Amara Singapore

jane

Hi All,

I booked my wedding banquet (weekend) at the Amara Hotel. Does anybody out there ever attended the dinner there ?

pearl

Hi Jane,

I thought they are still renovating the hotel.
What is the price range like and what abt the ballroom with any pillar ?

jane

Hi Pearl,

Yep, u are right, they are under renovation, but was told by the manager that the renovations will be completed b4 christmas.

The price range is between $568 to $618 if I am not wrong ... ... and there is no pillar in the ballroom.

Any intentions to book with them ?

M

monica eng

"gasp" My hubby went for his friend's wedding there last year. The couple had such bad experience with the hotel they had to make a report to CASE. Let me get the details from my hubby tonight. And his friend warned us against Amara when we got married this year. We didn't use Amara cos we didn't want to take the risk.

jane

Hi Monica,

It seems like a bad news to me ... ... but would really appreciate if u could tell me more. I want to get myself mentally prepared.

Thanx in advance.

M

monica eng

HI Jane,
Just checked with my hubby, seems that the food was very bad. The groom got plenty of negative feedback from guest. He decided to get all his guest to sign a petition and brought the case up to CASE. But that was a year back. THings could be different now.

C

chin leng

Hi Jane,

Let's not worry too much about it now since you have already made your decision. Just concentrate on your preparation and try to enjoy the process. It may appear tough at times but many people have gone through the same process. If at anytime you feel like pouring your woes, you can always come to the forum or the chatroom. ;)

Regards,
Chin Leng.

M

monica eng

Hey Jane,
Don't worry, I'm sure they want to have a good reputation. After what happend I'm sure they will try their best to improve. Who knows the cook may have been fired already. Maybe let them know what u heard and tell them that u don't want the same thing to happen to u. I'm sure everything will be fine!!!!!
Regards
Monica Eng

jane

Hi Chin Leng & Monica,

Thank You !

PS : I think I'm addicted to this forum ... Checking for new replies and questions become my daily routine !

C

chin leng

Hi Jane,

Thank you for being an ardent fan! Glad to have you join us in the forum. Would you like to join us in the chatroom too? :)

To ease your checking, one simple tip: Just click on the "Yesterday's" link under messages on the left hand side and you'll always see the postings from yesterday onwards. That way, you can locate the new postings faster.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

M

monica eng

Hi Jane & Chinleng,
Same here, if I'm too busy to get on the forum for just one day. It's like something missing that day.
Monica

lisa

heehee... it's my 'weding fix' too! so that I don't bore everyone around me by always and only talking about the wedding :)

C

chin leng

Hi Ladies,

Do remember to check out the articles we provide too!

Regards,
Chin Leng.

R

richard goh

Hi Jane

Don't worry!
I did a wedding at the hotel this February.
The food and operational staff are terrific.
It was close to Chinese New Year then. The hotel staff give everyone a big surprise (with my consent) by having a special item for the couple -
LION DANCE wishing good and prosperity to the newly-wed. My clients, Raymond & Siew Siew are very touched and all the guests are very impressed. They have a good time during the dinner. It was a very fresh and memorable time for all. Don't worry, Amara will definitely do a good job for you. If you need any more info, you can call me at 835-4567 (Reflexion)or e-mail me at [email protected]

M

monica eng

Hey Jane,
Now u can relax and enjoy the rest of ur preparations!!!!

jane

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your feedback ! Sorry,I'm a bit confused, u mentioned "your client", can I know your profession ?

R

richard goh

Hi Jane

I am a wedding planner that co-ordinates weddings.
As I say, Amara is alright. Just do your necessary co-ordination and they will do the rest.

janice

hi richard,
as a wedding planner, can you give me some opinion about the service from hyatt?? we're about to make decision but still want to have be more confident about our decision.
thanks!

R

richard goh

hi janice
Would appreciate that you call me @835-4567
I need to know what you are looking at before I can comment. But, if you do need more info about Hyatt, you can contact Louis of catering sales dept(7307066). Just tell him that you are recommended by Richard of Reflexion. He will definitely takes care of your wedding. Thanks.

sabrina

Hi,

Would like to find out if any of you have arrange a wedding at Amara end of this year or begining of next year?

I went to see the new hotel recently. The decor and overall feel is quite nice. Very Zen look. However, I did not get to see the ballroom because it is still under renovation. Plus, they have quite number of details not confirmed such wedding cards etc. I have also heard that the foods is not too good.

So how? Should I take the risk as I am running out of ideas?

A

ac

Amara called me up and told me the ballroom is done up already !! And they are going to co-host a bridal fashion show with J&C at their ballroom in Sept.

Cost per table next year end $620+++/650+++.

sabjoon

Hi AC,

I know that your wedding is around end of next year so take your time to pick the most suitable hotel. However, you also have to pick fast since end of the year is always the peak period.

A

ac

thanks sabjoon. i booked mine at noble house already. 8)

hotel rates are off my budget. 8(

peace

The air conditioning in Amara Hotel is COLD. Can't control it from the hotel room, it is controlled centrally .

cherlyn

Hi! I am considering whether to take hold my banquest there. Went to the newly renovated Amara abt 2 weeks ago. The decor and ambience is good. Heard that they are going to upgrade to 5 star soon.Wonder how's the food? Anyone have any comments out there? Thanx!

sabjoon

Hi Cherlyn,

Myself has already booked with Amara Hotel recently to hold my wedding banquet. I agree that the decor and ambience is pretty good. As for food wise, I have heard mixed reviews (though I have not tasted the food myself). So I guess I have to pray hard that the food should be okay

cherlyn

Thanx gals! I am supposed to confirm with Amara but till now, I still cannot make up my mind. Wat do u think of Mandarin at Orchard? Or is Amara better.

nicole

Hi Cherlyn,

Can't give my comments abt Amara 'coz never been there, but heard that they have a L-shaped ballroom, is that rite?

Just went for a colleague's wedding at Mandarin Hotel. Nice spacious rectangular ballroom, nice stage, high ceiling and pleasant decor - personally think it's quite a suitable place for wedding. Food-wise quite good leh, crispy chicken very tasty, steamed soon hock very fresh, very full, really no space for noodles at the end. Service-wise, perhaps 'coz it was a weekday, waiter quite impatient to remove the dish...will keep asking if we've finished, and sometimes remove without asking. Sound-system had some hiccup but overall ok. Got projector and big screen. Not sure if the MC was the hotel's, 'coz only not-so-good thing was the MC.

Hope this helps!
happy.gif

baby

Hi Cherlyn

Been to Amara before the renovation but the impression of the service standard not there, moreover it is not an international chain hotel.

Heard from my friend that the package they are offering now are rather on the higher end? Isit true?

If you are looking at newer ballrooms, quite a few hotels have renovated their function rooms. I think Copthorne Harbour View somewhere in the area of Amara has newly renovated ballroom as well...

Maybe you can look out for Marriot as well? But if you are looking at more tables, think Copthorne H.V can fit in abt 34 tables, so that may be out.

Anyway best of lucks! Keep us in touch with your choosen hotel
happy.gif

cherlyn

Thanx again gals!

Hi Nicole. Amara hotel is giving me 2 ballrooms if I have at least 32 tables. Thus, the room will be rectangular. The room will be L-shaped if itis juz 1 ballroom with 2 connecting seminar rooms and the max for that is about 32 tables.
By the way, wat's the room that U went to at Mandarin? Is it Mandarin Court or Belvedere?Actually I had seriously considered Mandarin b4 I thought of Amara. The main hiccups abt Mandarin Belvedere are the 4 pillars and that it is only a 8-cos dinner for the price of $718. Other than that, I luv the location, decor, food I suppose!

Amara offers a better package but I do sort of mind the location. People might find Tanjong Pagar ULU and thus might affect the ang pow rate leh! Wat do U think?

Hi! Baby. I used to have a bad impression of Amara but when I went there 2 wks ago, I sort of fell in luv with it after its renovation; except for the location and the fact that it is not very branded. Was told that they will be upgrading to 5 star soon. (but duno when)

Diner is abt 668+++ and 698+++ for weekends but their package includes more than wat Mandarin offers. However I have always wanted to hold my banquet in hotels in Orchard leh. So I am really in a dilemma! Wat say U?

Tmr will be going to both Mandarin and Amara as there are weddings there. Will then try to make my decision after that. Will keep U inform again.

As for Harbour View, I dun like there leh! But still, tanx 4 sharing!

nicole

Hello Cherlyn!

I was at Mandarin Court, also had big pillars. But my friend had abt 40+ tables, we were at Table 33, and no blocking at all...they placed the tables such that none was blocked by the pillars, and they even had TVs just behind the pillars, just in case.

Name-wise, of course Mandarin is more famous, and the Orchard Rd location does give it added prestige. But I thought these days, no matter which hotel, the angpow is still the same! hehe...at least for me, I usually won't go higher than $100 even if it's Ritz-Carlton!
happy.gif

I think you can trust your gut feeling lor...i'm sure there'll be ONE place that makes you feel really comfortable....in terms of location and name, I think both quite OK lah. I also wanted Amara Hotel, but they told me it was undergoing renovation, and that it was L-shaped...haven't really gone down to see it though!
happy.gif

apple

Hi
I'm new to this forum & I'm fascinated. Juz wanted to share my experience of a wedding dinner I attended at Amara hotel over the wkend.

The newly renovated ballroom is quite nice & one side of the room is filled with mirrors so it makes the ballroom looks pretty big. But the ceiling is not very high tho'. However, the reception area is quite classy! The host has about 40 tables, 20 on each side but I find it very very cramp!

The food in all is not very impressive. In fact for some of the dishes, I had only a bite & that's it.

Throughout the dinner, the ballroom is very warm. Especially for the guest who had wine or liquor. So it is visible that some of the guest will hang around the reception area where it is much cooler.

Basically, this is only my opinion. If anyone of u is holding ur wedding banquet there, u might like to take note of these.
(",)

seasons

Hi,
I'd like to hear comments about the recently renovated Amara and the quality of their wedding services.

Has anyone attended a weddding there recently?

littlered

Hi everyone,

Did anyone attend wedding dinner at Amara Hotel recently, at its newly renovated ballroom?

There were some feedback in the previous thread on Amara Hotel but I thought it would be good if I poll in more people to give comments, as I have just signed up with the hotel.

Personally, I like the ballroom very much. It looks modern and contemporary. Aiyah, it's just very nice lor, and my FH and I like it the moment we saw it. Furthermore, it does not have any pillars. The reception area is big and spacious too.

However, the quantity of food and level of service, etc, remains a question. I would appreciate greatly if you provide some comments. Thank you.

jas03

Hey LittleRed,

I jus made tentative booking for amara as well. Will be going down soon to pay the depo. Feel the same way as you do, ie i like their new look and oso their 3 themes. Which theme do you like?

Yes, hv anyone attended a wedding din at Amara recently? I wld love to get some feedback too.

A

atapic

Yeah, me also paid the deposit oredi. I was served by Natalin. I chose the Romance theme...$728 per table, but i had discount of $10 per table cos I'm a theWeddingFair.com member.
happy.gif
Anyone got feedback on their food? and the wedding cards?
I think their ballroom is very nice. Liked it the first time I saw it too.
happy.gif
It looks cool and cosy.

jas03

Hey atapic, so glad to see your entry! LittleRed's last entry was in Jan, i wasn't sure if anyone wld be replying!

Romance theme is so... romantic.. i quite like that - the roses and all, but my husband prefers Grandeur.

Did you get to see the suite? I tot it is impressive, but i hv not seen any of the suites in the hotels i have viewed, so no comparison lor.

I was served by Natalin too.

gabriel

We booked the Amara Package in August 2001 when the ballroom was still under renovation. Imagine, we even visited when it was still under construction!!! Have a special liking for the ballroom especially after we got to see it in September 2001 when the reno was fully completed. Not too sure of the food at by the banquet chef. Tried the food at the Elements Cafe at the Lobby. Was quite impressed by their standards. Hope it's the same.

A

atapic

I think i saw the Deluxe suite or something. It looks quite cool... with the separate room thingy. I'm looking forward to my one nite stay there! ;-)

Yeah, been hearing that Elements cafe's food is good. Have yet to try.. maybe one of these days when I've gotta go down Amara again.

Hmm...I'm wondering why Amara isn't like a very popular choice for banquets.. I keep hearing abt other places mentioned in other threads, like Pan Pac, M, Mandarin, etc. Maybe it's due to its location at CBD area? Not the coolest of places... it also faces some shophouses opposite it too, right?
Never mind...the inside is good enough for me. I choose "inner beauty"! Hahaha... :-D

P

pink-lily

hello everyone, i am seriously considering Amara for my wedding, as i quite like the ballrm and the bridal suite. Especially the special lighting effects which are quite modern. Does any of you had any feedback on the food and services? i am glad that some of you are choosing Amara, hope to get more feedbacks before i sign the contract. Thanks

jas03

HI Pink Lily,

I have jus booked Amara for my wedding in Nov. I like their special lighting effect too.

I wld also like to hv feedback on their food.

As for services, i know for the VIP tables, there is one waiter/ess to serve at each table, the rest of the tables either 2 to 1 or 3 to 2.

I just hope there is no other functions going on on in the other function rooms on my day.

A

atapic

Jas03, my wedding is at Amara in Nov too! When exactly is yours? Mine's on the last saturday of Nov...

D

delannie

Hi all, i have yet decided which date for my wedding but it be in yr 2003. Do you think they will have the price list? Mine will be wkend.

Atapic, is yours a wkend package? I heard from my friend that the banquet food is really good and he would consider it as one of the best. Can i just call Natalie up saying that i wish to view the ballroom & suite?

A

atapic

Delannie, sure u can call up Natalin. That's what i did, and she'd just be nice to bring u up to the ballroom... it's cosy and cool looking.
happy.gif
And yes, mine's the weekend package, romance theme.

P

pink-lily

hello Jas03 and atapiC

thank you for you reply, I am a mid dec bride, I am going to sign up with natalin probably next week, however, i'm not yet decide which theme should i go for.....