Air-con installation - Gain City, Twin City or ???

zenn

Hi nyny,

I went to the roadshow yest. Realised that they are highly promoting toshiba inv during this roadshow. The reason why I nv consider tos inv becos I need a 22/24k btu for living, 12k & 9k btu for the bedrooms. If based on tos sys 3 inv, the max btu is 35/36k btu which means if I on the living hall, I can only on either bedroom. Also, tob inv is using special gas so unless you ve extended warranty otherwise you still ve to go back to them in future.

Whereas if I am getting Mit sys1+sys2 non inv, I can on all at 1 time. Moreover, we are not high usage.

Btw, whats the free gift you got?

nyny

how come they highly promoting toshiba har? *strange*

i only get the extended warranty + 3 time cleaning voucher.

zenn

No idea... few other gals fm forum also bought toshiba cos recommended by the sales person.

How much you paid for sys 3?

fuppy

Hi all,

Try Coolserve. Their prices can be very competitive and service is good.

You can call Mike at 91850096. I'm very happy with the price n service

pepsi

Hi all,
Has anyone heard or engage the service of Hong Tar (at IMM?) before. Their sales talk sounds impressive and very educational, but I m worried sometimes it may sound too good to be true...they claim they use wider pipping, better materials, not foam etc.
Also, the price of aircon seems to vary a lot. I pop into 3 shops at IMM yesterday, their prices can vary by up to $200...for the same system 3 model.

gemgem

Hi Fuppy,

I will be using the same company for installation of my air-con too. Hopefully I am a satisfied customer just like u. They will onli install it next tues. Agree w you that the price they quote are reasonable. Will keep you update on their progress & workmanship. ^_^

teebs

Gain City isn't that cheap. Cheapest that I found is ALL BEST at IMM Level 3 and Turf City.

My contractor asked his aircon supplier to match ALL BEST's price to me and his aircon supplier told him that ALL BEST is able to quote such low prices as they buy in bulk from the distributors.

techguy

Hi, although i know ALLBEST is cheapest.But the insulation use is not that good at all which stat in the certication. Beware

luckystar

Hi techguy, what do you mean not that good?
heard from Allbest that the insulator that they are using are actually better than gain city (grey foam type).. they are using the black rubber type.
heard that the black rubber type is a better insulator...

and heard a lot of "stories" that the grey foam type will become "powdery" after some time... not sure how true though...

jazzyjas

hi all!

Juz went to check out the aircon prices yest at Carrefour & GainCity Suntec.
Planning 2 get the Panasonic Model.
Carrefour now is having aircons promo while stocks last.

GainCity is cheaper by $100+ for the model i want.
But i unsure of the assurance & after-sales service.
Any advice? Thx!

berrywife

Hi Thinking of changing aircon for both my living room and bedroom. The size of both rooms are not very big, approx the size of 4 room flat. I just need a basic aircon that is durable and economical. Any suggestion on brands or tips to share? I'm totally new at this, not sure what to look out for. What is a reasonable price for both?

From what I gather from the posts above, I think Gaincity is one of the better companies offering good installation and service?

Anyone who used Gaincity lately can comment? Thanks alot for your help!
happy.gif

blue_genie

Hello gals,

I've used air con and installation frm Gain City recently. Can say that my hubby and I're very satisfied with their services and installation. The sales person recommended and explained in details for each air con that we're interested in and frm there we made our choice. Their service man was punctual on that day to install the air con for us too. The installation process was completed in one day and warranty for installation is 1 yr.

As for their after sales service, personally, i feel its not bad as u can purchase vouchers frm them for ur air con cleaning, which i think its cheaper as compared to outside.

blue_genie

MMZ,
as mentioned in my post, the vouchers are for cleaning of ur air con. u need to purchase the vouchers frm them for it.

however, Gain City did give a discount voucher for my first air con cleaning together wif my air con installatn which valid for a yr. will use it for cleaning b4 CNY next yr.

im not sure of the insulation material used. however the piping that they provide me is bigger than the normal ones. u can chk with them when u make enquiry, they will be most willing to help u.

blue_genie

in addition, u can extend ur warranty for ur air con to 5 yrs instead of 1 yr for ur air con if u purchase ur air con frm Gain City.

megazmanz

oic...thanks blue genie. Heh, i started a new thread on air con " Air Con. What are your views on the different retail shops on the market. " hope u can contribute some of your experience.
This applies to all who read the message too!!!
THANKS!

peonyboo

i got a toshiba inverter system from gain city. as a matter of fact, toshiba is the inventor of inverter a/c. but many ppl have better opinion of mitsubishi because they spend a lot on advertising. also, toshiba's PKU is bigger than mitsubishi.

we never regret getting toshiba. 2 years down and it's still cold and powerful. and gain city's service is good.

megazmanz

To PeonyBoo,
do you mind sharing your experience on my thread " Air con. What are your views on the differenet retail shops."
thanks.

air

Hi To All
For my experience in air con. nothing to do with retail shops.Is the technician that install the unit ,and what type of material they use
"class 1 insulation"The thickness for the insulation

pebbie

hi MMZ,

i cant seem to find ur thread "Air Con. What are ur views on the different retail shops". has it been removed or something?
sad.gif

parrotfish

I would say Gain City would still be my choice. My air con was installed by them 5 years ago and they still provide me with very good after sales service. Very good installation and workmanship. Wherever there's a problem, they rectify it very fast and at reasonable rates. My parents' were installed by Twin City and within a yr, had lots of problems even tho under warranty. They charged cheaper for the installation and units, but any problem after that, costs a BIG BOMB! Furthermore, they dont have gd technicians compared to Gain City. Gd Luck to watever your choice may be...

evelynmao

Hi all,

I am consider to buy a non-Inv air-con, consider for the brand of Mitsubitshi Mr Slim, Panasonic & Sanyo.

Could you give me some comment, don't know which one is better?

Thks a lot
happy.gif

zoeanne27

Hi

Can i ask.. Twin City is the main office at Tampines N woodland? I have been to their Tampines HQ or warehouse. I find them rather ex.

Is gain city ok? I heard very bad comments on them b4..But also gd comments. I m making myself confused

Did anyone heard about Fujiair? I tot of getting the non invertor system 5.. compared to System 3 like toshiba and Daikin, it is about $400 more ex to it..Of course toshiba n daikin is branded.. I am confused about these lor..

pinevalley

hi all,

just my 2 cents worth. to me, what's important when buying aircon is the worksmanship for the water piping and trunking. the knowledge of the installer is very important to do a good trunking works.

Bad trunking works done have the consequences of water flowing back to fan coil, leaking, choking.

Dun save that few dollars and then live with all these problems later.

mamamia

Hi Pine Valley,

u r right, workmanship and responsibility is the important point to think. Really have to compare job. My sister has engaged a contractor to install a new set of air-con, and have faced up problem, piping sweating after 4 months of install. She called up, we really didn't expect that the contractor changed all the existing piping with new lot of piping to her. Now a day my sister still engage him for the air-con servicing. Good service. His installation charges is slighty higher then others contractor, but he doesn't use cheap material.

eclipsx

"Hi all,
Has anyone heard or engage the service of honX taX (at IMM?) before. Their sales talk sounds impressive and very educational, but I m worried sometimes it may sound too good to be true...they claim they use wider pipping, better materials, not foam etc.
Also, the price of aircon seems to vary a lot. I pop into 3 shops at IMM yesterday, their prices can vary by up to $200...for the same system 3 model." - pepsi (pepsi)

My 2 systems are done by HonX TaX.

Price wise, they are reasonable although they nvr gave any servicing vouchers. They are still able to match allbest and gaincity price. And they allow me make all my payments by credit card the day after the job is done at no extra charge. (hahaha, got plenty plenty points now)

Service, one of the best i have encountered in my reno days. Installation booking phone gal is very very friendly and accomodating, I have to change the trunking installation 2 times becos of my reno delay and she made last minute changes very happily. Their techs are oso very puncture for the 2 visits and routing advice is excellent, they'll tink of the best possible route for the trunkings.

Workmanship is very professional, they will touch up all possible areas after they are done. But maybe becos i was there watching. Visually looks good after they have finished.

Material, well, as usual, they promised the world about the black rubber and larger ID pipings for the drainage, but i've yet to fully utilise the aircon yet so we gotta wait and see. But according the aircon manufacturer's specs, the copper pipes they used are correct and they oversized the drainage pipe which is big the better. just remember the further the gas have to flow, the lower the cooling efficiency, so take care. The grey color, dunno wat insulation WILL indeed turn powdery after years of exposure to sun and rain, but i dunno about those inside the trunkings. Since the black rubber thingy are oso used in our cars, so far so good for the car.

Aftersales, I've yet to try and dun wish to use it so soon. Warranty for piping is a year and units are covered by the manufacturers but forgotten how many years liao. And it better be as good as all they have done so far.

Free gifts, none. They offered me some crappy LG DVD player, but i managed to bargain for a better price instead. And o yes, i went to allbest as well, they offered some $100+ servicing vouchers, but if you read carefully, each $20 or $10 voucher can only be used wif every dunno how much spent, or I may be very wrong. and gaincity, i find their saleman too pushy and same as allbest they tend to compare wif others alot.

I actually went to these 3 shops in IMM 2 times each at intervals of about 2 months, and they pushed diff brands each time except honX taX which i finally signed wif them on the 3rd visit. each visit lasted 2-3hrs and they really explained the pros and cons of all the models i shortlisted, and oso diff config. at least they let me choose my preference.

Try asking honX taX then go compare others as well. make your own choice, dun let them choose for u.

look for benny, friendly chap who really knows his stuffs. he's all sales talk, but remember to pen down all agreements in ink.

ultramouse

Hi,
I used Twin City. Although their price is slight a bit higher, their workmanship is good and their recommendation is very good too. The cables and trunking of the pipes are very nicely arranged as compared to those I saw from my neighbours. Hopes these information helps.

dreamdream

totally agree with ghost. ive also bought from honX taX. they did the pipes installation for me aldy.. so far im happy with their svc. they uses gd quality materials..

one of the main reasons i chose this shop is, the salesple dun hard sell any particular brands.. they will spend time to explain the functions and all the pros & cons of the various brands, inverter vs non-inverter, info on piping, installation, etc etc... and then they let u decide what one u want to buy.

the salesple r very patient and friendly, not just benny. ive spoken to benny, chew & grace.. all 3 r gd. they dun push u to close the deal.. in fact i only committed my purchases on my 3rd visit! the 1st time i was there, i spent more than 2 hours listening to the lecture on aircons.. but it was very informative & beneficial.. well worth the time.

highly recommended for all those who r shopping for air cons! u dun hv to buy frm them.. but its good to know all the info abt the other brands and wat to look out for in aircon installation b4 jumping into committing a contract.

how's their after sale service (honX taX) ?
looking for air cond to replace (current : System 3 Sanyo for 6 yrs)

jesmii

Hi,
Looking at getting Hong Tat or Hong Seng to do up my aircon.

Anyone , any comments on them ?

Heard Hong tat very new in market .

Anyone can share some info ?

calix

I also been down to IMM last week. Very impressed by their sales also, have not purchased from them caused still got time!

ridhwan82

i just had my sytem 4 (3bedroom+1hall) installed by honx tax..i must say that i am impressed and although its priced slightly higher than all best i must agree that their workmanship and the touch ups they did and the installation very crisp and they guys are no nonsense give you suggestions and damn fast..

1030 came on time. dismantle my system 3 and install system 4 by 7pm my whole house was running up and cooling down. excellent!

i contemplated to go for axx bext but then cos he kinda added this price and when i say this material, oh must add some more and pay by card.. add some more.. even though full amount not instalment. i went like "so much for the cheap quote but with many +++".

i chose honx tax cos they are very transparent and they wrote down every details of the installation and the price is just end price. a bit more ex but trust worthy. they would also sit down with you and help advise which is always stading neutral with the features of the respective brands and take time to easy your worries like the recommend location with the floorplan in hand., they would just show you. no obligation and they got the job.

was also thinking of getting the service package from them too!

floralim

hi i saw gaincity is having promotion, wonder should i take up, freebies convert to cash discount.
sound good but now i thinking are they really tat good, but i feel some retail sales person there like ah beng & ah lian :p :p

fannyt

Hi everyone,
Just to share. Been to gain city recently and i think they should really change their sales staff.mostly i think is made up with lians and bengs.Pricing for them is quite ok.Natura cool is the company i used.Their sales staff is more pro but picing slighty higher.According to the sales they use better insulator.

ridhwan82

well trust your instinct. if you think GC can be trust worthy then go ahead. i would not say much for alX BeXt though. But i must say that i am really satisfied with honX taX.

as for toshiba and mitsubishi. its actually what features do you want like mit has the easy clean features. And also your requirements in terms of capacity as some of the machines are better abled than others. Its a fact.

Lastly .. its about preference. remember its a commitment and that you should take that decision in your own hands and stick with it. cos no one is going to gurantee you total whole goodness.. ultimately you are also the one using it. even if i recommend something but you prefer another and in the end you get what i recommended then you would not be good. make a good call for yourself and believe in it. stick with it yeah?

poohgy

Hi All,
I just installed a mitsubishi system 4 today. My air con installer is Hxxx Txx. I should say good service, transparent and very trustworthy. Their price is slightly higher than the rest. I did compare with Axx Bxxx and GC. Maybe Hxxx Txx ex by ard $100 but i have no regrets. Just like ridz. I am thinking of also letting them service my air con. Very professional.

They help me to choose the right units when i visit their showroom. And today their installer came half an hour early than the appointed time and finish the job half an hour early too. All parts are brand new and exactly what they write on the invoice. No extra cost.

They also explain every details to me during installation. I would say i have a peace of mind letting them handle my 2nd installation.

vvbbb

hi all,

i'm thinking of buying system 4 air-con for my new flat, but my FH said that the air-con in the living room would not be enough to cool both the living+dining room (5-room flat), is that true? Any of you ever use the air-con in living room to cool the common areas (living+dining)?

I've thot abt system 5 but my FH said there's no system-5 unless buy 2 compressor (system3 +system-2), is that right?

Another alternative is to desing our flat so we could close only the living room area to cool, i.e. desgin a glass separator in the living room... we cracked our brain for the flat design just for the 1 air-con hehehe...

ridhwan82

Well there is a system 5 but its very costly and not many have such a configurations.

For the questuon on if its true whether the hall area is big, then it depends on the dimensions of the hall area.If would be able to tell me the dimensions of all the rooms in length x Breadh,that would be helpful.

Also if you would be able to tell me if your house has any electrical loading limit like 8.5 amps or 11amps? Or unlimited?

Also if your flat is able to support 2 Air con units (outdoor) some flat's design only allows for one outdoor unit and this can pose as a big problem if your your room dimensions are really big.

Oh and also will be putting a door or some closure between livin/dining and the kitchen?

Yuo let me know some of the information above ans see what i can do to assist you in your decision making. but do know that this is just a view. if you really want to know if its okay,

then you can try and bring your floor plan to say HonX TaX which is at Imm and ask them for their help. i know i did so and they are really helpful and its no nonsense. they wont press you to close the deal, they are also part of the neec thingy to educate the public on energy efficient label product. so its a resource centre so you can just go there and ask for their advise.
No worries. many people who have had their air con fixed by them will tell you so.

ariny

Any one use Gain city for installation?
Is it true that aircon need monthly servicing to maintain top performance?

ariny

Any one use Gain city for installation?
Is it true that aircon need monthly servicing to maintain top performance?

ridhwan82

hmmm monthly servicing?? hmm a bit too much dun you think the dust hasnt even had time to settle down and there you send it for service again.

during the first year i think should not be a need.. then i think the most also is every quarter?

this is just my view. the only thiing that you really do need to have cleaned is the air filter which needs to be washed or cleaned once in every 2 weeks ...

kirakun

viv

I am using Mit Inverter System 4. Using 26K blower for my living/dining room which is huge. My understanding is that it will take some time to cool the whole area but not impossible.

vvbbb

Hi kira,

do you put fan/blower in the living room and kitchen too?

do you all put Fan (those overhead one) in living room and kitchen? are they useful?

vvbbb

ridz,

u sound like an expert, thanks for the tips. If we hire an ID, will they choose the air-con, install it and charge us accordingly? or we still have to choose it ourselves?