(2002) Brides of year 2002

partygal

Hi Nicole,

Yeah, I like the waterfall too. Mine is on 26th Dec, Boxing Day. As for why I chose Choon Huat, me and my friend saw his portfolio and we like it. He doesn't specifically differentiate between Traditional and Journalistic. Think his include both, which I think for the price, is quite worth it. Also, he doesn't have fixed hours, like from 7am-2pm or 7-11pm, which means I might be able to take some outdoor shots in the afternoon if time permits. And most importantly, he is a nice person. Very important to be able to get along with your photographer.

starfruit

Hi all,

sorry sorry for Missing in Action. I have been trying to find this thread for the past 1 week. didn't know that it was pulled under the topic of "Meeting place for all brides". *sigh* when i came into "anyhting under the sun" i thought the "meeting place for all brides" was just another message posted by any brides.

ok ok.. outing is still on. We will go to some plec economical and it seems like the prefereed day is a weekday. I have settled ona date. Pls see details,

Date: 11 Febuary 01
(About 3 weeks from now, so its ample notice for all)
Day: Monday
Time: 7:00p.m.
Location : Obrien Sandwich Bar (City Link) , Black Tea Box (City Link), Cafe Cartel (City Hall), and worst come to worst , if the group is too big, we can settle down at some fast food resturant. Pls pick one.

Pls give feedback? are u gals ok with this?

chemson

Hi LMF,

Same here..I am of a bigger frame and have rather large arms...for my EG... I am having a shawl too.. so... rest assure.. we are in the same boat..
happy.gif
I have seen another bride-to-be having a shawl with her EG as well....

girl

Hi Nicole,

Yup, I'll be having the church service just before the dinner.
We'll be using the waterfall terrace for the church service.
It can seat less than 200 people so we'll probably be inviting only relatives and church friends for the service.

Have you started planning for your church service yet? I'm not really sure what will be needed, eg altar rail, communion cups etc and whether we could borrow items from church.
How will you be getting these items?

jenjen

hi starfruit... 11 feb is Chinese New Year eve leh... everyone will be going for their reunion dinner... can change or not??
lame.gif

crayon2512

Hi Lollipop
Yup. apt this sat. Hope the visit wil be able to assure me..of my choice! I tried to neg. wif them liao..but the lady says can't liao..stating tat my package is already quite good.

angelia

hi starfruit,

tot u MIA, so *volunteered* to arrange for the gathering.
lame.gif
so glad u'r back.

11 Feb is "chu-xi" leh. everyone will be having reunion dinner at home! can bring the date earlier? say, 01 or 08 Feb (pref fri cos wkend mood mah)

7pm is fine with me. as for the location, r we meeting for dinner or we'r supposed to take our dinner b4 meeting? (does Black Tea Box serves dinner?)

lollipop

crayon,
u want to share your pkg with us? how much did you pay for your pkg?

yes, hopefully, this sat's appt will be able to set your heart at ease. i know how it feels because i went through that stage myself. it wasn't a good feeling, but i had to trust our judgement at times...and the first appt turned out well!

kat22

hi chemson,
yup, she told me abt planning to renovate her shop when we were deciding my next appt wiz her. prob a small reno job i think...can't imagine she close shop for a few weeks! me bought the shoes at robinsons raffles city...only $49!
happy.gif
wah, so x to make a cheongsam! maybe i wld just stick to the kua ;)

hi LMF,
dun worry, i am sure u will carry it off nicely...in fact, i personally feel that a shawl may not look as nice on a small built person 'cos it might overwhelm her n cover instead of compliment her EG...

hey, gals. me thot of hving my solemnisation ceremony during the wedding dinner. any idea abt the sequence? what u think of this sequence: march in wiz dad, after ceremony, cut cake, go back to seat n start dinner, then match in later as Mr & MrsXXX after change into EG n pour champagne?

och

hi lmf,

i'm quite big frame n hv super large arms. i'm hving a shawl too with my tea dress. i've seen several pple of my size or bigger hving shawls, it looks good on them, definitely not unsuitable. but try some shawls on n see if u like their effects first lor. different materials can create very different effects.

i think the biggest problem with shawls r their inconvenience when the couple is getting sabo'ed.

crayon2512

Hi LolLipop,
Sure. My pkg $3388 includes:
1 MTM WG
1 MTM EG
1 OTR Tea Dress
2 Jackets for groom.(Can be MTM if can't find any we like)
1 MTM Pants to keep
2 Bouquets of fresh flowers (1 for actual day and 1 for studio)
6 corsages (small flowers put on the suit)
4 makeup session : Trial, Actual day, actual nite,
studio
Free rental of Hair accessories and jewelleries
Free Rental of Mercede Car (the design is 1 big and small eye type, silver colour.
>With free driver and petrol
>Car Decorations
>7 hairstyles and gowns to wear for the photoshoot indoor and outdoor photography
>1 signature banner
>1pc 30" by 24" photo with transparent frame
>24 pcs of 15R photo
> 20 pcs of 5R Photo albums
> 60 pcs of 3R photos (to be given away, can choose
> from 10 poses)
> 1 pc of 8R table top
> location for phototaking 2 - 3 places
> Free rental of 2 jackets for fathers (drycleaning is
> free)
> If we need actual day photography $250, films and
> developing of films
> done
> by us.
>

L

lmf

Hello och & Kat22,
Much relieved to know that the effect will be good on big built ladies. What have you been planning to do? Thinking of oudoor locations? Working out angbaos for "ah yees & brothers" with FH? Discussing with ah yees how to tekan your FH?

crayon2512

hi lollipop
Actually i was attracted to all the freebies they offered, so i signed up.
waiting for sat to come..then can be assured!

chemson

Hi Kat22,

One of my colleague did her solemnization in the nite.... however, punctuality of the guests is very crucial. The sequence was as follows:
1. March in groom and bride.
2. Groom and Bride proceeded with solemnisation ceremony.
3. signing of the docs
4. Commencement of dinner

Hope this helps. Oh yes.. hope the renovation does not coincide with my fitting in March... can't imagine her closing down for a few weeks... :p

lollipop

crayon,
Indeed your pkg is attractive. For the same price, my pkg doesn't include jackets for the fathers.

go down this sat and see see look look. if they are able to come up with beautiful designs for you to try on, i'm sure the design for your gown will be nice as well. and since the gowns will be pretty, it is worth going down from west to east... furthermore, u dun always go to the bridal studio right?

och

hi lmf,

i'm slacking....
happy.gif
only thing i've been doing these past weeks is to look for a corset. still hvn't found any. um... hubby n i decided on the presents to give our parents during the banquet. it din take much effort, since we agreed long time back on the meaning n budget.
happy.gif

on our lists for the next: identify helpers including the "sisters" and "brothers", book a bridal car (!!), buy shoes. let's hope we will actually get down to completing these tasks.
lame.gif
what abt u? any plans?

chemson

Hi och,

I have a place to recommend for a really really good corset. The shop is located at Palai Renaissance and it's called The Lingerie Shop... 2nd level...and they have got this really good and comfy corset.. made out of lycra... two colours... black and white... but then... the catch is that you must be prepared to pay cos it cost around $300. I personally got it cos it is so comfy and it fits me so well.. cos got a tummy... you might like to go and visit the place.. look for Irene. Hope it helps.

L

lmf

Hello och,
Right now, waiting for my ist fitting date to come soon. Meanwhile, trying to figure out some locations for outdoor shooting. Also, just managed to find 2 ah yees. Do you know whether on the bride's side, must he find any guy friends to help or the groom will have to find the guy friends. Not sure about all this stuff. More to learn.

L

lmf

Hi Septembergal,
How are you? Feeling better over the weekend? Or already settled certain things over the weekend? Is your email still not working?

novbride

hey Crayon,

my brother signed up with Fame Bridal in Yishun too but his wedding is over liao...I liked his wedding photos! very well taken loh..their pkg cost $2988 if I'm not wrong. i heard their service is good, that's all i can say...since you already sign up with them liao and there's nothing in particular that u dun like abt them, then just enjoy the whole process ya
happy.gif

och

hi lmf,

so far as i know, no fixed rules regarding sisters n brothers. usually, the groom will prefer to get his friends to help out. easier to discuss strategies of breaking into bride's house with friends mah.
happy.gif
but i've also helped out at weddings where the groom doesn't hv any "brothers", only the bride's "sisters" r around to help throughout. so any way u want to do it, it's fine.

crayon2512

Hi Lollipop,
U can always nego. for free rental of fathers' jacket..from the shop..if they dun allow..maybe u can propose paying for the drycleaning? coz its not worthwhile to buy a suit
i guess i might have to go down few times..at least 3 times. to take measurments for gowns, take studio photos,collect photos,collect gowns.

Hi Novbride,
Which photographer they took? is it a young chap?
when is their wedding? many years ago?

novbride

Crayon, I think your pkg is very comprehensive, even iclude car rental!
happy.gif

dear all,
My bridal pkg budget is abt $5K. I like gown that's clean cut and elegant with little embroidery and beadings, would prefer duchess satin. As for photography, I prefer digital photos cos they're very sharp and clear and I like the idea of keeping all my photos in a CD-ROM. I like ChrisLing photography in particular, he belongs to the Compass photo group.

maybe you can help me with this...i've gave my comments on these boutiques i've shortlisted...hmhhmm..maybe can serve as a general info for those who are still hunting around too...
happy.gif

Margaret Brides pkg is $4880 (medium-size gown), have to top up $200 if i want full-skirt type of gown. I like digital photos and she only tie up with Studio D-fia Kim (conventional photos), so I've to top-up another $300 to get the digital ones. MB tie up with good florist (Green Points) and good tailor for man suits (Oxford tailor) and good makup artistes. I've happy with Margaret's service, I think I can click with her, very personalised attention.

Bridal Veil pkg is $4980. Difference is they include a pair of MTM shoes from Leaping Lizard for keep, 1 extra OTR man suit for photoshoot. They made the man suit in-house, makeup artistes and flowers are in-house. They tie up with Studio D-fia Kim and ChrisLing. They service is very professional, seldom talk to Michelle, the designer but personally feel she's not as approachable as compared to the other 2, but I can say her service is very professional. My hubby thinks highly of her, think she'll do I good job! So far, their pkg is the most comprehensive one, that's what strongly draws me to choose them also...BV gown are more simple cut with crystals, looks unique and elegant.

Silhoutte pkg is the most ex one, $3980 + $2000 for photography. I like the designer alot, she's very friendly and patient, most comfortable with her. Their gown are very dramatic, with beautiful embroidery! They tied up with good makeup artiste and florist they tied up is Steffi.
Overall, best service goes to Silhoutte, best pkg goes to Bridal Veil. MB service is the rated second and her pkg is rated second. hahaha..I ma chang giving awards...:p

crayon2512

Hi Novbride
Seems like u have done lots of research on these 3 bridal shops. wah..silhoutte pkg so ex..$5980..wah..expensive man! think it should include everythin..actually if you count everyting, think MB pkg is good..and since u can click with the designer, they have good links with tailors and florist. Forking out the extra for the type of photography u like..then its okay wat.

For BV, if the designer is not approachable and yet professional..i find there is no pt in getting their package. Wat the designer think is good doesn't mean its your opinon/views.

its up to u..to judge wat u really wan or wat u are really concerned abt.

novbride

ya Crayon, I think I've done too much research! abit regret why I spent so much time on it
sad.gif

My hubby like BV, he kind of influence me also loh... somemore the pkg is quite attractive...sometime i think, it's just a wedding ceremony and if i spend so much, i may regret later..cos i still got my new flat to reno...

my bro forgot the photographer name, he's checking out, will let you know tomorrow...

lollipop

hi novbride,
if u ask me, i'd prefer bv. i think bv is quir well-known for its beautiful gowns, and their designs exquisite. you can choose between elaborate or subtle handiwork... most of the gowns which i have seen on mag are quite nice.

yes, i have heard comments about michelle. some had said that she is aloof yet professional, some said she's friendly. guess we will nvr know unless we deal with her personally.

there should be other designers other than michelle right? if so, then perhaps you can find another one whom you hv more rapport with. what crayon said is also very true, we need a designer whom we can get along with and can understand our needs and wants.

what attracted me to the pkg you have listed is the mtm shoes, and since their photographer is the same as MB, that's worth considering also. And you mentioned you like Chris Ling as well.

just offering my thoughts, hope you are able to decide which studio suits you best soon.

good luck!

P

piggycola

Hi Gemi

Is Choon Huat a actual day photographer? Can you give me his contact? I think you gals are right, Dec is a good date esp 14 Dec, I had friends also getting married that day.

jasminetea

Hi everyone!

I'm also a Dec bride
happy.gif
My wedding is on 23 Dec 2002.

I have booked my dinner with MM.

Currently, I'm busy looking into magazine for gowns heee.. as I intend to go for photoshooting in June (as hubby is only available during school holidays)

How abt the rest of the Dec brides??

P

piggycola

Hi Jasminetea

Wow, that's very early for photoshoot. BTW whc boutique you booked your package with? I also went to speak to Pauline from Marina Mandarin, the package was ok. Saw from the other thread their crispy chicken and meesua is their specialty. I may be booking with Le Meridien or Orchard Hotel. What kind of gowns are you looking at? Any concepts in mind liao?

C

cynthiae

Hi Linda, need some info from you.

You are patronising a Sothys in Yishun, right? Can you give me the address? I am recommending my colleague who is living in Yishun to try Sothys products. Would greatly appreciate your help.

If not convenient to disclose in the forum, you can e-mail me at [email protected] (there's an underscore between arctic and hare).

Thanks
happy.gif

partygal

Hi Piggycola,

Yup, Choon Huat is my actual day photographer. you can call him at 96967828. He's a very nice person. No harm take a look at his portfolio and decide for yourself.

Hi all,

Not sure if the rest of Dec brides have the same concern as me. I'm a bit worried that Dec is a festive or holiday season, and many guests may be away on hols (esp mine which is right after a public hol).

P

piggycola

Hihi

At first I also thought that way, but on the brighter note, people tend to be in a holiday mood, so more cheery and more relax, people will tend to pop by straight after work. Those on leave also better still, can help
happy.gif
..But come to think of it, it is a holiday previous day, many will have to come back the day after to clear their work. I probably will distribute the invitation mid/late Nov. But verbally tell them early in advance so they can plan for their holidays.

janfyp

"Chu Xi" is definitely out for me. 1st or 8th would be fine with me. Venue: Anywhere is fine as long as there is food for me to stuff myself(in case i can't think of anything to say cos i very shy.)
rofl.gif
Time: preferably 7:00pm

Look forward to seeing all of you!!

Janice

kat22

hi, LMF
i hv been shopping around for wedding bands but can't seem to find that perfect pair leh
happy.gif
apart from my rings, prob will oso settle minor stuff like MCs, driver for my bridal car, etc. i am oso gathering ideas for my EG, flowers n venue decor.
oh yes, any idea what's guo da li?

hi Chemson
hey, tks for the info. yeh, i agree dat punctuality of guests is very impt...i will b calling up my guests to remind them to be on time. not dat worried abt frens & colleagues but more the older relatives...hopefully can start n end on time
happy.gif
is ur solemnisation on the same day as ur customary? whats ur program like?

chemson

Hi Kat22,

I have oredi ROMed last Oct 2001. So.. basically.. for my day.. have to get up early cos my mum is a teochew.. hubby needs to pick me at 7.15am... anyway, after that... pop over to inlaws' place for tea ceremony, take some outdoor photos, then back to my flat and then back to my mum's place for tea ceremony and buffet lunch... after that... over to Hotel to rest and get ready for the evening's events.

This is roughly my programme.

bluz

Hi Sue

me will be gg to the wedding present show this sat too!
happy.gif
my hubby actually prefer WP coz less pricer...i like imagegarden, one of their tied-up photographer too... however, i still prefer Silh's gowns..more elegant & well made..

so everything will be decided after attending the show
happy.gif

hi gemi..

ya, agree with u tt since Dec is a festive mth..many pple might be taking leave n go 4 hols! But Dec is also my fav mth of the yr coz it's festive mth & pple are more relaxed!
happy.gif

septembergal

hey gals, (och, blossom, lmf, kat, sheep, chemson, etc)
thanks for all ur encouragement! i really appreciate it...

we had a huge quarrel last week and almost wanted to call it quits!! thankfully we had a good talk and we're slowly ironing out our differences over this matter now! (the fact that i juz started new job last week does not help relieve the stress at all)

sorry my replies are gonna sound v. disoragnised cuz the posts are so long!

och, can u tell me more about ur bustier EG and corti / shawl? it sounds very interesting, and i'd like to find out more! eg what is a corti? how does it wear over ur bustier?

chemson,will take it one step @ a time!

we were choosing btwn feline & lezen. most likely feline cuz even tho lezen's OTR quite nice, their MTM is really expensive, and the package cost goes up cuz they tied up with the edge and utopia

sheep, wnet to try bustier...the lady told me i look fine buti can't assess myself leh...

gals, any diff in colour btwn off-white and ivory? was told that off-white is more white than ivory..are they the same???

lmf, will reply soon,...and thaks!

och, i also get mad @ everyone when i am stressed!
yes, i skiied before but taht was many yrs ago...now, i juz wanna relive that lovely expereience!!! i find skiing much easier than roller blading! at least the snow doesnt hurt when u fall!

blossom, take care of urself too hor? i am still stressed but getting better ...i 'm so glad to hear that u've decided to quit...i cld feel the relief in ur words!

i had a major op juz last yr, which explains why i am so uptight abt $$$ matters now.... and my perspective changed a lot after the op...

i may hv job lobangs but may not pay as well as ur consultant job leh...are u the biz type or technical type of consultant? maybe can talk offline? my eml is [email protected]

i shld be settling my bridal pack this sat, anyone got nasty comments abt feline, pls lemme know soon!

sheep, u must have a great figure right? i'm rather bony leh... :-(

wah, seems that i cannot take a shawl since i am so small built. (i scared cold)

banquet, btwn amara and merchant court? anyone got comments / comparisons btwn the two?
kat, i think i'll consider teh korea option..beggars can't be choosers mah.

lmf, getting better over the wkend, thansk so much! will be writing to u via hotmail. think smthing wrong with my starhub connection. as above, will settle on feline this wkend, and will be choosing btwn MC and amara..meantime i hv also been thinking about gown designs.

gotta go snooze...gdnite gals!

nicole

Hi Gemi,

My wedding is a day after a public holiday too. And I really enjoy that bonus because its like a long weekend for my friends and relatives to come and celebrate the joyous occasion with us.

As for yr wedding date,a day after Christmas, pple will still be in the jubliant holiday mood which is great.
happy.gif
However as piggycola noted, if u're concerned abt guests going off for hols, let them know in advance so that they can plan their hols before yr wedding and be there on yr BIG day.
happy.gif

Hi Girl,

Are u a Catholic?
happy.gif
I'm a Christian so I won't be needing to prepare too much stuffs for the service.
happy.gif
Chijmes provides the altar table, reception table, sound system, mics and the chairs. They do not provide the communion cups, unity candles etc. If u need it, I believe u can get it from yr church, ask them. Are u attending pre-marital counselling course from yr church? If yes, I am sure they will be able to provide the info for such stuffs then. No worries.
happy.gif

Cheers!
Nicole

girl

Hi piggycola,

Just noticed your msg above.
So you've already decided on your design?
It's good that you already have an idea of what you want.
I don't have any particular preference, and all the designs drawn up seem good to me so don't know what to do...maybe toss a coin
happy.gif

Hi Nicole,

I'm a Christian too
happy.gif
I've attended marriage prep course already, but it was more focussed on life after marriage rather than wedding prep. Thanks for your suggestion, will contact the church office to see if I could borrow stuff
happy.gif

chemson

Hi Septembergal,

I am taking off-white as my WG's colour.... ivory is more towards beige and off-white... is on the clear white of colour. However, you need to check which colour suits your skin tone better... for me... I am ok with off-white.

Who says you can't take shawl even though you are bony... of course you can... it helps to cover up your bony aspects of your body ! Shawl gives an elegant look !

As for MC and Amara... I know that Amara has started to offer promotions on banquet... MC is popular for banquets and the food is quite good.

Hope this helps. Take it easy and enjoy the planning process...
happy.gif
When you look back, you will realise that you and your hubby will grow as a couple and you learn things about each other more.

och

good morning everyone!

kat.... do u intend to cut the cake b4 or after ur solemisation? i think chemson's suggestions sounds v. good. after the solemisation, the mc can announce: mr n mrs xxx. then u can cut the cake.
happy.gif

septembergal, try http://www.zanndenn.com/. enter the site n go to gallery->custom gown & suit. under gowns, if u click on the down button 4 times, u will see a cheongsam corti over a spaghetti strapped dress. the organza layer is a corti, it's kindo of an additional layer that u can wear over ur dress. u see the buttons in front of the corti? that's for the bride to slip on n off the corti. most of the embroidery n accessories r sewn onto the organza corti.

my design doesn't look like the picture, altho the principles r the same.
happy.gif
mine is a bustier inside with a spaghetti corti. buttons r in crystals down in front n i will be buttoning until just abv the waist, like the picture. the rest of the corti opens out in a small a-line n a short train, which contrasts with the straight cut skirt of my bustier. when i'm not wearing the corti, i can use the organza shawl that the designer is providing.

i saw amara's photos. the ballrm looks quite good fr the pictures. but since it just opened, dun know much abt the food.
happy.gif

hey gals, r u hving a 2nd walk-in? i'm thinking of doing without it. what do u gals think?

och

hey septembergal, under marketplace n exchange corner, there's someone selling a feline bridal package. the package looks quite comprehensive. maybe u can see if a discount is possible.

sushi

Hi Arctic hare,

I can see that you are very kan cheong oredi huh? Don't worry too much lah, I think Linda has more or less answered most of your queries.

Songs: It's better to burn your first march-in song, first dish song and your second march-in song in one CD. Then put a sticker at the front cover, stating something like... first march-in, at 16th second, etc... Becos for some songs, you only come into the ballroom at a specific part of the song with more impact. If you specify like that, the captain and other cooridinator will know when to open the main door for the couple to enter. I hope this is not too confusing.

Also, have 2 persons to help in the phototaking. One holding the table plan, the other directing the guests to "get up" and get ready to take photos. The person holding the table plan is also to make sure none of the tables are missed out. It will be darn embarrassing if your guests ask to see your photos and realised that you have missed them out during the dinner, rite??

How about slide shows? Make sure someone is in-charge of the laptop and that he is IT sasvvy... must have backup plans should the presentation cock-up.

The liquor person is important too. Some hotels give you 2 barrels of beer free, let's say. Then at almost 10.30pm, some guests ask for beer and you have oredi used up the 2 barrels. The captain will inform your liquor I/C who then got to decide whether to open up a 3rd barrel. Bear this in mind, you will have to pay for the 3rd barrel and it's oredi 10.30pm! Most likely, you can't finish. What a waste.

Angbao person is important. Before the start of the dinner, everyone, including helpers at the reception area, will go into the ballroom. Who is looking after the angbao box? Then you have to assign someone you trust alot, to open up a safe box at the conceige, hold the key to the safebox till the end of the dinner (hopefully, you and hubby not drunk oredi).

Frankly, there's still alot to say but I am sure everyone is falling asleep by now. I am just contributing my 2 cents' worth since I got married last month.