Annulment

forwad

Anyone of u guys know how much time it takes for annulment? my wife agreesto annul e marriage, however I’ve yet to receive any notifications from lawyers or him. Our ROM date is end of this month, if we dun annul I worry that we can’t annul the marriage anymore after the due date. She said she’ve proceeded with it, but how true it is I have no idea. I dun dare to bug her over this as I dun wanna piss her off and she’ll go back on her words to annul the marriage.

She called to ask my mum for my income I don’t know y she needs it for. I worry she wants to file for alimony a/g me. We have no children and property currently.

forwad

can someone advise mi on this? quite urgent as i dun have much time left..

would like to know how long annulment takes.. wondering maybe my ex wife have filed for annulment but i'm not informed yet as it takes a long time, or she did not file at all and wanna claim alimony a/g mi since she asked for my income..

advice pls guys thx..

xiaozhunic

To annul...it takes at least 5 to 8 mths before the whole thing could end...So now...i guess it all depend on ur wife...see when she is going to submit all the doc.

forwad

she refuses to let me do it.. she calls the shots.. i passed her the money for the lawyer fees but yet to hear from her.

Forward,

Your wife is very ultimate. Even if you managed to get the answers to your questions, you would still need to know about the progress, which stage of the annulment you are at and the answers can only be gotten from her. If she doesn't want to talk, she may be purposely making things difficult for you. Have you done anything to cause the marriage to break up which resulted in her doing this to you?

Your problem should be to try to get her to talk to you on the progress of the annulment, not on answers to your general questions posted earlier.

vios

Forward, my advise for you is to get your own lawyer - know the facts and procedure first - and since she is not keen to update you on the progress, why don't you opt to handle the annulment with another lawyer?

little_a

forward, annulment has no timeframe. don't have to file for the annulment within one year... my ex-hubby also took a very long time, no news from him... in the end I went ahead to find the lawyer myself and settle the annulment on my own. All he needed to do was to sign on the paper. I appeared in court and paid for the legal fees.

little_a

Bewildered, I spent $3k to settle my annulment.

Van, yes we bought a BTO flat. At that time it wasn't ready so what we did was to complete a form and send it back to HDB. Just have to return it to HDB. But we forfeited 50% of the deposit. This was borne by my ex hb.. I paid for the legal fees.

chelody

for annulment who is the party supposed to go to court? e one who proposed to file for it or the other party?

will they send letters to inform both e hb n wife of the hearing date n time, but only one of them is supposed to attend? i received e letter recently, but i'm not in sg and my ex hb refused to reply to me on the status. since i did not read the letter i do not know the content. so i'm wondering if they will mail to the wife as a formality. but it's actually the hb who filed for the annulment who is supposed to attend.

pls advise thx

tearsofjoy

Hi Chelody, by right the letter from lawyer shld also be sent to the wife. not sure why it is not so. both will have to attend the court session. On the day of court session, you will know if annulment is successful or not.
By the way, does anyone happen to know if one has to produce the certificate of annulment on next marriage? if yes, when do we submit? Thnks

angeldust99

little_ash: can i ask you annulment isit must do within a year. if after a year is consider divorce?

annulment isit after tat status will go back to single.how long will it takes? anyone knows please help.

smileguy

In the eyes of law u are consider single..marriage is consider void or never happen b4..take abt 3-6mths to settle everything..depend on how fast all documents is submitted and process..

angeldust99

thanks smileguy..but must i annul within a year or marriage?annulment isit must do within a year. if after a year is consider divorce?

smileguy

hmm...got to check with tat ash ..but she seldom log in..i go get her if i happen to see her online..or y not check wif ur lawyer..

little_a

little_ash: can i ask you annulment isit must do within a year. if after a year is consider divorce?
no. according to my lawyer. as long as you can prove/support your case there is no fixed period.

annulment isit after tat status will go back to single.how long will it takes? anyone knows please help.

yes. your marital status is single. depends on how co-operative the other party is. I submitted my case in oct and got my annulment in feb. so it took approximately 6 months. just let the lawyer knows that you want to expedite the case.

little_a

hi js, my ex hubby was very co-operative and didn't contest. so we managed to annul on the basis of non-consummation. besides our flat was not ready then and we really did slept in separate rooms.

little_a

i had my rom and customary on the same day. married in nov 05 and made the decision to annul in dec 05. moved out in feb 06.

little_a

js, the lawyer told me there is no timeframe as long as you can support your case.

my fiance and his parents know that I had annulled my marriage.. so to me it doesn't really matters. But i think when you submit the application for ROM, the marital status shld be single. Unless it requires you to declare that you had annulment.. this i'm unsure.

little_a

Js, i was married in Nov 05. submitted the case only two years later .. oct 07. managed to get my annulment.

icygal

I remember seeing somewhere it has extend to 3years. not sure how they determine, maybe they remove it already. Better to consult lawyer directly if you want to go ahead. cheers

lovingyou

forward: There isn't realli a fixed period for annulment, so long, a few conditions can be proven/satisifed. Moreover, is your wife working?

icygal

Like a divorce, an annulment is a court procedure that dissolves a marriage. But, unlike a divorce, an annulment treats the marriage as though it never happened. For some people, divorce carries a stigma, and they would prefer to have their marriage annulled. Others prefer an annulment because it may be easier to remarry in their church if they go through an annulment rather than a divorce.

- Resources from http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/article-30234.html

depressed_gal

Is it against the law to do an Annulment of marriage?

My ex hubby disagree with Annulment because he thinks that the Law will go after him.

We are staying separately now and have not gone through our customary marriage.

Any advise as he refuses to do Annulment.....and worst, he even asked me to pay him if I want him to sign the Annulment papers.....real bastard!

icygal

My ex did that and I paid & we are finally STRANGERS. It's just this kind of bastard that ruin our lives... I just earn back my $ happily.

depressed_gal

sigh....is this what i am supposed to do? Just to get an Annulment from him? did u pay him a lot?

can i sue him for extortion? to me, I think he just cant let go of me.

When I was with him, he nvr appreciate me, now he just want to give me problems....

real bastard...

viethai

hi, is non-consummation consider one of the key factors to annul a marriage ? what other factors will be taken into consideration ?

smileguy

Depressed
$ can be earn back easily..If paying to annul the marriage can lead u to another new life and freedom..y not....i believe u will meet someone who will appreciate u..

Viethai
can check out the web..other factors include

•Non-consummation owing to incapacity
•Non-consummation owing to wilful refusal
•Lack of consent
•Mental illness rendering the person unfit for marriage
•Respondent pregnant by another man
•Respondent suffering from Communicable Venereal Disease prior to marriage

depressed_gal

smileguy
i know $ can earn back, the think is he refuses to do so....he is just making my life difficult....he is telling me that i have found someone else and left him. this is not the main reason coz to me he made my life bad enough that I have to bear all his debts and pay for what he buys with my credit card. my life is just ruin....

first he was telling me that he is afraid that his PR will be affected, now he is telling me that he don need to be afraid of his PR. He even tell me that only he can help me and no one else.

Now he is invading my privacy……i felt threaten. Can i just annul my marriage on my own?

Btw what is Lack of consent?

smileguy

Hmm..what he can help you with and no one else can?Kinda of threatening you?
I think both party must be co operative in order to annul the marriage..y not speak to ur lawyer.he/she might be able to advise u better..

depressed_gal

hmm...i spoke to the lawyer, another option is to divorce on the ground of unreasonable behaviour or to prove exceptional hardship....but the chances are very minimal and will cost more....

texasholdem

Non-consummation owing to incapacity
•Non-consummation owing to wilful refusal
•Lack of consent
•Mental illness rendering the person unfit for marriage
•Respondent pregnant by another man
•Respondent suffering from Communicable Venereal Disease prior to marriage

all these factors doesn't include one more : AULDTERY

does the law will protect women even if they commit adultery?

memories03

depressed gal, i have almost the same suituation as u.. i got married in june 06.. My fairy tale ended after 1/2 yr later when my ex hb starting to to work.. We quarrel almost everyday for the next 1/2 yr....Someone tell mi that i have to wait till 3 yrs den can divorce.. For the bext 2 yrs, we didnt contact each other.
I went to consult a lawyer , he mention tat i can file for annulment but will cost more ex.. so i call him and tell him abt it. We agree to split cost.. When the lawyer draft out the paper for him to sign, he reject and say he dun have to time to come down n sign.. S0 i have to couried to him .. When he see the paper, he was unhappy with the contents... We quarrel again for tat .. finally when i tot everything is ok , He shot out another problem to mi tat was he has no $$ to pay..A real bastard!!
Whether he pay or not, i will still have to go ahead with the annulment, so i pay the whole legal in full without letting him know..i consult my lawyer how abt the signature part if he dun sign that mean i can go ahead with it..
The lawyer : we send him the doc (as long as 7 days later,there is no oppsition), i can file for annulment...
On 31 August ,i went for court hearing without him... 3 months after the date, no oppsition by the other party, the annulment will be consider as approve.. The court will auto send him the court hearing date and time
2 weeks later, i receive my 1st legal paper.. there is total of 3 copies... By right, one copy of The annulment paper to him, one copy to mi.. I tell my lawyer that i will send him his copy myself.. (by left i receive 2 copies)...The lawyer will only issue 2 true cerified copies and it will need to be countersigned by my lawyer)
If he wan the legal from mi, he need to pay...

depressed_gal

memories03: my situation is the same as you.

which lawyer did u consult? do u still have the contact? no opposition means he don appear in court or go to the lawyer's office is it?

i heard from my lawyer, he says that my ex have to sign before I can go to court. i m totally lost.

i married last year Dec 08, and separated in May 09 when we had a big fight. now stuck with his debts coz most of the things are under my name.

I really don know wat he wants, I tried my very best to speak to him nicely, but he always scolds me. last nite he sms me asking me to call him, then i said anything talk on sms. he refused to and said "No, u call me".

3 days in a row i have been suffering from his scoldings and wasting time talking on sms n phone, i m so depressed n stressed up. Y cant he leave me alone, and give me time to heal before he talk to me.

i was at home trying to sleep ard 10plus, he just cant give me peace and said that "oh, u have someone beside u".....real bastard!!!

ark (texasholdem) : I do hope that there's law to protect Women especially for adultery but not sure whether it exist or not.

memories03

Jus relax.. dun need to be stress up by this kind of bastard.. our life can be more happy... the more u stress n depressed , the more he will do it.. Tell yrself, jia you, you can do it..

Once u receive the papers, all the hard works is worth it...

summergem

Hi all,

I needed help and advice urgently....

I and my bf is going to ROM this coming Sunday, so we went to registry of marriage today to do the declaration thing as we will rom outside.
He has married before, think he rom with his ex-wife on the Oct'05 and they file for annulment on the Jun'07... Ard Feb'08, he received a thick copies of document from the court stating the statement of annulment he and his ex-wife is filing... then after that he nvr hear from the lawyer or court anymore....
The lawyer was find by his ex-wife, the lawyer told him that he no need to go to attend court..

so when we went to do declare, the person ask anyone divorce before, and he say he has... (does he consider annulment or divorce?)
then he show him the documents, the person said that is not the cert, we got a shock. as he tot that the annulment should be finalise already, he tot the documents is the finalise thing...
Since the day he file annulment till now is 2years 3 months le...
will the court sent the finalise documents to him?

Wat should we do now? Pls help!!!!
Tks