Anyone can advise how to choose a GOOD & RELIABLE Interior Designer or Contractor

jul

Hi everyone,

I'm presently sourcing for IDs / contractors for my new flat. Would like some advice on how to choose IDs / contractors who are good in terms of :

1) workmanship
2) design
3) service / attitude
4) pricing

Thanks!
happy.gif

J

jess jazz

Hi Jul

I would recommend Intradesign. My new flat is currently reno by them. So far satified wif them.
U can visit their website for clear pix of their design www.intradesign.com.sg

J

jess jazz

Hi Jul

sorry, got the wrong idea. thot u need recommedation.

I think the most important is u r comfortable wif ur ID/contractor. Be careful, on choosing ID/contractors also coz some r veri pushy. Once u sign wif them, they dun even look at u anymore or hold up ur reno.

U can try look around first, dun rush coz it will tend to mis-judge if u rush..Look for a few quotations & compare the amt first b4 u make any decision.

Hope its helps.Happy searching!!
happy.gif

jul

Hi Jess Jazz

Thanks! I'm very worried that I'll be pushed into signing up with them. And as you say, once I've signed, then they'll chuck my reno project aside. Also my first time reno-ing, so can't really tell the difference between materials. Quite worried I'll get 'cheated'.

J

jess jazz

Hi Jul

Try not to make decision immediately. If they r pushy, juz tell them u need to discuss wif ur hubby then consider lor.

Dun worry too much, the more u worry the more u tend to choose the wrong one. Muz b firm on ur own choice. U can see from this thead tat not all received good services from the same ID/contractors. There tend to be pro & con in everything. right??

jul

Oh yeah, I've visited the following. Can anyone give me some comments pls?

1) Frontier Concept @IMM
2) Simply Creative @Marina Sq
3) Home Page @Marina Sq
4) Elicucine @IMM
5) Craftworks @Marina Sq
6) J2O Design @Thomson
7) Bonaventure @Mandai

jul

Jess Jazz,

I guess it's not so hard to reject pushy salespple. I've gotten some practice the last few weeks :p But I'm more bothered that I'm inexperienced at choosing ID. So not too sure what to look out for.

J

jess jazz

Hi Jul

Actually, u r well prepared wat. U can search thru fm SB wheather there's any thead abt the ID u have listed.

so far, I have saw simply creative & home page in this thead. The rest not very sure liao. can't help to much.

jul

Hi darling

U can email me at [email protected]

Hi Jess Jazz

I tried searching, but seems like not many threads on IDs. And a lot of them start talking abt other things rather than the ID in the topic title. Hope by visiting more IDs, I can learn a bit here & there, & roughly piece it together to make a complete picture :p

bookworm

Hi jul and all,

i am also looking for an ID, went to Human space and find the design and the designer very nice..hmm..but i would like to look for another quotation?? Human space is the one and only designer i went to...so care to share.

maybe u can include HUmansapce to ur list.

bookworm

hi all,

wondering anyone has good any good designers to intro, so far i went through all the threads, seems like not many good designers to intro ..

J

jess jazz

Hi bookworm

You may want to try Dave fm Intradesign. Professional & responsible guy. Always update you on how ur reno gog.

They have juz completed my reno, me & hubby quite satified wif them. Design is simple & elegant. Esp their workmanship is good.

P

phoebe's

Hi Bookworm

I engaged Rezt & Relax as my ID. Started my reno not long. Their design is also seen in newspapers also. If u r interested in getting a quote u may post me your email address for my ID contact. She is quite nice and responsible. She can work out on your budget 2.

jul

Hi Jess Jazz & others
happy.gif

Wondering if you guys know how to tell the difference between all the materials used. My colleague was telling me that some IDs/contractors may appear cheap, but that's coz they use cheaper materials. So how do I tell? And how to ensure that it's written down in black & white?

All those terms like laminate, veneer, postform, ABS trimming, etc are confusing me
sad.gif

J

jess jazz

Hi Jul

It's true, u pay for wat u get. Some ID/contractors may b cheaper from others coz the material they use are lower quality.

For my material, I know that my ID is using the good quality material. Coz in the contract that I signed he did listed down where the material come from.

Me & hubby did checked on our titles; tampered glass, stainless steel board; wooden platform, bathroom doors etc. Yes indeed, the material all come with brands & it also stated where it come from.

so Juz let them know, u need them to state in the contract black&white on the material use & where's the material come from. U have the right, coz u are the customers, OK; as long as we r not those nasty & fussy ppl. This is juz small small request shld be alright.(of course, u shouldn't b paying cheap cheap & expect them to give u all good quality).They shld b understand.

jul

Hi Jess Jazz

You mean say "XXX brand laminate" in the contract? I didn't know the material will have brand name on it.

J

jess jazz

Hi Jul

Sorry, not veri good at explaination.

At least, like titles they will have brands & stated which country its come from. As for laminate flooring, actually there's also a few brands like; prego & supereme laminates etc..Some might not have the brands stated but at least they have stated where its made from.(even stated the brands, also cannot understand coz its in Italian) Places like Italy, spain & australia etc are some reputable country which product good material.

Some gd material example for your guide;
Flooring - Italy or Spain
Tampered glass - Australia
Stainless steel board - Japan
arlyic doors - besglas (not sure which country?? but saw their advertisment in mag)
All the above was told by my ID, if I'm wrong, pls correct me ok?

If they cannot promise u the brand, at least they might stated down the country they come from. This is also another way. coz some of the brands might b stop producting, if they promise u the brands & in the end they couldn't get it how??

At least same country can also product different brands. As long as its reputable & durable. Sorry for my lousy long story.

jul

Hi Jess Jazz

Oh, thanks a lot for the info. It's strange how everyday I discover more things that I dunno.
sad.gif

No worries abt the long story. I sure find it helpful, & I'm sure that others will too
happy.gif

So I gather u got Intradesign to do your flat? Where is it, & is it near completion?

J

jess jazz

Hi Jul

glad that my lousy explaination helps
happy.gif

Yes, I engaged Intradesign for my reno. My new flat is at Buangkok (hougang area). Yes, it will be completing soon left wif some touch-ups & some misc installation of accessories.

besse

hi

am currently doing up my place with WhiteSpace Living. Exciting and fun to see the design taking shape.
happy.gif

Find my designer v responsive and creative and nice.. now is only pending to check on the finished product in 3 weeks time.. will prob let you guys know if indeed satisfied with the delivery!! *keep fingers crossed*

Have fun in turning your dream homes to reality!!!

besse

Hi Bookworm

My designer is Derrick from WhiteSpace Living . they are located at Amoy street. You can call for an appt at 6-323-3139..

Hope it helps!!

bookworm

HI all,

there are so many deisgners out there and it seems like no one has a really good experience with the designers here. hmm..

i am thinking of using either Humanspace or sixplanes introduced by someone here.

errggg...it is so difficult to choose.
will be meeting up with them and hope to confirm by next week!

will update u pple.

jul

Hi bookworm

I agree. There are so many IDs, & so hard to find a group of pple using the ones u've shortlisted. And even if you find pple using the same ID, it may not be the same designer in that company! *sigh*

coolman

Hi bookworm,
The idea is that once you feel good about them, and you like their design. They can go ahead and engage one of them that you had shortlisted instead of looking around for more, cos by then you will even be more confused...hehe

bookworm

hi coolman and jul,

know what, the problem is once i sort of like their design , then i went to search for the threads, and i read all the negative stuffs abt them and i get real worried..hahaha..jialat

kind

hi bookworm,
why not you share with HS your concerns? maybe your designer will be able to advise you? i have deal with vera from HS before, i find her very nice, patient and understanding.
happy.gif
but due to budget, i couldn't use her.
sad.gif

coolman

Hi bookworm,
Agree with you but these are just some of the people that had works with HS and they are facing the problems of workmanship...well it all depends on your luck..

jul

bookworm

It's scary when u see all the complaints abt the ID that u intended to sign up with right? I'm not at that stage yet. Just managed to eliminate 5 of the 7 IDs that I've seen. So it's like I dun have much of a choice. Wondering if I shd go thru the process of looking for new IDs...

bookworm

Hi kind , jul and coolman

ya i agree, i like her a great deal, thats why i am seriously considering her but from what i read here, u know all the bad carpentery and stuff, and the workmanship..i get real concerned. i will be meeting her the 2nd time and i think i will share with her my concerns. maybe i will ask her "how many times she will be down at the site per week"

aiya, its so confusing to look for too many ID, yet u are concerned abt their work cos its so exp. i mean we are not talking bat 2 -3 k its 20-40k....sigh..of course we want the best.

but its so difficult to know who is the best choice.

kind

hi bookworm,
from what i know, vera visits the site once a week. (but please please check with her whether this is still true, in case my memory fails me. :p) while during the course of the week, whenever you go down to check the workmanship and such, if there is anything not to your satisfaction, just let her know. i am sure she will help you to rectify the problem.

when she took us to her site visit, the owner happened to be there, i saw how well vera gets along with the owners and also how she notes down the things which the owners told her about the workmanship etc. she is a detailed person so i think you will be safe with her.

actually what matters most is your rapport with her and how well you can communicate. because even for some designers whom a lot of people had wonderful comments on them, there are still some customers who have problem with them. vice versa, even if many people complain about the design company, but you might be the lucky few who gets good service and workmanship from them. it all boils down to the chemistry and luck factor i guess.
happy.gif
good luck!

PS: sometimes don't take the comments posted in the forum too seriously, there are always 2 sides to a story. ;) trust your own gut feel and recommendations from your personal friends if possible.

jul

Hi bookworm

I think that the designer u lisaise with is the most impt component in engaging an ID form. Then again, if your designer leaves the firm, you're stuck with another person who may not be as gd, or much worse than ur original designer.

I agree with Kind that it's gd to get recommendations from frens. My fren is using Simply Creative, so I know that I can trust her honest comments on the designer & co. But I haven't decided whether I want to get them yet. Dilemma dilemma... *SIgh*

kind

hi there,
bookworm, jul raised a good point. vera is good in such a way that she is a stayer in HS, so not to worry that she will run away. :p

jul, i agree it is a super headache to select a good one. especially towards the end when you have to elimate the finalist for the one...

J

jess jazz

Hi bookworm & Jul

Since ur frenz is also having their reno. y not, go view their hse first b4 making any decision.

By viewing their hse, roughly u would know how is their works, design & workmanships. Form there, then u decided which ID u want to choose.

From my experience, by looking at their draft or design, u can't see that the final works would be exactly the same. coz during the reno, there would be a bit of changes this & there.

For example, if they quote u 25K for the whole reno, pls be prepare that the sum would be more than u expect. That's not surprise!!

But I'm willing to pay if they are giving me good quality & workmanships. that's more important, right??

jul

Hi kind

Do you feel like u've finally chosen the ID, then u feel insecure that maybe u shd have seen more? Got more quotes to compare? Is ur decision too rushed?

jul

Jass Jazz

I feel more secure if I see my frens' flats, instead of letting the IDs bring us to their completed works. I mean, if they want to be dishonest, they can show us the nicest flat. Or even use their colleagues' flats to show us.

How's the process anyway? I mean, the quote is based on layout plan right? Then u sign up, pay 10%, then u get to see perspectives, technical drawings, materials right? Then how do they add additional costs?

kind

hi jul,
not really because we have visited a number, around 10+? but those we think are good are only about 5-6.
happy.gif
you have visited about 7 right? are they through your friends' recommendations? if so, i think you are pretty safe. i am more worried about whether my final choice will be as obliging as he is now.

J

jess jazz

Hi Jul

Yes, this is quite true. Normally, they will bring you the nicest flat. Some more u would b wondering, so nice yet the whole reno only 25K, can u believe that??? There might be some hidden cost that they have not showed in the contracts itself.

For most contracts, should be 10%, 40%, 40% then the final 10%. But you can discuss this wif your ID.

Additional costs is mostly incurred during the reno, like sometimes, u might intend not to change ur doors, after seeing the processing, u might feel the doors is matching wif the design & u might choose to change all the doors to match the design. This is some of the example u might incurred. Like this type of additional cost would not be included in the original contracts, right?? Unless, u requested them to add it in. If not, they would issue the additional cost in another bill or separate from the contracts.

btw, where is ur lovenest??
happy.gif