A place to show your beautiful kitchen....

clmy09

hi... thks for the compliments...

yup, the bottom laminates looks like wood, but the touch is jus like normal laminates...

my TV console n kitchen sliding door are using this laminates also... =)

lilacgal

hello beanie! *wave*

haha ya agree tat ur kitchen looks really funky there...very earthy colors
happy.gif
those r the few wall tiles u hv, so the rest of the walls u just paint over?

i hv seen tis wood-like laminate, u hv it in living room as well? i guess ur living room gives a v cosy feel...

clmy09

hi lilacgal...

ya... i like brown colour... gives a very cosy feeling... the rest of my walls are painted lor... no $ to replace the wall tiles... kekeke

chendol

initially i wanted to just plaster over too. then my ID convinced me to tile the whole kitchen, even behind the cabinets. so if i decide to change cabinets in future my design won't be restricted there are no tiles. guess tiles are more lasting if we cook often.
happy.gif

got a bit of a surprise when i went to see my work in progress kitchen. instead of plain grey, my kitchen cabinets laminate turned out to have some mottled effect! not what i expected, since couldn't see the whole effect from the small sample, but my ID said that it's actually a more expensive type of laminate so think I'll just have to get used to it.... all these surprises that pop up now and then during reno. *fainted*

kj2126

Beanie sry for the late reply, thanks for your pic, nice kit cabniet u have. By the way yours is a 3 or 4 rm? How much did they charge you for this design?

clmy09

hi twinkle...

tiles r indeed more lasting if we cook often.. tat's y i put those tiles there. but how come if u change cabinets in future, the design will be restricted leh?

we opt for plastering the rest of the wall b'cos my kitchen is quite broad... so it'll stain my other wall...

JT,

mine is a 4-rm old flat... this flat is 27 years old liao... how much ah? i forgot liao... abt 2 years ago leh...

but my sliding door is veri affordable... less than 1k...

clmy09

i mean it won't stain my other wall... hehe

twinkle... it's ok, reno is like tat one... if u don't like it, y not get them to change them.

chendol

cos if only have tiles over some area, then if I want to put cabinets on the other side and not on the current side, then will look funny... sorry not very good at explaining... or if you remove the top cabinets then no tiles behind, but got tiles below might look funny that sort of thing.
happy.gif

clmy09

oh ok... i get wat u trying to mean...

but for me... so far no such prob. but if u really wanna take down the top cabinets... yr tiles will be spoilt also mah... so no diff, got to replace it... =)

chendol

see whether my significant other likes it... if he does then no issue lor. if he doesn't then maybe worth fighting lor. I am undecided about whether i like the laminate u see...

vvn

twinkle, but even if u put tiles behind the cabinets, if they sort of drill and destroy the tiles when the mount the cabinets, won't the tiles be gone too?

summerice

even if the tiles will spoil i think only a few pcs...so replacing them wont be too much trouble as compare to tile the whole empty area.

Anyway HDB kitchen cannot give us room to play with how we want to position our cabinets. Usually that position will be forever, even if u change design or color of cabinet.

chendol

my kitchen is bigger than my MBR.... older resale you see... initially wanted to put island in the middle, then the cost was so high might as well just buy a table put in the middle haha.

vvn

summerice,

ya lor. plus the stove and sink also forever will be in those positions set by HDB pipess!

morinir,

hey, nice kitchen to have different colors for top and bottom cabinet! er, what's that on the paper behind the stove? advert ah?

summerice

anyone know where to buy whistle kettle but not with black handle and not electric kind...i am look for those colorful ones. I found some at parkway isatan...but dont have the color i want. Any other places sell this kind of kettle?

Those color coated kettle will they drop or fade or become black color once u put over the fire n boil the water?

chendol

thanks for sharing morninir.

my top cabinets are white also... bottom ones are grey, to match my floor. I have come to the conclusion that my grey textured laminate is nice!
happy.gif

morinir

ah_c, i am not very sure cause my contractor install it for me.. Yup.. that is the stainless steel protection for the hob. I not staying there yet so not removing it yet.

morinir

Charly, thanks for your comments as my contractor choose the colour for us.. anyway we do not want the kitchen to appear too dark so we choose white for the top cabinets and as below cabinets will be easily dirty so we choose a darker tone for it.

sandsand

ah C... i wanted tempered glass for the backing too, but we were a bit worried if it was dangerous... even if we gt the thicker glass might still crack lor... i think somewhere in this home and decor forum, someone had a tempered glass top for a cooker hob.. it cracked...

ah_c

ribbons,
think i saw that post oso, and it warrently does not cover the glass, so sad. Heard to prevent it is quite easy, just dun wipe striaght after cooking, let it cool down 1st.

summerice

i think it crack because the glass cannot take the heat when u prolong ur cooking. So better check it out first, to prevent time, money and anger from being lost. hehehe

summerice

ID_DIY wow ur kitchen is wide until u can have both side cabinets. What kind of house are u staying in. I like ur big drawers....hehehe i have 2 of them as well. very unique that u install the light on the wall.

summerice

In fact if use cabinets the cabinets also not much storage space...thats what happen to be...but i dont have wide kitchen like ID_DIY so even though not much space i also have to build the cabinet.

kj2126

Hi Vivi,
What the brand of ur hod and hoob? Mind telling me how much you pay for it? Shld be a stainless steel one right base on your picture.

nichiyobi

Hi Vivi,

Not yet cuz its still under construction.
I really envy all who got theirs.
So till then, I'm here to drool on others home.
Thank you so much for sharing your home.

suparcat

Hi beryberry,
Thanks for the compliment. They called it glass with color backing. Yup, about $700+

Hi Nichiyobi,
Its normal glass sprayed with blue paint at the back. u r right, those lights are called L-box lights.

Hi Ah_c,
My contractor did drilled some holes on the glass to fixed the hood. I believe the glass will not chip or crack cos its quite thick and they used special tool to drill those holes..