Aerobics/gym workouts

ducky

Is there anyone here who regularly does aerobics or workout at gym? How often and long should we do it to see results fast(ie, within a month)? What are some good forms of aerobic workouts?

where can I join aerobic classes apart from amore expression(my friends said the instructors there not very good)?

Does any of you do excercise at home(ie, push ups, butt lifts, dumbells)?

T

tube

Hi ducky,

California gym and planet fitness are alternatives for gym and aerobic sessions. Actually, the best way to burn fats is to jog SLOWLY... you can either do that on the machines or jog around your neighbourhood! I guess there is no easy way out to burning fats... it will take some time to see the results, depending on the frequency and if you are doing the right excercises.

L

lt

hi ducky,

i went to amore classes.... find that they are ok so far.

i also do hand weights and yoga at home. i heard power yoga very good for fat burning....

jas03

LT, are u the LT from the Amara thread? I attend amores as well!! which branch do u usu go to?

tink

Hi!

Thinking of signing up for Pilates at Amore. Went for their first lesson and find it rather tough...Do not exactly like the instructress, Cindy; she is going too fast for beginners like me to keep up with.

So still comtemplating to sign up or not??? You all attended Pilates before. Which is better for losing weight, Pilates or Power Yoga?

C

*cyn*

Hi tinkle, yah... agreed that Pilates at Amore is tough.

Me too! I attended Mary's fundamental Pilates and normal Pilates class... Also find it too fast for beginner. Then, I signed up the Pilates course at Singapore Sports Council. Better paced.
happy.gif

Hmmm... losing weight? Why dun you try normal aerobics of step aerobics instead? Power Yoga is relatively easier for a beginner to catch up, but it is more for flexibility.

9934.gif
cynthia

tinkle

Hi Cynthia,

How much does the course cost and how many lessons to attend in a week?

You have the instructor/ress name?

Thks,

C

*cyn*

<FONT COLOR="0077aa"><FONT FACE="Tahoma"> Hi Tinkle, it's about $100+, organised by SSC but conducted at Sports Centres all over the island. They will have different instructors for different centre. I used to visit the one at Yio Chu Kang Fitness Centre. Can't remember the name of the instructor liao... You can call SSC and ask
happy.gif
</FONT></FONT>

purple

Hihi,

Am thinking of going to Amore, mainly because the fees there is cheaper. Am jogging everyday in the morning. feeling very refreshed. Actually I agree no short cut for sliming down, only exercise + controlled diet. But am interested in the sport council Aerobic that Tinkle mentioned. Will called them up. Update you all when I have the information.

duchess

Safra Mega Gym is having some kind of promotion i think and if I am not wrong, it's waiver of enterance fee...

G

gymguy

Just called them up, Entrance of $350 for principal member waived. Just pay upfront subscription for 9 months. Total damage, $30 X 9 = $270 . and your set to go for the next 9 months! Off I go to get me membership! Yippiee.

duchess

Just adding to what GymGuy has mentioned,
if you're a spouse member and your hubby is also a member, you only need to pay $20 per month.

that would means paying 60 x 3 = 180.

If you pay for 9 months straight, then entrance fee is totally waived..

but if you're only willing to commit for 6 months, then you need to pay a $35 fee (one-time). Same for principal member.

Before you dash off to sign up, please bring along 2 passport size photograph.

G

gymguy

Oops.. forgot the photos.. luckily they said can bring em another day. Work around Yishun so went to Yishun Megagym and had a great time. Relaxed in the jaccuzi and had a swim after my workout.
happy.gif

yumi

Hi,
i had just signed up an aerobic class at one of the CC.
hear that if u lost weight and stop the aerobic course you will gain more weight then before, is that true?
thanks

G

girrrlpower

hi, i am lookg 4 a affordable pl to work out. i've tried AMORE b4... their rates for once a wk session is abt $60/mth, a min of 3 mths..
actually i am keen on kickboxing &amp; lw paced aerobics. i find tt kickboxing is really fun &amp; i feel gd aft tt.
I saw this Safra mega gym mentioned here as well... too bad i dun stay near yishun....
anyone here got gd recommendations?

moon_little

How abt check the sport council? They alos conduct aerobics classes in most sports comples. Price about $50 for 12 lessons.

Another one u can consider is Max Aerobics. $98 per month for 12 lesson. If u sign up 36 lesson upfron, they will throw in another 12 lessons foc. But they have only 2 studios. Once in Yishun and the other at Hougang.

sandgirl72

hi... i'm going to start my aerobic class at Cheng San CC this coming Tues.. the cost is relatively much cheaper than AMORE. it is only $44 for 12 lessons.. 1 week once and 1 hour class

G

girrrlpower

thks gal, 4 ur inputs... i dun stay near yishun or hougang ler... and besides the CC near my pl is under reno....
i oso heard tt lessons conducted by CCs &amp; by the clubs r slightly different.... this one i dunno how true..
i am actually more keen on kickboxing. i read in another thread abt the YMCA offering classes as well. Any views on this? =)

gin

Hi girrrlpower,
I have been to SSC's boxercise..last monday is my first lesson. It's quite fun but the instructor (a guy) like doing army training like that. I nearly cry out due to we have to hold a certain position for some time. I think he din treat us as beginner!
sad.gif

I also joined Amore. I find that Amore instructors did much better..as they don't force you to hold a position for too long and they don't make you repeat a step for more than 24 counts..im more comfortable with Amore as the instructor is better and furthermore all ladies!
happy.gif

G

girrrlpower

Hi Gin, actually i went to try out California's classes yest. Since i hold the UOB's Ladies card, i am entitled to two sessions mthly. But these 2 sessions r not gd enuff 4 workouts. their classes r not bad but i still find AMORE's better. One thing is tt its being conducted by lady instructor, thus they might noe we cant cope wif too strenuous moves. And they also teach u some basics at the beginning of the lesson.
California's is similar to AMORE, but they r a bit faster paced tahn AMORE &amp; its quite hectic. I am beginning to suffer from aches liao... hahaha....
So wat pkg r u in AMORE? where do u frequent?

cat

Hi, anyone of u taken up sessions with private trainer at gym? I'm thinking of doing so so that they can tell me how exactly and what I shld do to tone up certain part of my body becos I'm wearing a bustier and my fats are showing ;( So sad.

gin

Hi girrrlpower,
I have actually taken up their unlimited package for 6 mths..free one mth. Now i have been regularly to Amore for workout. I feel that it's good as it will realli burn your fat and like what you say..they are more sensitive towards how long we can tahan a position. This is wat i like!
happy.gif
Later me going for Kickboxing.
My fren told me that if you take california for long term (in years), it's actually cheaper than Amore. I feel that there's guys in between so i would rather a all ladies classes! :p Not all instructors at Amore are ladies..some are taught by guys too. But i enjoy it.
happy.gif

H

humbletots

Eugene,

Losing pounds means losing weight... in spore terms losing kgs. when you exercise... depending on the exercises you do... not all the time you will experience a loss in weight. Exercising with weights developed muscles, so you may or may not weigh lighter. Many gals who exercise claim that they dont want to have muscles... but many do not know that a gal's body is made differently fr man. We gals do not have the potential to develop bulk like a guy. So gals out there... pls feel free to do your weights. you wont be developing excessive muscles.

Losing inches... on your waist, arms, thighs etc.. could imply a toner body. less flab, if you are exercising properly. There are lotsa sliming centres, sliming gel/cream, sliming pills that forcus on losing inches... personally i dont believe in this. At most you will prob be losing water... So do lose weight the healthy and correct way... its a simple game of ensuring your input dont exceed your output. (",)

M

mygoodness

halo ladies
I have been attending Pilates in Amore for the past 1 1/2 years. Sometimes I really pity the instructors...so difficult to teach a general class with different levels of fitness. If they are too fundamental, old timer like me finds it uncreative and boring but the beginners find it tough!

Cindy is a great instructor with passion when she teaches. She is not someone who just want to do earn and go. She is tough but with safety and she always reminds the beginners to take it easy and go on to the basic movement if they can;t perform the intermediate moves. But most members do not listen! Of coz won't enjoy lah...how to fly when learning to walk? Afterall Pilates requires full awareness of the body, integrating the mind and breath.

I have always enjoyed her class...alot of movements and tips not found in other instructors. And her Kickboxing and New Body - sculpting. My body shape and strength could not have improved so fast without her. So, pls don't complain...it takes time to build one's fitness....unless the instructor is really unmotivating where I have met some...just their voices can really put you off!

gin

Someone complain? Erm...anyway i agree Cindy is a great instructor. And you speak like my fren who works in Amore.

M

mygoodness

Hi Gin,

I sound like your fren working in Amore? Who? oh dear...I must have been cloned to their culture that I speak like them :eek:

gin

I mean when she describe me about Cindy..it's the same like what you say..."She is not someone who just want to do earn and go". Anyway she is a good instructor i can say

yvonne

Hi I'm interested in the aerobics class at CC or Sports hall... can anyone suggest which is the best workout i should join to tone up my abs, butt and thigh? I'm kinda of small frame gal but got bloated tummy =( and flat butt =( seems getting bigger probably due to work in an office environment, sits so many hrs and age catching up. I thk these are some common problems faced by many gals nowaday. Also, does anyone knows which workout can actually increase upper part of the body (eg,BUST... hee)? Pls help... thanks much!!!

S

sago

HI Yvonne,

U can go for Yoga or Pilates class to tone up ur abs,butt &amp; thigh...

gin

Hi Yvonne,
I personally attended SCS(Sports hall) class..and i onli attend 2 lessons and due to injury i stop 3 weeks(1 week once class), then after that i din attend liaoz...total 8 lessons.
I joined Boxercise..and i find the instructor very forceful...he force us to continue even though we 'dying' already. Anyway it's more like army training lor. And i also feel that the duration for SCS is one week once which wont come up to slimming effect...cos usually ppl exercise 1 week 3 - 5 times then the effect is better.
So i switch to Amore fitness..and i signed unlimited so 1 week i can go more than 1 training lesson and i can attend any class i like..so far, their cool down can really tone my tummy..my tummy is flatter (not washboard though), and no tyres lor..at least..no weight lost though..but tummy lost....

jatling

Dear all,

I'm ex califorina member........joined 1.5yrs and give up....cos it's building more muscle and I'm look so hugh.

2 years back I joined Body Script at SSC.....I have been with this lesson 2 years and lose 5kg.
Till now I still able to maintain my weight.

I find body script not only lose weight and yet slim down all part of my body.

I love this lesson........even tot only once a week....I still can see the effect!!!

yvonne

Thanks Gin &amp; Sago... for your advise.

Hi Sago,
I thk for a start I might go for lower impact one... maybe HI-LOW aerobics? I'm not too sure abt YOGA cos my bone so harden and not flexible. Dun wanna over strain myself cos I went gym on weds now my whole body ache... =P

Hi Gin,
Thk kickboxing is too stressful for me. I'm quite boney dou so might afraid my bone crack... haa! Do you know how much Amore's charging for their classes? I heard is quite X compare to SCS. But I'm determine to trim my tummy by hook or by cook so I wont look lik one "African lady" wif bony hands n legs but carries a big tummy... kee! Lucky me not as dark as them... pretty fair lady! =P

gin

Hi Yvonne,
Or maybe you do crunches 20 times every nite b4 u sleep..heard it works...price = wu jia (price less)
hehehehe..

yvonne

Hi Gin,

Thanks for your prompt reply and solutions...hee! I've already started to do crunches but not regular. Izit good to do it just before sleep?

gin

Hi Yvonne,
I think this is what ppl usually do..although i do heard that doing exercise in the morning helps better...anyway i dun wake up so early to do exercise..hehehe

yvonne

Hi Gin,
So envy you've toned yr tummy but I'm still having this tyre on my waist and I thk is getting thicker...sob sob! I must be like you, work harder... kan-ba-de! Hey, wat is COOL DOWN? Izit a workout?

binbin

dear all, i had an amore package which ended few months ago. thinking of siging up another one, either with amore or others. i am quite confused by the terms i heard here. what is SCS and SSC? is there a difference. and the Safra Mega Gym sounds good, but is it only in Hougang and Yishun? does SCS or SSC have branches in bukit panjang and chao chu kang area??? can someone pls advice? thanks so much!!!

gin

Hi Yvonne,
Warm up....cardio....cool down..heehee..now u noe?
If you attend their classes..they will ask u to do crunches in alot of routine like..by your side...right elbow to left knee...etc..around 15 mins each session. After 3 weeks, tummy tone..heehee..

Hi binbin,
I think shld be SSC..heehee..got it mixed up..
happy.gif
You can visit and sports hall to get more information lor.

yvonne

Hi Gin,

Thanks... I think I'm quite interested to take up AMORE after hearing the left, right and side... if really effective I'll go ahead! My resolution is to tone my tummy so i can wear 2 pcs swim suit liao...haa!!! Sounds vain rite...kee

gin

Hi Yvonne,
Ya..very..hehehe..but i like! hahahaha..i mean who dunwan to have super flat tummy?
happy.gif

good luck! Approach any Amore staff for more details then...heehee...

yvonne

Hi Gin,

I went to Bugis Junction the AMORE just now to enquire about their aerobic class, sounds reasonable + if u got UOB ladies card you're entitled 1mth extra when u sign up any packages. I thk is a good deal lor. I will take the aerobic package 12 sessions for 3mths 1st for a start... if i find it effective I will continue. Wish me luck then... Cheers!!!

binbin

hi yvonne, if i am not wrong, the UOB ladies card promo is valid only for 6 mths package. and also, u wun be able to get amore's own promo if u use the UOB card promo. amore's own promo now is a free gym bag with goodies plus a free botanical facial or massage.......

gin

Good luck Yvonne!
happy.gif
Anything can leave a msg for me at Gym/kickboxing thread..i shld be there!
happy.gif

diamante

hello binbin &amp; yvonne, u gals can join us in the Gym/kickboxing thread... we r all very rowdy in there!! hahaha.. btw i am oso an AMORE gal... and my nick changes 3 times in there liao.... i am known as 'Jo-an-NEE' in there... hahaha...

i am holdg the 6 mths pkg + 1 mth free &amp; my session is for once a week type... so far none of us hv met to go to the gym 2gether but we met up once &amp; we hv another gathering this coming week.... join us there for more rowdiness!! hahaha...

yvonne

Hi diamante,

Thanks for inviting me to yr forum, will definitely get more info from u gals over at GYM/KICKBOXING...hee! I thk is a good idea to get to knw each others, no harm hving more friends rite? Which outlets u gals go to? I thk I'll go either cineleisure, orchard mrt or bugis one, see the schedule lor. =)

M

michell

hey diamante,

change nick again? i think u use diff nick in diff thread rite?
happy.gif

hi yvonne, welcome to Gym/Kickboxing!

help

Hi there,

I had joined amore recently.. I am a beginner in aerobics.. there are a lot of steps which i cannot follow in the class.. imagine how i look like.. (a monkey dancing in the studio, scratching my head). Does anyone here have advise for me as to the steps.. how do i master it ?? Is there any website to advise on that ?? Thanks in advance for your valuable advise. Heard from my friends that kickboxing is quite simple and easy to learn.. is it true??
smile.gif

gin

Hi help,
Im also like monkey in the beginning...i juz follow..if cant follow i listen and see first...i think i learn it tis way..
happy.gif

Kickboxing is tedious for beginners..i think u try out HI/LO or LO first to get the kick...although KB can burn twice the fats..
happy.gif

help

HI Gin,

Thanks for your advise.. Is Lo and HI/Lo diffcult ?? Feel very stress when i can't keep up to the pace.. I used to take pilates.. and guess wat .. After stopping for sooo long.. could not even lift my back up from the floor using my abs muscle.. so malu.. The instructor even commented that someone might not attend after the class after this lesson.. guess i am really hopeless unless i go and train up for my abdominal muscles.