Any help on teeth whitening for naturally yellow teeth?

buffy74

Hi all,

has anyone got naturally yellowish teeth and had gone for whitening b4 at dentist or DIY? does its works? cos i've read in some articles that it only works for superficial stain from coffee, cola etc.

hope u would share your experience with me. thanks
happy.gif

jas_lim

for natural yellow teeh you can't make it as white as shown in the ads however, it can help to make the teeth look better...

chelle

Hi jamie, if u want to make it white, you can go for bleaching... though most are about $900-$1500... but it can last you for 3-5 years.
happy.gif

gs1979

Hi galevo,
I dun think clevewhite can works. I oso hv naturally yellowish teeth. And my dentist (from Q&M) advise me to go for bleaching. it cost abt $350. U can go n check it out. My ROM is in May n i b doing it next mth.

magix

actually i suggest going direct to a proper dentist if u gals r really keen on whitening. I did mine using the conventional way of using a custom made tray 4 my teeth and gel, paid ard the same amt as u gals and i saw the results in abt a mth. I can maintain for almost 6 mths before my teeth starts to yellow again.

chelle

That's true... Cleverwhite would probably work IF you had done a proper whitening... it's like maintaining it... rather than whitening it. However, the dentists i talk to usually say it doesn't work.

Ginny: you gotta be careful... bleaching in this case can cause sensitivity and if your gums are not used to it, it can actually cause severe pain. I know also people who tried Britesmile having the same problem... they had to go on painkillers for 2 weeks even! So there's a risk there.
If you guys interested i know of a clinic that has a system that doesn't cause sensitivity. Do pm me if you wanna know more.
happy.gif

hammie

Hi, juz to share. i used to have brown stains the the bitting edges of my 2 front teeth and white patches on them. Went to the dentist last year, she said it's because when i was young, i took in too much floride (i can roughly remember swallowing toothpaste when i was young - gross). she said this can't b helped by normal whitening as it will make the white patches even more obvious. so she suggested grinding off the top layer of the teeth and cover it with white fillings (fillings used to cover decay holes). Lucky she was quite skillful. Till now my teeth still look good and whiter than b4. =)

magix

agreed with Michelle that Bleaching will cause sensitivity of the teeth and gums, i experienced that. but i was pretty ok after my dentist switched me to another lower dose of the bleaching gel.

i wasnt that serious to have to take painkillers to curb the pain. 4 me, when my gums r sensitive to the gel, i juz stayed off for a few days and resume later, at a shorter time.

chelle

tobebride: teeth whitening isn't a permanant thing. Most with good maintainence, can last u to up to 5 years or so. :D INitially your teeth will be white but it will change slowly during the next few years. But it can be a good investment for 2-5 years. :D With certain maintenance kit that comes along with the use of the system.
happy.gif
It can be as expensive for up to $1400... So far i only know one clinic which allows payment by installment though.
happy.gif

beebeegal

hi michelle,

is it possible for u to post your recommended clinic here for the benefit of all those interested parties instead of us pm u. it seems like u r not comfortable lettg everyone know abt tis clinic. well, i came across ppl who recommended certain skincare products in the forum who r actuali advertisg their own biz but afraid ppl might know their real identity tat's y they kept low profile by askg ppl to pm them. btw, i dun mean u r one of them, am juz curious y so many prefer pm to posting here.

chelle

actually beebeegal, i did post in other threads... but that's because they asked... but i realise that i shouldn't post the address if no one asks for it... cuz it's not very nice... especially if it's only one or two who wants it...
happy.gif

jessp

Hi all,

Just been to my dentist to ask abt teeth-whitening. For some cheaper alternatives, he suggested I buy a product called "Clever White". Basically, it's a pack of 5 pairs of "dentures" that are pre-coated with the whitening gel, so just need to put it on over your upper and lower jaw for 30 mins each day.. and after 5 days.. teeth shld be very much whiter!!

I bought a set at $68 to try.. hehe.. cos I will have my PS next week!

Will let u gers know the results, hope this will be a cheaper and effective solution!! ;p

gs1979

Hi jovialger, pls email to me abt the results as my ROM is next mth n i'm oso interested to try out Cleverwhite. Me went to Glamour bash yesterday n i got to noe that cleverwhite now got promotion.

dear99

thks michelle,

received ur mail. ;)

hi jovialger,
is cleverwhite dat effective?? 'im interested to kw too.

lilybud

hi everyone ... i'm new to the thread.

last year, i opted for a home bleaching system recommended by my dentist. Had to custom make a mould for my teeth. For 10 days consecutively i had to apply the clear gel onto the mould and wear it for 3 hours before going to bed. It was really uncomfortable and my gum was left sore and numb. Was very disappointed when i saw no results at the end of 10 painful days. Paid a few hundred bucks for that kit ....

xin5xin6

I went to mustafa yesterday to get the tooth powder named VICCO - yellow bottle at SDG2.00 and I got one of the sales personnels to teach me how to use it and I just used it and the results really worked. Indians frequently used such remedy to maintain their set of white flashing teeth. Although the it taste like soil in mouth, well it work wonders.

Directions:

Brush as usual using your daily toothpaste

Rinse clean your toothbrush before laying (only) some powder on to the toothbrush and start brushing ur teeth as usual

Brush only for 2 mins and left the foam in ur month for 5 mins be4 rinsing ur mouth. and tats it - Finish!!

However to note:
Remeber do not excessively brush your teeths regardless using toothpaste or tooth powder - excessive means damaging to ur teeth

Powder will made the fine stubs of the toothbrush became slightly brown

cupidbow

hi Elaine,
Do you have any side effects using the tooth powder?
My teeth is quite sensitive so I dare not anyhow use
these products. But if the effect is good and it wont affect my gum, I might consider getting one ;)

bubbleblue

hi, ladies. I saw Elaine's posting and thought just like to add that I am also using VICCO diligently every night and it really works! According to my Indian neighbour, the ingredients are made from tree barks where traditionally Indians hve been using to brush their teeths. It's a much cheaper and effective way for teeth whitening.

isobellies

hi guys! i went for Zoom whitening before my PS - it's the same kind of whitening that they use on last time that show Extreme Makeover... it's not cheap, about $1.5k+, but after an hour you can get pearly whites! you can then maintain it after that with those home gel whitening kits (like lilybud mentioned) because it will never last forever... whitening toothpaste doesn't work lah, esp if you already have bad stains, but i guess for maintainence it's better than nothing!
happy.gif

vday_gal

hi Elaine and bubbleblue, can I know where exactly in mustafa did you get VICCO? Went mustafa recently and i can't find it.. Is it only available in mustafa? thanks!

loterie

Hey gals,

I just went for my aesthetic treatment recently, guess what, the clinic is offering teeth whitening treatment (1 time in-clinic treatment & 5 home-kits) for just $600. As told by the dentist, the whitening effect can last to min 2yrs and can last longer with better care. They even throw in a free scaling & polishing. So that the gel can penetrate better. Hmm..good deal!

The best thing, I look better in just one visit to the clinic..hehehe...did my aesthetic and dental work at one visit. Save time!!

isobellies

wow! is it laser whitening? what brand is it? these days got a lot of brands, last time i use the Zoom! laser (they use it on Extreme Makeover) and also got home-kits...

loterie

Its not by laser. Its Opelescence (something like that). The dentist told me that actually light did not help much to the teeth whitening, its just a gimmick. And laser can burn your gums if u'r dentist is not good at it. But for mine, without laser, I can really see the difference cos I m a heavy coffee drinker. The dentist advice me to drink my daily coffee thru straw, for the whitening effect to last. Hmmm..Cheap & effective. I m happy wit the result.

isobellies

Oh, Opalescence! I've heard of that too, I'll check it out, thanks
happy.gif

Zoom (laser) was ok for me even though i thought i have very sensitive teeth...

monster6

Hello BTB,

If anyone needs advise for whitening of teeth,I'll be more than happy to help.I'm also a BTB & i'm a dentist.

Had my ROM in Feb 07 (just a couple of weeks ago).Whitened my own teeth & my husband's teeth.However,a lot of factors affect the appearance of your teeth.It's best to consult a dentist b4 u start whitening.& think abt this carefully: if over the counter products work,dentists will be out of business! most of over the counter products don't work coz there are a lot of factors that u don't know how to control.

Bladers,baking soda doesn't work at all.Baking soda is only good for getting red wine stains out of the carpet.

sunflower44

Hi Monster6,

Im interested in laser teeth whitening,.. am planning to do that and teeth veneers in BKK in Apr... can u advise what are the cons of laser teeth whitening compared to the usual whotening treatment?
I choose to go BKK for the treatment coz its much more expensive in Spore..

Thanks!

monster6

Dear Sunflower,

if u're online now,do want to add me to msn,if u're using it? easier coz there's a lot to advise & i'm sure u have questions too.then i can give u my no. to ring me if u need to chat with me.sometimes,i think it's easier to chat over the phone coz it's quicker to speak than to type.

my e mail add: [email protected]

sunflower44

Hi Iso,

laser teeth whitening is 10,000baht per pax... but if u were to go as a couple, its 18,000baht for per couple... izit considered cheap ah? Im not so sure...only heard ppl say its ex to do it in Spore.. =p

monster6

Hi Sunflower & Iso,

how much is 10,000 Baht in SGD?So far,i've seen 1 result of whitening done in BKK.I must say the result is very good.However,i'm not sure if it's laser whitening or those u see on Extreme Makeover.

Some info on whitening:

Laser Whitening - Most places DON'T have this type of whitening coz it's very expensive to purchase & the charges will be very high
- Ouch factor +++.More sensitivity than other type of whitening
- Expensive,but good result

Lght activated whitening - Common,affordable
- Ouch Factor + (low)

Home kit prescibed by dentist - Need compliance
- no good for lazy ppl
- cheapest whitening option
- good result,if u're compliant

Things to note b4 whitening:
1) Teeth needs to be cleaned & polished
2) All required fillings must be done,otherwise,the whitening gel is going to cause lots of sensitivity in the cavities.no good
3) Whitening does not last a life time.If u smoke,drink coffee or tea,the stains will return,but in yrs to come.
4)Top up for whitening available.
5) My advise is always to use a home maintanence kit for a short period of tiem (2 weeks) to stabilise the colour.
6) For those doing it overseas,ur timing must be good.u need to give allowance for all restorative work to be done (if the dentist happen to find cavities in ur teeth,then the appt to have whitening done may need to be postponed).Ever tot abt that? ever factor that into ur trip? the time constraints
7)Best to do it abt 1 or 2 months prior to wedding/photo shoot.I cheat.haha.I do my whitening,either light activated or home kit.I leave 2 tubes of whitening gel for enhancing 1 week prior to wedding or photo shoot.i teach my patients this trick too.in this way,they get white teeth,but they don't have to come back to buy extra gel for top up.but this is unless u're doing it only once.

if ur photo shoot is in may & ur wedding in nov,then u'll have to buy top up gel for ur wedding in nov,if u think ur teeth have stained again.

My advice for ppl deciding to go to BKK to do it,think over it carefully.u may find that u're better off doing it in s'pore,coz u can always give ur friendly dentist a ring anytime if u need last min advice or if u have questions.

isobellies

THB10,000 is about SGD400, THB18,000 should be about SGD720. Exchange rate is about 1 to 25.

I'll be very surprised if the BKK one is laser whitening (and it's those branded ones like Zoom) at that price! :D

monster6

Hi Iso,

Zoom is a brand name & it's light activated whitening,juz like wat u see on extreme makeover on TV.it's a good system.

SGD720 for Zoom whitening? that's abt $300+ cheaper than in s'pore only,u know? considering ur airfare,accomodation etc.Well,unless u're planning to take a hol in BKK,& do some shopping as well.Otherwise do u think it's worth it doing it in BKK?

To each his own.Do consider it.