Annulment or Divorce

Jlee0203

Hi

I am having trouble whether or not to file a divorce or annulment instead. My estrange husband and I are legally separated since January this year but the papers that we have is back dated. We were suppose to file for a divorce until such time that the marriage matures (which is in Feb next year). I didnt insist on asking for maintenance support as he begged me not to and I agreed provided that he will remain in Singapore until next year. We are both expats who got married in SG and now I am reassigned elsewhere. Singapore law states that one of us should be domiciled in Singapore for 3 consecutive years for the divorce process to proceed.

When I left, I was aware that my ex was applying for a job in US, there were only few more things he needed to do, which is why I insisted him to stay in SG. We were also civil when I left, but just recently when I contacted him via email asking where he was, the blow of the wind suddenly changed and he went back to being such an a****** as he is. He told me not to bother him and that I dont have the right to ask him where he is and so on and so forth. I let that incident pass by and few days after, he invited to connect with me on my LinkedIn page, naturally I declined but somehow I must have pressed the wrong button as all of a sudden he was on my list. I saw his account for few seconds and deleted/blocked him all at once. Although, it bothered me when I read from his account that he is now working in John H Strogers in Illinois.

I had to confirm my doubts and since he was being such an a******, I decided to contact his girlfriend on facebook under an anonymous name. Didnt realize though that the girlfriend doesn't know anything about her "boyfriend's" (my ex) pasts, including me... I told her I only want to know my ex's whearabouts and she began bitching me around. It shut her up when I showed her our marriage certificate. Out conversation was cut short as my ex intruded. Things went sour and my ex started chatting with all the nasty/rude words that he is fond of using towards me. Nevertheless, I kept my cool and never replied any of his messages. Though I kept screenshots of his messages. It might be of good use someday.

Now, his last message was that the girlfriend is pregnant. He thinks that he is not legally bound by any law because we are already legally separated. I understand very well that if he gets involve with someone else without the divorce papers, he is still committing adultery, right? Having said this, if what he said is true, not only that I can file for a divorce more so annulment.

He has roll the dice and it's my turn this time. My ex and I separated because of many times that I have caught him havin an affair. The last draw took me down, I couldn't take it anymore and I decided to leave. Please, given this situation I am in right now, can anyone advise me what to do?

Appreciate all the help.

Last edited: