Any experience with tempered glass ?

C

crim

Hi,

I heard of cases where tempered glass shatters in pieces, sometimes for no reason. Anyone had such experience to share, and what I should look out for if installing and taking care of tempered glass ?

Thanks !

catz

Hi crim,
Yes, that's absolutely correct. The glass will just explode for no reason! Actually, it's due to impurities in the glass. Don't know what you can do about that, except pray that your contractor will do an FOC replacement when that happens loh.. My colleague's 'glass'house keeps having that problem too.. he says it's like living in LA 'cos it sounds like gunshots everywhere!

C

crim

Hi catz,

what i'm afraid is that the shattered pieces might fly around and cut. dunno what can be done to ensure that it won't shatter because from what i know, tempered glass aren't suppose to shatter when hit, but will leave a crack. How to tell now if it is safe or not ?

catz

Hi crim,
When the glass shatters, the glass shards will not be sharp so they will not hurt anyone. However, it's more the hassle of replacing glass which sucks! I'll try to find out from my colleague ok?

M

mss

the top part of my TV console is tempered glass .. and I placed a 29" TV on it!!! Is it safe? Will it shattered even faster (due to the weight of the TV)??? *scared ... there was once I heard from noise coming from the TV console ... but simply ignore it ...

catz

Hi Lonewolf,
My colleague's house has tempered glass all over the place - his elevator is fully glass, the sides of his swimming pool etc... he mentioned to me that no matter how thick, the chances of exploding is still there. However, he's away on Christmas vacation so I haven't had the chance to ask him.

blueberry

Hi gals,
I am planning to hack off part of my kitchen wall and replace with clear glass, do like a Binjai Crest open kitchen concept. Is there any danger of glass cracking or anyone thinks it is not practical to do so. Pls give me your comment. I think it is beautiful but may not be that practical if I plan to cook in kitchen. How?????

C

cautious

Hi all,

I understand from contractors that the tempered galss comes in different thickness..4/6/8/10mm, etc. Depending on the purpose, the different type of thickness should be used accordingly. They recommended that shower screens should be 8mm to be safe. Reading this forum, I am shocked to know that this can crack for no reason!

Catz, do you know what was the thickness of that piece which cracked?

C

crim

hi all,

Also remember to check the brand of the tempered glass. It should have a stamp at the corner.

lonewolf

Hi all

I just remember that Catz mentioned that the colleague house is in LA so I'm wondering if their climate plays a part in the glass cracking?? Maybe our weather is not subjected as much to temperature variations.

Hi crim, which brand oof tempered glass is good? Mine is Duraglas.

catz

Err...Lonewolf, my colleague's house is in Singapore. Dunno how you got the idea that it was in LA?
happy.gif
He's still not back from vacation yet so I cannot get any answers for the time being. Wait hor...

lonewolf

Ha Catz, my apologies. Misread your eariler post. You said your colleague says it's like living in LA and not that he lives in LA. *blush*

catz

Lonewolf.. heehee... you very cute!
happy.gif
I was really surprised! Anyway, take care and happy holidays!
happy.gif

gem

Just recently, there is this news on the tempered glass shattering into pieces for no reason...

anyone know if tempered glass comes with a warranty?

P

protest

two cases occured at hdb flats on shattered tempered glass recently- one in sengkang bathroom, another in woodlands; anyone had any bad experience- looks like hdb shud provide a clear explanation to this matter.

J

jo jocelyn

Protest,

Why should HDB explain the case? Tempered glass is normal glass that went thru high heat treatment to make it more durable. It does not mean it will not shattered, it only mean that it will only shattered by a bigger impact and that the glass will fall apart in round bits.

In any concrete wall, if you have big contract and expand (due to temperature change), there will be slight movement which naked eyes will not see. This might affect your glass.

ordos

they shld explain coz it comes with the house (for premium flats).
surely they expect the owner to install water heater in the bathrooms?
it's reasonable if the shower glass shattered after several year of wear and tear but less than a year or even half a year?
there must be something wrong somewhere

P

protest

why provide a tempered glass that will shatter within half a year or more. the normal tempered glass in condos are thicker and more durable...this is also dangerous. thought tempered glass wont shatter in pieces, but imagine if you were bathing and it shatter in front of u...

R

rk

I saw in the newspsper ads that 3M has a film that paste over tempered glass. I believe it will hold when the glass shattered.

marchie

Just a thought, if the shower screens installed by HDB for premium flats proved to be lousy, with all these recent incidents happening, shouldn't HDB source for better quality ones that will last? If really we need to paste such protective film over to prevent injury, shouldn't HDB then pay for such expenses? We pay a higher price for premium flats, so shouldn't that be something HDB think about too? I pity the poor boy who was injured by the shattered glass.....

N

no point

think about those pple staying in those flats where the upgrading stopped for months before re-starting....it's all due to the same cause....reason is that HDB chooses the contractor that tenders for the jobs at the cheapest price.....so the contractors will cut corners in order to still make money out of the projects...and in the case of the upgrading contractors, they simply couldn't cope with the cashflow problems so they just pack their bags and leave!....try kicking up a big fuss to your MP in the meet-the-people's sessions if you feel that it is really so critical....maybe will help...but if you complain in the forum or complain to HDB, it's just a waste of effort.

afcai

Acc to my contractor,the tempered glass shower screens provided by HDB is normally come with only 3mm thickness only. That't why it shatters easily. My shower Screen come in 10mm thickness.

just for info,pls

dur30cat

Just out of curiosity, did anyone think of putting a glass panel in front of the stove wall? One ID mentioned to me that many condos are doing such designs. Of coz, must use at least 8mm. wonder how safe is that?

blackforest

Hi Emy,
I have actually install a 10mm tempered glass in front of my stove without any stove wall because I wanted sunlight to brighten my kitchen. My placement of stove is abit weird cos I have some fengshui requirement to meet. As for how safe, my ID tell me it is very safe. Yet to test it out since I have yet to move in.

afcai

Hi emy,
those glass panel placed in front of the stove wall are different from normal glass. there are made of tempered glass which can able to within heat. I have placed two piece of glass shelved just above the stove.

even the vapour or heat evaporated from the cooking pots won't 'melt' the glass easily.

dur30cat

Thanks Blackforest.

Afcai, I think I would like to place it on the wall just behind the stove, so that it's easier to clean up after cooking. With it been so near to the stove flames, I am concerned if it's likely to crack. I mean, how heat resistant is tempered glass?

I thought of installing stainless steel but i think asthetics wise, not that pretty.

dizi

sidetrack: When the shower is in use, will water sip out between the joints near the swing glass door?

afcai

Hi Dizi,
if the shower screen is two way, water will sip out. if the swing door is only 1 way (no rubber under), water would NOT sip out.

kxbc

If your contractor/ID had slotted a plastic/rubber thingy (from top to bottom) on one of the glass where the 2 pieces of glass touches, water will not seep out. However, it also means that the door will only swing one way now as the rubber/plastic will prevent your door to swing the other way. The piece of plastic/rubber can also be slotted at the bottom of the swing door to prevent water seepage.

smurfy

there is indeed a rubber thingy from top to bottom where the screens touch..and my door can only swing one way, yet still the water seep out.. why?

dizi

I was thinking probably the direction in which the door swings (either inward or outward) will affect the water seepage...hummm....eg if the door swings inward maybe all the water will be keep within the shower??

y4735

When your contractor install the tempered glass shower screen, does he erect one that goes all the way up to the ceiling of the bathroom? or only about 3/4 way up?

Thanks!

afcai

mine is a 3/4 one so that l can hand my towel (with hanger) outside the door. if it is full length up to the ceiling, then later no air , how?

starrystarry

Sounds really scary. Was thinking of boxing up part of my living area with tampered glass to create a tv area.
Anyone had this idea in their current home?
Is it safe?

Hi starrystarry,
I actually had the idea of hacking half of my study room wall horizontally and using glass to replaced it. However changed my mind later cos usually its better to hack the whole wall and replace by glass. If half wall, half glass, then the wall may crack in future. If you are given good tampered glass, then it should be fine. my kitchen swing door and big wardrobe are also tampered glass. I love the looks!!

elitegal

hi RJ,

did u eventually hack the wall n replace it wif full glass?

i did it to combine 2 of my rooms. it's indeed a wise choice i hav ever made for my reno.

now..wanna ask how u clean the glass? esp shower screens glass ah?

any fast n effective method to share? ha ha..=P i now hav too much tempered glass in the hse...

nwping13

hi,
i have a tampered glass dining table, but after using for around 4 years plus, it crack and have to replace with a new one. think it's due to constant putting of hot items on it. and heard that if put some "heat absorber" (dunno wat is the exact name), then it will be ok lor. anyway hav change to a new dinning table liao.

nirvanaa

Another way to prevent this is to have safety decorative film/sticker.
Even the glass shattered into pieces, sticker will still hold up the debris.

469368.jpg

sunflower44

Hi all,

I just bought a black tempered glass dining table from The Furniture Club... but theres no label indicating its "tempered glass" on the glass... the sales staff said it'll look ugly with the label. Having heard all the negative comments abt Furniture Club from another thread, I'm starting to get worried.... what if the dining table is not made of tempered glass?

Are there any guidelines on how to identify a tempered glass from the normal ones? Thanks!

angel_77

I think u are being con by them... All tempered glass shd have label on the end corner. It is not a sticker that paste on it!!! It is actually something like craved on it with machine or watever..

wtpoh

Hi,

Does anyone know what is the difference between laminated glass and tempered glass?
I am asked by the HDB to use laminated glass for my fixed window (part of full height windows).
Please advice.

Thanks.
Alamak

afcai

Hi Alamak,
i remember that my contractor told me b4 that tempered glass is better cos if it cracked, it will crack inside and won't shatter into pieces. it mean that the glass is thicker and have a protective layer.

callaway

I have similarly been told that tampered glass surfaces are secure but the sides aren't that secure and often if the impact is from the side, there's a good chance your glass will crack.

Anyone had this experience?