Any advise on selecting a suitable mattress ?

bubble

Hi,

Presently, i'm looking for a king size mattress. However, i'm not sure of how to select one. The Slumberland promoter told me that a 1200 springs is more suitable for us. He mentioned that we shd choose according to our age and weight. Another promoter told me to try and see which is more suitable. Pls advise.

bubble

Hi,

Forget to add- anyone bought from Aero Furniture at Apollo Centre? They mentioned that their mattress is the lowest in mkt and they gurantee it.

Y

yi

hi bubble,

I have got a Dunlopillo queen-size mattress at Mega Mattress at S$600plus with free mattress protector. Itz strongly recommended by the shop owner. Itz 9" high!

K

kk

bubble,

what i heard is that simmons and slumberland mattresses are good. the springs are lasting
happy.gif

Dunlopillo is a old old brand. Good too!

angy

I believe the spring will only last longer if you bother to flip the mattress every three months. If you do not bother to do that, sooner or later, the mattress will sag.

Usually, it is the middle part that is the firmest after sleeping on the mattress for one year or two.

If you agree that the spring last longer on the more expensive one , than why not buy the cheap one and you can replace them every few years.

For beds, there are only two types. Pocketed springs or sprial springs that are fixed at specific positions. The hardness and softness of the bed is the amount of stress/strain of the spring can take/offer. For pocketed springs, the springs are individually packed and placed inside the mattress.

Last if you are really serious about good mattress, I suggest Sealy. Check out their website. Very expensive though.

K

kk

angy,

i believe sealy is under simmons or slumberland rite?

hazel

bubble

i will go with try the mattress and feel for yourself whether you like the firmness of the mattress or not. no point following 'formula' as in age vs weight. the firmness of mattress is very subjective to individual likings, as in one may like to sleep in a firm mattress and the other may prefer a not so firm one (like myself).
but of cos there is a theory behind the age vs weight. pple with older age group may hv backache and prefer firmer mattress, those heavy weight pple should take firmer mattress to 'hold' their weight.

you may want to go Rolands furniture at west coast
to select the mattress, they will give you adv and good price.

Y

yi

hi gals,

you all can also go to Mega Mattress to look at their mattresses. Think they advertise on TV recently.

Bought my dunlopillo there, the Jurong branch at NTUC Lifestyle Centre.

angy

kk,

no Sealy is not under Simmons or Slumberland.

It is made in America.

I went to Sealy warehouse (which is close to Paya Lebar MRT)

forgetmenot

Hi,

I bought a sealy mattress.....i went to the try on it,find tt is not bad....
i find tt at least it is not so ex as simmons....anyway heard tt sealy is no. 1 in US,but dunno how true is it.......
just keep my fingers crossed and hope tt it is really wat the sales person said,n it is lasting . :p

angy

Hi,

Yes, it is definitely no 1 in US alright.

When I was there in Jan 2002, it seems every bed shop is selling the Sealy's brand. Even the newspaper has lots of advertising on Sealy's bed.

However, the prices are cheaper in the US than here. Of course, due to the freight cost.

K

kk

angy,

i stay near paya lebar mrt.. will pop by and take a look when the time comes.

which part of the station is it located?

angy

kk,

the phone is 6475 6166

I just check the website, I think they have shifted to Leng Kee Road now.

unique

Hi Bubble,

I have juz bought my mattress from Aero at Apollo. You should go there n take a look cos the salesman is good.

Before tat, me n my hub always wonder what is the difference btw all the diff brands of mattress. So when we approach the salesman, he actually let us try n explain in details wat are the difference.

The good part about going there is that it is not crowded thus u can try n sleep down there w/out pple staring at u. Plus the salesman will let u rest down there as long as you like.

The prices I tink is reasonable. Cos the salesman did tell me that if I can c anytin cheaper then what he has charged I can always go back for the balance refund (even if I m using the Robinson which gives me the 5% disc). As i buy the simmons mattress, I have no idea whether this is meant only for Simmons or it applies to the rest of the mattress.

I guess it is better if u go down n have a look.

jas

Hi everybody,

i juz bought a queen-sized mattress from Seahorse. I tink now they r having sale, & its worth buying. The bed is quite firm & hard type, & not spring. I have using Sea-horse mattress for 5 yrs & its still in tip-top condition.....

For spring mattress, the spring will break into two as time goes by & won't last & then u have to buy new ones again, even though its quite comforatable bcoz of the springs. Juz my two cents advice....
biggrin.gif

ryan

hi,

Anyone tried Perfecta Mattress? or using Perfecta now? Do you guys think its a value for money investment? Its quite expensive i think? Went to a recent Expo, the queen size mattress alone cost about 1.3K it says its good for people with back problem, coz it has the 'memory' foam??? No idea what does that means. any1 to share?

S

sleepyblurry

hi,
juz started shopping for mattress and would love to have some tips.
Noticed that mattresses come in different pricing-what's the difference? very blur abt this.
juz saw a Simmon king mattress advertised at a discounted price of $1,299 (from $1899 i think). Is it what someone wld normally pay for a king size mattress - is it too expensive?
Appreciate some help and many thanks.

E

eme

Hi Sleepyblurry,

The price of the bed differ depending on what you want and how much you are willing to spend. $1899 is not the most expensive. Since mattress is very important as you spend 1/3 of your life sleeping on bed, it is worth buying a good mattres for good sleep.

I am willing to spend more on the mattres and if you have the money, ther is one mattres you can buy, it has the space technology call vascol elastic by King Coil, it is very comfortable and fit to your body curve. But the last time I saw on robinson sales, it cost about $2200, usual price is $3000+.

snow

ryan ngan

i recommend you to get your mattresses from Rolands Furniture at west cost road. they sell different brands eg: King Koil, Dunlopillo, Perfecta etc. and their prices are cheaper than other shops, call them to check. tel: 7730211

S

sleepyblurry

Hi Eme,
thanks for your help. I wasn't too sure if a mattress shld cost so much money since all the while i'm sleeping on one that is about $600 with the divan and headboard at my parents' place.

Agree that one spends more time sleeping on a mattress so it is important to get a good one. Perhaps the one you suggested is out of my budget.
You know of any brand/model of king size mattress in the region of $1-$1.5K? Preferrably with the type of spring that if one is sleeping and the other moves about on the bed, it doesn't affect the sleeping person. Also, not too soft as my FH has back problems.

Anyone can help? Many thanks.

E

eme

Hi Sleepyblurry,

I think for the budget of $1k to $1.5k, you could get a good mattress already. The one that you mentioned is call pocket sprint. So far beside the one I mentioned earlier, this range of mattress is my second choice if I dun have enough money for my first choice.

I believe so far I tested out King Coil it is rather good, I am not sure about other brand as I have not try out the rest before. with your budget you can get the pocket spring mattress.

S

sleepyone

i agree with eme on the fact that you spend so much time on the bed. its amazing that pple are not spending much thots and time on selecting a good mattress.
my hubby and i are using one from simmons. paid quite a bit for it but hubby has a bad back, so would rather "invest" in a good one and get a peace of mind. no complains about the bed so far. we have been getting good sleep.

at the end of the day, buying a mattress is like buying a house, a car etc. you have to like it. most humans are biased anyways.
go to the showroom and try lying on the mattresses. take your time to try out and dont feel pressurised by the sales persons.
have fun!

apple

ryan ngan

to my knowledge, 'memory foam' is a better type of foam which will conform to your body contour.
you mean the price that they are selling at expo is $1300???? i am very SHOCK as Rolands furniture is selling the same thing at ONLY $700.
you can check with them tel: 7730211/7755525 look for Kelvin.

S

sleepyblurry

Thanks everyone for being so helpful.
I probably take a while longer to decide then - It is juz that we saw a simmons king beautycare celebrity mattress at discounted price of $1,299 and we were tempted to buy. Of course, it was quite comfy as compared to the other mattresses in the shop (though the shop din hv a large range). The shop is left with last 2 pcs for the sale so we din noe if we shld make a quick decision to go for it.
not sure if we shld scout ard looking at other brands or decide on simmons now.

S

sleepyblurry

Ooops...I had the wrong mattress model juz now. It shld be BeautyRest not BeautyCare.

Any comments on Simmons BeautyRest Celebrity mattress?

Thanks
happy.gif

vous

re: simmons... i think the beautyrest series is very comfy... firm enough for most people but still comfy. but if you're looking for better back support, maybe should try to backcare series. pick the lower number one (1 to 4) if the price or hardness is too much for you... :D

we got a beautyrest one cos we like the comfy feeling. oh btw, names like "celebrity" or "elegance" tend to differ between shops, e.g. if you find it in robinson's you dun necessarily find it at the simmons gallery... so......

ryan

Hi Apple/Snow,

Ya lor, I'm also not so sure what model is that Perfecta that gonna cost so much.. I clearly rememeber its around 1.3K The sales person at the recent expo keep pushing n pushing..!! We were so tempted to buy it. Lucky my mind rules over my heart, decided to check around for the price first.. but both of us tried and it feels quite alrite. However, since its foam mattress, i wonder would it be very warm sleeping on it? anyone got any experience? So Rolands sells Perfecta as well.. good.. thanks for the source.

Ryan

C

comfy

We just got our Slumberland's Royal Crown Mattress, its very confortable... a big ex though...abt 2.1K...

M

mattress expert

HI ryan,

Visco-Elastic Foam is a revolutionary Open Cell Space-Age foam made of polyurethane foam that was developed for NASA in the early 60’s. Its intent is to dramatically reduce the effects of the excessive G-Forces that Astronauts experience during take-off and re-entry. Visco-Elastic Memory Foam has come a long way in the past forty years. There are several manufactures of Visco-Elastic Foam

So unique are the properties of visco-elastic foam that it continually adjusts and molds to the weight and shape of your body. Continuously reacting to the weight and body temperature of the user, it dramatically minimizes pressure points, thus reducing tossing and turning, significantly improving circulation noticeably reducing PAIN and DISCOMFORT associated with disruptive sleep.

Recommended by thousands of medical professionals around the world. Visco-Elastic Foam has been used in the medical field for years. It has shown tremendous results in the treatment and cure of pressure sores and helping to relieve pain and discomfort following surgeries and other situations requiring extended bed rest. These products are by no means a cure-all but they have provided so many people with relief and have been such a blessing to those who have had difficulty sleeping.

Hope this helps.

S

sleepyblurry

Hi everyone,
thanks for all your advice.

i went for another round of mattress shopping and we hv more or less narrowed down to Simmons BeautyRest Canterbury or King Koil - the one with the Viscose layer (can't remember the model)

Shld be making a decision by tomorrow since there is a promotion going on at the moment.
happy.gif

guppy

Hi mattress_expert,

we came across the Visco-Elastic Foam too while shopping for mattress and find it impressive,but did not buy it.
because
1) I don't really feel the diff, though my hubby did
2) I dun trust foam in the long term, cos foam normally will flatten in the long run
3) because of the slow recovery of the foam to the normal height, you might drop into the "hole" u created urselves, if you turn from one side to the other, then turn back...won't u get a fright from it (if u r sound asleep) ?

ryan

Hi Guppy.

Actually I was also evaluating the so call Visco-Elastic Foam bed from Perfecta. Those concern which you mentioned above were also part of my concern.. esp the part on point 3.. come to think of it.. will it really be comfortable? However it is said to reduce toss and turning man.. sighh.. tough choice.. tough choice..!! However, I'm still grateful to Mattress_Expert for his clarification.

I'm also considering King-Koil.. my wife to be has a back problem.. so she might need something harder i guess? Any experience to share anyone?

jazz

HI Ryan,

I think if you prefer a harder bed, the most suitable choice could be slumerland. If you would like to try king-koil, I think there is a type which is extra hard compared to the standard ones.

I would suggest you to go down to Mega Mattress at Balestier to try the different beds. They have a variable such as dunloppilo (pardon my spelling), king koil, slumberland etc (cannot remember if there's any more). The lady gave a few recommendations on the different beds and we get to try sleeping on those beds for testing.

We bought my king koil mattress just a couple of weeks ago from there. They were giving us a 10% discount. Not sure if it's cheap compared to outside. But since it's within our budget, and to save trouble of sourcing again, we decided to buy from there.

nac

Hi all,
anyone bought or is thinking of buying a Four Star Mattress. The latest range, known as Detense, seems quite impressive. Is Four Star a local brand? How does it compare to brands like King Koil and Slumberland? Price? Where to get Four Star mattress at good prices? Saw the Suntec Expo but don't know whether the price is cheap.

manz

Tried the Four star, king koil.... personally feel that its not as good as Simmons & Slumberland.... so...we eventually bought the Slumberland "Royal Crown".... a bit ex thought...$2K++...=o)

ryan

After hearing so many comments and recommendation.. Really spoilt for choices man.. but i guess I would probably stick to KingKoil, went to try out 1. Cant really recall, the sales person said its good for pple with back concern. Quite hard and comfortable.. and It cost about 1K after Robinson discount.. I guess i'll have to pop by Roland and Mega to check it out.. pretty impressed with Roland sales person.. very detail and sound sincere over the phone.

nac

Hi Manz,
does your Slumberland "Royal Crown" include bed frame, divan set? How many pocketed spring? Have you heard about the Masterpiece series? The 2k++ is for king size?

manz

its just the mattress...cost abt 2.2K.. 1600 pocketed spring.... its actually a set with Divan & headboard...all done up in embroidery .... but we find it too cheena... A full royal crown QUEEN set(with Divan, Mattress & Headboard)cost abt $3200....as we like the mattress....so only got that... =o)
Royal Crown is the most expensive series according to the Sales ppl.... maybe its also the Masterpieces series u are talking abt.... u can go to the exhibition at Suntec.... saw their dealer there with the series too... but as they are the dealer... might be more expensive than the direct sales from Slumberland....
Hope it helps... =o)

elephant

Have you heard of RESTONIC?? I was shopping around at SAFE Superstore and came upon this brand. The sales person told me that this brand is very popular in US and comes with a 15 year warranty.

I was told that 5 stars hotel like Hyatt,uses RESTONIC. But i find it too unbelieveable as it is giving 60% discount...and the king size mattress still cost as much as $2000++.
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

The sales person told me that the original price is ard $5000++....mmh..(got mattress so expensive in the market meh??) btw, the price that was quoted to me is only for the mattress....no bed frame,no divan!!

but,the mattress is really comfortable..especially the 'Mona Lisa' range!!
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

nac

Hi Manz,
where did you get your slumberland mattress from? We did not see this series at the Suntec exhibition. Does the Royal Crown include manual toftings (the cotton pieces beneath and on top of the matress)

I also noticed that Slumberland mattresses are actually quite expensive compared to the King Koils and Four Stars.

shook

Would like to have comments on Dunlopillo Athrocare (not sure if I spelled it correctly) matress and the pros n cons 4 divan vs bed frame. Kindly share your view.

manz

Hi nac,
Nolah, the Royal Crown mattress is at the exhibition at Suntec... we saw it there last Sunday(not sure if its removed)...its directly at the entrance.... =o)
Yup, Royal Crown mattress include Toftings... =o)
Yup, its expensive... initially have budget of $800.... & find that can only buy mattress from King Koil, Dunlopillo etc....which we find them very uncomfortable... so...eventually we bought the Royal Crown which give us the same comfort of Simmon's Backcare series... but Cheaper...
U can visit them at IMM also.... the Royal Crown series is there too... =o)

manz

Hi Nac,
the Royal Crown series has 3600 pocketed springs... just bought another for my parent from Sleeping Gallery at IMM yesterday.... =o)

manz

1850....mattress only.... with one mattress cover.... 2 pillow & 1 bolster.... got this price becos we went for 2nd purchase.... normal price is $2150