Advice on Toner

peachbloom

hello everyone!

previously tried using toner but find it too troublesome so did away with it... however, realised that my pores are sort of getting bigger now, so i'm wondering if using toner might help. And if so, any advice on what to get? any difference between cheap ones and the more 'branded' ones?

michy_wong

i think the most impt thing is to find sthg dat suits ur skin, it's really not abt brand. toner is supposed to rinse away leftover impurities after cleansing and draws the pore openings together. so preferably the toner shld contain nutrients to nourish and hydrate the skin.

g00ber

Hi peachbloom, pores get bigger due to clogging. Toner removes the last traces of makeup, control surface oil levels and tones your skin. Think you should continue to use a toner lah..don't be lazy!! ;)

I had large pores on my nose as well. mine is combination skin. some brides here recommended me a pore tightening organic lotion so i bought and tried it. it's day 5 now and i must say i love the results so far. apparently after 1 month, you can really say the pores get really tiny. There's no alcohol or acid so it's gentle and effective. i paid only 70+ for it. think it was worth a go. =D use it after toner.
if you want to try this out, i can email you the details. [email protected]
hope this helps you with your skin prob. I saw results so I am happy to share this here!

peachbloom

hey michy, you're quite a regular here ya? heheh... thanks for sharing your tots..

grape, thanks too... ya, i shouldnt' be lazy... will shop around for one... this thing oyu're using is on top of a toner ah? that means quite a number of steps for me...
cause here's my regime:

cleanse
facial essence
eye cream
moisturiser

if i add on toner, it's 5 steps, quite time consuming, especially when i'm always rushing in the mornings!

some MUA say use toner, some say don't use... have u ladies heard anything about it?

i was looking at the loreal toner at PS essentials and the lady tried to sell me this other french 'salon' brand which is supposed to target "combination skin". is that true? or normal toner will do?

i suppose i just have to try something to see if it is suitable... but just weary of buyings things that are not so good and end up putting them in cold storage. any suggestions?

michy_wong

peachbloom - hehe... i wud hv been more active if my home pc is not down and if i'm not so bz wif my work and renovation.

actually, all these skin care range tailored for oily, dry or combination skin is kinda cliché liao. when the skin care range is gd, it shld target at the cell level, so dat the cells are nourished, no matter what skin type it is. then u'll look gd.

me used to can't be bothered wif toner as well. maybe as i grow older, more heow liao. cannot be 黄脸婆, even after i get married. so i try to be less lazy lor... trust me, u'll get used to the regime once u've gotten used to it.
happy.gif

neosy98

Hi grape,
can share with me your pore tightening organic lotion? what is the brand and where can i buy it?

Thanks.

ms_piggy

Im a lazy bum too...
I've been using this LOREAL Toning Lotion for all skin types, but off and on, so cant really tell whether it works.

Someone told me that CLINIQUE pore minimizer refining serum works!!! I bought one, but used it off and on, so... sorry, cant tell whether it works.

Grape, cans share with me your pore tightening organic lotion?

michy_wong

frankly speaking, i can't really tell too. just dat over time, u'll see dat u've less problems wif ur face.

and cannot use on-off lah... must be a daily regime mar. we oso dun eat on-off ya? dun starve ur face of its nutrients ah... :p

peachbloom

hi grape... i haven't received you message about the pore tightening lotion.. not sure if it's lost in the mail.. can re-send? thanks!

michy, ya i agree with you... now that i'm getting older i find that more skin problems are coming up, so really gotta put in more effort to maintain. hey you're getting married soon? or married, but renovating new house? it's an exciting time =)

g00ber

Michy, I totally agree with you.
We need to continue the regime to see results.

I just manage to clear up the spots on my back. It seems smoother now. What I have done is very simple. I go for body scrub once a month FAITHFULLY.. to take away the dead skin cells monthly, to polish the skin, to rub away all the grime... yieks..
and I also changed my bathing foam to one made from organic ingredients and which is a PH balanced one. I guess this helps alot. a non pH balanced one can cause irritations and pimples so watch out!!

I am on a cell renewal treatment which is really good once every 3 months. This is a 14 day treatment where you apply just before going to bed for 14 consecutive days. Apparently, in deep sleep, your cells start to repair themselves. the treatment will seep into the 2nd layer of the skin to enhance the DNA repair. it worked for me before (I did the treatment before my wedding) and now I am doing it the 2nd time coz its quite expensive and i found a colleague to share the treatment pack with me so each only $200.

Less fine lines, pimple scars heal faster and pores tighten.

this one is expensive so the pore tightening lotion i recommended earlier is a good first buy at $70+.

[email protected]

mitzi

I heard that it's best to get a toner that doesn't contain any alcohol as its ingredient? Is it true?

michy_wong

peachbloom - yah... actually how u noe ah? me just finished reno... planning for my ROM which is gonna be next mth. so now it's really crazy for me...

but but... i wun forget to maintain my face. no matter how bz... cleanse, tone, moisturise is a daily must!
happy.gif

gervynne

i've got really sensitive skin so i usually stay away from toners with alcohol.

but i agree with Michy. cleanse, tone and moisturize is a MUST!

stepford

geryvnne, I see you here too! I'm keen to get the Depsea toner. That one is water-based. Shld be kinder on sensitive skins, yah?

mitzi

Hi Michy

Cos I heard that alcohol tends to 'burn' your skin. Actually I tried a cheap toner w/o the 'alcohol' ingredient and find that it really really helps to tighten my pores. But those with alcohol, doesn't tighten
sad.gif

gervynne

stepford: yeah but i heard from the my fav BA in SG counters that they might be coming out with Depsea skincare sets! Crossing my fingers though

i think the depsea toner has got no alocohol, which i like! my sensitive skin flares up at the slightest bit and so far, i'm loving the depsea moisturizing cream!
happy.gif
have u gotten urs yet?

missmiki

hi all.for good toner is an alcohol free toner so it wont kills our cell.and also use foam type of toner cus 1st it wont waste the toner,2nd air bubbles in the foam helps skin to breathe easily.

galfreedom

Hi gals, not sure if its appropriate to post here. I've got a brand new set of Biotherm Biopur products for sale(Biopur purifying cleansing crystal gel and Biopur astringent matifying refreshing lotion and Biopur Balancing purifying mask). This set is suitable for those with combination and oily skin. All items were bought off the counter last night. Am looking to sell it or either exchange for Biotherm Biosource range products. Please email me at [email protected] if interested to buy/exchange. Thanks.

hptang74

hi gal gal

u can exactly bring back to counter for exchange if everything is in good condition and remain unopened n untouched.

askabride

Hi all,
I'm running out of my current alcohol-free Neutrogena toner soon and i'm thinking of getting rose water as my next bottle (either rosewater used after indian eyebrow threading? or rosewater from guardian pharmacy?). Does any1 have any comparison done between these 2 types of toner? Any comments?

TIA!
happy.gif

faith4ever2

Hi.. i have seen rose water of many ranges in prices... some are 100ml for $50 while some are 200ml for only $35. Can anyone tell me the difference?

fionaallen

Avene toner is good. Gentle, remove all remaining impurities left on the face after cleansing and tightens the pores.

I tried SKII toner before. As it contains a bit of AHA, thus my face sometimes peels...

kokoyln

there are a few terms for toner - Astringent [may contain alcohol - for oily/combine skin], Toning Lotion [can be milky form - for dry/dehyrated skin], Toner [general term - all skin types]
it is a must to tone skin after washing as it remove last dirt, tighten pores, PREPARE skin for receiving the moisturiser/serum/essence.. it is not time consuming to include Toning in skincare regimen.. a little step would give u all the benefits.. you shld feel refreshing after applying toner.. you could apply toner on your back if you have back pimples problem too..
Must Have basic regimen - Cleanse Tone Moisturise

aiwl24

I tried to DIY my own Apple Cider Vinegar Toner, use pure ACV and rosewater to mix. It controls my acne condition.. though the smell is quite strong.

irnixs

i'm using this toner that you just spray on. its introduce by a gal friend and i've not look back since!
no need trouble to go and find cotton pad. i guess its more for reducing pores and hydrating. i really love it. and actually feel very pamper when the mist spray on your face...haha!
Brand is John Masters Organics. can get at www.shinorganic.com. cheapest i can find so far, even with the currency conversion.

http://www.shinorganic.com/productdetails.asp?id=111

summerdrizzle

I am using the julie hewett cucumber spray which is 100% pure cucumber extract. Simply love it! It doesn't irritate my sensitive skin and feels so hydrated and refreshed after spraying. They have rosewater too.. my friend bought a bottle and said it's really really good. Maybe i'll try it after i finish this bottle!

may_bride_ann

I have combination skin so I use 2 types of toner.Both are cheap and easy to obtain. Rosewater for the drier areas of the face. Witch hazel for the T-zone of my face. I got mine at NTUC Unity Healthcare.

kokoyln

Toner is a must cos it help on the folllowing:
- remove last dirt on skin after facial wash
- tighten pores
- prepare skin to absorb the nutrients from the serum & moisturiser applied

Some terms of toner:
Toning Lotion - usually mean milder ingredient, suitable for sensitive/ dry skin
Clarifying Toner - for oily/combination skin
Toner - general term. depend on ingredient to decide which skin type is suitable

icyflame

I'm using a few:

Rose Floral Water - pure rose water that softens & hydrates, good face mist too

Astaxanthin Essence - Instant radiance, firms & contract pores, hydrates

Calendula Soothing Water - regulates sebum production, soothes & hydrates

[email protected]

beauty_angel

i used to have big clogging pores too but if u have big pores it normally due to clogging in the pores,it will make your pores worst if u still continue using toner.

unless all your pores are totally clean or else toner will clog more dirt into your pores.

i'm one of them,i stop using toner and it does help after consulting the dermatologist.

applecp

I am using a oil-free and alcohol-free pink toner. Can see my pores becomes smaller now. This pink toner can be also used as a mask. I paid $34 for it.

lina_allan

I'm using rose hydrosol toner from BOD. Can just spray on cotton pad and dab on the face. I can definitely feel my pores tightening from using this toner because of its red raspberry extract + witch hazel. Bought it at $32 at Watsons.

plain

tong en, toner cause clogged pores??? oops oopss.. really? i've been using toner for quite long le.

plain

eh... actually i did some read up, toner actually tone our skin which will helps in the absorbing of the products thereafter.

weiwee

skinfood toner not bad, jasmine you can try it. i also btb need to take gd care of skin too. by the way i dun feel toner clog pore lei