A place to show your beautiful kitchen....

chendol

thanks gals. Yah usually the bottom of the oven will be same level as the top of the solid surface, if you only have one oven in the tall unit.

If you have oven and microwave, the oven will be shifted lower, and the microwave will sort of be slightly higher than the solid surface.

Think I try to post pictures so it's clearer....

chendol

Example of oven bottom same level as solid surface.
428788.jpg

summerice

if u have space on the table top, i think its better. if not u have to have a big hole for the microwave in case u change model then how? Somemore now the microwave also got big one like the steam microwave kind.

chendol

that's true... the microwave part will just be a shelf... so can change size lor...

i think if I have oven will not get too big a microwave oredi.

anyone put both oven and microwave on one tall unit and finds it inconvenient?

i dun mind putting microwave on my solid surface also, just thinking since I'm making tall unit might as well put both microwave and oven in one unit? dunno... confused...

another pix of oven in tall unit, this time slightly higher than table top level.
428792.jpg

happie100

hi this is the m/w and oven in the same tall unit... the counterheight is about waist level. so u can agar figure out the height of the appliances and plan.
happy.gif

429013.jpg

summerice

wha the microwave very high leh...i find it too high for me to use it happily. Unless only heat small amount food, if not i will find it very dangerous.

chendol

wah happie, is this yr kitchen? the fisher and paykel fridge is very swee. but i got no money to buy, haha.

the oven looks like an Elba??

Think I'd go for a slightly lower oven and adjust the microwave lower... but if oven too low then defeats the purpose of having it in the tall unit for easy access - might as well do those put under stove types.

renovation is so complex!!

sandsand

happie.... are u and ur hubby very tall? ur microwave very high up leh! too high for me... i will most prob spill the hot contents over me and die of 3rd degree burns.....

sandsand

summer|ce... then i will fall off the chair and die not just cos of the 3rd degree burn.. i will die of the skull fracture!!

happie100

haha ... i'm not very tall lah .. the height of the top of the oven is about my shoulder height, then m/w is placed higher than mi lor. At first u won't get used to it, but must plan so that u dun have to tiptoe in order to put in stuff and take out stuff ... the fridge is not tat tall so dun compare the height wif fridge ... cos got cement base.

wat big items r u going to put inside to heat which will cause serious burns? for liquids, dun put too much ... i got a bigger capacity m/w so that i can put wider ware .. can contain more and not filled to the brim...

chendol

orh... so actually the top of the microwave is until the top of your head? my spatial sense very bad...

check with you how much did you pay for the ariston oven? do u remember the model?

thanks!

happie100

i think my head is in the middle of the microwave ... so eye level is about 1/4 from the base of m/w .... i can see the turn dish ...

Ariston ICE CAtalytic oven FD 97 C.1/E ICE bought at $1070

happie100

hi ribbons, still can manage to get items from the m/w without much hassle, just need to lift ur arms and go in and take out ... i think wif stool will be more dangerous for me as i will forget and miss the stool and fall ... haha have a step ladder at home for me to climb and reach the cabinet above the m/w slot and clean the top of the m/w

criz

Hi, there.

Me too, planning to have the same placement like happie only that the M/W door is flip down. But hubby against it as he said I super careless. So think either have the M/W place below the Oven or put it somewhere else. But nowaday kitchen pretty small. <sian>

Anyway, thanks alot for sharing the pics.
Regards
criz

chendol

I have decided folks! Since I am such a short stump, I shall make my oven (bottom) same height as the bottom of my first cutlery drawer. then my microwave will definitely be a comfortable height. yay.

twinnie07

piggypig.. it looks kind of funny with the tracks out of nowhere. Maybe box-up the tracks to the ceiling? it will look nicer! Ur glass door is nice!

sandsand

summerice.. the ones that i saw are not about $100 and its near the entrace (if u went to the paya lebar outlet)

piggypig... nice glass door... =) if u mind the track u can consider putting up some ornamental pieces there if its broad enough? if u dont mind than leave it lor.. think it looks fine too.

vvn

i realise a lot of you have your whole kitchen done up from scratch. I bought a resale flat, and it's in an almost live-in condition with minor works. the kitchen is quite obiang, it's not ugly, i just don't like it.

but because the kitchen sink and cooker area is concrete top with wooden doors etc. I need to pay a lot to hack everything away. Was thinking of just changing the cabinet doors for the whole kitchen but contract says it's kind of pointless, might as well redo.

does anyone have the experience of just changing the doors of cabinets etc? how much does it cost in general?

thanks lots for your replies

sandsand

hi charly..

why does ur ID say no point changing cabinets? u only changin door right, not hacking away anything else right? Door very easy to change one what... make sure he's not trying to force u into doing more stuff ok...

chendol

yah I think changing doors is quite enough if you are happy with the rest of the kitchen. someone on this thread also did that. can scroll through to read and ask her abt her experience.

i think when your ID said it's pointless he just wants to ketok you for more money. : P

lilacgal

hi charly, mine is e same case as u...but it is sliding doors kind...i didnt redo in the end..i did ask for quotation of changing the doors only...it definitely can be done but i tik not tat cheap also, tats y they always tell us no point might as well redo whole kitchen...

did u ask the contractor how much it will cost to replace doors only?

vvn

hi ribbons twinkle and lilacgal,

thanks for your comments! ok, just checked out the earlier comment. hmm, she also commented that making the whole cabinet is not very much more ex than just changing the doors.

may be will check with contractor how much to redo, or replace the doors. my kitchen is quite big and there are many doors to replace!

update u guys!

summerice

I find that concrete one will be more lasting...dont have to worry about the quality of wood they use and wont wear n tear even after 10years can wash it also hehehe.

If u hack it away wont ur floor tiles be affected also...then u have to make sure they can get back the same tiles. I think the cost will be much more then changing the door only right?

vvn

summerice,

yup. that's what my contract says. hacking the concret structure will cost alot. but changing doors only also not that worth it. it's like he doesn't want to do the kitchen for me lor!

anyway, my mom suggested to paint the cabinet doors. cheap and instant new look, but is this do-able?

chendol

hmmm... think painting won't really change the look that much. guess ultimately it depends on what you want and need...

i think it's possible but you need to find the wood veneer kind of paint.

summerice

hmmm u can try, but u must know how to paint. If the condition of the door is still o.k then leave it, wont give u more work. After sometime u will get use to the obiang look.

I think i will just change the doors if this person dont want to do it for me then i find others. I wont let designers change my ideas unless its about functionality.

vvn

summerice,

ha ha i like your sentense "after sometime u will get use to the obiang look."!

ok thanks to u all for the suggestion. waiting for my contractor to get back to me, so update here in a few days' time!

wisqix

hi charly, I also din like my kitchen cabinet initially and wanted to chg the doors only cos of money consideration. But its really not worth it as the contractor mentioned lor. Assuming your cabinet has about 20 doors, it will easily cost above 1.5k just to chg the doors. If your cabinet doors are flat surface (cos mine is curved towards the side) maybe you can look for laminates and paste them yourself. But I tink need a lot of effort cos you gotta cut it to the correct size. And you will also need to unscrew the handles one by one to paste the laminates and screw them back after that. Another solution is if your floor and wall tiles are more common types like all white, easy to find... force your contractor to hack away existing cabinet but not harm the tiles. Any tiles harmed just replace them one by one. But also a lot of effort.. on the contractor's part lah. To replace tiles one by one not easy... see what your contractor say. HTHs.
happy.gif

vvn

hihi all,

got quotation, it's $80 for 1 door! i haf around 16 doors... think will just stick to ugly doors.

shrt msg coz using spoilt laptop w a spoil 'blank' button n spoil lttr abcd_fghi

kj2126

Hi everyone,

Wanna get some suggestions from you guys, any ideas of what can I do besides a bar counter? The walls between the kitchen and living room has been hacked down by previous owner. My FH likes the idea of having bar counter but I don't so wondering is there any alternative.

clmy09

these r the oni wall tiles i've in my kitchen...

JT...

can do a sliding glass door like mine. but the pic is too big to post here. let me know if u wanna see... i can email u

chendol

that's a funky kitchen... are the bottom laminates supposed to look like wood veneer? personally I'm not using any wood like laminates... like simple plain colours.
happy.gif