Advise need to backpack/F&E honeymoon to Europe for begineer

lyons

<font color="119911">thanks midas! I hope you don't mind... if i have anymore questions (most of them stupid
happy.gif
), can I ask you?

hey jess, haha! Ya, maldives is way more expensive than bali... and bali is more ex than phuket... it's not as wu hua as if you were to go further to new zealand, australia or greece!
happy.gif
If you're going early next year, that won't be too far away from oct... so you may want to save money for the trip to greece
happy.gif

I have a suggestion though... why don't you go somewhere "mid-range" after oct, then wait till may-jul then go to greece? Anytime after march (winter) is good. Cos if you go jan-mar next year, it's still winter and most places will be closed.

When's your AD? Mine's in oct too! 27 oct
happy.gif
</font>

hislove

Hi bride,
U made a gd point! hehe.. My FH planning our short honeymoon &amp; the "official" long one next yr. I tink he will like ur idea of pushing our official one sometime in may-june, coz he's paying 4 them :p
I jus scared too hot &amp; crowded coz it's summer, if we're talking abt europe. hehe..

My AD is on 13 Oct, 2 weeks before urs.
Having a church wedding.
How's ur planning been going? having fun??

midas

hi bride,

no problem...u juz post ur qns here or PM me..will try my best to ans u
happy.gif

u been to greece b4 har? got pix to share? i beoing greece also leh...but not going so soon lah.

lyons

<font color="119911">hi jess, you're lucky, he's going to pay for both trips
happy.gif
Well, I think may-jul are peak periods, if you want, you can go straight after winter, end mar-early apr. Summer IS the best time to go to Greece if you're talking about going to the greek islands like santorini and mykonos (sun-kissed beaches. go greece MUST go greek islands!)

you're having just a church wedding? Will you be having a dinner as well? My planning going on SLOW! haha! Getting lazy... but we bought our wedding bands liao. A bit early right... but we really liked that pair so bought it. How's your planning? But ya, it's fun!

thanks midas! Sorry no softcopy pics cos I went when I was in secondary school and that time no digital cam!
happy.gif
</font>

hislove

Hi bride,
Ya. I think I'm truly blessed with a wonderful FH. Coz right now, I don't earn much, so he has been the main contributor. hehe..
Ya. I'm looking at Santorini. Oh.. so beautiful.. It has been a dream since my teens to be married there. haha.. so since I can't be married there, the closest I can go is to have my honeymoon there.. hehe..

Yes. I'll be having a dinner the next day after my church wedding. My planning is going on well. Having fun coz my FH &amp; I quite goofy so we planning for some cartoon moments in our wedding. haha..

U bought ur rings already? Which shop?
I was abt to collect my goldheart rings but got some mishaps. I'll PM u abt the details another time. Don't want to clog tis link with our chatting.. haha..

lyons

<font color="119911">hi jess,

oic... that's good to hear! Planning's the fun part
happy.gif
But I'm dreading the day it's over
sad.gif

we bought our rings from lee hwa. what happened to your rings?</font>

lyons

<font color="119911">hi jess, I finally booked my honeymoon trip yesterday during natas
happy.gif
I still have some time to choose between the best of italy tour or the splendours of italy tour from cosmos. Think we'll be going for the 3-cities (rome, florence, venice) in 9 days than to cover the whole of italy in 13 days, might be too rush.

we'll then extend F&amp;E for a few more days after the tour to cinque terre and maybe stay in a castle like midas suggested
happy.gif
</font>

rtan

Hi bride,

Yes, please do go for the three-cities tour in nine days; much more palatable. Doing the whole of Italy in 13 days is like trying to eat all your CNY goodies during the 1st day of CNY.

And do enjoy your stay in the castle; highly recommended. It will be unforgettable. Have you seen Midas' pictures of the castle she and her hubby stayed in?
happy.gif

lyons

<font color="119911">hi raymond,

yeah! I've seen midas' pictures. Very nice and quaint! there are just SOOOOOO many castles to choose from, i'm having a headache. dun even know which region to go to.</font>

midas

hey bride,

u still got lotsa time to choose...juz do shortlisting like BS hunt lor hehehe. list down some criterias u wld like to hv n narrow down to few tat matches ur expectations n budget
happy.gif

hislove

Hi bride,
I was oso at NATAs yesterday.. Bought a gd package for Bali. I PMed u the details.
U're staying in a castle???? wow.. how cool is that????
Yah.. the 3 cities idea is more feasible like raymond says. Soak in the cities!!!
Oh.. Rome is a beauty.. a gem on it's own.. U must go to the Papal state. I'm not a catholic but it's really awe-inspiring to visit it! Check out the swiss guards in their unique uniforms!

But I must warn u abt the gelato ice-cream! U turn anywhere, u can find an ice-cream palour. haha..

lyons

<font color="119911">hi midas, just type in: backslash-->colour-->{text</font> <font color="119911">and you should be able to get it. Basic colours like red, green, blue, purple...

hi jess, replied you via email already
happy.gif
GELATO!! YEAH! Haha I'm a dessert fan so I wouldn't worry about me finding a gelato parlour ANYWHERE!
happy.gif
Yum! lucky wedding over then can gorge on ice cream! haha</font>

hislove

Hi bride,
u don't want to grow fat immediately after your wedding, do you??? haha.. I'm just kidding.. the gelato is low-fat.. but realli gd.. can't find some flavours in S'pore lor..
When I was in Rome &amp; Florence, I ate gelato ice-cream everyday lor.. haha.. somemore wif toppings..

lyons

<font color="119911">isn't gelato made with "fresh milk" that's why it melts so easily and is so soft? I always thought it was not low-fat, but rather, high-fat since it is more milk than ice
happy.gif

wah shiok! Gelato everyday!</font>

midas

not sure wat gelato is made of...but luv eating it
happy.gif
there's so many fancy flavors in italy...tempting u to try all of them even when its more ex to eat there than in sg
happy.gif
n also the italian guys selling the gelatos r so handsome hehehe...another kind of ice-cream for ur eyes :p

hislove

Midas,
U funny lah.. actually u're right abt the Italian guys.. haha..
I used to joke that everywhere I turn in Rome, the guys look like Totti, the football player.
But they can be quite chessy. hehe.. When I was backpacking in Rome, the guys will give u flying kisses while they riding their Piaggio (scooter), then come close to talk to u even if they can't speak eng.. nearly died.. young &amp; old alike..
I just gave the "Huh" look &amp; walk away quickly!

Bride,
too bad for u.. it's honeymoon.. don't let ur eyes stray yah? haha...
Just concentrate on ur ice-cream! :p

midas

jess,

ya...italian guys very passionate hor. i still remember my Gondola boatman in venice very handsome..all 3 wives of honeymooners couples onboard drools at sight of him hehe..
468185.jpg

hislove

Hi Midas,
That's a cute photo.. haha..
Well.. the gals got to drool at the cute Italian men. I guessed looking is harmless lah hor? haha.. just kidding!

hislove

Hi midas,
ur hubby very confident &amp; self-assured man to tell that Italian guy all the ladies are admiring him. haha.. I think u have a gracious hubby.
Gd for u!

lyons

<font color="119911">hi hi! Need your opinion here... if you had a choice between paying $1600+ per person for a ticket to Rome via SQ and about the same for emirates (think slightly cheaper by $100), which would you choose? I think both are reasonable airlines...</font>

stacy

bride - I travelled with emirates before...its nice, comparable with SQ. But SQ fligt to Rome is direct whereas emirates is transit at dubai right? Also emirates flys during midnight. Btw, my colleague said he lost his luaggage twice while flying wit emirates..not for me thou :p

lyons

<font color="119911">hi stacy! Thanks! You've just confirmed my choice
happy.gif
Blur me forgot all about the transit. Yup, SQ is direct flight. If we book on the SQ website, the discount for 2 to go is really quite a lot. $1600 per pax including tax I thought is quite reasonable. Oh dear... lost luggage? That must have been really troublesome!</font>

midas

hi bride,
remember to buy travel insurance...lost luggages n delay flights r pretty common in europe. u wun regret having tat extra protection while on honeymoon
happy.gif

lyons

<font color="119911">hi midas, oh ya hor! Thanks for the reminder! Are there different types of travel insurance? sorry I very blur about these things. What type of coverage should I get?

Hi stacy, where are you going for your honeymoon?</font>

lyons

<font color="119911">hi stacy, You're going just to italy? so am i!
happy.gif
Are you going on tour or F&amp;E? Care to share the details?</font>

stacy

yup yup..just italy alone. I'm going with contiki. Wanna comos, but they too slow in getting bk to me. Hence, we cfm with contiki. When are u leaving?

midas

travel insurance prices vary according to ur length of travel n country u visit...better check with a few agents for rates n benefits first b4 u decide..me also used AIG during my honeymoon last yr.

lyons

<font color="119911">hi stacy, i'm going with cosmos. booked with them during NATAS. they were ok in getting back to me actually, service good, even now they're still following up with me.

I'm going early nov. you? which tour you chose? i chose "splendours of italy".</font>

lyons

<font color="119911">hi stacy, wow that's soon! You must be excited! Simply Italy is the one that's going to cinque terre as well right? Do let me know how it went when you come back.

wow, so rare to find someone going to just italy, somemore going with contiki, which I also almost signed up with
happy.gif
Hope to hear from your experiences when you come back</font>

lyons

<font color="119911">hi hi! Stacy you still around? forgot to ask which flight you taking? We booked SQ last night. Decided cos the price between Emirates and SQ, seems like SQ more wu hua.

SQ pros: cheap, $3364 for two of us and no stopover
SQ cons: cannot claim krisflyer points cos we are on the 2-to-go promo

Emirates pros: they have flights cheaper than SQ, can claim emirates points.
Emirates cons: those cheaper flights have 4 stopovers on the way home! rome-milan-dubai (wait 1 1/2hr) then dubai-colombo-singapore! Going there still have one stopover.

For emirates flights same price as SQ, $3300 for 2 persons, still have to stopover once there and back so therefore, we chose SQ. only thing is the points but no choice lar, we only want emirates and SQ.</font>

stacy

bride - yes yes..still around. Flying off on Monday! Definately will update when I m back ya! M flying by Qatar. SQ n emirates flight fully booked when I booked.

lyons

<font color="119911">hi stacy! HAVE A GOOD TRIP TOMORROW! So excited for you
happy.gif
Have a fun and ROMANTIC time
happy.gif
</font>

lyons

<font color="119911">hi midas,

when you were researching for which castle to stay, did you consider agriturismos? Farmhouses. What's the difference between castles and agriturismos? Some castles have their own vineyard too right? Confused...</font>

midas

hi bride,

actually main difference is whether tat property appeals to u anot...n whether their pricing fits ur budget..other then tat they r juz buildings..some r older, some r newer tats all. u shld choose based on whether u like tat place n it surroundings, the pricing(take note of the extra charges like electricity n heating), the location (near to makan places, shops, train/bus stn etc.) n whether its easy to get there from the airport/train stn...think villas usually looks nicer n grander, but farmhouses has tis rustic feel to it...depends on wat u prefer..n many of them hv their own vineyards n vege gdns
happy.gif

orosalind

Hi,

Sori to intrude. I am desparately trying to seek help / advise on VAT refund.

Wonder if anyone here has did any research on the procedure to claim VAT refund in Paris?

I am flying over to Paris soon and estimated large sum of purchases (cos my frens entrusted me to buy some expensive items back for them). Wanna know if there is any diff in terms of procedure if I made the puchases in cash vs card and also, what is the pocedure for claiming.

Appreciate if someone cld help if you know the ans. Thanks.
happy.gif

marnie

Orosalind, when you intend to go shopping in Paris (I think it's EUR200 or more in a single receipt in a shop) tell the cashier that you are claiming for VAT, they will usually fill up a form for you to which you need to show together with your purchases (unused) at the airport claim counter.

It's no difference basically in terms of refund by cash or card. I prefer card cos' then I don't need the hassle of changing the currency. But then again, cash gives you the immediate knowledge that you have the refund and not have to check your credit card statement a month later to ensure that the monies have been credited.

orosalind

Hi Idyll, thanks for sharing the info. I was told by someone yest that there is some chrgs involved if I claim cash refund but no chrgs involved if I claim using card. So kindly of confused now. I know if I were to use card to chrg my purch, there will be some chrgs involved (chrg by card company), some banks dun quote the chrgs separately but they incl in the exchg rate to derive a higher exchange rate to convert the bill to S$ when the card company chrg me. But when it comes to VAT refund, no chrgs involved. However, if I use cash, no chrgs on pymt side but admin fee involved in claiming VAT refund. Dunno how true.

marnie

I guess for credit cards, it very much depends on your bank? I know my credit card cos don't really charge separately for purchases made outside of Singapore. Some shops may at their own charge 10% admin fees. Cabs in Singapore does that. So that's entirely at the establishments' discretion whether they will impose additional charge. Check at the shops before you make the purchases.

midas

hi hi,
i hope i'm not too late...in paris/france, u get to claim VAT (about 12%) for purchases above EUR175. can claim back anywhere in europe as long as it is the last stop of ur europe trip. i got mine at Florence airport..in cash, no extra charges. but i heard the paris officers will request to see the actual items so pls dun check-in the goods b4 doing the claims
happy.gif