Anyone been to Taipei b4?

happy_house

Hi,
Has anyone been to Taipei b4? Which hotel to stay in Taipei? Which are the places tat I shld visit? Is it easy to travel around Taipei and where to find nice food? When is the best weather to go?

meagan

Hi happy, i went to taiwan last dec and i enjoyed myself very much. I think it will be more convenient to take the MRT instead of driving cos it's left hand-drive. The roads signs and maps are in chinese, so it is a bit more difficult to drive around.

We din stay in a hotel, but in one of the youth hostels - Chien Tan youth activity center. It is cheap and it is near the MRT station and Shi Lin Night market too. I think they have suites for couples too. Can check it out: http://www.cyh.org.tw/html/center/JT/INDEX.HTML

Must-go places are shi lin night market, ye liu, dan shui, xi-me ding, and hua xi street. If you have time, shd make a trip to Jiu Fen which is just outside Taipei - a nice quaint town.

While you're at shi lin, remember to look for this stall in front that sells salted chicken cutlet. Shd be quite easy to find cos there's always a long queue. It is very nice! My frens and I couldn't resist buying a few to munch for supper =)

sagittarus

Hi happy,

I went to Taipei late last year... stayed at Rainbow Hotel in heart of Xi Meng Ding.. its quite near the subway station too.. within walking distance.. but rooms are only so-so..

The subways are quite convinent.. I relied on that a lot to get around to places...

Been to those places that Meagan has mentioned in the above post... and if you can, go to Yang Ming Shan also.. try their hot springs..

soap

Hi Meagan,

Feel like going 2 taiwan at the year end. Can I know how much did u spend for yr airticket and hostel stay? Need 2 budget 1st. Btw, I have not been 2 taiwan b4, are the things there cheap?

Oh yah, is the place safe? We are planning a few gals to go together? How is the weather during year end?

Thanks

crayon2512

Hi,
I've been to Taipei..stay at Lai Lai hotel.The MRT is accessible to all places. U can go to Xi Meng Ting for shopping too but tink Shi Lin nite bazzar is much better and crowded.

Yup,u should try the Hot spring at Yang ming Shan. They allow couple to share one room. The water are really hot..remember to bring ur small towel along.

Taipei stuff arent really cheap,they sell lots of cute cute stuff like those seen at 77th Street. The food are unique there. Go shi-lin,they have this nice food ..cant remember wat luo..crispy.

meagan

Hey soap,

I spent abt $2000 in total for 16 days - includes air tix, accommodation, food, transportation and car rental (We drove from Taipei to kaosiong) It helps that we are travelling in a grp so we can split the car rental and accommodation costs.

Among the airlines, china airlines is the cheapest - less than $500. When you're at taipei, can buy their transitlink card for travelling on the MRT. It's very convenient and you need not queue to buy the single-trip tix.

I think taiwan in generally is quite safe. Many places are open at night, but of cos when we take cabs separately, we will keep contact via handphone to make sure we arrive at the destination safely.

Costs wise, yeah like what crayon said, shopping is quite ex. But i find food there cheaper and more delicious - miss the salted chicken and minced meat rice. =6

Let me know if you need more info.

happy_house

Thanks everyone for your feedbacks
happy.gif

How is Hot spring at Yang Ming Shan different from Pei Dou hot spring? Is Yang Ming Shan accessible by MRT or do I have to take the travel package?

taipeigirl

Yang Ming Shan is unaccessible by MRT, there is a public bus that goes up there, but you must first make your way to TienMu. Its a long way up so I suggest you take the travel package up to Yang Ming Shan.

Shopping can be expensive but if you visit during summer seasons, you can go to Sungshan railway station, there is a huge shopping area where women's clothing are sold at distributor's prices. Prices are not fixed. Can bargain too.

If you enjoy outdoor activities, check out prawn fishing. After catching prawns, you get to bbq them on the spot, then follow up by a delicious prawn dinner. They have special ways of baking prawns , with garlic, black pepper, salt etc... ;) yum!

happy_house

Hi Lee,

Most of the travel agencies offer Bei Tou hot spring. Have u been there b4? Do they allow couple to share one room? How is the weather like in late Nov? Will it have typhoon?

okeanosmao

happy,

i booked honeymoon pkg to taiwan too..departing 24th nov.
i've been to kaoshuing b4 so the weather will be cooling..not cold not hot, jus nice.
don't think will hv typhoon leh..

when r u departing for taiwan?

sunnyling

hi gal

I will be depart to taiwan on 19 Nov seem like we will miss each other hahaha. We thking of going Kaoshuing instead of Taipei cos go Taipei b4 but now planning. So any cheap lobang you all have??????? By the way I went to Taipei on Last Nov the weather is good. Is cooling but not cold so thk is a good period to go. This is not my honeymoon trip cos we will postphone our Honeymoon to next year Jan so this just a relax trip going with our friend.

taipeigirl

Hi Happy,

I have been to Beitou hot springs but can't recall much so won't be able to help you there. Sorry, its been a long time. ;)

As for typhoons, that only happens in summer, usually in July, August and maybe in Septenmber, so dont worry.

Weather is november is great, it gets cooler in December and Jan. This tapers off in Feb and March.

My greatest experiences in Taiwan have been:
1. visiting the moutains, the most beautiful ones are HeHuan Shan, Li Shan and Yu Shan. Very scenic, but the travelling can be tiring. In the middle of winter, esp in December, you might even be able to catch snow on HeHuan Shan.

2. Taroke Gorge, this is also very beautiful. Stone mountains.

3. The hot springs are great, there are many in Taiwan, most of them are v.similar so any will do.

4. Kenting. The national park boasts great views of the southern tip of Taiwan. You can literally go right to the edge of the island! Kenting is also a beach resort area, lots to do and little rows of shops, pubs, diners etc. the night market there is also great

Weather there is very hot and sunny all year round. ;)

If you have any other questions on taiwan, I'll try to answer them ;) as I lived there for a while. I'm most familar with Taipei but have gone round the island three times so far. There's lots to do so would recommend anyone to visit! ;p

okeanosmao

happy,
i booked during natas fair wif ctc travel. mine is 6 days ard taiwan..We will start frm taipei, kaoshiung, jiu fen, etc..every day will travel 1 place. tt will be tiring..after tt, we intend to extend 1 more day in taipei to explore. $768-798.
sorry, can't remember the price liao but its within that range.

sunnyling,
yr wedding oso nov rite? mine is on 16th so we plan to go 1 week later then proceed to phuket/bkk. really missed for few days hor.

lee,
it seems tt every pkg to taiwan thru agency needs to tip the drivers n tour guides isit? i asked most of them during the natas fair and all said its a must.
i saw kenting during one of jacky's show. alot of seafd to eat rite? will go explore when hv the time.

sunnyling

Hi Okean

Yaya my wedding on Nov 14 so I leaving on the 19 cos my friend start her leave on 19 so wait for her than we go together.

sunnyling

hi okean

haven't plan my honeymoon ah maybe after my taiwan trip. we still look for Taiwan haven't book thru any agency

happy_house

Hi Meagan,

Can check with you...ye liu, dan shui and hua xi street, r they accessible by the MRT? These places are shopping centres or night market?

Anyone stayed in Paradise Hotel b4? How is it?

idono

dan shui -> yes, accessible by taipei MRT, in fact, drop at dan shui station which I think should be either the last or one of the last station of the line. danshui is right in front of the MRT station, can't miss. Go in the late afternoon so that after walk walk, can catch the nice sunset.
Dan shui got lots of interesting food. Go with hungry stomach & just eat as u walk. Not so much of shopping but rather eating :p Not a shopping centre, just stores along a river.

ye liu -> not accessible by MRT. from dan shui, u can take a bus to ye liu. frequency is about 30min to 1 hr depend no the timing u go. the bus terminate at "Ji Long". from "Ji Long", you can take train back to taipei. set aside at least 3/4 day for ye liu as transport is not so convenient. U got to ask bus driver where to drop. After drop, still hv about 20 min walk. U shd feel like walking into a sea port.
Ye liu is a sight seeing spot, if u go now, its super cold. very intrigue rock formations to see. These rock formations are due to waves crashing against it. So imagine how windy the place is in winter... brrrr.... i feel cold thinking about it.

Hua Xi, err... not exactly by MRT. But can also by MRT (assuming u are you taipei train station). Suggest from taipei train station, just hope onto a cab. Unless u're very familiar with taipei, its cheaper & faster to take cab any where in taipei.
Hua Xi is an alternative night market to "ShiLin" in taipei. Lots of "interesting" wild life food...heh heh. And of coz, its a red light district. Hang on to your man, else, he'll get pulled into one of the shops.

Dunno which one is Paradise Hotel, if u can roughly describe the location, i can tell u wht type of hotel it is.

idono

Noticed u asked about hotspring too.
If u go yang ming shan hotspring, do go only for the high class & ex one. And yes, couple can share..heehee.. otherwise, other cheap or even free ones are very dirty...yucks.

If u hv a choice, the pei tou hotspring is better. cleaner & lesser sulphur smell. I can't remember if its a sulphuric source for pei tou, could be clear water (hence no smell).

happy_house

Idono,

Thanks so much for your info
happy.gif

When was the last time u visited Taipei? U had fun there?

My stay in Taipei is very short, only 4 days 3 nights, so I'm trying to see which are the places worth visitng. I only know the "must go" places are Si Men Ting, Shilin night mkt and the hot spring. What time does Si Men Ting closed? R there any night market there oso?

Yang Ming Shan is not very accessible by the MRT rite? Do u now how long is the journey?

I'm staying in Paradise hotel which according to the agency, it is in the heart of Si Men Ting and within walking distance to the MRT.

idono

Last time i think 2 yrs back. But hv stayed in taiwan for a period of time, during which taipei became my weekend hunt whenever am too tired for longer trips

Xi Men Ting is a young people's place, visit during daylight hours, esp. weekends. U might run into new celebrities performing there. remember look for a "ah zhong mian xien". u'll notice lots of pple staying around & eating mee sua in xi men ting. try it...yummie ;p

if u're the shopping type, u can vist xi meng ting during the day and take MRT to Shilin night market at about 5pm. There are lots of nice food in shilin, but hv to had early dinner to avoid the big dinner crush.

yang ming shan can be reached by a bus (specially travel to yang ming shan) from taipei train station, u can either walk to the train station from ximenting (15 min - 30 min) or take a MRT (1-stop i think) depending on where u stay in ximenting. the journey is about 1 hr. expect a jam on the way up & down. Hv to try your v. best to go as early as possible for the yang ming shan trip to avoid morning jam (up) and evening jam (down). u'll need at least 1 day in yang ming shan. There is a loop bus service on yang ming shan or u can hike. if u go during dec, choose warm clothings. coz if happen to hv a cold front, temp can be in single digits.

danshui is mainly eating lor... spend 1/2 a day there. its kinda tough to mix with ye liu. one way i can think of is take MRT to danshui v. early & catch bus to ye liu. then go back to danshui in late afternoon. coz nothin' much in yeliu except rock formations. then u just hv to skip "jilong", famous for eatery (again ;p)

around taipei, my fav is jiu fen. very nostalgic little town. can be reached by bus from... erm.. . a train station, (forgot the name liao, need me to check out?). it take train to that station & transfer to bus or cab. u route will take u up a mountain & then down the mountain. i've some postcard pics of jiu feng, u wanna me email to u?

in taipei, i like shilin night market (the old one, hvn't been to new one yet). lots of nice food. & i also love danshui, though didn't go so often as 1hr + MRT ride (like pasir ris to boon lay).

ximenting is boring to me as i'm a guy..haha. only go there to see mei mei :p and go "muchuan" ming ge chang ting. other interesting place to visit:- "WuLai", drink tea & see water fall. think there's hotspring there too, couples-friendly as well..heh heh. (prefer hotspring here to yang ming shan).
and another "mt. Kong", also famous for tea i think.

happy_house

Hi Odono,
Do u normally go thru agency or internet to book ur ticket? Is it that air tickets can only be collected 2 weeks b4 the departure date?

idono

I've tried both ways of booking whichever suited me at that period of time. In the past, its usually through agents since its convenient. I just call them and book tickets. Depends on what type of tickets you book. Promotional tickets usually collect nearly immediately. Promo tix usually can't change flight time once booked. Others can collect anytime you want.

Recently, I've tried ticketless booking. So no need to collect ticket at all. Just print out the booking (NW airline) and use that as check-in.

happy_house

I have booked my tickets with an agency and at 1st the agency staff said will put me on the waiting list cos the flight is full on 28 Nov. However, they have confidence that they will be able to get tickets cos their agency is the agent for the airline. Today, I called them and they asked me not to worry, I will be able to get my tickets. Usually, tickets can only be collected 2 weeks b4 departure. Now, I'm a bit scared leh...what if they can't get the tickets and its too late for me to find alternatives.

idono

are you going F&E?
if so, i would greatly advice u to "hedge" your bets & book with more agencies as long as no need to pay up. No agency is a "sole" agent for any airlines.

For me, i prefer to book online if only buying air tix.
Usually, for tix alone, it should not be collect only 2 weeks b4 departure. tht's only for package tour & the timing is imposed because agents want to make sure they get a full team, otherwise, they'll cancel the trip.

Ticketing is done "on the spot" by airlines. hence, if your agent can confirm the ticket, its is already there available to be collected.

meagan

Hi happy, saw that Idono has replied you.

One thing to add abt Yeliu - remember to bring dry clothes and socks. The waves are huge and most of us got wet even though we tried to dough the waves. But the rock formations are really quite cool - worth a visit.

For Yang ming shan, you can consider if you have the time. For me, i felt that it is just all right lah. We had a nice time picnicking there, but it is mostly mountains, trees and lots of walking.

Yeah, idono, i love the ah zhong mian xian! super delicious. In fact it's the first stuff we tried since we arrived in taipei. reminds me of sharks fin soup.

idono

Heh... Nowadays, I keep wondering if they put cocaine in ah zong mian xian. Coz I *always* have a desire for it... even after 2 years.... *slurp*. Now my wife talking about a short visit end of this year, and i keep thinking about ah zhong mian xian...haha.

And wow, u mean waves are that strong during end of year? I went in summer, so its hot & windy. And I manage to walk until the very end of the isle where there's a light house.

sunnyling

Ah Zhong Mian Xian is yummyyyyyyyyyyy miss it so much I am going on the 18th Nov so will go and eat again kekekeke. Alot of nice food at Tan Shui also I eat until super full on Tan shui and have Ma La Huo Guo at night but hor after go back i got diarrhea and cant eat much for the rest of days at Taipei
sad.gif
. I like their Ru Rou Fan also very very nice must try although is very simple. Xi Men Ting is a good place for gal shopping but the price is not cheap same as SG.

Idono

Have you try the Chi Ling Hotspring???? I will be there this trip but duno whether is dirty.

idono

I dun hv much of a tastebud for hot (ie chilli) stuff...heh heh. But did try their ma la huo guo during the cold winter months. They tend to use lots of duck blood...kekeke. Very nice though.

No, nvr went to Chi Ling before. And nvr try any hotspring in taiwan. Generally found most of them "unclean" (compared to japan) and most are sulphurious springs, which is not to my preference. Moreover, in those more "ulu" places, for gals, you'll nvr know if there install any hidden cams.

I was hoping to go during lunar new year (15th day) for the "Feng Pao" celebration. Unfortunately, wife is pregnant. Way too dangerous for her to go. :p

happy_house

Hi,

Wow...everything sounds gd leh...I'm really looking forward to my trip. I heard that Si Men Ting is a gd place for shopping but by late Nov to Dec, they are selling more on winter clothes, so can't buy much oso.

Is it that we have to always give tips in Taipei?

Sunnyling,
My fren went Chi Ling hotspring b4 and she find it quite good, so u can give it a try.

Idono,
Congrats! Is it a boy or girl?

sunnyling

happy

I went on Nov for my last trip the weather is good and the thing sell alright lah not all winter clothing. I didn't give tips leh, give tip for??????????

idono

No need give tips except to hotel porters.

In fact, when u're shopping, u should always bargain. They give better price to taiwanese than to tourist. So you got to try to sound as taiwanese as possible with your chinese. The difference is usually about 20%. More if you're a good bargainer.

meagan

I heard from my fren that they had ah zhong mian xian here in singapore in the CBD area for a while, but the stall later closed. Apparently, it has not caught on with singaporeans here. So sad....anyway, hope they will consider bringing it in again...

taiwan is really a nice place for food. one thing i missed in taiwan is sandwiches, cos i am not used to eating noodles/porridge for breakfast. Luckily, i found a nice stall behind the Shi Lin market that sells egg omelette and hair sandwiches. Delicious! They will fry the egg and ham on the spot and inserted in the toasted bread.

idono

Anyway, I doubt it'll have the same taste.

There is a YongHe TouJiang at Geylang. Taste is so different & certainly not as nice as the real ones in taiwan. Then there is beef noodle (taiwan style) at Liang Seah St. across bugis... *way off* too. And same store, ru rou fan, *yucks*. Dunno why things still taste better in taiwan.

I think u're refering to their burgers?

hippy

Hi,

anybody knows whether it is cheaper to book the hotels online in taiwan or through agencies? I went to some websites and find the rates not much cheaper than those quoted by agencies. Any good recommendations for cheap and good hotels other than those already mentioned here?

okeanosmao

hi idono & sunnyling,

where is ah zhong mian xian huh? both of u keep complimenting ah zhong mian xian, makes me wanna drool leh...
oh where got nice fd to eat n shop in taipei besides ximenting?
i will be extending 1 more 1 day in taipei so can eat n shop..
oh boy, sure got lotsa fats...
rofl.gif

idono

3-star hotel is "livable". not too bad lar depending on the location. I usually stay in 3-star when i travel around taiwan.

nice food in taipei <> ximenting.
lotsa food can be found in shilin night market or danshui.

happy_house

Hi Idono,

Taipei train station is not their MRT station izit? So to reach Taipei train station, have to take the MRT from Xi Men Ting, am I correct?

Have u heard of thse 2 places, Qin Hua Cheng and Wu Fen Pu?

idono

Hi Happy,

Yes, they're not the same. Taipei hv 2 types of "MRT". One is like our MRT, the other is like our LRT except bigger than our LRT. (pai sei, i just notice our LRT last week and i was quite surprised its so small).

The one near taipei train station &amp; Ximenting is like our MRT. The other "MRT" line is eastern taipei.

To reach train station from Ximenting, can either 1. take cab (5min), 2. walk (20min) 3. take MRT (5min, but depends on how long u walk to MRT station).

I'm not so sure about Qin Hua Cheng &amp; Wu Fen Pu, did u spell correctly? Are they shopping centres?

Hi Fishball,
won't try to explore whole of taiwan in 6 days unless u just wanna go major cities. the "shortest" route is just a round island train ride, stopping at major cities.
One of my friend did tht for fun, stopping at the biggest city of taipei, hwalian, taitung, kaoshiung, taichung. took him 4 days.

If u start from taipei, u can choose to go either eastern or western taiwan. when u reach the southern most train station, u can choose to take a 2-hr bus ride to Kenting (southern tip of taiwan). And when u reach northern most station, u can also take to bus ride to explore the northern tip of taiwan.

soap

Hi Idono,

I have booked my holidays to Taiwan with SA tours departing on 22/01/04 and back on 27/01/04 (6 days).

Need some advis from u

Day 1 (Chu 1)
Flight to Taiwan

Day 2
Taichung (Sun Moon Lake), Wenwu Temple, Bei Pu Hakka Village &amp; Feng Jia Market

Day 3
Changhwa (Flower Expo), Lugang &amp; Shilin Night Market

Day 4
Ye Liu Scenic Area, I-Lan Farmstay with farm activities

Day 5
Wulai hot spring, Taipei Marty's Shrine, CKS Memorial Hall, National Palace Museum &amp; Ximenting

Day 6
Home sweet home

I was thinking of extending for 2 days. Any recommendation where can I stay? Was thinking of opting to Meagan's advise to stay at the Chien Tan Youth Activity Centre. Is the place near the MRT station? Where are the places that I shd visit? Pls advise

Thanks
happy.gif

My e-mail is [email protected]

meagan

Hi soap, no worries, Chien Tan is located near to the MRT station. It is the station where you alight to go to Shilin Night market.

Hmm..maybe can spend a day in Jiu Fen? I also like Alishan and Taroko Gorge, but I think these two places are quite far away from Taipei.

Think Idono shd be able to give more suggestions.

sagittarus

Hi happy,

For Wu Fen Pu, you can take the MRT to Hou Pei Shan and then walk around 5 mins to reach. This is not a shopping centre.. the shops there generally sell on a wholesale basis... to get a discount, you have to buy a few pieces at least.. Its quite near to Rao He Nite Mkt too.. however, I did not have time to go to Rao He then... so dun know how was that as compared to Shilin and the rest..

As for Jing Hua Cheng, its a shopping centre.. I took their free shuttle bus service the last time, you just have to wait at a bus stop near a MRT station....think its the Gou Fu Ji Nian Guan station, you have to dbl check on that..

sunnyling

Hi all

I just back from Taiwan, join a 6 day trip really tired cos alway on coach go Taipei, Hualian, Taizhong and Gao Xiong. Will advise those better dun go on this type of trip cos most of the time wasted on coach unless you got more day or you will be like "Zhuo Ma Kan Hua".

Any way for Wu Fen Pu is like a wholesale market and I thk hor the cloth sell there is more "aunty" compare to other night market and the sale there is not as friendly as other night market. For Shilin Night Market is very very crowded so you need to squeeze. Jin Hua Cheng is like those normal big shopping centre in Singapore so my advise is you can skip this cos most of the store and thing there you can find in Singapore. I like TaiZhong Night market is really big and not as crowded as ShiLin and the thing there is better than Wu Fen Pu not so "aunty". If you go Xi Men Ting, must try the Ah Zhong Mian Xian and Lau Tian Lu very very delicious ah yummy yummy. Dun stay at Yi Le Yuan and Qi Ling Hotel cos is very old and the room is very very small. Ok that all I can thk of.

idono

Taichung Night market, u're refering to Feng Jia?
That's my fav. night market in taiwan
happy.gif

There's actually 2 big night markets in taichung, the other one is in a big open car park. Its even bigger than feng jia, lots of things to play, but tht's about all.

sunnyling

Idono

Yaya is Feng Jia Night Market, alway cant remember the name keke. Alot of nice food and thing to buy there and the things there is cheaper than Taipei. I buy a boots at Taipei and saw at Taizhong is around 150NT cheaper b4 bargain so Feng Jia Night Market things is much cheaper. Those go Taizhong must go visit this night market.