Anyone been to Taipei b4?

cin

Hi Chris,

We will be travelling early april. Worried that it will keep raining in taiwan in april...

so no need to wear long sleeves lah?

thanks so much for your help!

chris~m

hi Idono

Xin Zhu is next 2 Miao Li (also middle of TPei & TChong) so juz 2 let u know it's towards TaiChong direction... sorry if i did not stated it clearly... hehehe...
lame.gif

yes, leo foo = liu fu chun
happy.gif

chris~m

hi Cin

dun mention...

ya... dats y ask u wear track shoes better than sandals lor...

r u really afraid of cold? can tahan office air-con? if can no need 2 bring long sleeves lah... 23-28/9*C shd b ok?! 4 me, i'll prefer 2 bring cardigan then long sleeves lor... individual ...
happy.gif

coming soon huh...
happy.gif
wish u a happy trip!

sunjade

Hi, anyone just came back from Taipei recently? How's the political situation there; safe for tourists? Also, may i know how's the weather there now? Any need for sweaters?

idono

The political activities are more restricted to Taipei. The other areas: life goes on as usual. It should be rainy season now and temperature will tend to swing wildly. Having a sweater on hand is wise.

dawn1279

Hi,
Anyone going to taipei in May?? I have booked for the F&E for may but scare won;t be safe as the political situation there will affect us. Hope to get some feedback. Thanks.

idono

If u understand their politics.
Lets just say tht the chance tht it'll affect u is similar to the chance that china will attack them.

But do avoid taipei govt centre

shane

Any idea wat's the weather like in mid may ?

Also any hotel recommendation ? General from the past posts is that all the hotels quite run down ? Worth to pay for a 5* hotel ?

Thks.

idono

cooling to hot weather. if the spring rain season is not over yet, will be wet. If its over, temperature range is quite big. from hot afternoon to cold nites.

okeanosmao

hi idono,

can i check wif u? do u happen to know if there is wholesale centre in taipei? selling those accessories, bags, etc??

chris~m

hi okeanosmao

u can go to rao(2) he(2) wholesale ctr, this place sells lots of bags, cloths, shoes etc... an this is 1 of the place where pple get their stocks to sell in shi(4) lin(2) nite market.

try to go in afternoon and avoid going on mon or tues coz most of the shop will b close ok!

happy shopping
happy.gif

okeanosmao

hi chris,

thanks for yr info.
happy.gif

hw to get to rao he wholesale? by train? are the shops only open during noon time?

sorry, so many qs to ask..
lame.gif

shane

Thks Idono.

How abt hotels? Anyone got any recommendation ?
I'll be there for abt 5d4n. not sure to pay for the hotel or not. but i don't want to feel uncomfortable staying there as well.

appreciate any inputs.
thks.

idono

I know of a wholesale center near the taipei airport (internal flights). Not sure what its called though.

For hotels, if you're there to enjoy yourself, nothin' less than 5* would be recommended. Most guys would not mind a 4* hotel though.

shane

Idono,

Do you think a girl would mind a 4* ? hee hee..
The 5* not cheap. I think i would have to pay abt 800 per person if i go for the 5* hotels
sad.gif

idono

Heh.
If budget ranks quite high in priority in your mind, then go for 4* hotel :p. My girl would not mind *if*, I'm with her && Toilet is clean with hotwater. haha
happy.gif

okeanosmao

idono,
the wholesale ctr isit the world trade centre?? was wondering if there sells alot of accessories,bags in WTC?

can raohe mkt reachable by train?

shane,

i wldnt mind a 4* too if my HB go for tat but provided the hotel is clean.

chris~m

hi okeanosmao

i also duno can rach by train or not, coz i only went there once and it's my fren who drove me there but i fall asleep in the car
proud.gif
so din notice any train or not nearby the wholesale ctr... i only know dat is call rao he wholesale ctr

but after that we did went to the famous rao he nite market which is abt 10mins drive from the wholesale ctr, and the nite market there think hv train station (forgot, duno izit song shan station)

dat time i went there early noon ard 11+ so not many shop open yet.

u wanna get stocks from there?

idono

Hi Mao,

No, the WTC is similar in purpose as our Expo. Hence, no wholesales there
happy.gif
. Unless Robinson wanna have a warehouse sale..haha. I've nvr been to the wholesale center too. But Rao He rings a bell, not sure if tht's the place. But the wholesale center I know of isn't reachable by train. Hv to take train to the stop for the airport, then grap a taxi there. You seriously wanna go? I can call my taiwan friends to inquire.

shane

Thks everyone, then 'll save some $ and go for a 4*. We are quite firm on Riverview Hotel. Is it gd ?

Also, I'm gg for a 4D3N package. There's a 1 day tour and a 1 day F&E. Do you guys think it's enuf ? Should I extend another day ?

Thks.

okeanosmao

hi chris,

yup. tot of taking stocks frm taiwan but preferably frm a wholesale ctr.
oh i tot raohe nite mkt same as raohe wholesale..hee..so its different..but its near to raohe nite mkt?

hi idono,

so the WTC is like when there's event, there will be sales..if no, nothing there? then wat abt the one u mentioned which is near the taipei internal flight airport? hw to go?
can trouble u to ask yr taiwan frens?? yup, intend to go there wif a fren.

chris~m

hi okeanosmao

both r diff place... but in the same area
the wholesale ctr more quiet... mayb becoz that day i go is too early and it's drizzling too?!
but really lots of youngster's clothings n bags etc....

the thing is i can't contact the fren who drove me there coz he go US liao (i only got his add but dun hv tel nos)...

missylan

Hello all, have been reading this forum. I'll be going to Taipei this 23th for 4 days F&E.
The period isn't long, can I know beside RueHe night market or Shihlin market, where can I go?
The weather now is like Singapore, any nice cold spring there?

Kindly intro, this will be our first time there. Any good not to be missed?

Thank you very much

90545.gif

missylan

Hello, leaving on Tuesday 25th, can I know what food not to be miss in Taipei? If possible the rough location or the signboard... Thank you very much...

94870.png

idono

ah zhong miang xian
at ximenting, there's no sign, just lookout for where pple stand around slurping a bowl of mee sua.

missylan

Hello,
I'm back from Taipei. I am quite disappointed with Taipei. As I'm under Free&Easy as we're attending meeting, I've did some research on the places of interest. Went to Taipei 101, Xi Men Ting, New York New York and Shinlin Night market. Taipei 101 is grand, much grander than Takashimaya. The Shinlin night market is worse then Singapore Pasar Malam. Maybe is the different culture etc, we can't bear to sit at Shinlin Night market to test out their different types of food. But I wish to. It's too warm and there is a strong smell of raw pig intestine! My hubby almost vomitted! AT Shinlin I didn't find places to shop for bags or clothings... Maybe changed liao...
Can someone tell me why it is not allow to throw in toilet paper after using? Instead, we should be throwing into their bin.

96765.gif

greenie

hi missylan,

u were like me whom was disappointed wif my trip there when i went in Jan.

It was a far cry from wat i expected. i was ok wif the smell though. yah, its the pig's intestine smell. and strange enuff, pple likes the smell and can bear eatg stuff from tt stall! i was put off by the smell too.
sad.gif

when i went there, the weather was very cold, abt 8 deg C... so slurping hot soup was a pleasure. Taipei is hot now? mayb tts wat adds on to ur frustration.

I din noe we were not allowed to throw toilet paper in the bowls leh...
uhoh.gif

missylan

Hi starz,

Yeh, the weather is like Singapore but not as humid. I thought that Taiwan's food should be as tasty as Singapore. But their food is more like plain plain taste. Like SIngapore, we've Chicken Rice, Laksa... stronger taste. But I like their Ma La Steamboat, cheap also...

Yup, cos my hotel toilet stated that no toilet paper should be thrown into the bowl. And notice some public toilet with "SOILED" toilet paper in the exposed bin. Singapore's is for santiary pad, but theirs are for soiled toilet paper and pads.... weird enough!

okeanosmao

missylan,

for me, i quite like taipei there. will want to go again. to me, i quite like the food there though some looks weird to me. But wat i dun like is their steamboat. the soup got a funny smell n i noticed tat their steamboat food not so fresh.
as for shilin mkt, i went there in nov last yr, n most of the stalls are selling winter clothings. to me, its jus like those in KL, chee cheong kai.

its seems v weird to me tat u can't throw toilet paper inside the bowl? my hotel did not stress on tat leh.
which hotel r u staying?

missylan

Hi okeanosmao,
What a long nick, had to glare at the screen for quite a while... Heehee...

The Ma La steamboat was recommended by the hotel's staff. My hotel isn't posh, it's Cheng Du hotel at Xi Men Ting. He recommended me "Fei Tian Steamboat" near the Xi Men Ti's station entrance. The buffet is cheap! NT$300 per person. They have only Ma La soup base and the Qing Tang soup base. Their Ma La soup is different from what we ate in Singapore(House of Mao or Magic of Chong...)
Theirs is much more spicy... We cannot tolerate then have to mix some Qing Tang into the Ma La.... But after that we are running to the toilet! Heehee... The crab is fresh... Can still remember the sweetness... I tried their Oyster mee(the soup base so tasteless) and their Ah Zhong Mian Xian(tasteless also, prefer Geylang's Taiwan Mian Xian at Lor.9)... Tried their BBQ corn. They will apply some chilli and BBQ sauce, the smell is nice but taste is bad cos the corn has no juice anymore. Completely dry! The rest not tempted to eat.

Yah, I told my hubby that after doing BIG business, cannot throw toilet paper into bowl then throw where? Then I understand that we have to throw into the small plastic bin next to the bowl. If doing BIG business and throw into the bin, then the toilet be stink like hell mah... You take a good look at their public toilet when going to Taiwan again. Take a look into their bin inside the toilet cabin.

I can confirm no throwing of toilet paper into the bowl is becos the last night in Tapei, the bowl was strucked, water nearly over-flowed! Maybe their flush not strong.

okeanosmao

missylan,

dun nid to type my nick so long lah..jus okea will do..hee..

i hvn try the ma la steamboat though, i guess my tour agent got budget for 3 meals. i only took those normal steamboat which i hate the most.
i quite like ah zhong mian xian leh..i put chilli oil inside and eat. nice leh..not bad mah. i din try the geylang's one b4 so duno hw is it.
BBQ corn? i din cm across this leh..oh when u were at the shilin mkt (selling food), did u see a long q of ppl queueing for the chicken chop? v big pc leh n selling v v cheap. din get to taste tat though.

i went taiwan for 6 days, 1st day in taipei. nobody ever mentioned abt the toilet paper issue lor..i've been throwing it inside the toilet bowl or rather some squats one throughout my stay in taiwan...
geeks, lucky its yr last day there. if nt, hw to stay on wif the toilet bowl overflowing wif water. the thought of it makes me puke ah..

missylan

okea,

Maybe I like stronger taste for my food. Normally I dun put chilli into my food cos I like natural sweetness. You can find the BBQ corn from those portable cart only at night. I found mine in Xi Men Ting. Eee... like deflated corn or old corn.

Yeh... yeh, saw the BIG piece of Da Hao chicken chop but too full, not tempted to buy. That is Shinlin night market right? But I heard from my friend that there also selling clothings and heels but I saw none... Did I miss the area? I walked further down the stretch till I walked past area selling pets and till I can't see anymore shops.... I was so tempted to buy the igauna... Heehee... my hubby said that it was so disgusting... Cute what!?!

greenie

hi missylan,

i jua saw the weather forcast for Taipei on the news yest.... b/w 24 & 34 deg C! so warm! *sweat*

hmmm, i find their food so-so only. not tt fantastic. but i noe okeanosmao and some other forumers here enjoyed TW very much. thus i was very disappointed when my trip did not turn out tt great.

i like their chix cutlet and this onion crackers tt was salty! hahaha... hmmm, and tried the fermented beancurd. other than tt, i din really try any steamboat. i 4got to try ah zhong mian xian as well. since my trip was a guided tour, our meals were mostly taken care of. It was juz norm rice wif dishes most of the time. the meals were not impressive at all.

its funny leh, i din notice such a toilet sign thru'out my stay leh... they juz improverised this izzit?
uhoh.gif
yah lah, if after u do big business, how on earth they expect pple to throw the paper to the bin? *scratch head*

eeeeee... u wanted to buy the iguana???? *shivers* i am soooo terrified of the creature....
sad.gif
when i was in shilin mkt, i juz saw this miniature small puppy 4 sale... its so cute...... was so tempted to buy it but we wondered if it will outgrow of the size anot.

hi mao!!
happy.gif
r u planng a trip there again soon?

okeanosmao

missylan,

yup, the big pc of chicken is at shilin mkt there. i wanted to try too, but saw v long q n not enuff time oso. so din try..then ltr back in singapore, saw the taiwan TV show where they intro gd food in taiwan. this Da Hao chicken was being voted lor..then i kinda regret nvr try..haha..
there are some alleys u can go into, sell alot of clothes n shoes..jus like our bugis village..sell those funky types.
ha, u tempted to buy iguana?? i was tempted to buy a small cute black pig..duno if its pig but looks like it..v v cute...my HB quickly pull me away.
lame.gif

starz,

how's yr preparation? taken yr PS?
i oso found tat most guided tours meal r not tt fantastic..jus normal home cook dishes which we can oso eat in singapore. its only those selling in mkt tt i like most. most of the agency they hv a budget to work on lor. like mine, the tour guide cum driver told us budget for food is less than NT$200 each per person (shld be ard this). so when we wanted to eat seafood (lobster, prawns) in kaoshuing, my HB n me have to share the extra cost with another couple..so its like we r treating the tour guide.
lol.gif

mayb i'm going wif my fren lor..hv to see the situation first...ha..

greenie

hi mao!
happy.gif

my prep? hmmm, in the midst of finalising my WG only.. hv not even started in EG, so PS not so soon. i think it will b in sept.
happy.gif

yah, i agree wif u tt the meals wif the tours grp r not fantastic. in fact, i feel they shld bring us to eat authentic food, or even try out their steamboat mah.. so wasted...

i think the guide told us our cost meal per pax is abt SGD$5 per meal only.... no wonder our meals so-so..

hey, do u noe there is this stall at far east plaza b1 tt sells the extra big chix cutlet? i saw a logn queue the other day.... not cheap leh... 1 piece for $3!!! in TW, we can get a piece for abt $1.20, if i rem correctly.

how is ur BB project? any progress?
happy.gif

okeanosmao

starz,

so where do u intend to go for PS?

actually the steamboat the tour guide bring us to oso not v nice. as i mentioned, the food nt fresh and got 1 smell inside the shop. i think tat steamboat is the cheapest lor..cos i saw got promotion banner outside the shop..
far east? i din see any leh..i think not worth to eat big chix chop here. if overseas, n the exchange rate hor, sure cheap one..

BB ah? so far no news leh..c if i can get rooster BB anot lor..

idono

its tough to know which are the nice food more suited to our taste buds. usually, its trial & error until u find the right ones.

i do agree tht the taipei taiwanese prefer their chicken "cutlet" salty. soemtimes, they just throw in a whole handful of salt.. .eeks. :p

greenie

hi mao,

i haven thot of where to go 4 PS, but i think one of the plcs will def b sentosa.
happy.gif
i dun really wanna go fullerton. where did u go 4 ur PS? i 4got liao.

wat idono mentioned is correct oso... depends on trial & error... but sian leh... most of the times, its the norm dishes... their types of veggies is very diff...

got... u go far east, its near to a fruits drink stall. u see the queue, then its tt stall liao. its not cheap, but i wan to try lor. see if its as nice as TW.

gd luck 4 ur BB project. u r still young, got chance one.
happy.gif
still in time 4 a rooster BB.

idono, i like the taiwanese style coz i like salty food!
lol.gif
but sometimes its so salty until i cant tahan oso. tts why the guide said kidney prob is very prevalent in the country.

idono

I went to a old hse behind orchard road + sentosa for day & sunset shoot, then its off to fullerton for night shoot. btw, which studio are you with?

taiwanese vege seems limited to me (me not vege lover though). but they love bamboo shoots, which smells yucky to me.

next yr is rooster yr? oh.. heh, i didn't noe
happy.gif

i can't stand salty food. so am v. careful with my choice in taiwan
happy.gif

greenie

so wat time did u go sentosa? i heard the nite location muzt be brightly lit to facilitate shooting?

i am wif Golden Horse Awards. How abt u? when was ur wedding?
happy.gif

yup, next yr is rooster...

hahaa, i love salty food... but i cant match the standard the taiwanese have... its much more salty than my standard!
lol.gif

missylan

Hi all,
I have a friend whose sister is living in Taiwan... She said that Taiwanese practice is not to throw toilet paper into the toilet bowl....

104962.png

okeanosmao

starz,

i went to lalang field & changi beach (i think so)..both r not my choice, but becos its raining tt day so got no choice lor..turnout photos not nice..i chose mainly indoor shots..

actually wanted a monkey BB but i guess so long got BB its gd enuff liao.

i oso can't salty food. moderate will b gd. ya lor, i oso notice TW not much of vege. oso got those funny vege which we dun get to eat here..

idono,

bamboo shoots? i din see any of these there..but i knw bangkok has alot n it smells really yucky..hv to hold my breath there.

greenie

missylan,

i really dun rem this practise leh. okean & i nvr kena this... then they really throw into a bin?
uhoh.gif

maomao,
i saw a few fren's PS, and i think OD shots looks better. i oso pray 4 my turn will hv gd & nice weather.

yah, as long as got a BB, doesnt really matter which yr izzit.
happy.gif

oh i rem i tried the bamboo shoots as well. i din like it but i was too hungry... juz gobble up watever they hv. i skipped meat items coz sometimes they look inedible... and i wonder how they prepare! eeeee....

okeanosmao

starz,

for me, i'm disappointed wif my photographer lor..it shld be OD is more nicer but my case, his OD shots really terrible. even my frens who went wif me for selection oso commended v terrible..

ha, tink we sidetracked liao.