A Meeting place for all Plus Size Brides

mixue79

Hi ladies,

Do drop a note and make frens here.

I'm Michelle, a new member here. I'm a Plus Size Bride and I need help from all of u.

I've been chubby since young and have put on quite a bit of weight this year due to snacking from stress due to my work and studies. I weight abt 78kg and stand only at abt 1.56m....

Will need to slim down to at least 60kg for my wedding after mid of 2008.....date not fixed yet. 50kg+ will make me look very frail and haggard so 60kg is alright. Gotta exercise lots, cut down on snacks and watch my diet.

I'm invited to attend the wedding dinner of my FH's cousin end of Sept 07. FH said we will be the 2nd main attention beside the bride and groom cos everyone in his family wants to meet is gf & future wife. It will be the 1st time I'm meeting most of his relatives so I need to look presentable in order to give a good impression. FH was nice. He told me to just be myself and wear something which I'm comfortable in.

However, I dun even have any formal dresses, shoes etc cos I dun hv to wear formal for work....mainly jeans and denim skirts. I'm also hopeless at applying my own makeup as I'm just a simple gal next door. It's also difficult to find any nice and affordable dresses that I can fit cos I'm plus size...... very stressed now
sad.gif

SOS....can anyone help? There is only abt 3 weeks left......thks
happy.gif

P/S - can Plus size brides share ur wedding photos pls? My email is - [email protected] We are also looking around for bridal studios. But the immediate daunting task would be my FH's cousin's wedding dinner.

Hi Michelle..

I was in the same situation like you most of the time... (=
Let us solve the urgent dress first... You can try Marks & Spencer or dorothy perkins.. They have larger size gown. But if you are not look for gown, they also have blouse or even t-shirt and pants. If it is not so formal just smart casual, perhaps anything with pants will be good enough.
My work doesnt need me to wear formal too. So everytime I need these stuff, M&S and DP cant run away..

If you need help, I can always acc you to select and give you better idea... Not forgetting, I am a ++ size bride too.

Cheers,
Jaz

fat_fat_79

Hi Michelle and Jaz

I'm also a ++size bride. As Im a very boyish person, I also have the same problem. =( I only have wear t-shirts and jeans during work or going out. I now have problem choose my BS and I also have problem wearing high heels. Sob!!

Hi, fat_fat_79,

How can i address you?

No worries la.. THere a will there is a way...
My BS is santiago.. THey made beautiful gown.. You may have heard bad stuff about them.. But trust me, everywhere is the same....
Boyish also can be beautiful bride horz... its only matter of makeup and angle of photoshoot...

Cheers

jo23

Hi Michelle, fat_fat_79 and jaz!

Me too a plus size bride to be. My AD will be in Nov07. i did manage to lose some weight during these few mths but still far from ideal weight. However I realise as long as the confident is there, smile and be yourself, we can look good too. So dun worry..
happy.gif

My BS is Bridal Concept. So far no problem working with them on my MTM gowns.
happy.gif

Yes, i agreed with Jaz, we can be pretty brides too, its only matters of makeup and angle of photoshoot.

Michelle: U can get a dress from M&S or DP as mentioned by Jaz, add on a cardigan and u will look as pretty to attend the dinner. Not a problem!
happy.gif

jazzy_chimes

Hi ladies, bonjour!
happy.gif

Michelle and fat_fat_79, don't wory, I've learnt to appreciate myself throughout the years, yeah, I'm big but I can also be pretty. I'm same size as Michelle, UK size 18. My AD is Nov 08 and my BS is Bridal Concept too, same as Jo.

I guess for attending wedding dinners, there shouldn't be a need to wear a gown, right? If you need nice dresses, Dorothy Perkins, Topshop and Miss Selfridge are good places to go. Try Robinsons too.
happy.gif
As for heels, if stilettos is a no-no for you, then try thick heels
happy.gif
As mentioned by Jaz and Jo, the gist is be confident and smile!
happy.gif

Michelle and fat_fat, why don't u join us at the plus-size thread under Bridal Boutiques and Services Forum? Most of us are actively posting there. See ya there!

mixue79

Hello to all my new frens in this forum ( fat_fat_79, Jaz, Jo & Chimes)!

Nice knowing all of u and thanks for ur encouragement. Really appreciate them.

I dun intend to wear a gown....no need so formal lah....heehee....dun wanna to be central of attraction....the guests shld focus on the bride & bridegroom. I dug into my wardrobe. I hv an outfit in mind.....it is a maroon top with a black knitted thingie...it is similar to a shawl but it is not a shawl... a dark brown 3/4 skirt.
The top and skirt are brand new....haven't worn b4. Will try to take pic of the outfit and post online for everyone to see...pls feedback whether suitable or not.

Btw wanna exchange Friendster email add? Mine is [email protected]

Oh yah, something to share with u if u are looking for photographer. My FH and I will be considering to engage this photographer for actual day wedding...My gd fren and her hubby engaged him for their wedding. We saw their photos and found tat his wk are quite good. U can check out his portfolio @ http://www.jaycephotography.com

Take care!

mixue79

Hi jaz (happiee_yippiee), thanks for offering to accompany me to shop for clothes. We can still go shopping
happy.gif
If really cannot find any other suitable stuffs then I think I will just wear something simple and yet not too casual.....the maroon top with black knitted shawl like thingie....and a dark brown 3/4 skirt.

How is ur schedule like from now till 28 Sept 07?

Really appreciate ur offer!
Thanks so much
happy.gif

Hi Michelle,

17,20,24,28 I am available any time the day...
The rest, either I am working day shift or night shift... so maynot be convenience for you...

Can I have your email? Send you something....
Let me know again...

mixue79

Hi Jaz,

Thanks, will check my roster and let u know.
So coincidental, I'm on shift work too.......in the customer service line
happy.gif
What are u working as?

My email is - [email protected]

Thanks beary much!

Cheers,
Michelle

jc79

dear ladies...

to share, i was a plus sized bride too... (hehe my wedding was in Sep 2005), srill a plus size now. I think I look grest then :p even my exboss & colleagues say so.

I tool my gowns in JB, although not MTM, the lady boss helped me checked out alot gowns., 3 wedding gowns, 3 evening gowns for my photo shoots.. on top of this, I went bangkok to custom made 1 evening gown... in the end too many gowns to wear.

Clothes wise, I always shop in bkk for many of my clothes, cheap and nice. If you looking for gowns, marks and spencer and dorothy perkins definitely is a choice.

Sometimes, OG has some selection too.

If you need other advice ...just let me know ok...

Glad to help the gals here :D

mixue79

Dear Charmaine (taime81), thanks for ur encouragement. Paiseh, I'm not much of a help to u cos I usually wear casual tees, jeans, berms, denim skirts etc. Only wear formal clothes if need to be on training at other offices.....tat is like once in a blue moon....heehee.

Dun fret for ur buddy's wedding. I believe u can find a pretty white dress with matching white sandals with heels. We are plus size so try to opt for sandals with thick heels cos it will provide u with more support. Then go for a nice manicure and pedicure....u can try french manicure....nice
happy.gif

But dun mind me being honest, as ur new fren....I feel tat u shld save on the slimming treatment cos the special event is on Sat....only today & Fri days left....not going to make a big different leh.

After all, ur presence at ur buddy wedding is more important than anything. She would be very glad to have u gals there as her jie mei.

Just be confident and u will look dazzling!
Hv fun and Enjoy yourselves @ the wedding!

Take care and All the Best!
~Michelle~

mixue79

Hi jaz (happiee_yippiee), I'm off on 20 Sept too.....unless need to work last min....

I'm free any time up to 5pm. We can meet for an early lunch then go shopping....where would be good for us to shop?

mixue79

Hey gals,

Maybe we can all go on a short 3D2N shopping trip to Bangkok one of these days.....should be quite affordable
happy.gif

Hi Michelle,

20 Sept.. on for that day.. early lunch not a prob. till 5pm not a prob too. Where... Erm.

Anyone know Orchard at DP? If yes. We go Orchard.. Coz there is one big M&S there...

mixue79

Hi Jaz,

Thanks for adding me to Friendster.
Btw where is DP? Paiseh......me sua ku....heehee :p

Do u think MSq (Marina Sq) have nice clothes that fit us? Or u wanna try Vivo City? Got new shops there.....

Tentatively 20 Sept shld be fine. Unless I need to go back to wk last min. Where do u stay? Me usually at Bedok or my FH's place @ Sengkang.
Meet where & wat time? PM me.....

Btw any plus size brides free to meet us for early lunch and shopping too?

Take care,
Michelle

jc79

Hmm fyi too...

aside to M & S (usually $100 & more), china town and simei have plus sized gowns too...

For my friend's wedding recently, I got a 3/4 black dress for $80plus quite cheap and worth

mixue79

heehee.....jaz, I know M&S is Mark and Spencer.
So DP is Dorthy Perkins.......hardly go there.
Where can we meet? We can exchange hp no via friendster or PM via this forum yah?

Btw jc79, where did u buy the black dress for? Where in Chinatown and Simei can we find plus sized gowns or pretty dresses for wedding?

jc79

at Simei, there's at least 4 shops for plus sizes on 1st & 2nd (the one with evening dresses is opp nail palace), another one call New york, one more opp kobayashi...1st floor got a shop on cotton items, have XXXl...

hope this helps
happy.gif

mixue79

Hi jc79, thanks for the tip
happy.gif
Really appreciate it. Will go take a look.

At East Point beside Simei mrt? Which shop did u buy ur 3/4 black dress for? Hope u can post a pic of ur lovely black dress.

Heehee...black is one of my fav color cos it will make us look slimmer. But dunno my future mother in law will nag if I wear black to the wedding of my FH's cousin or not.

Cheers:p

jasyeo80

Hi Hi, I'm also a plus size brides.
Anyway, went shopping at Marina Square last sat, passed by the shop, they bring in clothes for plus size lady, the shop name is Attitude. Can check out it out there. They just open for biz not long, so there is still more clothes coming in. This is what the lady told me, think he is the boss.

tingtingz

Hi girls,

I'm a size 16 chubby girl, i MTM my ROM dress at JHC. I was really worried about buying a dress from the boutique as i'm really busty and normally size 16 dress can fit my hips but not the bust. So no choice, went to mtm. So far, quite happy with the end product. Looking forward to my ROM next friday.

I kept wanting to slim down so badly... but no matter what i do, still no results..haiz..sad..

mixue79

Hi Jaz,
Nice having u as my new fren
happy.gif
Thanks for sparing the time to accompany me to shop & also bringing ur portfolio photos to show me. I enjoyed myself.

Really touched that u have invited me to be ur jiemei too but I gotta decline cos have another sec sch fren's wedding on the same day. Also working night shift till 9pm. So gotta find someone to swop to morn shift now.....

Hope u will find lovely wrist corsages for ur jiemei team. U can consider the crotchet flowers as well as those ribbon ones which I helped u find @ Bugis. Hv u seen all the photos that the stall owner helped me to take on my HP & MMS u last nite?

Take care & cya soon
happy.gif

Mich

mixue79

Hi Jasmine Yeo (jasyeo80),

Thanks for sharing with us abt that Attitude shop. Where is it located in M Sq? Which storey and near which shops?

Cheers,
Mich

mixue79

Hi tingz (tingtingz),

Where is JHC? What is the cost of ur MTM ROM dress? Must be really sweet. Pls post some photos to share with us.

Mich

tingtingz

Hi Michelle,

JHC is Jess Haute Couture, a BS in North Bridge road. There is a thread under the ROM catergory, I found this shop from there too. I took up their $398 ROM package (http://www.jesscouture.com.sg/promotion.asp).

My gown is a off-white halter-neck knee length dress. (the maroon dress featured here.. http://www.jesscouture.com.sg/gowns.asp?cat=3)

I left my gown at the BS as I need to go back to the shop for make up on that day so left my dress that. Will take pic then let you girls see.

jasyeo80

Hi, Michelle
The shop is located at #04-229A / 03-232. This is what they written on the card. It at those shop where selling all the clothes, just like edge, where it gather all the selling of clothes for teenage.

Hi MIZ,

my JM dont like the crotchet flowers.. They find it cartoon.. LOLz... Erm they are deciding on the one you send to me and the one we see at bedok.. Coz one of my Jm stay in BEdok.. SHe can perhaps collect for me. And another one working near BUgis... SHe may collect for me too... So let them decide then..

Thanks for the mms....

Great to know you too... Dont worry too much la.. As long as your bf say fine.. everything would be fine.. K k *smilez babe*

mixue79

Thanks tingz (tingtingz) & Jasmine Yeo (jasyeo80) for sharing with us on the M Sq shop and the Bridal shop too
happy.gif

mixue79

Hi Jaz,

I would vote for the flowers braclet @ Bugis.....but u gotta order earlier........the stall will only be there till end of Sept. It just right infront of Singtel Hello shop.
Hope u will find one that u like.

Btw very sorry for being unable to be ur jiemei for ur wedding cos I gotta attend my sec sch classmate's wedding dinner after wk on 20 Oct 07.....Touched that u asked me even though we just knew each other
happy.gif

Cheers,
Mich

Hi MIch,

I went to that bugis shop yesterday le... I got some for my hair-do.. As for wrist corsages, my JM say they will settle... Ok lorz.. let them decide what they like that suit mt day...

Thanks gal.

mixue79

Hi JaZ & all ladies here,

Dun mention it. Glad tat u like the the handmade flowers & ribbon corsages from the push cart at Bugis. Just happened to walk by after class so helped u asked the stall owner....

Btw some update on the wedding dinner of my FH's cousin which I had attended on Sat 29 Sept 07.
Everything went on well during the wedding dinner.

I bought some basic makeup stuffs from Benefit counter at Tangs Orchard. Did my own makeup......simple natural makeup.

Also bought a new white sleeveless top with pretty brown design + my own chocolate brown cropped jacket + a 3/4 dark olive geenish skirt with a new pair of heels.

Jaz, I took ur advice to wear the same skirt tat I bought to show u when we met at Eastpoint tat day. Thanks =)

Will post some photos by next week. Check out my friendster yah!

Once again, thanks so much for all ur advice, everyone =)

Take care!

Cheers,
Michelle

msb

hello all...

i am a plus sized bride to be, i'm not sure what size i am, i am pear shaped my bottom is really huge. i can only fit into size 18 or 20 tops from dorothy perkins, and i can't fit into their bottoms at all. i am on the brink of contemplating not taking any wedding photos at all, but deep deep inside i do, but i'm just scared i will spoil the photos :-(

can anyone please help recommend me any bridal shops which i can take my wedding pics from? my wedding should be taking place some time end of 2008. can share with me some of your pretty pics which u have taken? i really feel very demoralised and i really need a good advice...

mixue79

Hi jbat,

I'm Michelle. I'm in the customer service line. My AD will be on 5 Oct 08. Care to intro urself pls?

Jus wanna tell u dun give up ok? I'm chubby too. How abt we can meet up and pore over bridal magazines to discuss and narrow down a few birdal studios and visit them together.

We must also negotiate a good bridal package for MTM for our wedding and evening gowns. What's ur budget for the bridal package?

Btw can anyone share ur montage/ slideshow with me pls? My FH & I are looking at either engaging someone to do ours if not too exp or we can try to do our own. So need some advice and help from all of u here to get started....

Thanks so much in advance =p

Cheers,
Michelle

por

hi gals,
I am also a plus size bride. my AD is on 11/11/07. Currently still got a list of things pending.. and my GDL is on 27/10/07 which is also 1 of the day looking forward to cos it means another major item can be removed from the pending list liao... meanwhile i also trying to lose somemore weight before my AD but as you all know lah... to put on weight is so easy for us but to lose a few KGs is so so so hard for me... dun even mention 10Kg and above lor.. cos i plus plus size, therefore by losing a few KGs also doesn't make me a great difference... anyway just do wat i can without affect my health lor..
happy.gif

por

hi Michelle,

wow... you still got 1 year time before ur AD wor.. can slowly do a bit of things here and there... but it seems like there are alot of things to do yet it seems like we got nth to do... hahaha.. i am confusing liao.. always heard ppl said wedding preparation will make the bride very busy but i am like quite nth to do de lor... is it i missed out somethings or wat.. haiz.. funnie..
happy.gif
now just hope i can faster view my PS photos and have them selected for album.. still waiting for my BS for the date of photo viewing.. shall be next week bah i think.. however i really missing my PS day, it was fun altot tiring.. heehee
happy.gif

por

Hi jbat,

You shall take ur wedding photos in case it becomes ur regrets in future. I am also a plus plus size bride and for my top in DP, i can wear from size 16, 18 and 20.. haha.. normally if it is shirt, i will go for size 20 else there will be hole inbetween the buttons at my chest area.. haha...
anyway, dun worry and scare to take ur wedding photos.. as the PG will know how u take ur angle, adivse u on the posture, angle, etc.. and will not capture the angle tat exposed our fat-ness.. haha.. you will be surprised when u look at the photos... so dun worry ok..
happy.gif

jazzy_chimes

hi jbat, don't worry ... we're all plus-size here, just depending on how plus we are
happy.gif

I also wear size 16-18 tops and bottoms from Dorothy Perkins and my AD is in Nov 2008. Im giving myself some time to lose some weight .. but no matter I lose weight or not, I know I still want to enjoy my wedding.

So don't worry, a good BS will make you feel and look beautiful
happy.gif

I sign up with Bridal Concept, you might want to drop by and talk to them. They have experience with plus-size brides, they can even show you an album of plus-size bride.

mixue79

Hi ladies,

Does anyone hv any experience with Style Bridal at Tanjong Pagar Complex (opp Paya Lebar mrt)?

We hv only seen Style Bridal so far. Dunno whether to sign up a package with them or continue on our search for a BS......

Can anyone recommend a good and responsible BS that has experience with plus size brides and also does not hv hidden costs pls?

Many thanks.

Cheers,
Michelle

jazzy_chimes

Hi Michelle,

I think you shouldn't rushed into signing up a BS, especially when you've not seen the others. You should see a few more and make comparison.

Why not read the Plus-size Brides thread from the Bridal Boutiques and Services section of this forum. A lot of us are chatting there instead. Then you can also find out what are the BS other plus-size brides go to. A few of us are signed up with various BS, namely Bridal Concept, Precious Moment Bridal, J & M, Golden Horse Award, Jawn Ever After etc

mixue79

Hi chimes,

Thanks so much for ur advice. Will take a look at other Bridal Studios. Will also drop by the other thread
happy.gif

I stopped by a Bridal Fair @ Bugis Junction yest.
Was tempted to sign up with Bridal De Couture.

The bridal package was $3388 with normal std stuffs with MTM for WG & WG + 40 poses. Originally was 24 poses then they added more when I wanted to leave. But in the end, I still leave cos my buddy asked me to look around 1st.

Has anyone signed up with them before?
Any positive or negative feedback pls?

Thanks.

mixue79

Btw Chimes,

Pls let me know the link for the Plus-size bride thread? Heehee.....I see stars liao........so many threads under the Bridal Boutiques and Services section......

Thanks,
Michelle =)