Anyone been to Taipei b4?

lynnie

Dear all

Anyone been to Taiwan during CNY? Will all the shops closed during that time? How many days will they rest for CNY? Sorry for asking so much questions.

I would like to go a week after CNY, am really worried that it will be a ghost town like Singapore during CNY.

lynnie

Hi okeanosmao

Thank you for your reply. I will most probably go to Taiwan a week after CNY to be safe.

Wish you a Happy Chinese New Year!

idono

Hi,

Usually is 5-10 days break depending on companies. As mentioned, shops usually close for a week.

The "busiest" day for them is during the 15th day of CNY. Its also the most happening, a lot of activities all over taiwan. The "famous" 2 is the "Feng Pao", somewhere in southern taiwan usually in "yenshui". Its a night when they fire off thousands & thousands of firecrackers shooting in all direction. If u go, please gear up in helmet, thick clothes + rain coat as fire resistant protection. This is a very risky activity so go with care.

The other one is "tian deng" (Heavenly lantern) where people will put their wishes on lanterns which they'll light up at night and like a hotair balloon, floats to the sky. Usually held near "ShiFen" area in northern taiwan. You can see thousands of lanterns littering the sky during this night. They usually have a tiny scale version of this event in taipei itself.

idono

Oh yar, forgot to mention something tht's most interesting during the CNY period.

You can play firecrackers! haha
happy.gif

and its not those toys that we use during the chinatown light-up. its REAL firecrackers. those tht goes *BOOM* and shoots 100m up into the sky. if you dun mind the cost, u can have a personal arsenal to duplicate our national day....haha

of coz the downside is that do watch out when u walk the streets of small towns during this period. some firecrackers are not meant to shoot upwards but instead they spin and crackles and travels along the ground.

FUN! lots of types of firecrackers :p

okeanosmao

hi idono,

sounds fun yah..so nice..if can, i wld like to go there again..i like the place there.
u stay there for quite some time?

idono

yar, I'm planning to go next yr (ie 2005) during the CNY to meet the 15th day.

Stay for quite a while for work in 1999-2000

icecherry

Hi Idono, i m back from Taipei. the weather is quite ok, except for the occasional winds that make the air chilly. the winter wear there are so cheap compared to singapore. nice too. Rainbow hotel is quite ok, i like the location... so convenient...
the ah zong mian xian is simply delicious...
happy.gif

lynnie

Hi Idono

Thank you for your valuable feedback. My husband is still skeptical about going to a Chinese country during CNY. He is worried that all food stalls will be closed. Our main purpose is to enjoy the food in Taipei. I am really afraid that Ah zhong mian xian will be closed for the whole of CNY.

Do you know how long is the journey from Taipei to Taizhong?

greenie

hi gals, me oso gog to TW durg CNY period... probably departg on 2nd day of CNY... gog wif my hb's company... they said the shops will remain open but i am not too sure... in any case, i dun hv a choice as we r on a pkg tour.. they 'makan' our 1st & last day of the trip liao...

i heard the stuff is pretty exp right? so we juz go there 4 sighseeing & makan at the night mkts?

how much $$$ shld i chg? thks...
happy.gif

hi icecherry, i heard durg CNY it will b very cold.. dunno how true izzit?

greenie

hi lynnie, how many sets of winter wear wld u b bringg there? i am in a fix coz i do not noe how cold can it get.. and so far i only bought a winter coat...

can share wif me where u get ur winter stuff from? i am lookg at gloves, scarves & beanies 4 now... thks...
happy.gif

idono

I think city shops should be open. Not sure about Ah zong mian xian though. actually, i nvr really pay attention during CNY if their shops are open or not. but u can definitely find food.

Taipei to Taizhong by bus is about 3hrs. by train also thereabouts depending on the type of train u choose. by plane is 30minutes. by car should be about 2hrs.

amount of $$$ to bring is highly dependent on individual. but u can note that cost of living there is similar to singapore.

yes, winter clothings are nicer & cheaper there if you go for no-brands.

as to whether cold or not, if u stick to cities, it would not be *that* cold. only if u suay to meet cold-front, then will feel colder. but otherwise, is actually quite fine if you wear a thicker cloth + jacket. but if u intend to go alishan during this period, temp is in the single digits or even zero. if u go hehuanshan, *may* snow only if u're lucky. else is about zero degree. other parts of taiwan towards the south, not cold.

so starz, one winter coat is v. sufficient.

icecherry

Hi gals, the things there are not that ex. the night markets are like our pasar malam here. all selling no brands stuff. but they can be quite nice esp the jackets and other winter clothings.

actually during the day time, the temp in Jan is only around 15 degrees or so. not that cold. (like Genting) you only feel very cold when there is wind. it would be ok if you wear a long sleeve top underneath a jacket. At night maybe you wan to consider wearing slightly thicker clothings as the temp falls lower. its ok if you dun bring enough winter wear or stuff, there are so many at Ximending and the night markets. All nice and cheap. Hang ten, giordano and baleno also selling their jackets cheaper than singapore. the scarfs and gloves are also much nicer and cheaper compared to singapore.

dunno why leh, the pple there wear really thick clothings although the weather is not that cold. some even wear those really thick ones... but quite nice lor....

greenie

hi idono & icecherry, thks 4 sharing!
happy.gif

yah lor, in SIN, winter wear so exp... so in TW can get winter wear at cheaper price? i dun mind no brands lah... who cares as long as i am warm & cosy? heee

i heard we will b gog up mountains or sth, not sure of the itinerary yet. then i heard will b real cold...

icecherry, i guess they wear thick clothings coz got no other chance to wear izzit? heehehe

U2 got sales... i am lookg at those long sleeved in a slightly thicker material....

so i trust u gals tt the stuff is not too exp, then i dun buy so much winter wear... can go there & buy...

if the std of living is like SIN, i think shld b ok coz we r used to it liao.
happy.gif

icecherry

Ya...i bought one back to singapore. those windbreaker kind, but very much thicker lah... it only cost me S$20.00. Saw something similar at Hang ten or baleno in sing. it costs $79... saw the difference? dun think the material is of cheap quality... quite ok lah... and forgot to mention that there are many sales going on when i was there. all winter wear sales... by the time u go there, their winter coming to and end soon. i think there will be more sales...
happy.gif

but if you going to the mountains, maybe get yourself a long john.

greenie

hi gals, i thot when i am there, its still cold & probably winter gear will not be any cheaper than in SIN. did contemplate gettg there but not very sure if i cld get any. now after u gals' reassurance, i think shld b able to get gd buys there!
happy.gif

is long john necc? jeans sufficient?
uhoh.gif

icecherry

Maybe wear the top only. as for the bottom, i think jeans should be sufficient. unless its only a few degrees in the mountains.

tomidia

hi okeanosmao

may i know which tour agency u go with and which airline u took? i went to chan brother's website and saw that it is china airlines.. so i am not too keen...

thanks in advance

greenie

hi ladies, do u gals noe whether the tap water in TW is drinkable? can we boil it & then drink from the kettle? coz i am such a water barrel, cant imagine i gotta drink minderal water daily coz i simply hate the funny taste in them!

icecherry

the tap water are not drinkable. maybe have to boil them first. alternatively u can buy those drinking water from 7-11 or any shops. dun think they got funny smell. i think there's a bit of difference b/w drinking and mineral water. ..

icecherry

Hi Tomidia, u can also take Eva airlines and SQ. Sq would be quite ex. the difference is $300 or so. as for Eva, the tour agency told me that they depart very early in the morning, have to wake up at 4 am in the morning the catch the flight back. that's why i chose SQ. its safer and the timing is ok. it departs at 2.30pm.

greenie

hi tomidia, i am gog wif my hb's company & they hv a coordinator doing all tt... so i am not very sure which agency izzit... i juz noe we r travelling on China Airlines... up till now still not sure of the the exact details. dunno go 4 how many days etc... very screwed up coordination... sigh...

hi icecherry... thks 4 providing the info... guess i hv to depend on mineral water lor..

juz went to buy a set of thermal wear, but its 100% cotton lah... a huge luggage bag & another cold wear... heheeheh.... i KS anot? hahahaha...

idono

Tap water in taipei & hsinchu is actually drinkable, barring any rusty pipes. but some singaporeans still have problems drinking it, moreover, most of them have weird taste.

heh, u can wear thermal wear, but you gonna feel very hot when you're indoors.

okeanosmao

hi tomidia,

i booked frm commonwealth travel on china airlines..heard mostly travel agencies mainly on china airlines..small agencies wld hv eva airlines.

hi starz,

i sent u pics of my trip to taipei during dec. did u rec'd it?
y din the coordinator tell u all everything one?? so irresposible..then how u know when to take leave rite?

greenie

hi idono... i think i will wear the thermal suit when i am gog up to the mountains... anyway i bought 100% cotton, not wool, shldnt b tt hot... hehehe... i juz bring along lah. if not tt cold, then i dun wan to wear lor.

hi mao... i rcv ur email! thks!

yah lor, stupid coord hor? i get so mad too... now is so near liao, still no confirmed details... dunno wat they r doing!

anyway i already applied leave 4 the whole last wk of jan... dun care lah... in any case, my hb oso on leave...

u got any extra info 2 share wif me?
happy.gif

okeanosmao

jojo,

u oso got go mountain? which mountain har?? got alot alot there leh..
hmm..duno wat infos u like leh..unless u ask me lor..

lynnie

Hi starz

I may not go to Taiwan during CNY after all so I cannot tell you wheather I am going to bring any winter clothes.

Anyway enjoy your trip!

greenie

mao, i dunno the itinerary leh...
sad.gif

i only rem some frens mentioning alishan...

hi lynnie... its ok.. thks anyway...
happy.gif

fishball

hi,
just to let you know that I went and came back via China Airlines. Everything is ok, except for the airplane food not so nice, but we usu. eat light on planes anyway. The seats are not cramped n d svc is friendly. With SQ, I've got the feeling dat the crew got this attitude prob twds their countrymen, unless you're ang moh kind. If u want even more legroom, ask for seats at emergency exits, but you can't put yr hand luggage under yr seats cos it's an emergency exit n u can't block d passage with yr bags. However, you can put yr smaller bags on yr lap, they're fine with it.

It think by now, the weather shldn't be too cold. I juz came back fr Twn, was there at the height of the frost, or shall I say, when d weather is coldest. It's coldest in Taipei where we 'buffed' ourselves with a spag top under a normal T, followed by 'normal' jacket n a shawl. Sometimes, we put on gloves, but it seems that no one there put on gloves, so we kinda feel 'outta place'. But I think it's a good idea to put on a face mask - to mask out the smog as well as keep the frost out of yr nose n mouth. We caught a cold there mainly b'cos of d smog, rather than d frost. Guess we're not used to dat lvl of 'unhealthy air' after coming fr S'pore.

cheers!
happy.gif

cin

hi ladies,

Can recommend a 5 star hotel in taipei, that is new, good location, and rooms are not small? am looking to book a hotel for our free and easy trip, and hubby dislikes dingy small rooms...thanks!
happy.gif

greenie

hi fishball, ur info really helps. i oso heard tt svc in china air is much better than SQ... and i noe the food aboard china air is not nice... anyway the trip is juz 4 hrs, so shld b no prob lah... juz gouge ourselves at their night mkts later! hahaha
lol.gif

its very kuz zhang to wear gloves ah? i was contemplating to buy liao... i think i will juz get a pair, in case lah. thks!

okeanosmao

jojo,

wah, alishan?? so far away leh..i din go there cos the tour plan oredi quite pack n alishan seems like 8 hrs trip?? think so, according to my tour guide there.
oh alishan really really v cold..my tour guide mentioned b4 tat some singapore tourits went there not knowing so cold and din bring any sweater there..so they kinda freezing down there..think the temp there is v v low..lower than taipei.
so if u go there, u better get prepare lor..

idono

yeps. alishan is hitting about zero degrees once night falls at this time of the year. The good thing is that u dun hv to wake up so early to catch the sunrise. anyway, the sunris at alishan is rated in the top 50 sunrise location around the world...haha.

The "special" thing about it is that you can see a "double" sunrise. personally, its kinda of a touristy gimmick. the sun will rise above the opposite mountain peak. for a split second, you actually see it dip and rise again. can only catch it if u know exactly where the sun is rising for that day. haha.

alishan is beautiful in the evening. depending on your luck, you can see the "yun hai" (sea of clouds). at the right location, you can see cloud cover below you. almost like a sea flowing over. very beautiful in the evening as the cloud cover slowly changes its color from white to yellowish, to pinkish, then redish.

idono

more info.

In taiwan, there's 2 location that i deem its scenary as beautifully breath-taking. one is Alishan "yun hai" (see your luck). the other is penghu. dun think singapore groups go penghu and its only open during late spring to autumn season.

January is the coldest period in taiwan. after CNY, weather will start to "heat" up.

greenie

hi maomao & idono... i am still not sure of the itinerary yet... dunno which mountains we r gog... juz noe its very cold.... thus i better prepare lor...

wah... the way idono described abt alishan is sooo beautiful.... heee...
happy.gif
hope got chance to go there... btw if we visit the mountains other than alishan, generally its colder rite?

i heard in Jan, TW is the coldest thus i wanna bring extra clothings mah... u all shld look at the lugguge bag we bought! hehehe
lol.gif

idono

Not so kuazhang for clothings .. heh heh. its only TW, not hokkaido etc.

Off hand, the only "mountains" you might visit is YangMingShan in taipei, or alishan cum hehuanshan in central taiwan. YangMingShan is not that cold as its not as high as alishan. yar, alishan/hehuanshan is really beautiful if you're in luck. if not, they're shroud in clouds on your way up(like sometimes Genting highland is).

okeanosmao

yup, heard alishan is v nice..
the other one i went to is lake taroke, not mountains..its caves all ard..v nice,i like there..
yangmingshan, i only went for hotspring bath then no more liao..
proud.gif
heee...
another place i wan to go will be peng hu..thumbs up for tat!!!

greenie

hehehehe... point taken not to b so kua zhang!
biggrin.gif

oh yah, maomao, i heard we will b visitg hot springs... izzit ok to wear bikinis or better to wear a full piece suit? will get burnt anot? hehehe
uhoh.gif

paiseh ah... me so suaku!!!!
lame.gif

i really dunno where we gog exactly... need to chk the itinerary....

idono

you know, the internal flights to Penghu uses plane tht's so "lok" tht for mine, the emergency mask dropped into my lap when the plane hit the ground.

we went in 2 groups. one group fly from taipei, whilst anr fly from jiayi. the jiayi group, they say their luggage compartment burst open when they landed and their plane is propellor type, so noisy..haha. and can only seat about 50 pple. at least for mine, seats up to 200 and is jet-propelled

It was an interesting experience.

penghu u can go island hopping. also some snokelling (but not worth the time IMO). + walk on tides during low tide. there are some sea sports activities + lots of seashells for u to pick. there's actually an island which is covered during high tides tht might make u think tht it's made up of seashells. island hopping, u can take small speed boats. will get wet all over, but really fun!

idono

private hotsprings, dun wear also can. heehee... ;)

me nvr been to taroko gouge yet... hope to go next time.

idono

there are private compartments. In fact, these are more popular in taiwan esp amongst couples. Those public baths are usually quite dirty...eeks.
happy.gif

okeanosmao

jojo,

hee, actually dun wear oso can..cos normally they will assigned private room for couples..for me, private rm for me n hubby..so if both of u not so paiseh, dun wear oso can..
blush.gif
if not, wear watever u like lor..
i like taitung hotspring better than yangmingshan..jus duno y i like there more..mayb when i went yangmingshan, there is power failure there..so quite dark as the sun sets early.

idono,
oh the plane so lok?? like tat will hv accidents anot huh?? took how long to fly frm taipei??
how's the seafood there? nice?saw the tv eatery game show (jackie hosting), they went ard penghu to taste the food there..wah, looks so nice. c liao dripping saliva..
lame.gif

idono

haha, dunno leh, can take boat to penghu too, but think its 4hrs ride. from taipei fly is 30min i think. jiayi is ~50min.

seafood is cheap! but hor, i dunno, i find singapore seafood still more to my taste, esp. the way we cook crab.

jackie is a horrible man lar, tht time he come singapore, eat at the esplanade noble house. now everyday i keep thinking of the lobster he ate there.
sad.gif
think will burn a hole in my pocket

okeanosmao

oh tat jackie hor, cm singapore like only go expensive places to eat..still recommend boat quay jumbo house..wah, there hor will con ppl one leh..

hmm..they got diff way to cook..i went to kaoshiung, there's a island besides kaoshiung where they hv alot of fresh seafood selling there. the seafood there is cheap as compare to singapore. we ate lobster (2 diff ways to serve - sashimi & soup), and only ard S$45 plus per kg..so cheap!!!
then the frogs' leg, they cooked diff style (duno wat's tat call)..it was served in claypot but cooking is diff frm here..all comes in black black frogs' leg w/o any gravy.i personally quite like the taste but my hubby dun like..said it taste funny.

idono

wah...tok about taiwan food make me very gian again. yar, i know the island besides kaoshiung. can intro the restaurant? i think jackie got intro tht one too...heh heh.

okeanosmao

heee....aiya, i only know how to eat leh..din notice the name of the restaurant leh..i think there are a few restaurants there..
tok abt tat, i oso gian leh..the food there so nice..like the jie bian food lor..
u went there for 1 yr shld be enjoying there rite?