Any good lightings shops to recommend?

corvette

Hi illac,
you can try Lights Arcade @ Balestiar. Look for Andrew (i believe he's the only guy in the shop). Very friendly and helpful. I've gotten my lights from them. It will be good to do a comparsion ard that area b4 deciding.

jnp

Hi,

Can also try Lite Vault. Got my toilet & kitchen light ( The simple white menthos lookalike) from them. Price pretty good

joyousonline

hi you can try Designers Lighting at 424 balestier road, giffard mansion..look for jeffrey..i've gotten my lights from there..trendy and nice..

bb_angel

no..better dun try Designers Lighting cos my dad juz had a bad bad experience fr there..e cost is higher den others to wat we had compared at another shop in Balestier Rd..all parts r e same!!!N when we ask for xplaination they juz avoid all our calls..

whiskey_17

I bought from De Light (something like that) from geylang. I'll say their installer and after service is good. I've some glass and crystal that's chipped. They agree to change. When I call, I say some has small chip, the sales guy says 'dun worry, big or small, we'll change it'. So reassuring. Look for they guy call 'Rock'

cecilialim

i got mine from Lumiere also... H&J, think 3E brings most of their customers to Lumiere... quite satisfied with their pricing and range

deci

hi leanne, when u say cost is higher.. how much higher? my ID recommended that shop and i was thinking of going there myself 1st.

bb_angel

hi deci,more den 50% lor..my bro checked all e price already..u can try e shop bside e kuan yin temple there..quite big shop but e price b4 discount is 50% cheaper den designers lighting..e design all about e same some even nicer..

cha_alex

may try litehouse (625 balestier road tel 6258-8062), look for Albert, good service...

my id broke my pendant light glass, he let us buy the glass only to replace... certain shop wont let you buy the glass only....

winnedy

Hey,
If you are buying pendant lights, can try Lightcraft in Jalan Sultan. Theirs is nett price. I went down to Balestier 3 times and walk thru the shops to make comparison. Still Lightcraft is much cheaper compared to the rest.

However, their downlights is more expensive.

froop

what is a reasonable price for downlights? 13w, 2x13w, 18w ones... i got quotes that are so different.. cheapest for 13w is $18 but some said they bot at $10?

anyway know which type is better?
1.bulb holder is fixed, screw in blub from side,
2. bulb holder cab turn downwards, supposedly for easy changing of bulb

pls advise....

iceblue27

hi pplz, lumiere is wher?any gd ways to spot the shop?

experts, pls giv advuse on the down lights.thks

btw how much u pplz spent on lightins? forgetin abt the types etc. (exclude crystal type)jus lik to know in figure how much u pplz spent. tryin to estimat the range of the cost. scare the figure too big scare myself

nivedita1

i come across this shop in balestier, offering modern (newer) design lightings. and the price is competitive as the whole stretch all lightings shops. The services are gd as well, as they give very gd explanation and frank abt the use of the lights.. be it practical or not.. its called strass lightings, wai wing building..

letdoit

Lightology and Lumiere is same boss.
Both good service ( before buy)
U can ask alot of thing without buying.
So far i just bought just 1 light cost S$2k
whereby other place selling same model and same crystal at S$2.4k

xiao_xiao

Beware of this two shops, Dream Lights & Lights Zone Enterprise. They are of the same boss, Dream lights will quote you a lower price, but the tell u no stock after some checking on the phone with the "store" opposite. Then lights zone which is opposite will quote u a higher price and say they got stock. Feel so cheated when i went to collect my lights today at Light zone when i saw the same guy from Dream Lights handing over the lights i bought to me!

elitegal

me now in midst of reno. b4 i shopped for lightings last wkend..i was busy reading thru all recommendations for lighting shops in this SB forum.

it's not easy to find all the lights i want in any single shop cos..i feel tt..if i buy all lights in just 1 shop, i will have greater bargaining power...which turns out so true!!

cos eventually..i bought all my lights last weekend from Kos*n Lighting (address: 467 Balestier Rd S329840 Tel: 6251 2383)(* = e)
tink no one mentioned this shop b4 ..maybe..it's at a very far end of balestier..every1 might hav missed it.=)

very gd customer service..i would say! the salesgal was v patient wif me n my hubby even though we went to their shop ard their closing hrs and took a long while to decide whether we wanna buy their lights n which to buy. and we have alot of requirements like..this n that to chg the bulbs to energy-saving ones..and we wanted warm n day lights for certain lights..we even chged the circuits inside..blah blah. its pretty confusing to us but they were v careful and handled it well.=)

prices-wise, they are fairly reasonable to give a package price if u buy more. of cos u must know how to bargain further...else, how to get the best deal..rite? ;P

delivery was prompt (3 days aft date of order) and timing was punctual as well..we have tested n tried the lights..all in gd condition aft they had been installed. and all were done up to meet our stringent requirements.

*thumbs up!*

spyder_696

can any one tell more more about lightology and chanhuat... still deciding which one to go... need to install ard 40 lights... lightology give me better installation price... and light price... but design i cant get all... chan huat design i like better... but price for down light n installation is higher side... think quality stuff ba... so hard to chose.. thks...

michy_wong

bk, i went balestier twice... u can easily find chan huat. it seems to have quite a few branches. so they're all very noticeable.

spyder_696

BK, at the end of the day... i got my light from kingslight in jalan besar lor... they have a wide selection to my liking and service was quite good as well... but e installation wont take place until may... so... i will be keeping my fingers crossed till then lor...
happy.gif

tbkiang

Thanks Michy, hope I can see it when I go down to balestier
happy.gif
so many shops oso confuse. I will just shortlist some and go in.

spyder, how is kingslight's pricing? especially downlight cos will be getting quite a number of it. btw what is the address?

michy_wong

bk - yah... so so many shops there. just take ur time. before you go, hv an idea of how many lights u need and wat type of lights u need. get them to quote u and u can decide from there. try and get all ur lights from 1 shop so dat u can get a better discount.

i got my lights from edison lighting house. like spyder, i liked their service and forthrightness. we got all our lights there and definitely got a gd bargain there.

xfiles_wolvie

Hi all,

would like to know if there is any installation charges where you all bought the lights? My intention is to get my contractor to do it. Would it be cheaper without installation?

Thanks.

michy_wong

i oso got my contrator to install the lights for me, since they're doing the ceiling works. i think if u ask the lighting shops to install for u, there'll be extra charges for installation, cos they'll need to ask someone else to do it perhaps.

survivor

Hi,
Just take note that it is cheaper to get lights on your own than asking the contractor to buy for you.

I just bought my down lights from the shop "i-lites" at Jalan Besar opp. OCBC. You quote them your cheapest price and they are willing to match it somewhere near.

The reason why theirs is slightly more expensive is becoz theirs are made in Australia (i.e. the label clearly states "Made in Australia") while you may get something similar in brand but may be made in Malaysia or China.

I went to look for a girl call "Siew Qing" who works in the shop, she will give me a good deal.

winterflame

actually i go to all the shop to look for wat i want and take pics, then i look for my supplier with the pics and got all the lights more than 30 to 40% less than all the shop. Ask my contracter to do install for me FOC, save a bundle. dont have to pay the extra money for the middleman

winterflame

well i say that i need to let my parents to see the pics say that they are renovating their house so they need to see if they want or not , then snap.

linly

Pls avoid to buy lighting from Designer Lighting Shop as the price is higher than other shops in Balestia.

hjdd

***Lights Arcade @ Balestiar***
Good service & pricing...
2 thumbs up! Look for the young salesgirl Jane.

lawhouse

Hi,

I would like to recommend 'Light Vault' @ balestier point. Bot all my downlights from them. Good pricing.....

plain

On 22 apr, my fh & I by passed a lighting shop called elite illumination @ 1 jalan besar at new world centre beside Macdonald. We went in cos saw a promo for 11 lightings at $599, so we went in to see and ask for quotes to see agar agar what is the price range for lightings. This is the first shop we visited for lightings.
I chose those items that is ok to us but still in doubt cos we have not seen others yet, so hope to compare with other shop first before deciding.

A sales guy call collin serve us, he is a junior staff, he first quote was $1600 for 17 lightings which made me drop my jaws, after rejected him, he then drop to $1300, then to $1200, then we told them our budget is only $800, by right shd not have told them our actual budget.

Then he go ask his supervisor, called Wu. Wu further dropped the price to $900 (include $5 per installation). So all of you can see how much did they marked up!
Wu said that if we dun want installation can reduce price to $815 which is already around of budget. So we thought & thought & thought, and rejected a few times even though the quote was $900.

Then he ask what was our problem. We told him this was the first shop we went and we cant decide lights yet, want to see more designs before deciding, who knows we may see more of those we like. Especially the living & dining which we can’t make decision at all.

So he say ok, then he dun include these two lightings first but will give us an option to purchase at the same price he offered if we were to purchase from them later.
Eventually the price quote was 660 (include $75 installation), then we also say dun wan and rejected them again cos we not really comfortable.
Then he asked what other problems we have, we cant say much, we just say we want to go around compare, then he say no use comparing one, everywhere is the same, more compare more headache and pressured us saying that give collin a chance cos he very sincere liao, also spend so much time on us. That time already about 10+ le. But we still shake head, we were so stupid then, should have walked away. He said one thing i hated most. He saied, "like that you are playing us lah"...
I’m so shocked then… like so ah beng like that. We just want to see more designs only wat… got wrong meh?
He added, before we ask for delivery, we can come down and see if got new designs, so no worry, can exchange then also. So eventually after much pressure from them, stupidly me & bf paid a deposit of $200.

We also really thick skin la, still go around see other places. And after seeing more, we had better ideas of what we want which elite dun have.
So never mind... we thought since we had already placed $200 with elite, we should go back and see if they have what we wanted.

Before we went back, we called and asked for the detailed breakdown on the items in the invoice and confirm the the installation charges can be taken out and reduce the price accordingly.
Collin gave me the breakdown and say the installation cannot be taken out. I was rather agitated and ask him to go confirm with Wu. Collin said ok and will call me back in 15 min time. However after 15 min is 9 o'clock le, he did not call back, so i called him, nobody ans call, so i guess shop closed at 9 on public holidy then.
Next day, we waited for his call, he did not call back, we called the shop again, we was told collin on off, so we ask Wu. Wu also confirm can reduce, so we said ok lor.

We went back to choose design on 6 may, but there are no new design, all so lao tu, then we abit disappointed liao, but collin told us new stock will be coming in on 20 May, but we said abit too late for us liao cos our installation by contractor on 22 may but we still give them chance again and say ok, we'll come back on 20 may.

We went back on 20 may, they have new designs but mostly for dining one which we are not interested. We dun wan hanging lights but they have alot hanging lights, then eventually we told collin what we want.. But who knows in the end, we can only find downlights, kitchen lights, study room lights & mian qiang take the passage way light
So we ask collin to re-quote the items, cancelling the previous invoice and issue a new invoice based on the new quotes la.
Then he like very reluctant, say very difficult to do, very difficult to quote the new items
With no choice, he quoted the items, so damn ex lor... saying should not have package price liao, since we did not take their package in the first place

Big lights in first quote is $45, now i choose a smaller one, charge me at $75, damn pissed off.
I confronted him, but in a nice way la, eventually he gave me $30.
All in all, the 4 items (5 downlights, 1 studyroom, 2 kitchen & 1 passageway) he quoted $340. which i think quite reasonable, so we say agreed.

But he said he go ask Wu. Come back, again, giving that "difficult to do" face and say very difficult leh... cannot give package price liao, i quite angry by that time le.
So i say, ok lor... if difficult to do, then we just take 200 worth items and go lor

He then say must still fulfilled the 660, can only exchange, cannot reduce, i even angrier by the time, said we very sincere wanted to give them business by waiting for so long and come back again but just that they dun have what we want which we saw from other shops, cannot possibly force us to take things we dun like ma, so unfair.

Then all the ding ding dong dong... he come back say his managers in the shop cannot make decision, so have to escalate the matter up to his boss and give us answer by Monday, 22 May.

So we told collin if difficult for him, we can talk to his managers personally, but no managers wanted to talk to us. WU is in the shop at that time but dun want to talk to us.
Who knows yesterday, no one called us on Monday, so we called in noon, was told collin was off again and their boss not was at overseas.

We then we told them we cant wait anymore, must give us answer and ask them to contact boss la... call overseas lor, what so difficult.

Then we give them 3 choices... 1) to let us have the pdts at 340, 2) to let us have our pdts at 200, 3) we go down to their shop today, Wu haven finish listening what we are saying then interrupted and say "no need to say until like that one lor, u come down also nothing can collect one". Heis attitude is like we going down to his shop to ZHA CHANG. Wu is so beng lor, thought we wanna go down fight with him. We where got time to fight or quarrel, we just want to settle the matter amicably, we civilised pple leh...
Hate his attitude mann…
Then wu say he will call his boss, if can get, then can get, if cannot get his boss, then cannot get... What kind of attitude is that mann
Eventually a guy call himself manager TEO called us say they have all the lightings, just that they did not display only and he will serve us personally tonight. So we went down lor...

Who knows that TEO is also one of the manager in the shop on the days we were there... then how come he dun want to attend to this matter that time, waste our time. We already ask to speak to mgrs liao ma... yet no one attended to us

So he started off saying must still fulfilled the $660, we told them its unfair and after all the explanation from us, he then say ok, he compromise and ask us to fulfilled $585
What bullshit mann... its a fact that it is only 585 wat.. What compromising is he giving???

He just he will cancelled the invoice and re-quote cos collin had quoted below cost. We are reasonable people, so we say ok, by all means, requite which is what we intended in the first place, but must also be price must also be competitive lor.
He recommend those ex ex lights, i think he just want to make it to 585, then i say, we got budget to meet, i'll tell him what we want, and see if he can find...
After all, he still cant find the lightings we want.
Then we say, u see.... its not that we dun want to buy, its u all dun have the lightings, how can force pple wan.. give us the option to take 200 worth of pdts or give us the 340 la

You know what he say?
He says he wanted to help us get what we want and had ask 4 or 5 suppliers, but they dun have...
still cant get, we also dun want to compromise, dun take the lights he recommended, then he say, he also no choice, say we breach of contract.
We told him goods not delivered not considered a sales lor... who say breach of contract, also we are hoping to get lights from them in the first place. Moreover we already reiterate to them that this is the first lighting shop, we knew nothing until we went out and see more….

He then asked us to go CASE and claim the $200 back from them
We asked to see the boss, he say boss dun meet customers... boss only meet customers in court.
I very fedup and said we very sincere liao, yet then treated us like that.. I wanted to go off...
But fh dun wan to waste our hard earned $200, so eventually, we compromise & took 1 living, 1 dining, 1 passageway, 2 kitchen, 1 study at $485
He wanted to quote us $150 for living & dining.
We say its really unfair to us, the first invoice they quote 130 for 5 heads, now we take 3 heads one, chg us 150?? Unreasonable right? He then said the previous invoice was below cost one, it’s a lose business. But but but… what has this got to do with us? The price was quoted by WU!!! Not us.

Then he reduce to $120, then to $110 each but outside we can purchase at $95.
He then added on say we no need to decide now, but he will not reduce the price further, we can go case if we want, they will win in such case one.

As consumers, we dun have a choice, and dun want to waste more time on these babarians.... so we settle with $485, the rest, we buy from other shops.

We ask for early delivery, then TEO said he also want to get rid of this matter asap. You think we dun wan to get rid of you asap too? Dun ya ya hor….

Today noon was the delivery, was told the delivery is 12.30pm to 1.30pm. I waited until 1.30pm. The delivery guy not here yet, I’ve to rush back to work, ask my fh to wait. He then called elite, elite ask him to contact the delivery person directly. What service is this mann????

I take this as a lesson learnt not to placed deposit due to pressure and walk of immediately if you dun feel comfortable. For newbie in renovation out there, be careful of this bad service shop!

spyder_696

plain... try to act not interested in whatever shop you visit even thought u r very interested...
happy.gif
my tactics
happy.gif
but its really okay to buy if u like without visting other shops... bcos we can sense quality when we see it ;) enjoy ur renovation process... cheers...

denor

Hello all,
just bought all my lights from Lite House. Our very first shop was actually L*ght Arc*d* which everyone said was good.
Erm, well, because there is staff in the shop, it means that they have to earn commission.
They didn't really explain stuff to me in detail, and the prices of exact models of lights were higher than Lite House.

Lite House:
625 Balestier Road. Moving location soon.
The boss, Albert patiently explained stuff thoroughly to us blur sotongs, and because he's moving shop, there's a REMOVAL SALE going on.
He recommended lights based on your house plan, and also gave helpful tips.

Since there's no sales person, there's no requirement to super mark up prices to earn commision, and he can give you discounts without consulting anyone else.

You might want to consider dropping by to see if there's a design that you are like going cheap.

maxin

We have gone to LiteHouse this afternoon. Albert is the OIC at the shop. My Mum and FW and I are "nuts" "know nothing at all" about lights. We gone thru 2 hours with Albert explaining to us in details and he told us the pros and cons of different covers/casings/bulbs. He is a easy going person; offer practical choices. BTW, the removal sale will end sometime on this 30 June.

yjstory

Bought my lights from 4 different shops in Balestier today. 10 hrs of walking ard and checking out prices... almost drop dead!
Well... all 4 shops we went to are good and easy to negotiate... really got quite a good deal.
Got my downlights from Extreme Lighting 371 Balestier... original price for 5.5inch square DL is $28 which is cheap compared to $35 from others. I bought 15 pcs so he quote me $26 each. Ballast from Australia and Osram bulbs.
Silic Lighting Centre 509 Balestier... bought a decorative dropdownlight... the lady is friendly n gives real good prices.
Blisspoint Lighting 341 Balestier is unbelievably easy to negotiate... for the same model i checked with ChanHuat and Home of Lights... it is 40% cheaper. Bought all 3 room lights, toilet and kitchen lights from them. i wish i could get dining and my decorative light from them but they dun hv wat i like.
Last but not least, Edison Lighting House, 575 Balestier... the aunty inside there is so good... she gives us a good discount and easy to negotiate too... we shopped ard for the same model of dining lights and realised the price she quoted really a good deal. If you can buy and carry... even better cos it will be even cheaper... Highly recommend them if you have a tight budget!

nat_bleu

hi, what do u all think abt Chan Huat? I think they've got 5 shops along Balestier & they got quite a wide range. Their price & service seems alright leh. Hav anyone bought from them before?