Any teachers here?

bonjour

Hi deeply troubled girl,

I've checked with my school SA before. As my ROM and customary are both held within the same year, i was asked to take a "Paid marriage leave" for ROM. Meaning, i still have 2 days of "Paid marriage leave and 3 days of UPA marriage leave.

As for the 3 days, yes, teachers are entitled to it because, as we know, gov encourages ppl to get married.

In any case, if you insist, you will definitely get wat you wan.

Hope this helps.

freshpoison77

hi bonjour,

never ever use "entitled" cos as my principal would say "it's your priviledge, not your entitlement!!!"

it's very dangerous to insist cos if u get in the bad books of your sch leaders, it will definitely affect ur ranking, grading and eventually promotion prospects....

T

teach

i do agree that it depends on your principal, initially, i took only 3 days UPA leave but my very kind P and VP told me that i could take another 3 more days of marriage leave. So in total, i took 6 days!! But my friend in another school somehow was only 'encouraged' to take 3 days, which was what she did, so...it all depends!

D

deeply troubled gal

Hi all,

Thanks alot for the advice ! So if I were to apply for 3 days UPA, I cannot travel overseas.....sob sob...which mean I will have to postpone my honeymoon till end of the year.....will they check on us to see if we are really in spore during our UPA leave? hehheee...tinking of sneaking out of spore for a short break.......

when we apply for the UPA leave, do we need to give them any documentory proof? my customary is abt 2 yrs from my ROM date.......Many Thanks !!!!

K

kk

Hi Teachers,

I am currently a trainee teacher in NIE and my customary is in Oct and it is a Sunday. How possible it is for me to apply for UPA right after the customary, i.e. Monday? I guess i just need 1 day rest, dun need 3 days.

If i go on a honeymoon in Nov/Dec NIE school break, do i need to apply for any type of leave? Or inform MOE about it will do?

K

kor

Hi all,

I have just been offered a contract position with MOE. Starting in this Sept. My customary and ROM fall on the same day. It is on sun in oct too (same as kk). I asked the MOE officer on the briefing day. She told me that I can take UPA for 3 days. But does that include sat and sun? She din mention about the marriage paid leave.

By the way, does MOE usually post the school nearby your home? Thanks

freshpoison77

hi kk,

i think ur UPA for wedding muz include ur wedding day.

hi kor,

yep, UPA includes Sun and Sat. For example, if u want leave fr Fri-Mon. u muz take 4 days, cannot take 2 days on fri and mon cos UPA for wedding muz be together.

D

deeply troubled gal

Hi KK,

I juz have a naughty thot...since u need oni one day....maybe u can try to get a MC ( hmmm....juz cost $10 per visit)...... ;-)

I thot no need to apply leave if it is during school holidays but have ensure that there is no other activities that require u to go back to school......

mint

Hi,
As Sunday is a non-working day, the 3 days will exclude Sunday. I called MOE to check on this when I applied for my UPA (marriage leave) last year. So my leave was Fri, Sat and Mon. Hope this clears up any doubts.

starlight

Hi ladies,

i am a newly trained teacher who has just been posted to a sec sch.
quite troubled cause already signed up for a bridal package and found out the photographer is only free, 3rd wk Nov which is before the end of year holidays. dec photoshoot wld be too late as my customary is in jan.
is it possible to use one of the days of UPA or marriage leave for the photoshoot?
do sec sch holidays usually start earlier than pri sch?

thanks!

mint

Hi starlight,
I'm a pri sch teacher so I may not be right on this. I do know that sec sch hols start earlier but it's cos of the 'O' levels. You may be down for invigilation so not exactly hols yet for you. Do check with your school on this. I also doubt that you can take UPA for photoshoot.

M

misshuang

Well, although the holidays are earlier, you still need to go to work and be in school for at least a few hours (can't remember how many) unless you are doing invigilation elsewhere. But the time should be flexible, so maybe you could go to school earlier so that you can go off earlier too.

starlight

Thanks mint and miss huang,
was thinking since we are offered up to 3 days of UPA for marriage I could utilise one of these days for the photoshoot.
since it isnt possible to change the shoot and it takes the whole day, leaves me no choice but to take no pay leave.

hope my principal wld be agreeable. juz dun wanna create the wrong impression since i've just joined the sch.

mint

Hi starlight,
I think not so easy to take no pay leave. It's usually for looking after family or furthering studies. Not so nice for me to say this, but maybe you "keng" mc?

bubblegum

Hi teachers! I am tutoring an N-level student on English. Am running out of ideas to bring new interest in the subject...any cool suggestions from you? Many thanks in advance! ;)

star

hi teachers and all,

was wondering if anyone of you are thinking of doing Masters? if yes, pls leave me your email here!! Thanks!!

B

boxie

Hi I'm a teacher too, but im teaching in the special field. I dont teach children who are gifted. I teach children who gov has neglected for so long juz because they will always be a liability to the society. Its very sad to see that mainstream schools get more than enough funding for their children and teachers and on the other side of the spectrum, we always haf to worry about budget constraint. I dont haf to set papers for exams, i dont haf to mark worksheets or exercises, i dont haf to worry about my students failing exams, i only haf 3 students. Many people i know always commented that WOAH..3 only???? Ur life must be ez manz..YEAP..to these people i sed..of coz my life's a breeze:D

miumiu

Hi all..

I'm also in this business called Moulding the future of our nation ....

Teaching Biology

I have wanted to do my master... actually wanted to try the postgraduate scholarship offered my MOE... went for their briefing...haizzz...not eligable becos i not yet 3 yrs in service :<

berrie

hi there,

was wondering if any of you here are interested to give tuition/be tutors? But we're looking at north area or sengkang. Pls leave down your email address here if interested ok?
happy.gif

destitonia

hi ladies,

something not very related to the tution topic, but just want to get some idea.

i'm holding my wedding end of this year. There are about 90 staff in school. I intend to invite about 10 of my close colleagues and P and 2 HODs only. I do not have church wedding...what would be a good way to settle this? Because some of my colleagues that i want to invite are muslim and i dun want to pay double by inviting them for dineer..

Any suggestions??

obride

hi, i'm looking for sec 4 prelims e.maths papers.... anyone wiling to share? i'm willing to pay postage or meet up at a convenient place to collect. Please email me at [email protected]

Thanks alot

obride

great!! i'm at katong. i have only geylang methodist.... only have/and need E.maths papers.

i'd be out of town tomorrow till tue,.... write to me and let me know where u want to meet up and i'd get back to u on tue nite or wed morning. k?

obride

hi pinkapple, i'm back liao...... din receive your mail..... did u manage to get the Emaths prelim papers? i really want my student to have lot of practice.... we have exhausted allt he 10 year series qns liao..... so she asked me if i can help her find more papers besides the ones her school teacher is gettting her.... waiting for your email....

xoejy

Hi Berrie.
I am interested in the tuition assignments too. i am currently a trainee teacher, will be posted to a secondary school next year.
please email me the details to [email protected].
thank you

passionate30

Hi all,

Is there any Chinese teacher teaching JC/high schools in this thread?

I would like to understand more about the reaction and impact after government has announced that Chinese's result is no longer considered when student enrol to the U. I just applied a teaching post to MOE to teach at JC/secondary schools. however, I think the chance I am shortlisted is low as I heard some friends said MOE might transfer some JC teahers to secondary. MOE might not recruit Chinese teachers this year. Is this true? Mind to share??

mint

Hi all,
Would like to find out if there are any teachers here who took the half load scheme offered by MOE. Thanks.

explorer

Moi thinking of doing relief teaching.....
Are there any relief teachers out there who can share your experience and advice?
Thank you belly much.

popie

hello explorer,

wat would u like to noe abt relief teaching? actually i relief teach while i was waiting for my A-level results quite a number of years back. with regards to the procedures and pay, i am not too sure abt the current system and rates.

well as for teaching experience, i would say tat it really depends on the sch which employs u. cos some relief teachers are called up on an ad-hoc basis. as for me, i was asked to relief teach for a stretch of 3 months, and was assigned a form class of my own. so in terms of responsibilities, i had much more to handle than a ad-hoc relief teacher.

hope tis helps.

bethan

Hi janey,

I took it before - that's before they allow B3 in GP to pass as a criteria.
There's paper and oral assessment during my time (5,6 yrs ago??):
Paper: they are mostly MCQ questions I think. The most difficult part was the vocab. The distractors are very tricky - extremely close. Either that or the words are rarely heard of. Most of us anyhow chose.

Oral: I didn't make it for this one. You're given 10 mins to look at a script. Then you'll be led to another room. You're required to read a script aloud into a radio to test your reading skills. So what you need to do is to read a question like a question, and a statement like a statement. You know, the sound goes up at the end of a question.
Another part of this oral assessment is to suggest ideas on what to do for a scenario, eg. what can you suggest for a reading campaign or TAF program? There'll be many other pple speaking at the same time, so even when you're wearing your headphone, you'll hear them very clearly. My friend suggested that I could listen to other pple's ideas first before speaking. But it was difficult for me bcos I've problems with ideas.

I'm not sure if they have changed the type of questions or assessment tho. Hope this helps.

janey

Thank you Life!!

Your info is very useful to me. I think the test now is still similar, from the information sheet they gave me... Hope I can pass...

rubypcm

halo teachers....
anyone here interested to teach my son in Pri 3? i am staying in woodlands. looking for tutor willing to teach on wed or thurs night from 8 to 9.30pm and sunday from 12.30 to 2pm.
focus is on eng &amp; math. Will be good if you can teach Science as well. If you are keen, can email me for further discussion, thks alot :p
[email protected]

yoz

Hi All,

I was just wondering any of your teacher friends who quit teaching after serving the bonds.. what kind of jobs can they land themselves into after quiting?

mshoon

Be a pre-school teacher or full time tutor or set up a tuition centre...

I am still a NIE trainee...Long way to go to finishing my bond...haha..
biggrin.gif