Any big-sized brides with good boutiques to recommend?

B

big bride

Hello ladies,

I'm a very big bride-to-be (UK size 20/US 18); wary of going to bridal boutiques cos the gowns on display are so tiny!

Would love to know if anyone faced the same situation, and where you got your gown. I would like to have MTM gowns but need to see samples of big-sized gowns...need to know which designer is good with large-sized bridal gowns
happy.gif

Would love to hear from you all, thanks!

C

chub

Big Bride,

U can try going to Jawn. My sister is a big girl too and she had her gown done with them last year. She had a hard time looking for boutique that could design and do up a gown that is suitable as she faces the same problem as you.

When she met the designer, she realised that she could understand and comprehend her worries as she is on the bigger scale as well.

You can call them at 67361178 to make an appointment.

J

julia andrew

Hi Curious

I am getting married in Sept this month & I am well........big as in fat! I am with Dang Bridal, she is quite good with beading & she does fabulous cut for big ppl like me. Probably bcos she is big as well. She is located at Tiong Bahru Plaza 2nd floor. If u r keen, call her (Dang) at 62730352 for an appointment to try some of her gowns.

L

little_foot

Hi Curious/Big Bride,

You might like to try Jazreel Low Collections at 69, Tanjong Pagar. I saw a rather big-sized bride trying out a few gowns when I was there for my fitting the other day. They will let you try with no obligation and if you choose the MTM package, they will make a gown to your size with no extra charge. I know some places charge extra if our body is too big but JLC doesn't.

You can look for Anna. Tel: 6227 2229. Do call and make an appt with her, ya? Their designer Marcus will also design a gown that flatters your body and make you look slimmer. Don't worry, ya?

junebrides

Hi Big Bride

You could try Bridal Veil too. During one of my appointments, I saw a girl trying on her dress and I must say Michelle did a great job. The dress she wore was A-line with organza sleeves. Very romantic feel.

curious

thanks for all the replies. very touched by it
happy.gif
We still havent fixed our wedding date as such not very nice for us to visit these bridal shops with unknown date
sad.gif
anyway, will check them out.
by the way, Chub, I called Jawn for the whole day but noone answer the fone. do you know their operating hours?

L

little_foot

Actually, its no harm for you to just go look see and try their gowns. When I went brdal shop searching, I also did not have a date till 6 mths later. Just try to get a feel of the gown on you and then decide later.

chemson

Me a big sized bride too ! I am a size 14 !!! Try Flamingo bridal... marvellous service and they will MTM a dress according to your size !!! Am a happy bride and satisfied customer with them !
happy.gif
happy.gif

curious

hi littlefoot, thanks 4 the info. i went to jazreel low this evening to meet anna. she is very helpful and chatty. she lets me try a few wedding gown and surprisngly i can fit in most of them...my first time wearing a gown and the feeling is sooo good. the design is not bad and photograph is quite standard. so far so good and very satisfied with it. i am a size 14 but the bustier design looks quite good :>

L

little_foot

Hi curious,

Glad that you had a nice experience at Jazreel Low. Yup, their gowns are very flattering and their bustier gowns are really nice. Most importantly, they dun hard sell and instead encourage you to look around first before signing up with them. Hope you enjoyed your fitting there!

och

hi curious,

i'm rather big sized too n i went to margaret brides. i thot she did an excellent job, gorgeous designs n prompt service. a friend of mine who's big sized signed up with margaret too n she's also v. pleased.

pebbles

Hi curious,
Im a big sized bride too and i think im much worst off than u cos im actually a size 16-18 and i have got bridal shops giving me that kind of look when i want to try on gowns, being quite upset cos one of them just look at me and said, i dun think i have anything of your size..do u think JL will have my size

curious

Hi Pebbles,
Dont worry. I expressed my concerns to Anna that many brides to be fear that they might not get their size. She is very nice. Her suggestion is that you should go down and take a look. After all, everyone has the right to be a bride, right
happy.gif
Actually I havent fixed my wedding date yet; just that me hand iche so go and try out. I'll suggest you go down and take a look at their off the rack. They have quite a number of gowns; I am sure Anna will find something suitable for u
Dont worry too much

L

little_foot

Hi Pebbles,

I think JLC will be able to help you. They do not give brides funny looks even though how big sized the bride may be.

I have seen many caucasian ladies signing up with JLC as they are able to cater to their bigger frame size. Do give them a call: 6227 2229, look for Anna. I think she will be very happy to assist you.

Btw, I am a happy JLC bride and just thought I share my opinions with you all. Good luck!

B

big bride

Dear ladies,

I am very grateful for all your suggestions! Am very comforted to know I'm not the only big girl around
happy.gif

Pebbles, I know too well what you mean by those "looks". I went to a couple of boutiques along Tras Street and Tg Pagar area but didn't get to try on any gowns; too shy
embarrassed.gif
plus they said I never made appointment so they seemed rather reluctant to let me try...

I did go to a boutique which is supposed to have imported American gowns; alas they only have sample pieces in sizes 4 and 10 only! The assistant insisted I try the size 10; couldn't even zip up and the dressing area is quite "open", so you can imagine how embarrassed I was when she insisted I let her see...
embarrassed.gif
I do not dare go alone now, yet I feel even worse if I bring my small-sized friends...all of them always like the bustier design, but come on, I will look absolutely horrible in them with my hammy arms!!!
lame.gif

Thanks so much for all your suggestions; will keep you all posted so you can pass on more suggestions to others like me ok? Keep the suggestions coming!!!

Cheers!

pebbles

Hi ladies, thanks for all the suggestions,

Big bride, i really understand how u feel, i felt really depressed when i went to check out those gowns with my small sized frens, i always ask my FH, i wonder if there are any other girls who r having the same problem as me and im sure glad there are some more girls like me...
happy.gif
and hey, i really hate those designers boutiques whom just turn u down just b'cos u didn't make an appointment with them, don't they realise that we are also potential customers...
happy.gif

Hey ladies, i heard from my frens, Bridal Zone have some big size gowns too cos they too had some big size brides so can check them out too..
happy.gif

ok then..
happy.gif

B

big bride

Hello Pebbles,

I agree with you entirely about those designer boutiques and making of appointments!!! I am definitely a potential customer and you can't expect me to make appointments with all boutiques before going in right? Afterall I'm getting a feel of the people and the designs only...got to shop around mah!

So far where else have you checked out? My fiance and I went to IMM on a Sat and the moment we got out of the carpark, we got dragged into Bridal Zone! It was a 2 hr-long hard-sales pitch, got us really scared. My friend also got dragged in and since she is quite the "chin-chye" type of person, she signed up with them
happy.gif
Don't think she has any complaints tho...at least I did not hear any. Let me check it out with her again ok? Will get back to you guys
happy.gif

But my one pet peeve is going to Marina Square and Suntec bridal fairs. The sales people there are always sooooo aggressive, and be careful of this common trick. The owner/salesman will stick out his hand to shake your FH's hand, and when your polite FH innocently shakes it, my goodness! The guy will not let you go and literally drag you into the shop/booth!!!! Be careful and do NOT touch them ok??? I've seen this too many times already.

Once I was in Suntec with a gf and decided to pop by; the moment I stepped into the area, this irritating old man kept on insisting he saw me only last month, and that I must be interested that's why I am returning. Never had I gone to a Suntec Bridal fair before, and there is this old man insisting that I LIED and he recognised me!!! I couldn't describe my fury then!

The worst thing was he was making such a scene, walking after me and kept going on and on in his loud voice that he recognised me, no need to bluff him cos he recognised me and that I was there only last month. Don't know what's his problem.

I will never ever go near the Suntec bridal fairs again!!

Until then, love to hear from you all
happy.gif

Cheers,

chemson

Hi Big Bride,

I understand how you feel. Went bridal shopping with a gal fren and we went to two designer boutiques (both along Tras St.. dun want to name names).. can imagine the kind of look one gave me cos I did not make an apptm and they kept staring at me when I was browsing through their gowns. The other also said that I should have made an apptm but she served me anyhow.

Anyway, the only one that invited me to try their gowns and even though I did not make an apptm.. and she did not put me down cos of my big frame.. she served me graciously and was so friendly towards me by taking gowns out around my frame even though they dun fit me but I am grateful for her patience and warmth.. and that's Flamingo Bridal...
happy.gif

pebbles

Hi Big Bride,
i have checked out quite a few designers bouq but so far i only encounter two which gave me that u r so big , we dun have anything for u to try on..kind of look then i got so upset, i didn't want to look around anymore recently i happen to be at Marina sq, that's when i was quite attracted by their photos then the lady was very nice and friendly and best of all, didn't do the hard core sales thingy so i was quite impressed and she keep assuring me that there are brides much bigger than me and they to manage to find gowns that fit them but i have not seen any of their gowns yet. The package they are providing me is very comphensive but my FH wants me to look around but im getting abit sian of the attitude these bridal shops gives me that's why i wanted to sign up with bridal zone already however, im not sure if they are good lor...
i didn't know bridal zone had a branch in IMM ah, so their service is very bad ah, hard core sales is it...funny why that lady was so differnt, really no hard core sales...could u check with your frens if they are ok..and how's their gown collection

B

big bride

Hi there Pebbles,

Bridal Zone was at IMM (previously at WTC under name of HK Broadway...same people, diff names and locations, so confusing hor? )before they moved to Marina Sq. So far I know 2 brides have signed up...so far so good.

I also agree they have the usual,typical comprehensive package from gowns to flowers and photography. For those prices, it's pretty good I think
happy.gif
I will get more feedback from my friend, cos her wedding was last DEc and she's so busy she never replied my mail. Will keep you updated lor
happy.gif

Hello Chemson,

Thanks for your empathy ;) I will check out Flamingo Bridal like you did...thanks for the suggestion!
happy.gif

Cheers,
BB

pebbles

hi big bride,
thanks for all your feedback, i went into the thread on bridal zone and learn that the bridal zone at IMM have closed down just now what u have told me and all the brides there are very happy with their service so i think i will go check out their gowns cos i have yet to see it but then again, with my size sure have to take MTM so if i can tell them the designs i want, i think they should be able to do quite a gd job lah hor..
happy.gif

so by the way, when is your wedding...??? have u seen any bridal gowns that u like so far..???

B

big bride

Hiya Pebbles,

Go with your feelings...if you feel good there, then go ahead. Afterall what one bride finds nice or good may be ugly to you...it's all very personal, no good or bad right? Hope you can get what you want at Bridal Zone. Getting MTM is good, c os you can control...but I've heard of a bride who actually preferred the OTR gowns that the boutique altered for her photo shoot to the one MTM for her!

When I was there I said I'd prefer MTM, the lady (called Anna I think) said even *I* do not need MTM! She said OTR can easily be altered to fit...you can ask them for maybe the L sized gowns, pick some you like and get them to alter. So maybe it's not a must to get the MTM lah.

For me no hope liao, MTM maybe even got extra charge for the extra material! Haha!

My wedding is next May...at first thought alot of time, but with work piling up, things can go out of hand if I'm not careful
happy.gif
I've finally settled my church venue so now can finally concentrate on hunting for my gown!! My colleagues were horrified I did not get a gown before booking hotel and church; to them dress is wwwwaaaaayyyy up there as number 1 priority! Hehe actually for me I'd have loved to shop for the dress 1st but being practical, I knew it's tougher to book hotel
happy.gif

Aiya, must go gown hunting whenever I can spare the time!!!

When is your wedding? Let's keep each other updated, yah?
happy.gif

Cheers,
BB

pebbles

Hi Big Bride,
hey...dun say that about yourself lah, u have not seen me, im big size too and i bet they won't have any otr gowns for me one...that lady also told me i can fit those gowns OTR but i doubt so lah,was thinking i might have a much nicer gown if i have it MTM, but my FH wants to check out other bridal shops in case i regret after signing up with bridal zone cos i might end up seeing something much better..
happy.gif

so u have got your hotel already..
happy.gif
that's good, where are u having yr wedding...for me, i will be having my wedding in 2004, a bit KS rite to be searching for gowns and stuff but i guess i really hate to get things done at the very last min..
happy.gif

yup, will sure keep u updated..
happy.gif

curious

Hi all,

maybe we all should go together..hehe
guess my wedding plan will be delayed to next year
sad.gif
as the geomanist suggest us to delay..

louie

Hihi girls...

Can I join in too? Me also a big bride!!! hee hee
biggrin.gif

I have booked my bridal with Seletar Broadway (SB)... I was one of those who were conned at the Suntec bridal fairs. I came home to read the SB thread... whew... they seemed quite good afterall. But I can't be sure if they are good for a BIG bride like me!
uhoh.gif

My wedding will be April 2003...
happy.gif

pebbles

Hi Louie,
of course u r welcome to join us..
happy.gif
all brides are welcome....
happy.gif
i have not sign up with any bridal shops yet but still looking around, i think i also have alot of problem finding a gown off the rack but not to worry lah, can MTM what..
happy.gif

J

joy2003

Hi Gals,

Didn't notice this thread..till today. Joining in with you gals
happy.gif
hope not too late.

I am also a big-sized bride.
happy.gif
I have signed up with Jazreel Low. Yes, they are nice people, won't mind me being big.
happy.gif

Anyone of you gals have intention to try slimmer centres? I saw Expression advertisment lately..quite interested to find out more.
happy.gif

chemson

Hi joy2003,

Dun encourage slimming centres... you may be able to sign up a course with them and upon completion.. they will do all sorts of ways to convince you to sign more... what's impt that people like our sizes have low metabolism rate.. therefore, we need to exercise more, moderate what we eat.. dun snack too much and perhaps cut down on your intake of carbohydrates... that's what I have learnt so far...
happy.gif
Just my 2 cents worth..
happy.gif

fifi

Hi, This is previously curious. Guess I better gave myself a better nicknamed. I dont encourage slimming centre either. Somehow just got the impresssion that it always con people. The only way to slim down healthily is to cut down on food intake and to exercise regularly. I was a size 16-18 a years ago due to same excessive eating disorder. However, after I changed my eating order, I have since became a size 12/14. and finally my BMI is normal. hehe..though my body fat ratio is slightly on the high side due to lack of exercise. Thus, I strongly encouraged those who want to slim down to exercise regularly. In that case, you can be a healthy bride.
happy.gif

anyway, enough on dieting. anyone tried out others bridal shops that have big sized gowns to be try out?

pebbles

Hi Hi, to all big size brides, more than welcome to join in,wow, im so motivated to lose weight after reading fifi posting but im having such a hard time trying to lose weight and my frens always make fun of my size cos i used to be a size 12 but now a size 18 and i have being having so much problem getting back to my old size...

hey, joy2003, like what the rest mention, it's really not advisable for u to go for all these slimming centres cos they always con pple one...

J

joy2003

Fifi, care to share how did u manage to slim down so much?? Guess, the advertisement of Expressions really tempt me to give it a try.. :)

I am currently doing regular exercise at Amore.

As for bridal shop, you try Jazreel Low, Yvonne Creative, J&M Bridal & Photography, Dang, etc.

fifi

Hi all, To be frank, I also dont know how I managed to shed away the pounds. Guess it is all thanks to my bf. When I first met him, I was very plump and big due to some excessive eating disorder..hehe..imagined i can take 5 buns from bread talk at one shot and after that, can still go for lunch..really scary. After we started going out, initially on the first few months, I was still quite plump. However, I cut down on my foods intake, ie, only 3 meals a day with lots of fruits and vegetables. I dont really take meats and I cut down on my carbohydrate intake especially at night.

chemson

Hi gals,

I am like fifi too... very plump and big but guess it is our wedding day and you are particularly motivated to lose weight..
happy.gif
Most importantly.. cut down on the food intake.. cut down on the carbos and drink plenty of water !!
happy.gif

M

miserable fifi

hi all, guess what. I have a big fight with my bf over the world cup. sigh..

J

joy2003

Hi Fifi,

What happened?? What's the big fight over the world cup about?

Hope things are alright now.

B

big bride

Hi there all World Cup widows,

After tonight your misery will be over! Hehe...my fiance is a golf nut, but we do watch the world cup matches whenever we have nothing better to do! :p

Well, I'll be popping down to Jazreel Low's to look see...so far they have been the nicest, very prompt with e-mail reply. Do give them a try!!!

Will keep you gals updated once I've gone there ok? Keep coming back for updates!

Cheers,
BB

J

joy2003

Hi BB,

I went down to Padang to watch the live match with my FH. Wow... it was so crowded!! We have no choice but to walk over to Suntec to watch. Guess what, my FH is not a soccer fan but I am the one that wanted to watch the match!! haha...cos' I am the more active one!!
happy.gif

All the best to your visit to Jazreel Low. Oh yes, they are having their bridal show on 14 July at Orchard Hotel. Do go down and take a look!
happy.gif

Hear from you again then
happy.gif

pebbles

Hi ladies,
so i guess the World cup fever is finally over ah..
happy.gif
so anyone else tried out any other bridal shops, think i might check out Jazreel low too, hey...any of u girls want to meet up, sure feels like we have known each other for a while and it's good to know im not the only one feeling this way when i walk into the bridal shops...i would sure love to meet up with u ladies

irene

Hi Pebbles,

I'm big size bride to be too....

Me... ROMing on 09/09/02. Just started "hunting" for bridal pkg... Can I join in ??

fifi

I will be going down to Jawn happy ever after this week to take a look at their design. by the way, anyone going to Jazreel Low's wedding show in orchard hotel on 14th?
irene: welcome ot the group

pebbles

Hi Irene, welcome to the group, the more the merrier

Hi fifi, i didn't know Jazreel Low's having a wedding show on the 14th, must i pay for it and how do i go about resigtering if im interested in going...i thought of going for the graceful image one but think given a choice i will rather go for Jazreel since it's both on the same day

J

joy2003

Hi Pebbles,

Did you get a copy of the latest Her World magazine? There is the registration form for Jazreel Low's Bridal show. If not, you can call up Orchard Hotel, check out with the banquet staff, they will assist you. It's $18 for per couple (I think should be $18). I will be at the show
happy.gif

Graceful Image is much more expensive and do have hidden cost. I liked their gowns, but upon visiting them, I find their package expensive and read the thread on Graceful Image, quite a no. of hidden cost. So, forgo it.

Hi Fifi,

I had visited Jawn Happy Ever. Susan and Ezuart are both very nice people to talk too. I didn't get to see their actual gowns, though. May you have a good time with them.

Hi Irene,

Welcome to the thread!
happy.gif
So, which bridal boutiques have you visited? If you need advices, do let me know
happy.gif

pebbles

Hi joy2003, thanks for the inform, i think i bought the lastest edition, will check it out later, yup, i think i agree with u, i heard much bad things about Graceful image so i think i would love to attend Jazreel low's bridal show

By the way, do i need to make an appt with Jawn happy ever if i would like to look at their package this weekend

fifi

hey..i dont have to pay for the package..all i have to do is just called Jazreel Low and told them that I want to attend the show. They will mail the package over.
Joy: Hows the package/photo at Jawn?

I havent do any research lately as I am busy at work and also trying to book a getaway to Malaysia next week..

hows everyone doing?

C

chub

Hi Pebbles

I think you better make an appointment with Jawn if you intend to meet them as they are by appointent only.

irene

Hi joy2003 & all,

So far I only visited Wedding News, Paris (my fren took their pkg), InWedding & Le Galleria. Hvn't got a chance to try their gowns yet... didn't bother to ask bcoz... afraid no size for me..

Also been to Plaza Singapura last weekend for the wedding planner & visited (bths only not boutiques) City Bridal, Fame & Santiago.

hv any of u try any gowns fm any shops/boutiques ?? Any suggestions on which shops should I go ?? Or should we go together ?? hahahaha... just a suggestion only..

fifi

HI Irene, I was there at Plaza sg too. but the gowns are so so only. anywa, good idea that we can go together though my marriage date is not firmed up yet..ehhe
I will report back after my appt with Jawn Happy Ever After