A Meeting Place for New Home Owners!

troubled

thanks!! I think I will go ahead it...But will still source out for the best pricde...
But will also make sure they are reliable heard too many bad cases liao...
happy.gif

decbride

Hi troubled.

Seems a good price. Go for it!
Make sure that they do a proper base (white coat) and an even top layer.

How much are you paying for the polishing?

bea

Hey all,

Just an update:

My house reno has completed. Cleaned the house last Thu and had all my orders delivered over the weekend.

The house is finally furnished
happy.gif
I can officially stop shopping. Whew
happy.gif

Hope the rest of you are enjoying yourselves too ")

catz

Hello Bea dear,

Oh no, the end of shopping mania! Hehe..
happy.gif
It's a relief that all your deliveries came over the weekend.. now you can start putting your odds and ends together.

New Ikea catalogue came already... I just like flipping through it although my house is all done-up already.
happy.gif
Still looking for my elusive telephone stand though :p Saw a wenge one at Barang but it doesn't fit in with my blonde wood deco so gotta keep looking!

Bought some open-stock plain white corningware plates and bowls at Tangs during the sale.. 20% so pretty worth it. But got into a car accident on the way back so burned $900 fixing the car.. feel so guilty *sigh*

bea

Hi catz,

Deliveries as well as odds and ends are complete too. Kept myself so bz since Thu till Sun.

Can relax and plan for my weddingnow
happy.gif

How did u injure the car? Someone crashed into mine on Sunday evening. Got the scratches and rear headlights fixed. Cost me $400

But then, that's it. No choice but to folk out the $$. As good as new now
happy.gif

catz

Hi Bea,

Glad that you can sit back and concentrate on your wedding planning.
happy.gif

I was not feeling well and a bit fatigued lor.. the next thing I know I heard glass breaking and metal crunching.. sigh. Bashed into the back of a van at the filter.. sian. :p Eh, if someone crashed into your car, can't their insurance cover it? Should claim!!! For me, I langa the guy from the back so it's my fault. Luckily he didn't have any damage! :p

bea

Hi catz,

The person crashed into my car when it was in the lot. Didn't own up to his/her misdeed. So i absorb the bill.

One long scratch across the fuel cover and rear lite cracked. Just got the car back yesterday.

catz

Hi Bea,

Poor thing! Luckily your damage wasn't too serious but it sucks when it really isn't your fault. :p

I wonder how decbride's doing with her curtains.
happy.gif

decbride

Hi Bea/Catz,

Most important you gals are Ok.
So good that your house is all done up! I'm getting a bit tired lately as I'm also very stressed up at work.

Catz,

have not been doing my curtain. So, still outstanding. Mine is an organza curtain. I completed 2 panel, except that I have not sew up the ends yet. The other 2 panel is almost done, just that last month, I decided to add an extension at the bottom of the fabric to create 2 tone effect, that's why got some delay. (Itchy backside)

I'm giving myself a good break now until I finish my photoshoot. Hopefully, I get it done by next month.

I still need to do my cards printing and some other misc stuffs. My aim is to get all done in Nov. So I can relax in Dec.

catz

Hi decbride,

Oh, if yours is organza, then confirm cannot use the hemming tape! Wah.. two-tone effect?
happy.gif
Stylo huh?
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

I think your plan is good. The more time you give yourself to plan and do stuff before the wedding, the less stressed out you'll be on the big day. When's your photoshoot? Who's your photog?

decbride

Hi Catz,

Ker ker ker. Maybe too ambitious liao. The bottom extension is not organza. It's some other fabric, dunno what is it call. Also I wanted the fabric to weigh the organza curtain down a bit so that it will not fly so much when wind blows.

My photoshoot is next month. Less than 3 weeks to go. So nervous! I'm trying hard to lose some weight now. So far, so good lor. I'm with French boutique.

catz

Hey decbride,

Actually that's a very good idea for your organza curtains 'cos it gets so irritating when your curtains fly everywhere! :p Is it hard to join the two different fabrics together? 'Cos organza is very filmy so the stitching has to be quite fine to prevent bunching with the heavier material.. (remembering what little I know from Home Ec classes.. hehe..)

Thanks for defending me in the other thread. Dunno why those anonymous posters are so venomous... Really appreciate the support.
happy.gif

French boutique seems pretty good. As for the weight loss, don't worry lah. I found that the weight drops off naturally. Just try to avoid eating too much rice, esp at night. Now I'm trying to lose post-marriage fat. Hehe...

decbride

Hi Catz,

It's OK. Just that the curtain is a very big piece of fabric. So, got to be careful with it.
I basically sew zig-zag stitch so that it looks like a design rather than simple a straight joint.

No problem!
wink.gif

I just respect that everyone has a freedom of speech.

They are Ok lah. Have some pretty nice people there. I guess all boutiques are basically all the same. Depends on individual requirements.
Sometimes, I also have problem with them, luckily, I've learnt to disregard those. (I want to be a happy bride mah) and most impt I love the make-up artist!

I seems to have put on weight rather than lose naturally. That's why I think I have to put in more hard work. Sometimes I also lazy lah. Hopefully I will look nice in the photos.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

catz

Hey decbride,

Agreed, the curtains involve a heckuva lot of fabric. :p Quite tiring, even using hemming tape!

Glad that you like your make-up artist.. she's a very important person!! Don't worry about losing weight lah.. I'm sure you look really good already. 99% of brides lose weight before the wedding, so don't stress ok? It's amazing how good you will look in the wedding pix.. serious, not bluffing you. I wasn't really skinny or anything but I was nicely surprised that my studio pix turned out pretty well. It's all due to make-up make-up make-up!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Nice to have someone stick up for me and freedom of speech. Cheers!

decbride

Hi Catz,

ha ha.... more stress more weight.
crazy.gif

Hopefully mine turn out as nice.
happy.gif
Hubby took some pictures of me in the gowns and I think that I really look fat.
sad.gif
So must lose some esp before my actual day.

Take it easy yah!

catz

hi decbride,

au contraire my friend... more stress, less weight! anyway, do remember to take care of your health. this would be a good time to start on health supplements, if you haven't already so that you won't fall ill before/during the wedding.

actually, the most obvious parts which will show up are arms and chin (or maybe only for me) so some toning exercises will help. for tummy, usually can pinch with the corset and girdle so not so bad. hehe..
happy.gif

decbride

Hi Catz,

Ok! Thanks! Somehow I seems to much more if I'm feeling stressed. Maybe that's why!

Mine is at the arm and hip.

I'm having a low back EG, so cannot have corset and if my waist is fat, can see lor. :p
Now doing stomach cruches every other day man. So siong!

catz

Hey decbride,

One tip for stomach crunches - try to hold it for a few seconds.. the results really make the crunches worth the pain. Also, extend your arms out and 'pulse' - pushing towards the ceiling but keep your chin down to maintain the right crunching position.

K

kichen

hi all new home owners,

I need HELP. Doing my reno now and my contractor just called to say there is a 4 finger gap between my kitchen wall and floor and HDB has ran out of tiles, have to use a different tile. Oh my!I can't imagine. I am staying at Rivervale Dr, any kind soul has spare light bluish kitchen tiles to spare?

catz

hi kitchen tile,

i think there are a few threads with people from sengkang and punggol.. maybe you should also post there so you can cover more ground and hopefully find your tiles. or else maybe you could try those big shops like sim siang choon?

decbride

Hi kitchen tile woe,

Just in case you couldn't find. You might like to consider using grey or dark blue to have some patterns. However I think that you sure can find one lah
happy.gif
Don't worry!

bea

Hey all,

So quiet...

no updates, anyone?

Enjoying my new santuary
happy.gif

Met my new neighbour. Another young couple. Will be starting their reno soon.

Hope to hear from u all soon
happy.gif

yan

hi bea,
my new place is at rivervalves cresent and i am doing my reno in mid of oct... my place is a standard so i am do everthing even living room and bedroom flooring ....

bea

Hi yan yan,

Ohhh, staying at Seng Kang. My new place is at Choa Chu Kang. Finished my reno beginning of Sep.

Mine is also standard. Everything from scratch.

HOpe you will enjoy renovating. It's quite fun
happy.gif

bluebell

Hi All,

Is it ok if I join in?

I just confirmed on my contractor and will be starting reno soon. Was wondering if anyone has any comments on the hood and hob from Elfa? Also, any comments on kitchen sink? Is granite better than stainless steel? Lastly, any idea where I can get lightings besides Balestier Road?

ann

Hi bluebell,

There are many lighting shops at IMM too. Can go have a look see there.

My hood and hob is from Mayer. Reasonable price.

Stainless steel sink is ez to clean.

Hope this helps

yan

i bought my lighting in blastier road not bad la... my id bring me there to see.... in two week time my air con contractor will be start to install my air con by then my flooring should be done up ... so fast ..

bluebell

Hi Ann & Yan Yan,

Thanks for the info. By the way, what is the normal procedure for reno? As in is it wet works first and followed by painting?

ann

Hi bluebell,

Wetworks, electrical points,carpentry & paint job.

Make sure that your electricals are done even before painting.

Mine was a circus. Electrician ding dong ding dong. Then after the 1st coat of paint, he came back to fix this and that. Spoilt everything. The ID had to order extra paint to re-paint the entire house.

We told them not to paint before electricals were complete. ID company insisted as painters were avilable. So we let them go ahead. Electical pple ended up smudging all the walls. Had to re-paint.

def

Hi Ann,

My Contractor advise ask to get the aircon fixed , painting ( so that they can paint the trunkage too),acid waSH , THEN ELECTRICAL WORK . Is the procedure right ??

Rgds
def

dunno

hi all, like to seek yr advice since u all have bought yr nests...

-is there a govt grant for buying new HDB flats? how does it work? ...

-is the change to take out loans from banks applicable to us (first-timer and not high income)? thanks very much.

gwen

Hi dunno,

No, there is no govt grant for buying new HDB flats. Work only for open market ones. The reason HDB gave is that new HDB flats are already at a subsidised rate. =>

Def: Best if you can arrange to have your air-con person to come twice. Once to install the trunking, second to install the units. Then you can have the walls nicely painted and the aircon units "untouched". =>

Wiring should always come first. Unless your contractor's talking about installation of lights?

ann

Hi Def,

Trunking can be done concurrently with the electricals. So that painting job goes smoothly.

My aircon trunking is concealed. It's conceled below the main beams. Looks like part of the beams in the house. As a result, it's just painting of walls in my case.

Power points need to be fixed up before painting. If do after painting, may smudge your walls.

yan

same to me too.... my reno oso do air con frist then flooring so it ok... my id say in case they spoilt my floor when they do the electrical

A

armani

hi everybody

the proper procedure to reno yr hse is

1. electrical
2. air-con
3. false ceiling (if any)
4. wet works
5. painting (1st code)
6. carpentry
7. painting (2 & 3 code)
8. electrical installation

if u follow this procedure you cant go wrong

rgds

L

lamitak

Hi,
Just wondering if there's anyone who's used the
new Lamitak 3-D laminate. It's one of those
laminates that come in either white or light beech colour, and it's got some texture to it, due to its 3-D style (ie., when you touch it, it's not smooth like other laminates, it tries to imitate the texture of real wood). Anyone has any comments on this laminate? I'm thinking of using this for my kitchen cabinets, but I'm worried about it being more difficult to maintain and wipe, compared to normal smooth laminates. Would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

A

anyone

Hi,

anyone care to share pics of yr house done up after renvo?

We have been looking for ideas to do renvo... esp the kitchen. We have lot of space constraints....
sad.gif

puzzled

Hi anyone,

Hmm we also new house owners, just signed up a reno package with Lourve Design...dunno if made the right choice. Have been looking at the neighbours who have moved in around our flat. Must ask nicely and usually they are very kind and let us have a look. Good to get ideas from them actually, afterall they must have gone through a lot of trouble to tackle the same constraints as you are facing now. Look out for special features and ask them why they have done certain things. Good luck!

happy.gif
puzzled

puzzle

Dear TT,
Actually, on comparison with other quotes like The Interior Place and Simply Creative, like in the middle. In the end the basic package is 12,230 (after minus 150 for lucky draw:p, too bad never get the prize for kitchen cabinet). I think more expensive because of the 22 ft kitchen cabinet. If you are interested, we compare quotations. Hubby paid the deposit...

gin

hi puzzled,

you got your package from Lourve huh?? me went to expo yesterday and look at lourve, the designer seems not bad in his design...

but am not sure how is their service?? any experience to share?

aiyo, now so headache,sourcing for reno. yesterday, practically every ID firm dragged us to their booth...
sad.gif
didn't get to see much things....

T

tt

Puzzle,
I got a few quotations from another 5 companys. All about the same but Lourve is not cheap lor. My hubby look at the price he ask why so ex? The person jus reply, ex meh? Well, i got another colleague who has already sign with them and has completed. I show him my quote and he commented he quote me quite high. So i gave up on them. Actually, i have 2 ex-collleage now working with them.
happy.gif
That's why ask you who your contractor is.

puzzle

TT and Gin,
Yah lor the people are so agressive, but most are rather nice. Must go to the next expo to find furniture liao.
Actually very true, in fact LD offers one of the most ex packages out of the few I can see at the Expo, even though they say it is Special Designer Package. How did your colleague found her contractor? Trust-worthy? We are working with Colin.

T

tt

Puzzle,
So its Colin Francis, the short plump guy who look like malay right. He's my ex-colleague alright. Where you stay? If you stay in the east, he'll take care of it, since he stay in Punggol. But since its colin, you can trust him. He's a responsible guy, in fact his house also done by LD before he left my company. His house is more to garden theme, and he spent $40k doing it if i'm not wrong.
In fact my colleague(sign with LD) is a guy, we were all his ex-colleague. I hope you get a good bargain from him. Ever ask him to revise your quote? I hope you did, becos that's when the things get cheaper. My friend got some freebies from him like the hood and hob, maybe some other stuffs but i forgot liao. How much did he quote you and what type of housing you stay? From the package they give you, i think its 5room standard right?
Think the reason i didn't take them is not only the price is on the high side but not very click thou he was my colleague in the past. Friend also hard lah, scare from friends can also be enemy in future.

puzzle

TT,
Thanks for putting my mind to better rest. I think he is Eurasian. Now that you mention it, after looking at the many wonderful pictures from the Forumers, I will most probably need to revise the quote. No lah, our flat is only a small small 4-room. Reminds me of the Kancil ha ha ha