Any big-sized brides with good boutiques to recommend?

may2003

Shirley: thanks for the info. will call them to find out. I need to make a pair for my evening gown and went to check at Leaping Lizard, they quoted me $179.

shirley

hi all,

I went to Daniel Yam the other day. The one at centrepoint has shifted already. I managed to find the other branch at wisma as well as in taka. The bad news is that they no longer bring in large sizes
sad.gif

Anyway, I managed to find my dress, from Isetan. And also there were quite a wide selection at CK Tangs
happy.gif

I chose the one at Isetan coz I wanted something that I can wear for the dinner as well as for cny.

May2003 : I think $179 is really very steep. Do try pedal works. Worth the money.

S

sept 03 bride

Hi Shirley,
can u pls advise the contact no for Peddleworks?
I'm a size 9 so its rather hard to find such sizes.
Thanks for your help

shirley

Hi all & Sept 03 Bride

I can only offer you information on the branch in Jurong Point, coz I made mine there. The shop is located at #01-43/44 Tel : 6790 2680. Maybe if Jurong is too far from you, then you can ask the people at Jurong for numbers to the other outlets. And please remember that this period of time they will not take in new orders...peak period, they are busy making the standard shoes.

But maybe you can drop by and try theit ready made shoes, coz their cut are slightly bigger, especially at the front portion. I manage to get 2 pairs of slip-ons and 2 pairs of shoes from there, custom made 1 pair, which design I saw from a magazine. So do try, you never know, maybe can buy one pair on the spot
happy.gif

S

sept 03 bride

Hi Shirley,
thanks for this info. No problem for Jurong Point outlet as I'm staying near this area... beri convenient in fact. Hmm... I never seem to notice this shop... anyway I will go check it out this weekend.... thanks for your help
happy.gif

mudpie

Hi tri,
I know what you mean by "passive" fiance; I got to drag and kick mine in order to make him move! The 1st step is maybe take him to wedding shows and get ideas.

It's never too early 2 shop for gowns n pkg plus banquet; if your in-laws wanna choose dates, do they look at the almanac? From my understanding it comes out only around Jul every year, so people start booking hotels like mad. Since the almanac comes out for 1 year, no one will be able to book earlier than that! We are Christians, and I asked my buddhist mom to compromise
happy.gif
Good luck!

Blurydoey, are you Shirley? A bit confused here :p

Well, I made my shoes and sandals at Leapin' Lizard already
sad.gif
If only I knew Pedalworks also custom makes shoes! I'm not too fond of the designs by LL, but had no choice and went for something simple and classic. Cos I'm a member, they had special offer; 20% off 2nd pair; both cost $99 each so in the end I pay less than $170 for both pairs.

May2003, are you sure that's what they quoted? $179? I think the most exp pair they've quoted me from the album was about $120 because hand-sewn pearls or florettes. You might want to double-check again!

Shirley,
May I be so insensitive as to ask what size are you? Can find dresses in Isetan also? Would love to check them out; any particular label I should look out for? Thanks for the advice!

Went Celia Loe to look for bridesmaid dresses; very limited selection cos I needed cream long dress.

Thanks girls! Gong Xi Fa Cai

tri

Mudpie, think GHA have quite a wide selection of simple gowns in all shades of colours.....maybe can chk them out for your bridesmaid dresses?

dont know wht my FMIL is waiting for, but I figured since FH also like not gan cheong, then i also don't worry so much. Anyway give me more time to lose fats hahahaha

shirley

hi mudpie,

No problem about that, we are all big size aren't we? I usually need a 14 or 16. I bought my dress at f.w.s. at isetan. I was acutally quite surprised that they have somthing in my size also. Nearly at the point of giving up searching. Search from centrepoint to taka then finally decided to just give isetan a try though usually isetan doesn't carry big sizes. Well, lady luck shining on me.
happy.gif
that's the reason i try not to buy something when i need it. Once i see something nice and it fits, i will buy it coz not easy to get nice stuff when the time is right. Currently trying to lose some 20 kg. so that i can weigh 55kg. yes that's right i'm now 75kg. that's how huge i am. But I'm trying..

Today my bro in law wedding, his wife is a bit on the big side too. Her gowns are wonderful. That kind of console me a little that gowns can be mtm and look nice, but then again i still think slim brides look best
happy.gif
Agreed? Well, if not why are we all talking about losing weight. Any pointers anyone ?

And also mudpie I am not bluedoey. I am shirley
happy.gif

tri

hi Shirley, me trying desperately to lose weight too!...but 55 kg is a bit too much for me...cant lose that much...my goal is between 60 to 65....FH says he doesnt like bones for his wife..must have a bit of meat :p

i actually signed up a package with Marie France. Just started so cannot comment on effects yet. But i lost 1.6kg over 1 wk just fr making changes to my diet, so im sure u can make it too.....
Kam pa te ne! (means jia1 you2 in jap)
happy.gif

shirley

hi tri,

I actually did sign up with cenosis last june also. Went for 3 sessions or so then stopped. Cos I realize that they also require us to exercise as well as make changes to diet. So i'm thinking without signing up with them, if i can do the above two things which are what is required to lose weight, why on earth do i need to sign up with them for?!?!?! But anyway I will still go back one of these days cos i have paid 3000+ Take it as shaping as i'm losing..consoling myself
sad.gif

mudpie

Hi tri,

May I know what is GHA? Where can I find this shop/label? Sorry, so swa ku hehe.

Hello Sunny,

I ain't no expert, but generally stiff fabrics (eg duchess satin) add weight/bulk, while soft fabrics (silk, crepe, tulle, organza) lose volume and so make you look smaller.

However my gown is duchess satin, which is what most gowns are made of, the big dressy kind that is. My designer Susan told me some people think got big hips then should not have big flowers or bows at the back; but it's not true, they can act as camourflage as in they make people think you are big there only because of the bows! Am I making sense? Hmmm...anyway everyone looks different, does not mean big then must take this fabric or neckline.

I am very strange in the sense that most big brides look better with V-neck, or necklaces that are V-shape. However I look BIGGER when I take V-shapes! I must take round ones. Weird huh? This is why you must try on the dress to see the actual effect. So do not go in with preconceived ideas about what looks good/bad. Good luck!

Hello Shirley,

Sorry to mix you up with Blurydoey
happy.gif
Where did your sis-in-law get her gown? I forgot where you are getting yours too. Big brides can look good, do not feel self-conscious. Small brides look good in their own way, while we look good in our own. Every bride is beautiful, so I believe in feeling good about myself. BTW I'm a UK size 18-20!!!

I've been fat most of my life; after coming out to work my weight went back to my obese teenage days (>80kg!!!!!!) so I am now very happy to just tone up (I hate exercises and love to eat! Doesn't help when my fiance always takes me out to makan
sad.gif
:p )

My family doc says do not waste money to go to slimming centres. Like you said, they also ask you to watch diet and make you exercise. You follow their instructions cos you heart pain the money paid. Plus when someone is there to monitor you and scold you when you slip up, you will consciously control.

When I was 14 I was sent to Outram Park health institute; my mom scolded me cos she also "kena scolding" by the doctor and nurses for "letting" me grow so fat! They are smart, pressurise my mom who in turn watches me like an eagle. I lost 12kg in 6-8 months. But afterthat the weight gain was controlled until I started work
sad.gif
Work stress makes me eat more lor.

Seriously I think we are all not "hopeless" until we need to go see doc. We just need more determination and discipline to exercise and control diet. No easy way out.

So buck up if you really want to lose weight! Eat less, exercise more, is the only way to go! Hehe! Now if only I can practise what I preach! Haha! :p

shirley

hi mudpie,

No problem there, bound to be some mix up here and there. My sis in law got hers at golden horse awards tampines branch. For me, have not started the search yet. want to settle the renovation first before even thinking about wedding gown and banquet, even though not much time... well will see how it goes..can't handle too many things at one time, work, house, family,...losing weight!!! hahahaa

sunny

Hi Mudpie

Thanks for your advise. what material you use for your EG? i think me more or less settle for my WG. using DS with organza

tri

Hi Mudpie,

GHA stands for Golden Horse Awards, there is one branch in Tampines, and one more but not sure where is it........

Hi Shirley,
MF didnt really insists i muz exercise, but diet changes are a must. Just told me to stay away fr fried stuff, and eat lots of veges and fruits, whh is easier for me since i already like veges and fruits...so eat more of those to substitute meat.

im sure u can lose enough to be mei mei!
happy.gif

mudpie

Hi girls,

I think there is another "mudpie" in the forum! Nuts, just hope others won't mistake her for me. I'm Mudpie who signs in cos I'm registered, just in case you all come across her in the same thread.

blurydoey

hi gals,
whao so many postings.
I also signed up wtih slimming centre, hopefully will help lor...we just cross our fingers.
shirley,
I am also a size 14-16.but mostly 16.
Mudpie,
Yup agree with u, all we need is determination n some ku li..we sure can make it.
I also have flowers n big can can for my wedding gown, but have not really tried the whole thing to see how it looks like on me...hope it turns out good.
sunny,
u can try a line dress n darker shades to make us look slimmer..

abrinas

Hi ladies

sorry for the late reply cos I was busy with my house after my PS on 13th. Glad my PS went well.
biggrin.gif

Hi Mudpie

Sorry for being so late in replying. My church is Telok Ayer Chinese Methodist Church. It is opp Amoy Street Food Centre. Me hving traditional methodist church. For church deco, actually getting someone at first but then later, got my my BIL's sister to help me cos she know's how to do flower arrangement and I know how to make pews so save this way.

I agree with u regarding the slimming centres. my mum's friend was like 90kg and she went to one of the slimming centres. after that, she was like ard 60kg then after that, she did not control n she continued to eat and now she is even more 'prosperous' - think ard 110kg now. Anyway, my FH says tt when he knows me, i m already like tt.

Hi blurydoey

My wedding's on 21 June. Me got problem finding the outdoor too but managed to find one in the end. Anyway, photographer say tt gown only see a bit for closeup n for outdoor, main emphasis is the scenery. Important is the indoor. So don't worry so much.
wink.gif

Hi shirley

We are the same size - me too ard 75kg but mine fluctuates but will not go >75. Quite consoling that it does not go >75 but my gynae keeps nagging at me to lose weight cos if hv baby next time, will hv problems cos our figure will balloon.
uhoh.gif

When's yr wedding? This year or next? I intend to settle wedding 1st then settle reno. Now doing a bit here n there. Going to paint it after CNY.

may2003

mudpie: LL quoted me S$ 179 for the open toes shoes plus i provided my own fabric some more. It is so ex because it has two rows of crystals. Anyway, i made the plain ones without any crystals for S$ 79. i intend to sew them on myself. Can get the crystals for 1 m at S$ 16 only...way cheaper than LL quoting me at S$ 50 for one row which is less than 1 m.

Mudpie, i am also with Jawn.

Shirley: i dont have the time to go to Peddle Works cos i need my shoe by March for ps. Also, i called them to ask how much it cost to custom made. They were suppose to call me back after they check but they didnt. So much for customer service.

shirley

Hi abrinas, true indeed lor, being overweight does not just make us look not as good, that are much more health concerns as well, esp in the many years to come. My wedding is tentatively on dec 2003. hasn't decided on a date yet cos busy with renovation.

hi may2003, i think the person who answered the phone must be one of the salesgirl. The salesgirl no use one. it's the boss who will provide good service, very polite very considerate. the boss is a man. Sorry for not telling you earlier. if you are interested in calling them again, get the girl to get the boss to speak to u on the phone
happy.gif

seraphim1970

Hey girls, consider ourselves big beauties cos we have more area for our men to love lah.

When I was preparing for my wedding last year, I was worried that I would look awful in my gowns as I a size 20/22 but my designer, Daniel Chua from Allure Charix Atelier did a wonderful job on both my wedding & evening gown.

17386.gif

blurydoey

shirley,
agree, not only we dun have nice clothes to wear, also health probs...N pple tend to look us in a different way.
abrinas,
glad to hear your photoshoot went well, can let us view when its ready??
I seem to lose interest in dieting liao, my wedding in sept n having ps in mar, but I think i didnt lose any more weight n its very demoralising..

abrinas

Hi shirley

Ya, my FH says tt he's so skinny n he does not need a skinny wife to make a pair of chopsticks. *hahahaha* This is my consolation.
biggrin.gif

Hi blurydoey

My photoshoot went on well n i bought extra photos. I can only collect them in April n will show u when I upload them.
happy.gif
Anyway, don't worry so much abt ps. Just communicate with the photographer like what u don't want to show on the photos. My photographer asked me tt time n i told him the most impt thing is cannot c my dbl chin, the rest is ok. Of cos must be nice lah!! He laughed n say tt's easy. *hahahaha* Don't worry, me worry like u previously 2 but who knows, the photos turned out well so u nvr know want.

blurydoey

abrinas,
opposite attracts mah..like me n my hubby he is introverted while I am more open...
I try not to worry, cause once I start worrying, I start to munch on food again...

shirley

bluedoey
I can't agree with you more! Peeople tend to look at us and think we are lazy, without even knowing us..sigh..sad..

How can lose weight leh? I love to eat, my hubby sama sama. And i really have no time to exercise. I go out at 6 plus in the morning to work and come home only at 7 plus...HELP!!!

blurydoey

shirley, these pple always judge pple on the outside in this world so sian.
The other time I buy mee pok, the stallman talked to me so fierce then another pretty slim girl came, wha he changed 180C see liao hor so angry of the treatment.
My ah lau works till 10pm, so he always eat at that time, so end up I will supper with him also..now not that bad got to control otherwise ask him go to the living room to eat instead of the room..
U can maybe do some light exercise just before sleep maybe can helps to tone n also better sleep.

pebbles

hello ladies...
me being missing for such a long time...how's everyone...???
sorry too lazy to read from the top...hope u girls dun mind...me asking silly questions...

Hihi Blurydory/joy2003
how's life???

Mudpie,
how are u??? your wedding over yet?? hope u r coping well with your new job..

Shirley,
i totally understand how u feel...i have pple telling me im big and looking at me from top to bottom too and not to mention pple telling me, hey u dun have much time left to your wedding so better watch what u eat....*sigh* so sick ah these pple...slim pple will never understand how we feel one lah..and yup i totally agree with u, losing weight needs lots of control and discipline

C

chub

Hi all,

How is everybody? I really haven't log in for a long long while. Hope everybody is doing fine.

Mudpie,

Was very happy to hear from you on your wonderful experience with jawn happy.ever.after. I have had my fitting recently too. Was so happy with my gown too as they really did a miraculous job making wonders on me. (hiding all my flaws)

I guess all of us do agree that we can still look good and nice
happy.gif
so let's buck up girls. Just be happy and we will look good.

Joy2003,

I guess you must be busy preparing for your wedding in mar. Must be feeling very excited. Can we take a look at your wedding photos. Are they ready.

Hi pebble,

Haven't heard from you for a long while.

Hi fifi,

Hope you are doing fine now. Haven't been seeing you for a long period. Hope your problems are solved now .

Welcome all new members, let's keep this thread alive again.

happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

seraphim1970

Hi girls, to diversify from bridal topic, for nice plus-sze clothings, go to Dorothy Perkins, their clothings very fashionable and 'chio'.
wink.gif
Check them out at:
Plaza Singapura #01-28 6238 1539
Seiyu Bugis Junction Level 1 6334 4670
Suntec City Mall #01-007 6336 6180
Tampines Mall #01-22/23 6787 7367

shirley

pebbles, exactly! I've got colleagues who are so skinny and they are still dieting and makes u feel like u are a pig!!

seraphim, can i just ask how's the price range like ??

seraphim1970

Hi Shirley, some of the blouses costs $30+, bootleg jeans range $90-$100, other items mostly $50-$100. Compare to other boutiques in Singapore that sells plus-size clothings, I think they are very reasonable and also more trendy.

soupie

Hi gals, if u happen to be at suntec also..can try BIFC collection beside Wanko... they do sell plus size fashion designs mainly from hong kong and they do have a few designs of gowns to choose from
happy.gif

soupie

it's at the 1st level...near wanko...opposite princess jewellery and yeah they do have another branch at marina square..next to charles & keith.

i'm short and plump..so i can't really take european designs since their lengths tend to be much longer and make me look old and too matured.. so i prefer fashion from hong kong since they fit asian frames but the headache is the size *sigh*...

shirley

went to check out dorothy perkins today. got really nice designs and in our sizes!!! thanx for the recommendation seraphim
happy.gif

seraphim1970

Hey Shirley, cool that you went to check out Dorothy Perkins!
biggrin.gif
First time I stepped in there, I spent a bomb!!! Didn't dare even to tell hubby ... heh heh. For girlies our size, very hard to find trendy clothes but Dorothy Perkins definitely made our wishes come true!!!

C

chub

Hi Stef,

Jawn happy ever after is located at orchard Meridien Hotel #03-16. Tel: 67361178. They are very friendly and their designs were unique and beautiful.

Please note that they are by appt only.
happy.gif

Hi all,

Have to agree that dorothy perkins have quite nice clothings especially their bootleg jeans and underwear(very reasonable and fanciful).

blurydoey

dunno y those skinny gers keep wanting to jianfei, jian bones is it??But i think all woman
thinks they are not perfect n always wanted to be better.
I also can let my gf know she also dunno where to buy big clothes..
BIFC has a branch in marina square also. I think in the first floor. Rather nice also n they come in bigger sizes too..

F

fat girl

I am a BIG size girl also. Depressing sometime when i go shopping. The feeling is just so bad that i stop shopping!!

O

ob-rider

hi gals, interestd to try DIY body toning kit? it does help to reduce inches acording to my fren. besides taking supplements to increase her metabolism rate and curb her appetite, she also take diet drinks to replace some of her meals. want to know more? write to me at [email protected]. don't want to get scolding from the other gals here :p

sandgirl72

hi gals... me too a big size bride (USA 16/18). after reading all the above posting, i'm so glad tat i'm not the only one who is big size. now i've found so many sisters who r facing the same problem as me.
bounce.gif

i'm getting ROM on 3 May 03 and now i m worried tat i cant find my ideal gown. i've arranged with my bridal studio to go fitting mid-mar, hopefully can find something from there.

if not, i'll try jawn.happy.ever.after cos it seems to be a hot recommendation by a lot of U... who is the best person to contact there? is their MTM charges exp?

for my clothings, i usually get fm Joan Allan at Scotts Shopping Centre and the sales staff over there r very helpful n patient. Lately also started to buy from Angels at Marina Sq.

seraphim1970

Hi sandgirl72, go to Dorothy Perkins, guarantee won't be disappointed:

STORE LIST
Plaza Singapura #01-28
6238 1539
Seiyu Bugis Junction Level 1 6334 4670
Suntec City Mall #01-007
6336 6180
Tampines Mall #01-22/23
6787 7367

M

ml

Hi Sandgirl72,

For Jawn.happy.ever.after, you can contact Euzart,
he is very friendly and nice (with a great sense of humour too). Maybe you would like to call him to enquire about the charges for MTM gown.

Alternatively, you can speak to Susan, heard that she is nice too, but i have not spoken to her.

sandgirl72

Hi Seraphim1970
Thanks a lot for the store list of Dorothy Perkins. Will definitely give them a check.
happy.gif

Hi ML
I've called Susan juz now and she sounded pleasant over the phone. most likely will make an appt to see her in mid mar as they need 3 weeks to a month to MTM a gown.

seraphim1970

Hi sandgirl72, I forgot to mention Dorothy Perkins sells regular plus-sizes clothes. I am a UK size 18/20, very hard to get clothes too but nowadays not so bad lah. When I got married last year, I had all my gowns MTM, only 1 gown I bought off the shelf from New York.

sandgirl72

Hi Seraphim1970, i n my gf went to PS trying to look for Dorothy Perkins but unable to find it. can U highlight to me where is it located near to?