiles for my living room cos' it looks like marble. Heard that the worksmanship is very impt for laying the tiles, if not, it will be uneven. Anyone has any good contractor to recommend?

peachcooler

Hi bluebell,
me too having water marks on my homogeneous tiles.. it is very troublesome to mop the floor.. evertime when i mop the floor, i hv to switch on the fan at the same time so tat it dry faster!

Hi blossom,
wat kind of magic mop u using? when to buy?

blossom

hi hayashi/peachcooler,
it's kinda tough to describe the magic mop... let me see if i can find a pic from the web....
uhoh.gif

ok... found it... you can see a pic and brief description here...

http://www.smallspirit.com/mop.htm

it's quite common in supermarkets and shopping centres, even pasar malam. but heard that there are a lot fakes. the crucial point is the sponge. a good one is supposed to last up to a year or two. the sponge is replaceable.

i bought my mop at seiyu (household item section) but i suppose the mop can be found easily elsewhere. the brand i bought is "roman".

at first i felt it was very rigid because must mop straight due to the retangular sponge. also think that it seems so dry. so i went to buy a normal mop and realise the water marks... so decided to stick to the magic mop again. i just squeeze less water out so that the sponge is more wet.
wink.gif

hayashi,
i used magiclean to mop the floor. haven't finish the bottle so yet to try other brands. i dunno whether there are better brands.

bluebell

Hi Blossom,

I use a magic mop too but still will have some stains =( So now I mop one little area at a time coz my feet always leave marks on the wet floor and it doesn't help that my house is always so dusty. Wish I had used ceramic tiles , less headache...

Hi peach Cooler,

Ya, every time must make sure nobody steps on the wet areas and if there is water on the floor must quickly dry it.

Hi Hazel T,

Yes, I used homogenous tiles for bedrooms and living rooms. Soory :p I dun know my tiles are from Italy or China, I chose it cos I like the design
happy.gif

blossom

hi bluebell,
i see.... i will mop from one direction so that my feel wun step on the wet floor. maybe you can plan the route to mop.
lame.gif

sometimes, i also thought that ceramic tiles might have been a better choice. but cant be helped now. my hse is also quite dusty.
sad.gif

care

polished homogeneous tiles only last not more than 6 yrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thaz y HDB stopped using it for their d&b premuim flat!!!!!!!!
dun believe check those use it for abt 4 yrs & see yrself.
thaz y the price drop so much!
2 more yrs italy will stop prodution,meaning most will extinct except from china.
italy will come out with new tile thaz hav marble feel called engineered tech tiles.
a few company hav try it at some top commercial area.

C

crystal_deer

Hi care,

Do u know whether any contractor is using engineered tech tiles for residential house?

Thanks.

sparkle

Hi all,

I'm really confused now. I'm trying to decide what kind of tiles to use for my new home. I heard from the contractor that homo tiles from china also has diff quality. the cheaper ones is abt $3.50 but the better quality ones will cost abt $5.00. Is ceramic tiles really a better choice? but it seems that it's not as nice as homo.

questy

Hi sparkle,
i had china homo tiles, think are the $5 ones, then got pblm initially at removing the wax protection layer. But after hard scrubbing, it turned to be fine(not all tiles hvthis pblm, so must mk sure contractor is responsible to help u scrub if this happens). My own home has the very expensive ones, but i still dun see the diference in both of them yet, my cheaper ones seemed ok to me.

I also dun experience water marks, cos i tired to squeeze as much water from mop, and dun walk on the mopped area, it dried without leaving any marks.

in my opnion, ceramic is easy to maintain, but it'll hv a stick feeling after a while, i'll prefer the cool feeling of homo tiles.

It all depends on ur own preference, both also hv it's pros and cons, so just go ahead with ur choice hoh.

lester

Hi Junee

From what I know, compressed marble faces possibility of warpage like homogeneous tiles, cost alot more, will chip easier than granite if a heavy hard object lands on it.