Anyone been to Taipei b4?

sunnyling

fishball

keke I join tour leh so duno well maybe idono will know but you can take a taxi to the night market is popular so thk alot of ppl know.

sunnyling

fishball

very easy to find cos is popular mah for Ah Zhong Mian Xian you can see alot of ppl stand there and eat so you know tat the store wun go wrong. Lau is selling Lou Duck and chicken. The Duck wing must try very delicious. if you dare you can try their Duck tongue cos my friend say is nice too. That time me and my hubby buy 5 wings back to hotel and eat still not enough regret to didn't buy more back. kekeke talk abt it also saliva droping
36632.gif

idono

Hi

Feng Jia is "cheaper" becoz its actually a university night market. It caters to the student population there.

And nope, i dunno taiwan tht well. i usually take cab. feng jia is quite a distance. take a cab from taichung train station and just tell the cab drive to go feng jia yeshi. it shd cost u about 300NT for the cab ride.

soap

Hi Idono,

Can you give me some recommendations on where to stay? Was thinking of opting to Meagan's advise of staying at Chien Tan Youth Activity Centre.

Thanks
happy.gif

tupperware

hi Evelyn,

me also stay in Rainbow hotel...hahaha... i would think the standard is something like our Hotel 88 but of cos not so new-looking lah (never been to 88 but impression thru advertisments). But then it is right in the middle of Xi Men Ding
happy.gif

Apparently i think Taipei's hotels are quite expensive.

If any of you going to Taipei can try this TA called Pengiun at #03-57 People's Park, look for Raymond Choo. When we purchased our package, he gave us a lot of maps + tips + advices like where to go, how to go to hotel from airport & v.v... and he also recommended hotels based on our budget.

Their Tian Bu La is yummy yummy...

idono

Hi soap,
Staying at Chien Tan Youth Activity Centre is fine. The other option is that there's a YMCA (or YWCA) near taipei train station.

I think most hotels in taipei is of reasonable standard if its at least 3* and above. U can refer to Travel guides as well. Just dun go to those ulu run-down hotels to stay esp. more towards southern taiwan. may hv perverts

Of coz, my preference is for 5* hotels....kekeke :p

oh, yar, taipei hotel rates are similar to singapore.

sagittarus

Hi Tupperware,

Yeah.. agree that the hotel wasn't really fantastic.. liveable still .. but the location was good though... hehe, very near to Ah Zong Mian Xian.. yummy!!! Its near the subway.. very convinent for me!

idono

Wheres Kilin located?
In general, all 3* hotel in taipei are similar in quality. As someone hv mentioned earlier, their 3* is much like our Hotel 81, but older and may hv a musty smell for some.
In choosing 3*, location is of the most importance. of coz price fluctuations a bit with location (~$50 - $90)
As for 4*, I really can't see the diff betw their 4* and 3* except that 4* usually hv a restaurant which serves breakfast.
If u dun mind paying more, do go for the 5*, use singapore 5* price as a guide. There are a few 5* hotel near Taipei train station. These are the preferred option if you're doing F&E in taipei.

icecherry

According to the tour agency, this Kilin Hotel is situated near Himen MRT station and its within walking distance to Hsimenting and Shilin Night Market. From what i found out in the internet, it looks abit old and very china... actually i dun mind staying in a 3* hotel as i dun wish to spend too much on the accommodation. anyway, most of the time we will be out, the hotel is just a place for resting. An ok one will be enough for me, so long as the place is not too rundown or smelly or anything...
lol.gif

icecherry

does anyone know how much does it cost to travel from CKS Airport to Hsimen area by taxi? heard that travelling by taxi is very expensive in taipei. i dun have any complimentary airport transfer leh...
sad.gif

tupperware

Hi IceCherry

Yes, taxi fare is very very expensive over there. What we did previously was we took an airport bus from the airport to somewhere near our hotel (as the bus does not go to our hotel but somewhere nearby) then from there, we took a taxi to the hotel. Cheaper lor. And there are a few bus companies at the airport, so you just tell them your destination (hotel) and they will tell you where to alight, etc...

icecherry

how long is the journey by the buses? which way is faster? by taxi or bus?

is it convenient to travel by bus? how about our luggage?

idono

Hi all,

Its not possible to be both within walking distance to Ximenting *AND* Shilin night market. Unless you're a verocious walker. They're 5 MRT stations apart (i think). its like walking from pasir ris MRT to bedok MRT. heh heh... not impossible, but not what you might want to do.

Just in case, taxi fare within taipei itself is quite economical for 2 and above pple. No need to try to take bus if no MRT is available, just flag down a taxi.

*but*, taxi from airport to taipei is expensive. its about 1hr ride by taxi. the main reason is tht taxi needs special permit to operate to the airport. the fare is about NT$4000 i think. which is about $200. can try to bargain though I've nvr took cab before. They do have "private" taxi if you know who to call. it cost NT$2000 usually. "Private" as in illegal and they drive personal cars. IMHO, much more comfy than those legal taxi. (taiwanese are very entreprenarial). They'll offer u all sorts of service to take you around taipei & nearby. Very convenient if u intend on going outside of taipei to places like yeliu, shimeng dam, little world etc.
my usual ride from airport is using these private car "taxi", cost me NT$1200, but its to Hsinchu.

In taipei airport, there are buses to taipei. look for feigou (flying dog) operators. The bus hv dalmathians painted all over it. it'll take you to taipei, but not taipei MRT. just drop when you reach inside taipei and flag a cab to take you to your hotel. Depending on your drop site and hotel location, if u drop "accurately", taxi fare should not cost u more than NT$300, ie $15. I think the bus ride itself is NT$400, ie $20, though I'm not too certain on this. maybe cheaper.

idono

oh yar, if by bus, they've compartments underneath the bus to store your luggage, no worries there.

as for comic stores, there are quite a few in ximenting area. look for it.

idono

Buses are usually empty. But i guess it depends on the no. of flights landing at that period of time.
BTW, which flight are you on & landing wht time?

personally, i think is ok to travel by bus. large luggage goes below the bus. hand-carry, just bring it onto the bus wif u.

journey shd be about 45min - 1 hr.

sunnyling

I stay at Kilin Hotel when I go on Nov. The hotel is so old and errier (my feeling hor) So wun recommend this hotel pls go for other hotel if you got the choice. Like what Idono say not possible to walk from Xi Meng Ting to Shilin is very far.

Is very hard for you to find comic shop in Taipei not as what you thk. Cos alot of comic in Sg is translate over there so you might thk you can find comic shop easy. I tot so too but after I went there is so hard to locate a comic shop unless you know ppl there. If not the common place you can find comic is from "Cheng Pin" there is 1 in Xi Men Ting. but taiwan friend say the prices there is more expensive compare to those normal comic shop. But is still cheaper than in Singapore around NT75 to NT85 per book. I buy some back this trip too.

Taxi is around S$50 from airport to Xi Men Ting cos I take Taxi the last trip so I know prices is around there.

idono

if taxis cost $50 (NT$1000), highly recommend u take taxi.

As for comic shop, hmm.... maybe you might have missed it? As mentioned, hardly anyone goes to "Cheng Pin" to buy comics. You can get it from comic shops easily. There is quite a few shops in ximenting area. Ask the locals there. some comic shops will have 2nd hand for sale.

icecherry

after wat u said, i think i would rather stay at rainbow hotel then. my aunt went in july and she said the hotel is quite ok, though a bit small. from the pictures on the web, i also think that the Kilin hotel looks very old... hmmm...
uhoh.gif

folic

IceCherry,

Kilin is a very old hotel. I stayed there about 7-8 years ago and don like the hotel at all. Some rooms don even have windows. It is actually near Xi Men Ding and Taipei Train station. If you want hotel in that area, you might want to ask for Como, which is better. (although still got musty smell).

folic

icecherry

thanks for the info. i have already called up the agency and requested to change the hotel to rainbow. hope its not too bad...

sunnyling

Idono

no ah I go around Xi Men Ting they dun sell comic only rent or sit there and see. I even ask the shop ppl and they say dun have so easier to find and buy Comic is Chen Pin.

IceCherry

Oh Ya Kilin dun have a window for the room. Btw I pass rainbow b4 is also a very old hotel dun look good to me. hmmmmm thk as what Idono suggest you maybe should pay a bit more for the hotel if you dun like to stay at those Ulu hotel.

icecherry

hmm... actually i changed to rainbow cos you mentioned that it's eerie... well, actually i am satisfied so long as it doesn't look too run down or eerie... thanks for the info, guys..

icecherry

Hi guys, got some question to ask those who have stayed at Rainbow Hotel before. Does the room have a bath tub? is the room ok? is it eerie looking?

okeanosmao

hi,

me jus cm back frm taiwan too..first 2 days i stayed in taipei @ asia world hotel. duno where this place is cos i'm wif tour agency.
at night, i walked abt 5 mins to take train frm nanking east rd (change at chungxiao fusing) to ximen station..v fast..only took last than 15 mins..
tasted the ah zhong mainxian..its delicious.saw alot of ppl eating oso..i even took pics of them..hee..
the best part is i like to go their night market eat eat eat....
funny leh, i saw a few comic shops there but can't remember where cos i jus passed by only.
i realised their hotel not so gd as i tot..so far the nicest and most comfortable hotel i stayed is in taipei n taoyuan..the rest is just like our hotel 81..hair oso can be found in the hotel bathtub...eeks..so scary and er xin!!
mayb bcos i booked thru agency so they gave us this type of hotel..

idono

hi,

i think asia world is a 5* hotel. caters specially to the various trade shows held at the world trade center nearby.

heh, i find the ah zhong mianxian interesting too, so many pple just standing around to eat just to get a taste of it.

idono

toking about ah zhong mian xian,

there is also one store by them in a food court just beside the taipei MRT station. Its below the building with the observatory tower (forgot wht the building is called).

You can eat in the comfort of air-con (heated) foodcourt...hehheh... but hor, i find it more "tasteful" to stay around in street to eat it. :p

idono

Someone mentioned 12 degree. sounds about rite for the temperature at end dec.

In taipei, u wont feel as cold. (cities produce more heat).
northern taiwan itself will feel cold, due to quite a high chill factor. of coz, also highly dependent on whether u're lucky enuff to meet a cold front. temp can drop to single digits if so.

ah zhong mian xian is in ximenting.
they hv franchise (?) over taiwan, but harder to describe where they are.

okeanosmao

hi idono,

i was in taipei on 24th & 25th, the weather was cold and raining oso.too bad, its raining when i reached there but rained heavily only 1 day. another day was drizzling.
but funny, when i went nantou area, its sunny and cooling..haha..duno if now its the other way rd.
yup, the temperature is ard 12-16 degrees celsius.

do like the ah zhong mainxian..quite interesting, watching so many ppl standing there n eat.

din no world trade center is nearby.i only know alot of angmohs stay there. besides got shopping centre, ikea oso inside.

idono

yar, i love the cold weather in winter. for some reason, taipei loves to rain. hates it when it rain, cold & wet esp. on the feet.

yar, the world trade center is some walk away, 15min i guess. there's a v. big shopping complex which house 15 cinema screen some 20-30min walk away. wonder if u went there? can't remember the complex name though.

diamante

hi mao!!!!! u r back already! enjoyed ur trip? i will probably be gog to taiwan in jan, durg CNY. i heard the weather is real cold tt time, ard 5 deg... and i haven got any winter wear at all. wanna ask u if u wore any thermal wear inside? how many sets of clothing did u bring? wat r the usual attire? wats the footwear u don ah? paiseh 4 so many qns!
embarrassed.gif

was it a F&E trip 4 u or tour? mine will b tour coz i am gog together wif my hb's company.

was the shopping gd? stuff exp?

actually i wanted to post in this thread later after i get the confirmation to go taiwan, but i saw ur posting so cldnt resist coming in as well.

how much did u pay 4 the trip?

okeanosmao

hi idono,

oh i know liao..isit the shopping centre shape like a ball? its 12 storey high rite? shld be it liao rite?

hi jojo,

no lah, its not 5 deg..its ard 12 - 16 deg..mayb by CNY, wont be so cold liao..i only bring my sweater, those giodarno type..and haha..i still wear sandals leh..i even wear bermudas wor..i still can take it lor cos i like the cooling weather not like singapore..i dun feel cold..but taiwanese will feel cold and they will wear those winter type of clothings.
taipei's clothings is expensive..bags wise if u go ximenting, its quite alright lor. ard S$20-25 for those working bags..
mine is with tour so the tour guide(sort of cos he was oso the driver) told us not to buy things in taipei..expensive..
the only thing u can enjoy there are the foods..yummy!! shld try their nite market foods..its nice..

(mayb shld send some photos for u to c hor)

idono

Hi mao,

heh... didn't realise it, but yar, it does look like a ball now that you mention it.

Hi jojo,

its possible to hit 5 deg if u heng (or suay) enuff to meet a cold front. personally, i dun find it tht cold unless there's a wind. Jan is the coldest.

Hi mao,
wow, 12 deg u wear bermudas & sandals, champion leh...haha. but hor, i did ask some of the mei mei, they say not feel *that* cold, but wear winter clothes to feel & look pretty & sweet ...haha.

icecherry

Wah, i think it will be very cold in Jan leh... for pple like us living in hot countries, 12-16 degrees is considered quite cold liao... the last time i went to Melbourne during their winter, the temperature also fell to 12 - 15. it was sooo cold when we stepped out of the airport, maybe bcos we are not used to the weather yet. we didn't find it that cold only the next day, after we got used to it. i think it will be even colder during nite time in taipei rite? or when it rains?

okeanosmao

hi idono,

hee...ya lor, all i bring is skirts n bermudas. din even bring jeans there..haha..actually like the weather there, cooling, not v cold so can still tahan. but my poor hubby din bring his sweater and wear bermudas somemore so he was freezing...kekeke..
i oso wondering how cm the weather not so cold there wear winter clothes..
my tour guide told me the shopping centre shaped like a ball lor..the things there oso not cheap.

hi icecherry,

yup, taipei nite time will be colder..cold wind..when it rains, oso cold.

diamante

hi mao! yeah, pls send me some pix to view! thks!

wah, u really champion leh! wear bermudas???? i am here worryg over wat to wear and u said u wear berm & sandals!!! hahahaha...
biggrin.gif

i really hope by CNY wun b so cold.... coz dun wan to spend a bomb on winter clothes. u r more resistant to coldness izzit? POWER gal!!!

izzit ximenting or ximending?
uhoh.gif

har? stuff there exp? meaning u din spend much lor? since its a tour, most meals r accounted 4 by the agency rite? hey u 4got to tell me how much u pay 4 the trip?

yah, the way u described the food in nite mkt sounds delicious!!!! yummy!

hi idono, r u calling me jojo? heee... coz only maomao here calls me jojo, or is there another jojo here? heee...
happy.gif

i hope wun b as cold as 5 deg! i cant tahan coldness so well leh.... if its ard 12 to 15 deg, i am happy coz maomao says can wear sandals, then i dun need to wear track shoes! heee....

idono

heh, mao called u jojo mah... so tht's u rite?
happy.gif

for me 20deg is my fav temperature. anything less than 15 and I'll start to feel uncomfortable and out will come my thick clothings.

I dun really like taipei during winter, it tends to be wet 'feel' in taipei. and sometimes, can you believe that rain dun come straight downwards in taipei? there was once i'm caught in a drizzle and the umbrella is useless. rain seems to fly horizontally.

my fav food in winter there is "shao xianchao" -> (hot grassjelly). And shabu shabu, small japanese steamboat.

okeanosmao

jojo,

hee..even genting i oso wear bermuda leh..i love cooling weather..but not snow lor..cos i'll be freezing..y not u bring some thick clothes and when u r there, buy their winter clothes? they hv lots of nice designs..
if u wan, can find infos at the taiwan website.
http://www.tbroc.gov.tw/index.jsp
if chinese translate, shld be ximending?? the mrt station stop is ximen station.
i'll send thru yr email,k?

hi idono,
is the "shao xianchao" nice? din manage to taste tat. oh shabu shabu,lots of it there rite?

icecherry,
saw alot of ma la huo guo in taipei oso. one street can hv 2 restaurants selling but the taste is diff frm our ma la huo guo here.

idono

Hi mao,
Funny thing is that "shao xianchao" only taste nice in winter. When I had it in late spring, its taste horrible. I guess the "niceness" comes from the cold weather.

Yar, lots of shabu shabu around.

diamante

hi maomao... ok thks... i will wait to rcv ur photos soon...
happy.gif

i asked a fren whom is stayg in kaohsiung, she said its colder in taipei than in kaohsiung. and Jan will b the coldest.... anyway i will await more info from the agency as the date draws nearer.

isnt their clothes exp? i heard so, thus i was advised not to get it over there.

heee.... wats the shabu shabu tt u & idono r talkg abt? sounds like 'head lice' leh...
biggrin.gif