Any Good Driving Instructor - For refreshing course

diaz

Hi,

I need to refresh my driving skill anyone has
a good driving instructor to recommend ?
Thanks...

linda

Hi Diaz,

I strongly recommend you my driving instructor! He is joking friendly and well-tempered, and don't scream at you when you make mistakes....

Call him at 94509100 (HP) his name is Philip. Tell him Linda (Toa Payoh) reccomended you!

Good Luck!

jaime

Hi Diaz,

I would recommend you to take up the refresher course at Bukit Batok Driving Centre. I got my licence there within 3 months and full of confidences too!

The instructor there are all friendly, never used unkind remarks when teaching me driving cos it's not their preious car that you are driving.

It may be a bit costly, but I think it's worth it.

Give this a thinker, ok?

diaz

Hi,

Thks for your feedback.

Bukit Batok is too far for me...
I have actually called up with Ubi driving centre
and the fee is quite expensive.
$80 ++ for registration and every 1.5hr at $50++
so thought of going to private driver instead.

Linda, will call up Philip and find out more info.

Thanks gals

dec_gal

Hi Linda

I'm also planning to take driving lesson too.. I live in the west, I'm wondering if Philip only accepts students in the north/east??..

dutchess

hi Linda

does Phillip only conduct refresher courses? what about new learners? does he speak English or Mandarin only? Prefer to have someone who can speak English.

Thanks!

linda

Hi,

Philip will pick students from Braddell MRT station or Ubi test Centre. He takes both new students and refresher courses. He is a bit Uncle uncle lah...but he is real friendly and patient, especially good for kan cheong spiders like my sis-in-law. Hheehheh......

He can speak English, he have Malay students too, and Mandarin. Call them and find out how lor... Tell him I introduce you (Linda, Cyndi's sis-in-law) heheheh...he sure tell you funny stories about me one......

dec_gal

Hi all,

As I'm living in the Jurong West, I think I couldn't take up Linda's instructor..

Anyone knows any good driving instructor who teaches in the west??... Thanks!

jaslyn

Hi dec gal

I have just shifted my driving from Comfort Driving Centre to BBDC (after flunking my 1st time there...). My cousin recommended me her driving instructor. He's quite a patient middle-aged man. But speaks Mandarin only. Interested?

Having bad experience with my previous instructor at Ubi, I'm quite selective when it comes to patient instructors. Dun like the feeling of being roared at.

W

wedding02

Hi, I like to recommend my driving instructor. He is very patient and much better than the previous one I had. He teaches Bukit Batok, Jurong, Ubi and few other areas. His name is Mr. Ng and he can be contacted at 97066589 and his rate is within market range.

M

mazzie

Hello,

What is the standard market rate for refresher course nowadays ??

dec_gal

wedding02 : Thanks for your recommendation...Will call him once I pass my final theory.

Jaslyn : Will you let me know your instructor's contact also...Thanks

Ladies,
Really appreciate all your help.
happy.gif
happy.gif
Going for my final theory test next week...Hope I can pass. But I really have to buck up..Haven't really study much...Lazy leh!..

jaslyn

Dec Gal

My instructor's contact is 5651759. I call him Mr Yeoh. He calls me by Huiqing. Tell him the Huiqing from Ubi recommends you, if you decide to take him.

kit

Hi ,
Anyone know of good driving instructor that teaches around town area (near Tiong Bahru) or Parkway Parade??

kit

Hi Jaslyn,
Called up Mr Yeoh that you recommended to Dec Gal. He charges now $26 per hour. I think he said for student's recommendation, he charges $24. Is it the rate he normally charge. He suggest that I should take the lesson from Bukit Gomback or Jurong West since I am taking the test there. Btw, will he normally take you to the circuit within BBDC to learn? He also mention something about if I want him to fetch me from somewhere, it will be charge into my time, how does this work? Is he good? My brother's instructor hides a lot of driving tips and knowledge from him and do not want to teach them evertything so that they will fail the test and continue the lesson with him. So unethical.
Anyway, thanks for the recommendation.

monica

Hi Jaslyn,
This Mr. Yeoh teaches on the East? I think it's bout time I start learning to drive after years of procrastination. "sigh" I am looking for a driving instructor for Ubi who is not fierce, doesn't despice female drivers. Must be very detailed and patient. Cannot scold me. Honest, cannot find ways to overcharge me. Give me a lot of good tips, must be SURE PASS ON FIRST TRY. Must speak either English or Mandarin. Otherwise I'll be very lost with dialect. Must be very cheap. Best if include pick and send : P

Anything that fits description?

kpo

hey monica,

yah..in your dreams!
crazy.gif

if u come across a driving instructor like that...pls let me know
lame.gif

kit

Hi Jaslyn and wedding02,
How is your instructor? Good in giving tips and patient to students? Did they hide a lot of information from you? Do you guys feel that it is cheaper to learn from private instructors?
Actually have called up Mr Yeoh and Mr Ng. think both charge about the same rate.
Tell me your comments. Really appreciate.

tab00

Hi Diaz, Kit, Monica & all,

Actually meant to recommend my past driving instructor to Diaz (& now Monica) but keep forgetting to ask my brother (my brother is now learning from him) for the contact no. Talk abt procrastinating!
hehehee...:p

Look for William @ 7841845. He only teaches ard Ubi area so he fetches & sends at Paya Lebar MRT station & uses a SCQ plate Honda Civic Exi.

He is patient, detailed & punctual. I went through 2 other instructors b4 "talent-spotted" him at MRT station.
hehehe....

Say u r recommended by his "graduated" student who is working at S'pore Post Centre. He shld remember me bcos I just recommended my new colleague (who is taking extra lesson while learning at AMK Driving School concurrently) to him. He used to give refresher course to my ex-colleague too.

Think his rate is ard $22-24/hr if u r a pte student (not taking course from driving school) & $30/hr if u r taking lessons from the school concurrently. But don't worry, he doesn't overcharge or try to cheat time.

Kit:
My 2nd instructor charged fetching into my time too. This is how it works: The time taken for him to travel from his usual pickup Point A to pick u up at Point B; & the time for him to drop u at Point B b4 travelling back to his usual pickup point A is considered part of your lesson time. This is to your disadvantage unless u r behind the wheel (he usually took over, bcos faster for him) or u dont mind paying for the time lost.

Gd luck to ur driving!!

monica

Wow Taboo!!!!!!
Thanks alot. Same like my hubby's instructor. Picking and Fetching time was counted into the hour. Feel so cheated. And he very impatient.
I'll definitely call him.

THANKS TABOOO.... BIG HUGZ!!!!!

tab00

Hi Monica,

Deeply understand the frustration of getting a lousy instructor. Not to mention the loss of self-esteem & confidence during the crucial stage of learning how to manipulate a car.

So u r very the welcome!
happy.gif

kit

Hi Linda,
I have called up your instructor Philip and he recommended his friend called David as David is taking the West area. Has anyone learnt from David before. He sound okay over the phone and the price is mkt rate. The good thing is he speak English, so thought better.
Btw, can I inquire something else. David mention to apply for the Provisional Driver Licence first. Where can I apply? Can I go to Queenstown Police Station where we can take the theory paper?

jaslyn

u can apply for pdl at any post office... correct me if im wrong... i also feel tat instructors who speak english are better, as some concepts need to be explained in english.

monica

That time my hubby had his last lesson in the morning before the actual test. They drove out and he saw this black round puddle in the middle of the road and ran over it. Car got stuck. The instructor went down and pulled an Iron wok from underneath the car then scolded him "Next time u see wok on the road don't anyhow knock!!!!!" As if you see a wok on the road everyday.

He very fierce.

tab00

Hi Kit,
If u r apply a PDL for the very 1st time, u can do it only at any of the Driving Centres. For subsequent renewal, u can just do it at any S'pore Post Office.

Hope this helps.
happy.gif

kit

Hi Wedding02,
How do you identify yourself to Mr Ng. I called him that day and he says he need to know who recommend him to me before he charge the prefential rate. Pls reply to me. Thanks.

pat

Hi there,
Any good English speaking instructor that teaches near Bukit Batok or Jurong East area.

kit

Hi Wedding02,
Have started my first lesson with Mr Ng. You are right, he seems nice n patient. Really thanks for your recommendation. He asks for your name so that he can make a record. May I know how he address you. Do reply to me. Thanks you.

Btw, he ask me to give him a deposit of $48 (originally $70) to be refunded back after the pratical test. Is that market practice?

dec_gal

Hi gals,

I have passed my final theory...so I think I'll phone Mr Ng or Mr Yeoh this few days.

Wedding02: Will u let us know ur name..its easier to tell Mr Ng.

Thanks!

angie

Hi All,

Anyone knows the market rate for refresher course and how it's like, as in how many classes etc?

dec_gal

Hi Kit,

Yah!...I think I'll also call up Mr Ng.. Till now, no other good recommendations from friends.

Can I ask where he picks u up.. How's his rate?.. and any other cost we need to pay when we start the driving lesson..

Thanks lst for your info.

W

wedding02

Hi Kit,

Sorrrrrrry for the late reply. Good to know you find him alright cause he is a real patient man. I always had a lot of questions for him and he was never mad to answer me. Anyway my name is Joyce Tee, I don't think he can remember me cause I passed my test last September, he can only recognize me. Oops you could mention the one who went overseas (China). Chao!

W

wedding02

Hi Kit,

Regarding the deposit part, I find that it's a standard practice for all learners even for new ones. I hope I answer your questions. Have fun!

totoro

Hi Wedding02

I am thinking of calling Mr Ng for driving lessons too, can I tell him that you recommend me? Thanks
happy.gif

daphne

Hi you can try my driving instructor, Albert at 96695522. He teaches in Ubi. He's very good. I went there thru friend's recommendation. He dun require any deposit. If you let him know Daphne recommend, he will give you cheaper rate. current market rates is $26 per hr.

totoro

Hi daphne, thanks a lot for the initiatives, too bad for me that i live in the west side, so can't use your instructor, but thanks anyway!

W

wedding02

Hi totoro,

Sure no problem, provided he still remember me. Anyway, I will be going for refreshment lesson soon!

dutchess

Hi Tab00 or anyone who has an opinion on this

I called William, who was recommended by Tab00 earlier. He sounds quite ok and his rate is $22 for day and $24 for nights and wkends.

However, I am a bit unsure of the following, which he told me I must pay:

1. Payment for lessons must be one lesson in advance (I thought it's paid every lesson?);
2. Must pay enrolment fee of $30 (not a deposit)(do other instructors charge enrolment fee??)
3. Booking of test date is $20 + $16x3 (for circuits) = $68 (is this for the traffic police or for the instructor?)

Are the above the normal conditions for other driving instructors as well? Didn't know that there was enrolment fee involved.

Anybody can help me or give any advice cos my first lesson is on Fri!!

Thanks!!!

mint

Hi dutchess,

For me, my driving instructor didn't charge me an enrolment fee and the payment of a lesson is on the day of instruction itself. But the booking of test date and circuits, the driving instructor will collect the money from you and do all the admin work for you on your behalf. Just make sure you see a confirmation slip of the test date and you do go for circuit 3 times.

Hope this helps and good luck with your lessons.

dutchess

hi mint!

thanks for your reply. when you say go for circuits, you mean practive at the circuit 3 times?? that means the $16x3 is for booking hte circuit 3 times fo practice and not for the test date?

you did not need to pay enrolment fee huh? aiyoh, how? scared i get "knocked"....

mint

Hi dutchess,

Sorry for the late reply. I forgot that you started your lesson on Friday. How was it?

On your test day, you will use the circuit once before your test for practice. The other two times is used during lesson time. Some people need to practice more times at the circuit so must pay each time you enter. Like me lor, very 'lau ya' at narrow course so practiced a lot and also pay alot.
lame.gif

dutchess

hi mint

yeah, had my first lesson on friday but with another instructor. this one was also recommend in this thread. His name is Albert and he was more "transparent" in his charges. he only collected the enrolment fee of $30, the fee for the lesson and the booking fee of $20 for the test date. he told me that booking of circuit can be done later so no need to pay now. at least he was very clear about everything and i was not so confused. he was also very nice and patient and did not make you nervous at all. i was already driving on the road on my first lesson! don't know if this is common among all learner drivers??

daphne

Hi Dutchess

heard from Albert that two person from this SB took up lesson from him. guess one must be yu.hee he owe me lunch...hee....

yup Albert is patient and strict. hee got "scolded" by him when I repeat silly mistakes which is good cos I would make a point to keep in mind not to repeat these mistakes.. hee...my test is only next month. It is very common among beginners to drive on the road from 1st lesson. I'm sure you enjoy the lesson. I always look forward to my lesson as I simply love to drive.

For ALbert, he will book the circuit for your next lesson and you only pay after the lesson. simply no hidden cost.

mint

Hi dutchess,

Glad you found a better instructor. Enjoy all your lessons and good luck for your test.

Happy New Year!!
happy.gif

dutchess

hi daphne
yep, one of them was me. hehee...he kept asking me who recommended. as i only knew your first name, couldn't tell him your surname or how you look or whether yo have passed or not. so he wasn't sure who i was referring to. until the point when he was flipping through his diary and i saw your name highlighted (i think because of your test date) and i then pointed it out to him. only then he knew who i was talking about. yeah, he also told me that there is one other person from the forum. hehe...he said are a very nice girl and very soft-spoken.

good luck for your test then! hope you make it on your first try!

hi mint!
thanks! Happy New Year to you too!!

dutchess

Hi daphne!!

CONGRATS!! heard you passed your driving test on your first attempt! wah! so impressed! hope i can pass on my first attempt too.

wish you happy driving!

daphne

Hi dutchess

gee.... thanks. guess have to thank Albert cos after all the "scolding" then I learnt how to handle the brake and crutch. that helps a lot cos I used to be very scared of car stalled and always stalled my car.

When is your test? Think you should have no problem cos Albert's record is most of his students pass on the 1st test, otherwise second time. good luck to you.